Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Chris,
Yes that's the appartment we are Staying at too - Mrs and Mrs Fuchser - do you know them ?
Good to hear about the views... we've cut back on the accomodation cost this year as this will be the first time actually skiing.

So no red run home for us... not just yet Embarassed

Hi Suzy,
Here is their website http://www.hfuchser.homepage.bluewin.ch/fewo/index.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know them personally but when we have friends staying i suggest that apartment and others in the village that 'still' offer good value for money. The only downside is the walk up with the luggage when you arrive but just arrange for the luggage to be collected if you don't fancy the challenge.

The red is easy and by the 2/3 day you will be skiing down it with your instructor or on your own(depending on your ability of course)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Chris, (or anywone else with knowledge)..
last couple of Q's before we start packing finally... Bearing in mind we are complete novices, do any of the Ski rental places have boot lockers as such ?.. or until we get our ski legs are we resigned to walking up and down that hill behind the Hotel Eiger in ski boots ?..

and lastly.. any recommendations for restaurants for an evening meal or a lounge bar to relax in with a few glasses of wine of an evening ?
thanks again - you have been really really helpful leading up to our first stay outside Wengen.

looking forward to a change!
cheers Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It snowed all morning at Murren today, ceasing about 1pm and now there is some blue sky and sunshine. The weather has been good since Sunday. I went with friends to the Schilthorn on Monday and to the top of the Jungfraujoch on Tuesday, on both occasions sunshine, no wind and of course stunning views! Smile. I'm now sat in the airtime cafe in Lauterbrunnen using their free WiFi and consuming some of their excellent coffee and cakes (they do superb chocolate brownies Wink )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink, Is the airtime cafe in Lauterbrunnen very far from the station as if i have a very bad weather day during my visit to wengen it might be worth a visit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gamer2471 wrote:
Hi Chris, (or anywone else with knowledge)..
last couple of Q's before we start packing finally... Bearing in mind we are complete novices, do any of the Ski rental places have boot lockers as such ?.. or until we get our ski legs are we resigned to walking up and down that hill behind the Hotel Eiger in ski boots ?..

and lastly.. any recommendations for restaurants for an evening meal or a lounge bar to relax in with a few glasses of wine of an evening ?
thanks again - you have been really really helpful leading up to our first stay outside Wengen.

I think Alfred's Sporthaus offer a free Ski Depot service each night but if not try Mürren Tourism (info@muerren.ch) and ask if they offer a locker service which is located cross the road from them.

With regard to meals I would try the following restaurants -

Thams Chinese Restaurant & takeaway (located on the lower Road)
Amazing freshly cooked food , its a MUST TRY while in Mürren ( Trip Advisor rank it #2 in Mürren) http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188084-d1770555-Reviews-Tham_Kok_Keong_Chinese_Food-Murren_Jungfrau_Region_Bernese_Oberland_Canton_of_Ber.html)

Edelweiss Hotel (located on the lower road and close to Thams which you will pass when walking to it from Mürrenbahn station)
Home made Pizzas (cooked in a pizza oven, one of the best tasting in Mürren) and the Hot stone which i would also recommend
Menus online : http://www.edelweiss-muerren.ch/en/restaurant/menus.html

Eiger Guesthouse Restaurant (located opposite the Mürrenbahn station)
Good range of quality food at a reasonable price ( Trip Advisor rank it #1 in Mürren)
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188084-d2078752-Reviews-Eiger_Guesthouse_Restaurant-Murren_Jungfrau_Region_Bernese_Oberland_Canton_of_Ber.html
http://www.eigerguesthouse.com/seiten/frame-e.htm

Winteregg Restaurant (out of the village, train journey or ski to it)
Superb home made rösti and lovely home made cakes with a great sun deck too and watch the world go by (pinched pic from the net as I don't have any good ones of the restaurant)

Hotel Jungfrau
Nice small relaxing bar inside and a great outside cablecar bar located on the large sun deck, good food from the restaurant with the added bonus in the evening of taking your drinks through to the large lounge with an open fire to let your food go down (good meeting point too)
http://www.hoteljungfrau.ch/en/home

Old pictures (igloo bar)

new picture (with old Schilthorn cablecar)

Plenty of other good quality restaurants to visit but it all depends on how long you are staying and your budget!!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 2-01-14 21:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
riverman wrote:
Alastair Pink, Is the airtime cafe in Lauterbrunnen very far from the station as if i have a very bad weather day during my visit to wengen it might be worth a visit.

It's no more than 5 mins walk from Lauterbrunnen station. If you locate the kiosk shop at lauterbrunnen station then at the rear of that building there is a ramp footpath that takes you up to the level of the main road, continue walking in the direction towards lauterbrunnen village and you'll find the airtime cafe on the right hand side of the road (just beyond Alpia sports which is on the left hand side).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking good for next week. http://www.bergfex.com/jungfrau-maennlichen-wengen/wetter/prognose/

Is anyone else heading out on Saturday?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Is anyone else heading out on Saturday?

Yes
snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
riverman wrote:

It's no more than 5 mins walk from Lauterbrunnen station. If you locate the kiosk shop at lauterbrunnen station then at the rear of that building there is a ramp footpath that takes you up to the level of the main road, continue walking in the direction towards lauterbrunnen village and you'll find the airtime cafe on the right hand side of the road (just beyond Alpia sports which is on the left hand side).

+1 for this place. It's also one of the few places in the Alps where you can get a proper pie Mr. Green
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't wait to visit Wengen on Jan 18. Was thinking about maybe having a lesson. Any suggestions please from where from the wengen experts?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was raining when we arrived mid day but is now snowing heavily. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you again Chris for the added info! will definitely pop in to see Mr Tham and have dinner one night... Variety and all that.. Been reading the Tripadvisor reviews and looks excellent.

One week to go, looks like we'll miss the bluebird set for this week.. But on the plus side seems like getting colder for our arrival and some fresh snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NE1 wrote:
Can't wait to visit Wengen on Jan 18. Was thinking about maybe having a lesson. Any suggestions please from where from the wengen experts?

Privat Ski School - they only do private lessons. Office is at the end of the Main Street opposite the Bernerhof. They're all good but if you can get Tino you'll have one of the best lessons of your life.

http://snowpro.ch/home/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not had lessons in years but know many who have, all recommend Tino at Privat
ski holidays
OP was fantastic today!
ski holidays
Just wondered if there is anything on for week after the Inferno race in Murren? I see that the Eiger guest house has some music on 29th jan.
The allmenhubel cafe bar has fondue evening on the Thursday 30th with torchlight descent ( has anyone done this?) any ideas on cost? Was it good? Etc?
Looking for some après ski and evening out ideas if anyone has any?
Thanks guys
ski holidays
Just wondered if there is anything on for week after the Inferno race in Murren? I see that the Eiger guest house has some music on 29th jan.
The allmenhubel cafe bar has fondue evening on the Thursday 30th with torchlight descent ( has anyone done this?) any ideas on cost? Was it good? Etc?
Thanks guys
ski holidays
Oops don't know why it posted twice Sad
latest report
suzysue2 wrote:
Thanks guys

The tourism Office create a flyer each week which is circulated around the village. They are best people to contact to find out what is going on in the village ( info@muerren.ch )
The fondue night at the Allmendhubel costs CHF35 pp which includes return journey on the funicular or you can do the torchlight descent (guided) at CHF50 pp. The torchlight descent is good fun which can be arranged with the ski school office.
snow report
DHO guiding programme for the next couple of weeks if anyone fancies a free days guiding around the region:

http://www.downhillonly.com/download/2014prog.doc
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
NE1 wrote:

Privat Ski School - they only do private lessons. Office is at the end of the Main Street opposite the Bernerhof. They're all good but if you can get Tino you'll have one of the best lessons of your life.

http://snowpro.ch/home/

Couldn't agree more. Privat and especially Tino are one of the best times you'll have!
ski holidays
Any news on piste conditions in Murren this week guys?
snow report
suzysue2, should be good, they got another couple of inches of fresh just 2 days ago, possibly slighty spring like, there might be a bit of snow or rain on Friday
snow conditions
DG - would you agree that next week's outlook looks a lot colder ?

http://www.bergfex.com/muerren-schilthorn/wetter/berg/

I'm a bit of a nutcase and like it cold - it was minus 27 two years ago when we were there... whole of Europe in deep freeze if you remember - loved it ! Very Happy
snow conditions
suzysue2 wrote:
Any news on piste conditions in Murren this week guys?

Conditions have been great but are deteriorating fast due to the thin cover and high temps.

At the very top today it was 1degC and very warm below, the bottom 1/3 of runs were in a mess with grass and mud showing through. It really feels like Easter skiing. I have heard that it is due to get colder at the weekend, but by then more snow will be needed for the lower runs.

The black run at the top was in fabtastic condition.

Kim at the top.

I dont remember where this video was shot exactly.

http://youtube.com/v/f-X0mPhzo4o&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 7-01-14 19:50; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Looks like the Schilthorn viewing platform to me. Thanks for the info, we go 25th so plenty of time for a drop in temps and more snow eh?
snow conditions
gamer2471, yep temps droping from Friday, which is why it's about 50:50 for rain or snow, next week should be plesantly chilled all week with a slight chance of snow every day, however Monday and the Following Friday or Saturday look most likely for a bit of snow, possibly as much as 20cm on Monday but most likely much less say 5cm.

JimboS, video looks like it's down the red run by the Kandahar Chairlift

Oh and they've started to prep the race tracks in Wengen, they had the water sprays set up on the Slalom course earlier today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes its a pity as we wanted to do the mens downhill run but most of it is closed.
snow report
Quote:
JimboS

I dont remember where this video was shot exactly.

http://youtube.com/v/f-X0mPhzo4o&feature=youtu.be

This is the no.15 piste (Bietenhorn piste) from the top of the Obere hubel 2439m with the Kandahar 2 str chair on the right.

ps. they say the weather will return to normal temp over the weekend
ski holidays
The Wengen area is holding up well despite the warm weather, just had another fantastic day up here.
snow conditions
That's my kind of piste........I am so excited Very Happy
snow report
When are you there NE1 ? I'm out there this Saturday for a week - I'll be the one falling over a lot Embarassed
latest report
They're building that damn bar again in front of my webcam Confused

http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml
ski holidays
Jan 18 for us, staying in the bellevedere/belverde (something like that anyway)
snow report
ah - you arrive as we depart !... have fun arriving with the race hoards Very Happy
snow report
View down to Wengen from the top of the gondola.

And over to the Muren area from the same point.

And the viewing point where we took the pics.

We had another fantastic day up here today.
ski holidays
JimboS, great pics Very Happy
ski holidays
The Europa cup race on the Laberhorn was cancelled today due to the snow being too soft. It was cloudy in the morning and very windy, Wixi chair was off due to the wind, but the sun came out in the afternoon and it turned out to be a great last day in Wengen.
snow conditions
JimboS, thank you for the pictures and hope you have enjoyed yourselves in this amazing place.

Did you enjoy Mürren and its ski area when you visited??

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 10-01-14 20:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy