Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
That would be nice 😀
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
D G Orf wrote:
Ok weather forecast for the coming week suggests light snow Christmas Eve turning Heavier during Christmas Day, with Heaviest Snow that night and Boxing Day morning, potentially assuming it stays cold enough expect up to 50cm over 3 days

The foehn is going to kick that into touch. I would build a boat and round the animals up into pairs on Xmas day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris_55 wrote:
Is there a civilised sort of place in the Jungfrau region with a nice heated smoking shelter where I could enjoy a nice Havana and a few single malts?

Gepsi Bar in the Hotel Eiger in Grindelwald, Sunday nights.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski shop prices in Wengen

Kim needs a new ski helmet, should she buy before we leave or when we get to Wengen.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, Fohn could indeed completely screw up my forecast, there's a suggestion of change in direction of wind but ...... I've made my best guess, it could however be 50mm of rain, since I will be stuck at home rather than in Wengen it will be up to those out there to make appropriate sacrifices to whatever gods you believe in for it to be snow and not rain that falls.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its Xmas week, I'll be making no sacrifices, except maybe for the Coop queue.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimboS wrote:
Ski shop prices in Wengen

Kim needs a new ski helmet, should she buy before we leave or when we get to Wengen.

Assuming you'll be buying in sterling at home, the UK will be cheaper - particularly if you avoid S&R. On the other hand, there's a much better selection here, and more knowledgable staff to help with fitting - plus she can get some help from the shop if she has any issues.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Stab, that's ruined my christmas..........

Why is it when I choose to go anywhere except 3V or Ek the snow decides not to put in an appearance that year? Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It could dump like a monkey, depends on the wind. Boxing day should snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
At the moment it looks like it will start with light (if any) rain Christmas Eve and this may carry on during the day Christmas Day, but towards the evening it should turn to snow even at village level, Boxing day still looks like a snow day to me, Friday may be light snow showers and Saturday looks like another snow day at the moment, the trouble is that at the moment the weathers slightly all over the place and a half degree variation in wind direction might result in massive dumps in Wengen or no snow at all
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just got a level 3 storm warning for tomorrow into Xmas day, 90-110 km/h under 1800, over 1800 130-160 km/h
We will see, at the moment its like summer here.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stab, not surprised it's blowing a Gale outside my house right now went out for 12 mins earlier got soaked thru!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've heard some people couldn't buy a lift pass for tomorrow becauseof this incoming storm, bet it turns out to be nothing but that could be my Michael fish moment right there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes another beautiful day here, well above freezing everywhere and not a cloud in the sky. The only thing everyone seems to agree on at the moment is that the weather will do something maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

My money is on another nice day tomorrow. This is not based on any meteorological knowledge however, so do not regard this as investment advice.

End of the Lauberhorn run this afternoon. Lots of snow here!

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stab, just love your sense of humour.........and it may be right!
snow report
Fabulous red tinged sunrise behind the Jungfrau this morning I think the weather is about to change
snow conditions
Left just hope it's snow and not rain Shocked
snow report
Apparently high winds at Kl Scheidegg Wixi Chair was shut about 11am Lauberhorn must have gone on a bit longer as the last people down went past the top of Wixi at about 2pm, Trains still running from Kl Scheidegg up, provided the temps drop tonight the area should get snow tomorrow
ski holidays
Brutal storm at Scheidegg - all transport halted. Fought our way down the rat run, totally sandblasted which I hope worked as a cheap facelift and I look 10 years younger tonight!
snow report
The cloud over the Jungfrau is a dead giveaway:

Still very mild. Trains to Scheidegg stopped about 3.30pm. No precipitation yet.
snow report
I said it would snow today Happy Enjoy it you lucky people
latest report
Gimmeln T-Bar is no more (Schiltgrat Ski area - Mürren)

The ski lift Gimmeln was monitored in March 2013 by the supervisory authority and was granted an operating license without conditions. The revision work in the fall of 2013 and due to defects discovered by the Schilthornbahn AG carried out an external audit of the lift have shown that the ski lift Gimmeln for a recording operation would have required immediate and significant investments. "On the one hand, applies to us 'safety first', on the other hand might not have the necessary work within a reasonable time and will be implemented at a reasonable cost," explains Christoph Egger, director of the Schilthorn Cableway AG. "The due diligence impossible Us commissioning this winter season," says Egger on. A short-term rehabilitation for the winter season has been tested intensively together with the manufacturer, but had to be rejected: The necessary measures would take several weeks to complete and trigger a disproportionate human and financial resources. For example, the replacement of the majority of the bracket including clamp and hanger would be necessary, which would be expected here with a delivery period of approximately eight weeks.

Board of Directors and management of the Schilthorn Cableway AG have therefore decided not to include the operation of the ski lift Gimmeln this winter season. About the future of the ski lift from winter season 2014/2015, the Board will decide during the current winter season.

Article : http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/128614
snow report
There may be a little more snow Saturday evening and Sunday looks like a snowday Monday and Tuesday should be excellent with further snow probably Wednesday, Thursday morning might be good but the afternoon looks (currently) like more snow
latest report
Ah, the Gimmeln looks like being consigned to history - a foul icy t-bar which should have been replaced by a nice chair years ago. Fell off it in my second week skiing and try and avoid like the plague. Will make the bog (sorry, bob) run back to the Shiltgrat pretty foul as it is quite narrow in places and crosses the footpath/sledge run. and so that just leaves the Tschuggen between Kleine Scheidegg and the Mannlichen (not too bad but quite long) and a few over at First to consign to T-bar scrap hell and then one might say Jungfrau has moved into the 21st century if combined with the new Mannlichen/Eigergletscher gondola project.
latest report
Much better day, about 40cm of new snow (pure guess). Incredibly busy. Pistes very soft and quickly turn bumpy - good fun everywhere.

Village looking a lot happier now!

snow report
countryman, I got told a number of years ago that there are problems with replacing the Tschuggen with a chair not quite sure what those are though.

When I started out both the Lauberhorn and Mannlichen lifts were t-bars, Mannlichen was a really steep pull at the end, the one I'm happiest they replaced was Salzegg, several nasty accidents occurred there, mainly because there were blind spots which couldn't be seen from top or bottom.

Mind you when my father started skiing in the area you had to walk from Kl Scheidegg if you wanted to ski the Mannlichen.
snow report
I remember the Salzegg and used to avoid it like the plague - also a very steep drop on one side near the top and unless you got yourself organised an uphill hike to the lift. The thought of hiking over to the Mannlichen in ski kit.......I have done it the other way from the Mannlichen itself (amazing views) to Kleine Scheidegg in walking boots but carrying my ski boots as well (sort of skiing/walking holiday with the OH) and the last climb up to KS was exhausting - beer was drunk in the station buffet on arrival.

Mind you I envied the various photos posted a page or two ago - I wish my parents had skied and I had discovered the pleasures some 25 years before I did.
snow report
Looks like the weather is about to change again, clouds boiling over the Jungfrau/Monch gap is usually a sign of an incoming storm
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My partner isn`t coming to Interlaken with me now. Would i be better cancelling my room and getting somewhere in Wengen or Grindelewald? Is it a big hassle to get the train up every morning?
snow conditions
If you can cancel with no loss now and get somewhere in Wengen it will save you an hour at each end of the day Deedee, but if not it's no huge hassle and by arriving at Lauterbrunnen you will have no problems getting on the trains, Wengen over Grindelwald every time by the way, Wengen is on a sunny plateau whilst Grindelwald is in a shady valley
ski holidays
Deedee, definitely stay in Wengen - you can ski for one day with the DHO and also the Ski Club of GB for free - just look for their programmes posted up in the village.
ski holidays
Complete ball-ache to travel between Interlaken and Wengen/Mürren to go skiing.......try and stay closer if you can

ps...its snowing again

Not bad snow depths now in the villages: Mürren 80cm / Wengen 40cm / Grindelwald 30cm / Lauterbrunnen 20cm
snow conditions
Preparing the tennis courts..

snow conditions
Hi all,
Been looking at the photos and weather updates on this thread with anticipation for our upcoming travels back to the Jungfrau region.
Staying in Mürren for the first time (usually Wengen) as this time we are going to cut our teeth on skis instead of the usual fun and games on hired toboggans.

Can anyone recommend the best place to rent skis in Mürren, or does it not really matter? Bearing in mind we are complete novices (having done only a few dry slope days last year) so service is probably more sought than levels of equipment.
Also is it best to rent/book before arrival ?

Ski school looks like we just enrole on day of arrival, but any tips for them will also be gratefully received. Very Happy

Thanks !
latest report
Our friends hired their skis from the sports centre but I guess it depends where you're staying?
The first time we went they hired from the ski hire at the Stetchelburg lift. Both gave great service.
snow report
Stager Sports have 2 shops (one located in the A Information/Sports Centre and the other is located next to the C Schilthornbahn on the lower road).
www.staegersport.ch/

Alfred’s Sporthaus (B located next to the Ice rink and only a minute away from the Information/Sports Centre)
www.alfredssporthaus.ch

Abegglen Sports is located opposite the Coop on the lower road and a minute away from Allmendhubel funnicular (next door to Hotel Blumental no5)
www.skirental-muerren.ch

They offer online discount if you pre-book,up to 20%. Depending where you are staying I would either see Alfred or see Pete at Stager at the Schilthornbahn.

With regard to Ski School, only one place with the office located behind the Hotel Jungfrau 7 (see map again). All excellent teachers but just be honest with your ability when planning which class you should be in
http://www.swiss-snowsports-muerren.ch/home.php

(hope my village map helps)
latest report
Thank you very much for the comprehensive info, greatly appreciated.
Will book with Alfred I think as we are staying in the Chalet Chännelegg, on the lane leading up behind the Eiger hotel ...so will be walking past Alfred each day I should imagine, on our way to ski school Blush
snow conditions
I know Chalet Chännelegg as I have arranged for friends to stay in one of the apartments in the past (middle apartment 1st floor), superb location with amazing views !!

You should also note you can ski right back to the chalet from the Palace *red run (saves you walking back Wink )

Anymore questions just ask
snow report
What a beautiful morning it is -

http://hoteledelweiss.roundshot.ch/
ski holidays
Any chance someone could post contact details of this chalet please???. I saw this last year when skiing back, it is in a superb location! Thanks guys x
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy