Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

pi$$ing into the wind.

might be the best chance of precipitation for a while, Rick. wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
noza style soundtrack for the next few days. Confused

http://youtube.com/v/ygVnP2DGuE8
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brian Very Happy It's going to be warm for next few days! Might as well enjoy the sunshine.

Japan? Apparently over 1m of snow fell in places yesterday... Wow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you like sun bathing the next few days in the Alps are going to be rather enjoyable... Though the sounds of melting snow won't be too far off...

18z pretty similar to 12z GFS. Again good operational and control runs. By the 19 January though things are starting to cool down to seasonal averages. By the 21 January temperatures cool down quite a bit further and could be 10 to 15c cooler than they will be tomorrow. That will be quite noticeable.

The possibility of what looks like a relatively small amount of snow midweek, 19 into 20 January, continues to crop up.

Otherwise next week has a lot of high pressure over the Alps, cool temperatures from mid week and probably a good amount of sunshine.

From midweek temperatures do start to slowly rise a little towards the weekend (still a fair bit below seasonal average). Then over the weekend more cold weather and snow comes in from the North East. Snow on Sunday 23 January and into the beginning of the week. Quite strong potentially in the eastern Alps. This evening's operational and control runs then take things quite a bit cooler. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should be plenty of sunshine around for the next week and spring temperatures... South facing slopes are going to take a beating, south facing terraces are going to be crowded...

All changes on Wednesday though!

From 19 January temperatures fall quite steeply. And if this morning's output is right they stay cold (-7c to -12c at 1500m), possibly cooling further, for at least a week (and the run ends still below seasonal averages).

Good to see this supported by GFS operational and control and ECM operational. Here is ECM for next Friday.

Both models go on to pull in low pressure from the north east around Sunday 23 January. This morning's GFS doesn't make it as snowy as last night's runs (at all), but I think it is worth keeping an eye on. Still looking like there could be a small band of snow around 19 to 20 January (stronger east than west), but nothing substantial for now.

So a warm period. Followed by a rather cold period, probably quite dry and quite sunny, possibly getting snowier in just over a week... wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 14-01-11 9:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen, yes looks dry again Sad just hope that changes as it could be sheet ice everywhere following this warm period!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
norris, don't think it will in the short term (with the possibly exception of something overnight on Wednesday). Slopes could be fast and hard.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i guess it will at least be possible to run some cannons where needed to patch up or soften up some of the lower stuff but yes a patch of snowier weather to mate with the cold would be good Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guys

Firstly, a big thank you to all of you who post the reports. I have learned a lot in the past few days.

A few of us are going to Grand-Massif on Saturday and as I understand it, so long as we go to Flaine (which are north-facing slopes and quite high) we should be okay for the week. We are intermediate boarders and beginner skiers.

We have previously been to Andorra and Bulgaria so this is our first 'proper' ski resort, if you like. Even with 'bad' conditions, they look to be better than what we're used to in Arinsal and Pamporovo in years past.

My question is this
: Flaine has 218 snow cannons and Samoens 58. Each night the temperatures look to dip well under the 0 degree level. Can the snow cannons fire at this and are they likely to be working overtime whilst we're there? I am thinking this might be the only thing that could save a disappointing week.

Thanks in anticipation!

(I will of course be posting whilst there!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Merc
welcome to snowheads
not sure about technicalities of snow cannons (although I understand most need around -3), however if you are staying in Samoens, you are really faced with a gondola down from 1600 metres anyhow. A great ski area though, and Flaine bowl is very good. Had decent snow here even in warm weeks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks, that is of course the other thing, the lowest we're likely to be is just over 1,500m in Flaine. Otherwise we'll be getting the lift down from Samoens 1600 into Samoens village at the end of the day anyway.

The temperatures on snow-forecast seem to all be -3 or lower overnight at 1,510 m in Samoens so hopefully they will be 'caning' the snow cannons.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mr_merc wrote:
hopefully they will be 'caning' the snow cannons.

In my limited experience, if they can they will...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just read this http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=520

I am now seriously depressed. By the time we come back on 22 January there will be sod all left Sad Starting to wonder if this trip is just a waste of time now.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saying conditions are "bad" is of course quite subjective. There will I am sure be quite a few people who will enjoy the likely sunshine over the coming week! (though certainly it is going to be very mild for winter).

Conditions off piste are tricky for variety of reasons at present. And I don't think the rapid warming will help things over the next few days.

On piste the issue will be more to do with how the resort manages things. I would imagine, especially somewhere like Flaine that you could find there are some very nicely groomed and pisted slopes each morning. The piste bashers will be doing their best to manage their snow resources to make sure the pistes stay in good condition. Whether as part of that strategy they will have the snow cannons going full pelt whenever it is cool enough I am not sure. I am no expert and this is probably not the right thread, but there are broader resource issues I imagine linked to energy consumption and water which the resort will need to consider?

Looking at the week ahead there are still some possibilities of snow around midweek, though they do look stronger the further east you are. This could of course change.

Certainly for the first few days of the week you could well find the pistes very hard in the morning and indeed you may want to be looking for the sunnier slopes first thing!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the Grand Massif ski area (home to the likes of Les Carroz and Flaine) it's +5C at 1600m. There's almost no snow cover off-piste on the lowest slopes, and on-piste it's only 18cm deep. At the top of the ski area, the snow is lying 220cm deep.

Hardly a disaster? Puzzled I mean, there's plenty of time for it all to thaw out before you go....

...Joke Laughing

I'm out in the french alps the same week...and staying at 1100m. what will be will b but there is snow, runs are open and i will have some fun...and there is plenty of time for cold and snow....seen it all before....enjoy Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

Starting to wonder if this trip is just a waste of time now.

I think you may be slightly over stating things. wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nozawonsen: Thank you for a no bs answer, that's appreciated.

I'm finding it very hard not to be depressed (and indeed to concentrate on doing some work, the day before I take a week off!).

'Bad' is indeed subjective. Three seasons ago we turned up to Pamporovo and there was literally nothing (although that evening we had 30 cm dump!).

I am watching the wetterzentrale site with interest, desperately hoping the 12z shows either an agreement for snow on Wednesday, or an earlier drop in temperature than is currently agreed. Hopeful perhaps.

Sunnier slopes in the morning may be hard work as most of them are north facing I think?
latest report
(sorry for the depressive comments! I go once a year and thought this resort would be ideal. I appreciate there are others with the same concerns!)
latest report
right with you...but so long as there is some sun and snow, no work email and no conference calls....I'll easily enjoy it. Fingers crossed for you (us)
David
snow report
mr_merc, Cheer up chap. Spring skiing is fantastic and this year we get to do it in January Very Happy I can't wait to get there. Don't forget your sunscreen snowHead
ski holidays
Cheers for the gee up matey. Appreciated.

Look out for me on the slopes; I'll be the one wearing a Shaun the Sheep costume (don't ask!) Wink
snow report
06z tracks the low pressure from the north east next Sunday a little too far east on this run... Plenty of time for it to correct that though.

Still seeing a small band of snow coming through the Alps on 19/20 January. More for the eastern Alps than the Western Alps.
snow report
nozawaonsen, what's the outlook for Scotland please?
ski holidays
Don't bother with the weather forecasts because we all know when you arrive in resort your TO rep will certainly tell you the snow is fantastic and it's due to snow on Wednesday for sure..... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
AS our last rep said, you can't win. Tell them it's going to snow and it doesn't and they are pissed off, tell them it's not goinng to snow and they will be pissed off all week (unless it snows). Standard response is snow expected around Wendesday. Which clearly is the case for next week Smile

I'm out in the Hoff nursing my IBT Syndrome on 26, hope it snows before then otherwise beer consumption will radically increase.
latest report
mr_merc,

I understand how annoying/frustrating it must be; almost booked a 'lowish ' resort in Austria for next week but decided best to play safe & went high at Cervinia instead; sure glad 'we' choose that now.
Anyway, I,m sure you will find decent skiing and have a great time .
Have a good one

Mitch
latest report
Thanks Mitch.

Well, we're in Samoens village but have Grand-Massif lift passes so can go right up to 2,600 m in Flaine so hopefully should be okay.

The 06z has just been released and there seems to be a suggestion of the cold and snow coming in slightly earlier in the week now. Hope that comes to something!
ski holidays
Mr Merc Looks like Wednesday before freezing at 1500 metres in the day, but a swift look at webcams shows good coverings on all slopes. You should be fine for on piste skiing, as the cannons will run whenever they can. Get some sun with a terrace lunch as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am both surprised and pleased with the responses, which seem to be no bs, but pragmatically positive all the same. Thanks.

I will post reports whilst I'm out there as a thanks Smile
ski holidays
mr_merc, You will be fine
I am a flaine regular (family place out there). looking at the DMC webcam from the top its looking pretty good - just stay high in the main bowl. The lindars nord chair is now open so that keeps you will above 2000m
http://www.trinum.com/ibox/ftpcam/flaine_dmc.jpg
I am out there from the 21st so also hoping for a top up..

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 14-01-11 16:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Smile

The fact you've been to Flaine before is confidence-inspiring. I feel much better instantly.

James.
snow report
mr_merc,
only about 100 times Toofy Grin
you might not get down the gers but it really won't be to bad.
ski holidays
Cascades is unlikely as well then I guess? Was hoping to get to that place for a beer, halfway down near the lake.

Do you think we're worth bothering with Samoens 1600? We have mainly beginners other than two boarders (including myself) who are mid-intermediates (i.e. just started to jump and comfortable on reds). We land tomorrow morning and will pay for a lift pass for Saturday afternoon too.
latest report
you would get down to the refuge de gers - but a long walk down below that if no snow!!! keep an eye out for the gers running (you never know) as at the junction half way down the cascades if you press the bell they come and get you on their skidoo - then if you eat, they will take you by snowcat back up to the Gers. I can recommend the mushroom omlette...
latest report
norris, just wondering if you could shrink the photo you posted or leave it as a link? Large photos like that end up distorting the page and means you have to scroll across to read anything.
snow report
nozawaonsen, soz - sorted.
snow conditions
ahem, can I suggest Flaine discussion nip off to a Flaine thread, as I keep getting notifications of a new post and think a huge dump has just appeared on the forecasts Smile
snow conditions
LOL
ski holidays
Sorry - no more comments from me.

The general weather in the Alps looks to improve at the end of next week according to thhe 06z. Is that better? Wink

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_646_ens.png
snow report
 brian
brian
Piste wise, I wouldn't have any great concerns about this weekend. The forecast is generally for clear skies so there will be an overnight freeze and it is January. So although it might feel a bit springlike it's unlikely to go slushadobadabulous except on S facing aspects. As long as the groomers do their job you should still have fun.

Off piste might not fare so well. I'm hoping that high and N facing might keep some good snow. While it's warm, there should be some spring snow where the sun gets on it. However, once sun exposed, if it doesn't get a good blast of sun again, we could be looking at some almighty crusts.

Time for all the new wide, rockered skis to earn their keep? Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy