Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for your help. Our TO is Thomsons and they charge.

BTW I am female, which is why I ask so many questions. Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LOL stab, is that so, well well well, for years I stayed in accommodation near the bottom of the Brunner Slopes, either a chalet or the Alpenrose so never took the time to learn that route, I assume they stopped using it as a piste when they routed the piste below the railway line so that skiers didn't have to cross the line and run the risk of being run over by a train in a snowstorm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NE1, ask your questions we're always happy to help
Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't skied the Jungfrau region for more than 25 years - I wonder if a lot has changed.
I remember it as mostly gentle skiing. Does it have much in the way of steeper off piste?

This was an earlier visit with my father (about 1956 or 57?)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, fantastic photograph Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, I have some of my parents from a similar period

There are steeper runs and (if conditions are good) some good off piste, but the majority of the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg ridge is fairly easy going though it does tend to have long runs
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wonderful photo - more please
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skilegs, I'll have to look in my mother's photo albums. However, lots here from my Dad and friends in the mid 1930s: http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/g556-dad-27s-30s-ski-photos.html (but possibly not in the Jungfrau). Not sure of the location of this one:
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball -- Dad Skiing-1932 Classic! - Cricket Jumper and Plus-Fours, and the 'shades', now that's proper turned-out!
And we goretex and techno-fabric clad wusses think it's a bit chilly sometines Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, Some great photos there! Very Happy

I'm not sure if the car in the photo had winter tyres Laughing , but it looks like the rear wheels were fitted with something (chains?) for grip on the snow?

Nice to see your old skis with cable (Kandahar?) bindings....

P.S Your Dad's girlfriend in 1934 St Anton looked hot! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Those days were pre cablecar on the Mannlichen, I remember hearing tales of how the ski school took its classes down the Mannlichen in those days, they'd start from Kl Scheidegg and ski the walking path (high level) to the Mannlichen, where they'd usually stop for a bite to eat and a glass or two of wine before skiing down to Grund, all of course off piste !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brilliant photos.

Lift passes booked and in the post. Thanks all
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi guys, last year someone posted a link to a site that was offering half price lift passes, I don't suppose anyone knows if they are available this season or not???
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not half price but they have got money off. Just put wengen ski pass online into search engine and it will take you where you need to be.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
suzysue2, If you look on the previous page I explained that the reduction this year isn't as large as 50% off (this year the reduction for a 6 day Jungfrau region skipass is from 323CHF down to 258CHF i.e 20% reduction), but unlike last year the reduction applies to all dates not just a few low season specific weeks. You can get the discount here: http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/skipass?___from_store=de
ski holidays
snowball, lovely photos - thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
Now I know all snowfall is good snowfall, but I am wondering if this current snowfall is a good start to the season or is it always like this? I know what is a good start to my usual haunts but as Wengen is new to us we have little to go on.

The webcams are looking good to me Happy
snow report
Normally the 1st real snow comes in march, before then nothing. Bring golf clubs to be safe.
latest report
NE1 wrote:
Now I know all snowfall is good snowfall, but I am wondering if this current snowfall is a good start to the season or is it always like this? I know what is a good start to my usual haunts but as Wengen is new to us we have little to go on.

The webcams are looking good to me Happy

This is good. Lifts will be open this weekend. I wish it was always like this in November!
snow conditions
stab, Laughing

As a first time visitor to Wengen NE1 was asking a serious question, so in response to her query I'd say it looks a good start to me, but I'm sure our snowHeads weather guru D G Orf can give a more definitive statement?

Over to you David....

Edit: I see Telford Mike who is a Wengen regular has already commented favourably on the start to this year's season. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Good start but we've had early snow before and seen it melt, however this year things are looking promising with a good fall of snow today even down at Wengen, cold temps and further snowfalls are forecast which should help ensure it stays for a while at least, once Wengen has more than 30cm on the nursery slopes and there is 90cm or more at Kl Scheidegg it will look good, with that sort of level of snow it will take a lot of warm wet weather to mess up the skiing, so while it certainly looks promising for the locals who get to ski at the weekends I'm not quite ready to say for certain that Christmas and the New Year will be good ask me in say 2 to 3 weeks and I should have a better idea
snow conditions
A while back they gave the cannons a good blast, then it was too warm for a while. When I left it was warmish and all white so it made a nice photo. I haven't been there since Saturday so don't know what else happened. It opens this weekend but I'll give it a miss, don't really care for scratching around on pistes I'll never use in the real winter.
ski holidays
Pic from the corner of the Main Street this evening courtesy of @WengenSwiss

ski holidays
telford_mike, Nice photo!
latest report
Ooo I'm so excited. Wengen is one of my bucket list places.

I'll try to curb my questions but in my excitement I am bound to ask more, just like a kid in a sweet shop that's me Very Happy
snow report
Despite about 10cm of new snow all over Wengen still only has 15cm on the nursery slopes, Kleine Scheidegg and the Mannlichen have about 60cm now which means Wixi, Lauberhorn and maybe the Arven chair lifts will be open this weekend, the forecast is for really quite cold weather so the snow will stay and there may be the odd flurry of snow later tonight, tomorrow and Monday (maybe heavier) with probable heavy snow on Sunday.

Grindelwald / First has not done so well with just 5cm reported in the village and 30cm at First

On the other hand whilst there is only just over 60cm reported on the Schilthorn there is apparently 45cm in Murren itself which to me suggests that the latest snow has been a bit windblown coming in from the North

They will need a good bit more snow at both First and the Schilthorn to open the high runs I think due to underlying rocks, a meter of Snow for First and 1,5m at the Schilthorn for good skiing in my experience.

Because of the cold temps skiing down to Wengen even on just 15cm of snow is possible but it would track out fairly quickly so I suspect the lower slopes will be closed for now.
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:

Because of the cold temps skiing down to Wengen even on just 15cm of snow is possible but it would track out fairly quickly so I suspect the lower slopes will be closed for now.

True.

But everyone will ski back to the village regardless Smile At this time of year they tend to leave big heaps of cannoned snow in the way to discourage this, but for many it just makes the home run all the more entertaining!
ski holidays
Village looking good this lunchtime. From @WengenSwiss.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fortunately its only likely to be the locals and they know that seeing as Innerwengen will be closed that means walking along the woodpath, given that the woodpath is covered in stone chippings which will break through the thin covering of snow really quickly most will save their bases and get back on the train at Wengeneralp
snow conditions
telford_mike, lovely photograph. Not there until February but already getting EXCITED snowHead
latest report
First time poster on this thread - so much great info, thank you!

Off to visit friends in Berne weekend of 6 December and has booked a cheeky overnight stay in Grindelwald (couldn't find a hotel for one night in Wengen). It looks like the lifts are opening this weekend, good to read. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions:

- we will be there for 1.5 days, intermediate skiers, assuming the grindelwald locality ski pass rather than whole jungfrau region will work?
- any recommendations for ski hire shops by the main cable car where you can store equipment overnight?
- trains as ski lifts... Are these included if we get a super duper swiss ski train pass or are these only available through the lift pass?

Thank you!

Ps and loving the vintage ski photos, Snowball. Very Happy
snow report
peezafreeza, ok there are 3 area passes (First, Kleine Scheidegg / Mannlichen) and Schilthorn) plus an Overall region pass, you won't need the last you will need one of the others, You may find many of the lifts not open on the 6th, as of this weekend the only Lifts open are those near Kleine Scheidegg, Arven, Lauberhorn and Wixi chair lifts, plus of course the railway up, I'm not sure if many more (if any) will be open by the 6th, most open about the 20th which is why you won't have found any hotels in Wengen (they're all shut until that weekend) you can get one day and half day passes though I think the half day ones are afternoon only so if you want a mornings skiing get the two day pass.

The trains are included in the ski pass, but trains beyond Grindelwald would probably only get a discount on the super duper train pass

Can't give a recommendation for any particular ski hire place in the Village as I've only ever used the Wengen ones however there are several close to the station, all will be a similar price

As Intermediates the lifts that are currently open will give access to mainly Red runs which should be fine for you
latest report
We were there at New Year and rented skis from Graf Sport. It is about a two minute walk from the train station and has a “Depot” where you can leave your skis overnight for CHF 3 per night. It is also just across the road from the place where the Ski Bus leaves from.
ski holidays
Now possible to ski back to the village (but not encouraged!). No rocks reported.

From@MartinGertch
latest report
Ooooooooo Very Happy
snow conditions
Loads of info about the new 'V Project' from the JB: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/news-events/v-cableway/the-v-cableway-project/

If it ever happens, it'll be awesome Smile
latest report
It will certainly be striking the Godolas up to Eigergletscher will be for 27 people whilst those up the Mannlichen will take 8, would rather they had gone for the original idea with a split halfway up, this would have potentially opened up additional routes for skiing which the new route will not
ski holidays
The original (2012) plan for the GGM replacement also included a lower mid-station at Itramen (near the Jagerstubli & Aspen presumably). This also seems to have gone. It would be nice to be able to ski down to Itramen without having to do the last bit through the caravan site to Grund.

I love the bit that refers to Scheidegg as a 'Belle Epoque' town!
snow conditions
Indeed though I think it refers in fact to the style of the buildings, if you look in model railway catalogs (as I have been known to do) the European ones often have a Belle Epoque section, there is of course a lower middle station on the GGM but I've only ever seen it used in summer and it's a request stop, I don't think the pistes go anywhere near it
ski holidays
snowball, some great pictures, thanks for sharing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy