Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
nozawaonsen, what's the outlook for the Scottish resorts in the next couple of weeks looking like. Will the high pressure mean cold with no snow, or will something be able to work its way in from oop north?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this season starting to compare with 2006-2007, which from my recolection was pants with very little snow and freeze thaw conditions.

I have a photo somewhere of myself skiing in a T shirt in Flaine in Jan 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, doesn't look particularly snowy to me at the moment for Scotland.

Interesting to see 06z toying with another low pressure system in the Mediterranean around Thursday next week. ECM 00z did the same. Too far out to have any confidence and doesn't look that serious. But will be interesting to see if it is still there tonight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timbobaggins, here's hoping not!

i remember skiing in Claviere and it was +7ºC each lunchtime for nearly a week - still had some great skiing though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timbobaggins, I don't think it is bad as 2007. Not even close.
It was only last 2 weeks which were very warm. Before it was cold and enough snow coverage top to bottom - all was open even in lower Austrian resorts.
Now cold is back again. Schladming still have natural snow at 750m (north facing slopes).
2007 was bad from start to finish at lower altitudes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seem to remember having a good Easter ski in 2007, able to ski back to la tania at 1300m in April!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

kitenski
snowHead
Location: Leeds, UKSeem to remember having a good Easter ski in 2007, able to ski back to la tania at 1300m in April!

Early 2007 was shocking. I was in bareges and it was t shirt weather january 07. The only snow was man made, icey and the pistes were running through rocky mountains and grass, really strange sight like rivers of white. awful times.
I went to les arcs in march 07 and it was fantastic, loads of snow and powder and great sunshine during the day, great trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom W wrote:
Timbobaggins, I don't think it is bad as 2007. Not even close.
It was only last 2 weeks which were very warm.
Exactly right. There have been good skiing conditions available from really early on (I was making fresh tracks in September) and just about every month so far this season. I skied knee deep, champagne light powder in December and it was cold enough for a touch of frostbite. There have been two warm and wet spells, one in December and one in January which have put a dampener on things, and unfortunate if you're in the Alps at those times, but I think writing off the whole European season is premature and doesn't reflect the reality of what's happened so far.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with rob@rar, this has been, and remains a perfectly decent (if not exceptional) season. Snow conditions here have been good since opening day and are still very good right now. Even off-piste conditions are still pretty good on north-facing slopes (I rode the Fogliettaz yesterday and a very pleasant day out it was too).

Definitely no need for doom and gloom.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meteofrance are still showing 4 days snow from sunday! no idea where they are getting this from as all charts I can see show nada....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spooky, was just looking there and about to post the very same thing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
is it wrong to say i need a big dump Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skinutter, you need more than a dump!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Definitely no need for doom and gloom

Quite agree ,its only 19th Jan for goodness sake , the seasons only just got going , remember going on a school ski trip Feb half term in Italy with only two runs open out of 10 , now that was a crap season .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Totally agree, no need for doom and gloom wherever you happen to be or happen to be going.

We've been playing this game in Scotland for years with marginal conditions for quite a few seasons up until the one before last and then last season there was so much snow we didn't know what to do with it lol! This seasons not been as good as the last but it started earlier and has been going now for over 2 months, we've had awesome conditions at times and then more recently a bit of a thaw but hey, there's still skiing from top to bottom and even a wee bit of fresh in the last couple of days in the east (10cm in the west by all accounts). All to play for with cold temps back and more snow is bound to fall at some point in the next few weeks ... all a bonus as far as I'm concerned, the only downer in the east is the off-piste is more suited to ice climbers with crampons than skiers at the moment but hey all it'll take is a good dump and we're laughing snowHead

In the Alps there are high slopes that remain good even if the lower slopes look a bit bare, so aim high if possible and just have fun.

My advice is stay chilled and enjoy whetever conditions present themselves, at least there's snow and no matter how much people fret it won't make a bit of difefernce to what the weather gods bring - just do the odd snow dance though wink
snow report
Quote:

Rob Mackley
user

remember going on a school ski trip Feb half term in Italy with only two runs open out of 10 , now that was a crap season

sound like a crap resort as well to be fair.
ski holidays
Quote:

norris

Location: Surrey Hills / FlaineMeteofrance are still showing 4 days snow from sunday! no idea where they are getting this from as all charts I can see show nada....

Well, thats the one I am listening to then Very Happy
snow report
mheadbee wrote:

Not really, just sounds like a small one - small doesn't necessarily mean "crap"!

Rob Mackley, was it in the Aosta Valley?
snow conditions
roga wrote:
mheadbee wrote:

Not really, just sounds like a small one - small doesn't necessarily mean "crap"!

too right...i had one of the best morning's i've ever skied in a tiny resort in the pyrenees with only 3 runs snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

too right...i had one of the best morning's i've ever skied in a tiny resort in the pyrenees with only 3 runs

Well yes, but you wouldnt want to stay there a week.

I must admit I got a bit bored in La Rosier last year, it was unbelievably cold the first two days at -40 windchill on the lifts and then the sun broke through and it was hot and no powder so we had to stick to the pistes. The lifts were so darn slow that you lost the will to live half way up so I was crying out for something else to do. Great for kids, but I wouldnt go back to somewhere that small again.
latest report
mheadbee wrote:
Quote:

too right...i had one of the best morning's i've ever skied in a tiny resort in the pyrenees with only 3 runs

Well yes, but you wouldnt want to stay there a week.

3 runs is probably a trice small but as they say 'horses for courses' ... and as they also say 'it 'aint the size that matters, it's what you do with it' Wink

A week there race or park training would probably be fine depending on the gradient and size of pistes/park, a week of recreational could be a trice limited I guess!
Quote:
I must admit I got a bit bored in La Rosier last year, it was unbelievably cold the first two days at -40 windchill on the lifts and then the sun broke through and it was hot and no powder so we had to stick to the pistes. The lifts were so darn slow that you lost the will to live half way up so I was crying out for something else to do. Great for kids, but I wouldnt go back to somewhere that small again.

Well given La Rosiere boasts 160 km of runs and 80 pistes (15 blacks - 32 reds - 25 blues - 8 greens) I'd say that'd be more than enough for many people over a week. Consider that many US resorts are smaller than that and they manage along with a usually large band of loyal skiers/boarders quite nicely. I guess to some extent it might be down to the different mindsets of the once/twice a year holiday skier who might be more intereted in racking up mileage and only skiing pistes (with whatever level of technical ability they might have) once or twice and those who might be looking for something different and perhaps ski more regularly during a season and are less interested in simply racking up mileage over a short period of time ... as they say 'it's what you do with it' Wink
snow report
I once skied Gosau...great little place, quiet pistes, great snow and had a great week. I am not arsed about skiing so many hundred metres a day etc etc I guess its horses for courses
snow report
boys - we are drifting OT...
snow report
yes red 27 desperate for snow of Liverpool Sad
latest report
norris wrote:
Meteofrance are still showing 4 days snow from sunday! no idea where they are getting this from as all charts I can see show nada....

It's actually snowing in Tignes at the moment. Very light but snow Very Happy
ski holidays
woohoo Smile
latest report
Hi all in saltzerburgerland - staying altenmarkt- rode Flachau today, it's been snowing since last night - prob 20cm plus up the hill - rode powder top to bottom all day - conditions great - snow cover good even down at valley level. Off to ride zauchensee tomorrow - prob even better up high! Oh and it's still snowing lightly- local forecasts give more over next few days!
snow conditions
Pattern looks broadly the same this evening. And am in pub.

Snow coming through in Austria. Sounds from some reports like it could be quite good. Another pulse coming through tomorrow evening by the looks of things, Looks good for Eastern Alps - though nothing huge! - and may also freshen things across the western Alps. Monday still holds potential for the east...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thats dedication Noza in the pub and commenting on the snow....we snowheads raise a virtual glass to you Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

No its was Monte Bondone in Trento , I'm sure it wasn't crap ,there just wasn't any snow , it was in the early eighties before snow cannons . But the main thing is that was a bad season and parts Italy hardly had any Snowfall over the winter , this seasons hardly got going and we've had more than they had in the whole season .

Quote:

Too right I spend 30 days a season in Ste Foy .

Meanwhile doing my Snowdance to stay fit .
latest report
meteox radar showing a line of cloud/rain should be over CH/FR alps around mid morning, fingers crossed something white falls from it snowHead
ski holidays
Snowing along the northern edge Bavarian and Austrian Alps - everything is white again outside my house! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
boys - we are drifting OT...

Sorry Embarassed

Reports in the UK at the moment of colder than expected temps around and I hear there could be a chance of cold coming in the from the east next week not sure how snowy it would be though - any thoughts anyone?
snow conditions
its odd as meteo.fr was still showing snow in tignes from sunday to wednesday now its gone completly not even one day of snow. booooo
snow conditions
Quote:

Well given La Rosiere boasts 160 km of runs and 80 pistes (15 blacks - 32 reds - 25 blues - 8 greens) I'd say that'd be more than enough for many people over a week. Consider that many US resorts are smaller than that and they manage along with a usually large band of loyal skiers/boarders quite nicely. I guess to some extent it might be down to the different mindsets of the once/twice a year holiday skier who might be more intereted in racking up mileage and only skiing pistes (with whatever level of technical ability they might have) once or twice and those who might be looking for something different and perhaps ski more regularly during a season and are less interested in simply racking up mileage over a short period of time ... as they say 'it's what you do with it'

The main problem was it was very warm and all the off piste was rock hard and un-boardable so we pretty much had to stick to the piste. A lot of the runs are very similar and repetitive with long sweeping blues that are amazing for kids and beginners, but slightly lacking in variety for the experienced. I loved the first 3-4 days as you could cane it down but after a while I was looking around for something else to do and due to conditions it was rubbish off piste. We went to la thuile a couple of times but because kids are so young we didnt want to stray too far away so wound up on the same runs over and over and with the slowest lifts ever made it was a bit tiresome.

Anyway, back to topic... is it snowing in chatel yet?
snow conditions
hmm, was there at 7:30am on meteo.fr but yep disappeared....merde!
ski holidays
roga, not very in the UK, high pressure just too dominant at present.

In the Alps there should be some further snow overnight in Austria. And the chance of some snow showers during today across the Alps. Stronger further east. Austria again looks like it might pick up some snow around Monday. Nothing huge, but still useful. Further west looks like there may be light snow showers on Monday.

Cold temperatures. Increasingly sunny from the weekend. Warming towards seasonal averages as the week progresses. Could be worse. wink
snow report
Just popped into Wigan and it's -2c here,'he whe of the north west is pretty cold and foggy this morning, the webcam at cairngorm is looking good today, no new snowfall but temps are below 0c which is good news!
ski holidays
It is snowing in Vevey at the moment. Not sure how long it will last, or how widespread though.
snow conditions
It has stopped now. It lasted a whole 20 minutes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy