Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Arno, well you certainly picked the weekend to study snow!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
norris, digging a pit is going to be hard work!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did the canadian level one behind Whistler on a similar deep pow weekend on snowshoes...it was hard work.

anyway should be an interesting weekend - have fun!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Certainly nothing in this evening's 12z GFS to suggest anything other than a substantial intensification of today's snowfall in the French Alps into tomorrow.

And continues to a lesser though still reasonable extent on Saturday.

WRF is pretty much ignoring the idea of a pause this evening and just drives it straight through, then pushes the accelerator down. It should be snowing very heavily come tomorrow morning.

Further out the period round 21 still promises further snowfall, particularly in the eastern Alps. And 23 December still sees milder temperatures.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VT has just posted:

Belleville Valley Warning
Due to severe weather conditions (heavy snowfall and strong wind) forecast in the next 72hrs, please be aware of the following important information:

1− traffic in the Belleville Valley will be greatly increased during this period, with peak congestion expected between midday on Friday and Saturday evening

2− in these conditions, it is highly likely that avalanche control plans will be put into practice on the road on Friday and Saturday night, which will lead to temporary closure of access routes to the resort

3− we recommend that you avoid any unnecessary journeys during this period and encourage your staff to do the same and to make use of the available car parks. We also strongly urge you to car-share when travelling to our resorts
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am currently at 500 meters in the Rhone Alps in France.

It is snowing heavily. Chains needed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, whereabouts, if you don't mind my asking? I have friends who live in the south of the region.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedantica, Near Bellegarde station.

Should be good when the wind stops.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, thanks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold, Pedantica, get a room
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Whitegold, Pedantica, get a room

the mind boggles....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, your mind boggles? What do you think mine is doing? Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm currently at 500 metres, in the Rhone Alpes. It isn't snowing heavily.

Pedantica? Your place or mine?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, Rhone Alpes is a big region, for sure.
Yours, I think, I quite fancy a day or two in Annecy. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belting down in Meribel, after a brief pause of an hour or so.
ski holidays
rob@rar,

i know there are webcams, but any chance you can go outside and take a picture and post ppretty please, and also any idea locally what the snowline will be tomorrow. sorry for asking
snow report
rob@rar, watching the radar (still) and looks like the worst of it is/will be going north of you so predictions of snow-mageddon may not come true.

Perhaps that is good thing, although GVA may be getting hammered Confused
ski holidays
phillip33 wrote:
rob@rar,

i know there are webcams, but any chance you can go outside and take a picture and post ppretty please, and also any idea locally what the snowline will be tomorrow. sorry for asking

Sure, once I've finished dinner and writing feedback reports.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
rob@rar, watching the radar (still) and looks like the worst of it is/will be going north of you so predictions of snow-mageddon may not come true.
There's be a lot of people with egg on their faces. But is still early - the snow is forecast to be heavy during the day tomorrow, and I guess that isn't on the radar yet?
snow report
sans doute others will have different views but the GFS model was always much more apocalyptic than the others about how far south this storm would drift... Perhaps they/it were/was wrong this time?
snow conditions
phillip33, here you go. Taken just a few minutes ago in Mottaret. My car in the centre of the photo was clear of snow earlier today, and now has about 20cm on it I'd guess. Not sure you can tell much from this photo, but there you go

I think the snow line is due to be 1000-1200m for a bit of tomorrow, then getting much colder towards the end of the day and in to the weekend.
latest report
rob@rar, nice! snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

My car in the centre of the photo was clear of snow earlier today,

What car?
snow conditions
jonathancarty wrote:
Quote:

My car in the centre of the photo was clear of snow earlier today,

What car?
The one under a pile of snow.
snow conditions
rob@rar VW Golf - am I right?
ski holidays
red 27, Kia Sportage.
ski holidays
rob@rar,

Awesome, when I,m out in jan are you around will ski over and buy you a beer or two pm if you can spare somentime, I,m carrying baggage wife and a few friends ou on the 2nd, enjoy the snow cheers
ski holidays
Quote:

I,m carrying baggage wife and a few friends ou on the 2nd

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
phillip33 wrote:
rob@rar,

baggage wife

I'd never get away with calling mine that.....
snow conditions
phillip33, thanks for the offer (and the opportunity to meet your baggage), but on the menu for January's skiing is Morzine, Niseko and Hemel. I'm leaving Meribel on Saturday for Les Arcs so hoping to enjoy the snow there for a couple of weeks.
snow conditions
it does look like the whole storm has swung north of Mont Blanc....

London is about to get a pasting - rain only though.
latest report
MazDave,

Nor would I , but she thinks I,m working. Laughing
snow report
Going north does that mean heading further east and austria get a bit more than forecast?
snow report
Where,s noza can you confirm red 27's comments
snow conditions
rob@rar, When you in Niseko?

I'm going to be arriving there on the 6th January! Very Happy
ski holidays
mattiwilkin, phillip33, I'm just watching the radar - nothing techy! It's a very fluid situation (pun intended)
ski holidays
sparkzter, end of the month.
snow report
Any sign of some snow for Frabossa Soprana area of piemonte?

PLLLEEEEEEASE!!!
snow report
The ENS model (probably more reliable than GFS in the short range) still goes for a massive dumping in the French alps north and south of the Mt. Blanc area heaviest in the morning but lasting all day. Unlikely you'd be able to see this ppn on the radar this far in advance.
ski holidays
Great lamp post watching picture rob@rar, look forward to this evening's. WRF suggests no let up. Indeed the heaviest snow may yet be to come (mid afternoon?).

Rolling forward although the snow on Saturday will be less extreme it does still look snowy all day and into Sunday. Most intense in the west, but with an arc reaching across most of the Alps.

Looking out further, GFS operational continues to suggest heavy snow in Austria for the middle of next week, but the operational may be inflating this slightly.

At least a brief period of milder temperatures seems likely around 23 December. A snowy Christmas Eve and day on the cards at present, but pretty low confidence.

Whilst the heaviest of this snow is definitely focussed at the French end, here is SLF on Switzerland.

High avalanche danger in western regions

- By Friday evening, the following amounts of snowfall are anticipated above approximately 1800 m: Chablais to Great St. Bernard, 50 to 80 cm; remaining western part of the northern flank of the Alps, remaining Valais, Gotthard region, 30 to 50 cm; central and eastern parts of the northern flank of the Alps, northern Grisons, northern Ticino, Upper Engadine, 15 to 30 cm; inneralpine regions of Grisons, 5 to 15 cm.

- The snowfall level will initially ascend to 1500 to 2000 m in the furthermost western regions by Friday midday, then subsequently descend swiftly during the afternoon.

- The wind is expected to shift from southwesterly to westerly and will be blowing at storm strength in western and northern regions, in southeastern regions at strong velocity.

- Massive snowdrift accumulations are expected to form.

- On Saturday, the snowfall is expected to continue in northern regions. It will be cold. The wind will be blowing at strong velocity from northwesterly directions.

And here are some ensembles:

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Eastern Pyrenees.

Bad Gastein.
snow report