Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Something different but very good to see -

Chamois escape huge avalanche in the French Alps an avalanche

http://youtube.com/v/FLg5ei1WNDo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wengen last night. It's certainly clear!

From the tourist office.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^And that means cold enough for the canons?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NE1, I would certainly think so.
That's a great photo, Orion's Belt and Sword can be seen so clearly. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
provenjohn wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
gamer2471, 2 weeks on Saturday for us Madeye-Smiley

And us snowHead

and us, all 28 of us! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bit warm right now for snow making but it may be cold enough by the weekend, clear weather at least until Monday
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf wrote:
clear weather at least until Monday

I'll be there on Saturday afternoon, so I'll take that Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rumours are Ski Sunday are currently filming in Mürren this week wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrived last night. Everything looking very good - spring-like weather. Everything open except Fallboden & Innerwengen, no problem skiing back to the village. Village is very quiet as you'd expect this early in the season. Conditions reported good at Scheidegg/Lauberhorn, a bit on the hard side at Mannlichen.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Incredibly warm today. Heard someone say it was +10 at Scheidegg - it was true. Good skiing as long as you avoid the pistes that don't have cannons.

+17 when we got back to Wengen this afternoon.

Why is the smoke going straight down?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
telford_mike, have seen that before, in fact have seen exactly that before (same chalet), can't remember exactly why it occurs, I asked at the time, but I think the answer was either something to do with temperature inversions or the fohn wind, may also occur just after the fire is lit when the smoke is still relatively speaking quite cold
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh and the weather should start to get colder, reasonable chance of snow on Thursday this week (probably not heavy) with possible snow Friday, sunshine and clouds over the weekend until Tuesday next week with a much better chance of reasonable snowfalls on or around Christmas day, followed by possible light snowfall until the en of the week, probably with sunny spells, expect next week to be somewhat cooler
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf wrote:
Oh and the weather should start to get colder... with a much better chance of reasonable snowfalls on or around Christmas day, followed by possible light snowfall until the en of the week, probably with sunny spells, expect next week to be somewhat cooler

Thanks David, That's a relief as we don't want any more 17c days melting all that lovely snow - 10 sleeps to go!
telford_mike Great pics, keep them coming! - When do we get to see the new DHO webcam?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The 15 cutest villages in ski resorts - Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/10494269/The-15-cutest-villages-in-ski-resorts.html?fb
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sherlockis, new webcam should be in by the end of the week snowHead
latest report
I`m going for a week to Interlaken in March and ski-ing for 5 days. Is it worth bringing my own skis? Or is it easy enough to get decent ones hired there? Cheers
snow conditions
Deedee, I would rent if I were you - a lot less hassle.

Very quiet day up the hill today, a little less warm but still pretty tropical for the time of year. Pistes still very good - pays to follow the sun.

Tipi at lunchtime - deserted:

Scheidegg from the Lauberhorn:

Wixi:

Bumps, on the way home:

The run from Allmend back to Wengen is officially closed - I think they want to preserve the base until the next snowfall. No problem to ski it though if you want to. No signs of a change in the weather as yet.
snow report
telford_mike
Great Pics Mike, roll on the days when we can Ski outside school holidays to miss the crowds wink
snow report
Deedee wrote:
I`m going for a week to Interlaken in March and ski-ing for 5 days. Is it worth bringing my own skis? Or is it easy enough to get decent ones hired there? Cheers

If you tot up the transport costs (easyjet et al charge extra, Swiss include skis but are more expensive) and a service/wax then hiring in resort can make sense, and as telford_mike says can be much less hassle. Central sport charge CHF147 4*-CHF192 5* (£102-£133) including insurance for 5 days.
Any longer then the hassle factor is outweighed by the cost savings of taking your own skis
check out this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103759
snow report
Have been looking at hotels in Wengen/Lauterbrunnen and normally they do a value "package" of HB and lift pass for seven nights/6 days skiing (at least the one I usually go to does but they appear not to be this season) eg on the Jungfrau website - seems to be the odd 3 or 4 day package around but there seems to be a shortage of the seven day packages around - any recommendations or have I just looked in the wrong place on the pretty dreadful Jungfrau website?
snow report
countryman, Well in Wengen certainly the Falken and the Alpenrose are doing their usual weekly packages involving 6 day skipasses.

However as you can get a 20% discount on the standard adult price of a 6 day Jungfrau region skipass by booking online more than 3 weeks before the start date (i.e 258CHF rather than the standard price of 323CHF) it may be best to compare the price of the hotel packages with just getting the hotel accommodation and getting a discounted liftpass yourself. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
countryman, you could try http://wengen.ch/en/Holidays/ACCOMMODATION/Lastminute_&_Specials_ but generally there don't seem to be many offers, there are advanced order discounts on ski passes though

Also http://jungfrauregion.ch/en/Holidays/PACKAGES/Skiing_in_the_heart_of_the_alps_(Lauterbrunnen)

http://jungfrauregion.ch/en/Holidays/PACKAGES/Ski_the_Lauberhorn_(Wengen)
snow report
sherlockis wrote:
Deedee wrote:

If you tot up the transport costs (easyjet et al charge extra, Swiss include skis but are more expensive) and a service/wax then hiring in resort can make sense, and as telford_mike says can be much less hassle. Central sport charge CHF147 4*-CHF192 5* (£102-£133) including insurance for 5 days.
Any longer then the hassle factor is outweighed by the cost savings of taking your own skis
check out this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103759

Thanks Sherlockis and Mike. Couple of places through Alpineresorts in Interlaken seem to be about the same price as taking mine with me on the easyjet
snow report
Deedee wrote:
[Thanks Sherlockis and Mike. Couple of places through Alpineresorts in Interlaken seem to be about the same price as taking mine with me on the easyjet

The Outdoor shop in Interlaken has a 20% offer available for 3+ day rentals without pre-booking - we found that this was the same price as booking through Alpin, without having to part with any money until we got there Very Happy
http://www.outdoor-interlaken.ch/uploads/mandators/10/cms/2000/document.pdf
snow conditions
Giving Jungfrau a miss in January/early February and going to Austria instead. May give March (my normal time for visiting first week of March) a whirl if pricing and packages available improve. Really waiting (and could be waiting well beyond) for 2015 and the new lifts to Mannlichen and Eigergletscher.
ski holidays
Another lovely day.

The classic village shot from Mannlichen.

Val doing her carving thing on Honegg. Cannons on here mean good snow despite the southerly aspect.

A few beginners are starting to turn up now. Still no hotels open though. It's gloomy in the village in the late afternoon at this time of year.

Maybe some signs of a change in the weather - a few of those mares tail clouds. Air pressure has been dropping steadily for the past 24 hours.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 18-12-13 17:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ooooo, here's hopeing. Thanks for the photos, keep them coming.
latest report
Thanks for the pix Mike - really appreciated. Arriving Sunday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike, Loving the pic's Cool 17 days to go! snowHead
snow report
Murky, mild day here. A little snow very high up - freezing level about 2500 metres. Must be quite light as there's been no precipitation in the village.

The new DHO webcam is now operational - visit our webcam page at http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml to see it. Unfortunately the weather's so gloomy today that you can't see much further up the hill than Wengernalp.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:

The new DHO webcam is now operational - visit our webcam page at http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml to see it. Unfortunately the weather's so gloomy today that you can't see much further up the hill than Wengernalp.

great view, will you add the new cam to the webcam4insiders site? Very Happy
snow report
Has anyone been to the fondue evening and torch light descent at the Allmenhubel in Murren? It's always on a Thursday night apparently.
Was thinking of trying it but can't find any info other than what I've just said!
snow report
Is there a civilised sort of place in the Jungfrau region with a nice heated smoking shelter where I could enjoy a nice Havana and a few single malts?
ski holidays
Chris_55, sorry but Switzerland bought in a smoking ban in 2010, there are some places that have fewer restrictions but I don't THINK there are any in the Jungfrau area, besides Single Malts are eye wateringly expensive in Switzerland, I switched to Drambuie when there as it's classed as a liqueur which tends to be far cheaper typically less than half the price of a good Single Malt, some bars measure by eye and are typically generous with the measuring so if you must have a Single Malt find one of these bars and get close to a double for your money, hotel bars (non chain hotels) are often cheaper than other bars, in Wengen try the Falken hotel bar, if you are lucky you get a good piano player for free whilst you drink.
snow conditions
Weather wise only light snow I think today, currently Boxing day looks like it might bring decent snowfall (maybe 20cm or so) there may just be a light dusting Christmas day and it is just possible that the 27th may give a little rain at low levels however the 28th and 29th currently look like they should give a little more snow.
ski holidays
Chris_55 wrote:
Is there a civilised sort of place in the Jungfrau region with a nice heated smoking shelter where I could enjoy a nice Havana and a few single malts?

None that I can think of in Wengen, but some of the bars and hotels for the locals in and around Interlaken have glass indoor smoking 'rooms' with ventilation/smoke extraction for the hardened chain-smoking locals who can't endure the freezing temps outside. so it depends on your view of 'civilised!' as DGOrf says, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the decently priced single malts - the days of CHF2.50 to the (scottish)£ are long gone Sad
ski holidays
sherlockis, even in those days Single Malts were expensive
snow report
DHO Cam 2 needs some work, when the lights are on in the club room they reflect massively in the window in front of camera 2
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
DHO Cam 2 needs some work, when the lights are on in the club room they reflect massively in the window in front of camera 2

Yes - camera 1 is in the office away from all the members and their pesky lights wink

A little snow today - just a few cms. Colder though, and pea-soup fog.

Disaster in Interlaken:

ski holidays
Ok weather forecast for the coming week suggests light snow Christmas Eve turning Heavier during Christmas Day, with Heaviest Snow that night and Boxing Day morning, potentially assuming it stays cold enough expect up to 50cm over 3 days
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy