Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
yep, we're heading out on the 25th.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jeremyd, yep that's what I looked at. Let's hope it has some validity.

Chances are I may bump into one or two of you out there, regardless enjoy yourselves.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another sunny day but spent most of day in La Plagne so I'll post on that thread as well but did two runs at then end of the day on Agile and Ours and i have to say both standing up really well to thwarm weather

Probably another factor 50 day tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
YesterdayTuesday was a real treat. After meeting at the Vanoise Express we headed over to the Bellecote and had a great trip down the Classic route of the Petit North Face. The snow was in very good spring condition with a mix of light snow, chalky firm snow and soft but not yet cruddy spring snow all the way to the bottom. After a pleasant lunch we headed back to Les Arcs and a few short challenging off piste areas before a final well earned drink at Goerge's then home. Very Happy

I will try to catch up on the photos tonight. Toofy Grin

WHAT IT LOOK'S LIKE OUTSIDE: (From ME!)
Today the conditions temperature outside is starting to climb up already. After a frost during the night the sun is shinning and the sky is blue. Time to get up into the mountains for another warm spring day. Twisted Evil

Further details of todays conditions can be read on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anything left of that great little canyon run between Pollux and the luge course, that goes under the Colorado Chair at La Plagne? Love that route.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got back from a 4 day long weekend skiing in Les Arcs and it has been fantastic Arrived at 0:10 on Saturday morning, left 13:30 on Tuesday

The weather was almost perfect. cold and sunny in the morings warmer in the afternoons.

The snow conditions - brilliant. The snow was firm but incredibly grippy in the morning and softened as the day progressed, but though getting heavy towards late afternoon it never got slushy. The pisted areas were prepared every night and allowed lovely turning practice. The bumps, except at the higher parts of the resort, were a bit too hard in the mornings with the odd ice cookies. They were best left to the afternoon. We were able to ski down to Villaroger on very good snow yesterday morning

The only bare patches we saw were on the fond blanc piste. There were some stones on the aiguille rouge run just after the parting of the ways with the red. There was no ice at all, not even on the ecureuils piste, which often gets some ice on its lower sections.

We only saw one lift queue over the 4 days. A hefty 5 minute wait to come out of Villaroger.

The locals were their usual freindly selves.

All in all an excellent weekend.

John
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No such a good day today, very late night last night, didn't wake up until 10AM (again) - must stop going to French bars....

Went up about 12 - missed everyone else, so on my tod, decided to go up top - up the Aiguille Rouge, for which the queue was about 5 minutes! I have to say even half way down the AR, the sides and any 'off-piste' were slushy - even up there, but the pistes are holding up really really well Very Happy

By about 3 it was all just tooo slushy, so resigned to a short day. At the moment, best bet is to get first lift, and call it quits with a late lunch.

Decided to go down to BSM, perhaps take a few pics, on the way back noticed brakes were making 'that sound' (sorry Genepe and the guys I was supposed to be taking to 3V tomorrow) went back to BSM, found a place that will diagnose and sort - have to take car back tomorrow at 2PM and hopefully new pads fitted Friday 3PM - two enforced half days. Just hope I don't knacker the disk on the way down - drove up tonight without using brakes which wasn't that difficult, obviously.

There's half a dozen [new] snow canons 'laying about' down by the Vallandry reservoir, but I guess looking at the level of the reservoir there ain't much point putting them in...

Mega crop of 1600 from BSM - I thought it was interesting though seeing it from BSM.

The Isere is utterly gobsmacking running through BSM, picture doesn't do it justice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just booked to come out on 24th. Snow forecast over the weekend and early next week I see, fingers crossed for more Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
allanm, My lot resigned for th day about 3 too. Hope to catch up soon Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
There was no ice at all, not even on the ecureuils piste, which often gets some ice on its lower sections.
John

Just saw your post, [top of] ecureuils has been closed the last few days, just too keep numpties off (I was told) as it is sheet ice in the morning. Steep sections on Bosses is quite challenging too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
allanm, saw the closed sign this morning but did the lower section at around 1030-1100 and it was still hard and horrible. best run of the day was comborcires around 1330 big slushy forgiving bumps did lower aguile rouge after and was ok skieed back into plan peisey about 1630 slopes far better than i expected. not as hot today

Probably back over to La Plagne tomorrow
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevew, ^^ we did ecureuils from the top (naughty) and apart from being ice couldn't really see why they had closed it, it was icy [sheet ice] but all that needed was an 'icy snow' sign IMHO.

Yes, Combercier is a baby at the moment, however I took a couple of falls on it yesterday, thought I could just ski it - straight line - as the bumps were fairly small, but going so fast I crossed my skis (twice) on 'landing'. It didn't work, back so slip up front, turn on top. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK, one more.... Bashers...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bottom basher looks like an evil alien

Not sure i'd describe it as a baby and i certainly couldn't have straight lined it but fun nonetheless
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went up early again today and headed straight up to the Arpette ridge and then over to the top of the Transarc for a bit of a warm up on the off piste down the middle of the Arc 2000 bowl and then down the centre and then left of the Grand Col chair. Good firm chalky snow and lots of fun. Twisted Evil

By 11am we hiked up to the top of the Grand Col ridge along with maybe 30 others planning to go over the back into the national park. Despite these numbers after the groups had descended the couloir into the park they soon dispersed to give us a quiet run down the back to Villaroger in good spring snow the whole way. We took our time hunting out the best areas and finally arrived at the Ferme restaurant for lunch. Toofy Grin

After lunch we headed back up to the top of the Aiguille Rouge and then down the Petit North Face and into the Robert Blanc couloir for more firm chalky snow all the way down to Arc 2000 in very good condition considering the temp. Very Happy

The weather was turning very warm by then so time for a beer and then home after another good days skiing in the sun.

The pistes all around Les Arcs today were still in great condition if you followed the sun. Firm hard surface which as the day progressed stayed very grippy before becoming softer and still good to ski on. You have to take care when approaching lifts and other busy areas which are becoming slippy in place, but the snow has been holding up well in the warm afternoons and the off piste is turning to good spring snow conditions in most places if you choose your routes carefully.

Tomorrow we are off early to the 'Three Valleys' so I will not be posting the update I am sent from the pisteurs as we are leaving very early. Sorry to here about your car Allan, just as well we made other plans. Smile

My next Les Arcs update will be on Friday morning. Madeye-Smiley but I hope others will post here tomorrow.

Pics of the last few days to follow as I have the time, sorry to busy watching Chelsea win tonight!! Laughing

Allan, Sorry to hear you will not be joining us. Hope you get the car fixed ok. We are planning some more trips next week so call me if you want to join us. Toofy Grin On Friday we are going to the Omelette resturant if you or anyone else wants to join us for the day.
latest report
Extremly warm today at the top it was 5c, and double digit lower down, the snow is holding up well, a bit slushy in the afternoon the Reches gets a bit churned up in the afternoon, but all the bumps are soft, went to do the Bosses this morning and it was closed not sure why as it was open in the afternoon. pPrt of the top of the agile rouge is closed, just after the red cuts across, rocks showing through, but apart from that managed to ski it all the way down to bottom of the Plan Des Violettes chair. Was over in La Plagne yesterday and big queues to go up to the Bellecote glacier so gave it a miss, stuck mainly to Champagny as it felt less busy. Had a few laughs today watching at the water splash! Smile
snow report
No update from me for Les Arcs today as we went to the Three Valleys ski area. See the report I just posted if you are interested in hearing about the current conditions we found whilst visiting some of my favourite off piste areas.Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Just saw your post, [top of] ecureuils has been closed the last few days, just too keep numpties off (I was told) as it is sheet ice in the morning.

IIRC we did it on monday around lunch time so I suppose the snow had softened a bit. And yes Combourciere was very good, but lacked its normal mega bumps. Sad
ski holidays
Easy day today - La Plange - on-piste so nothing to report apart from the... Altiport later on, just such good fun!! bet that guy had a sore head!!
There's a few more here, the first few being of Darin who was the only one of us who had the blx to try. Fair play, I do think boards are more difficult than skis.

Bit of news, SCUK have had to suspend operations here indefinitely, as - anecdotally - have been accused of guiding without required qualifications... so if you rely on SCGB leaders for ski budddies then think again....... I've started a new thread on this here

[/url][/url]
snow report
Arriving in 1600 tomorrow night. I consider myself "early advanced" with a little off-piste under my belt.

I'm not sure 1600 caters well for my level in terms of classes etc..

Any advice re how to get most out of week? I understand visibility will be poor which won't be fun for mogulled naturide runs.

I think visibility will be poor- mogulled black natur runs won't be fun. I wouldn't do off piste without guide
snow conditions
patricksh wrote:

Any advice re how to get most out of week? I understand visibility will be poor which won't be fun for mogulled naturide runs.
I think visibility will be poor- mogulled black natur runs won't be fun. I wouldn't do off piste without guide

Don't think too much and make the most of it.... Don't worry about the weather until you look out of the window.
snow report
stevew wrote:
best run of the day was comborcires around 1330 big slushy forgiving bumps

I love comborciere in those conditions Smile
snow conditions
Got Paradski passes for w/c 25th @ 30% off this morning in the flash sale. 180 euro for a week of Paradski, result, only 7 days to wait now Mad NehNeh
latest report
thefatcontroller, Please explain... How do you get the cheaper ski passes? What 'flash sale'?
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, If you are registered in the Les Arcs website they sometimes do 'Flash sales' of ski tickets during a season, more likely towards the end..Here is what I had this week.

Quote:
A new last minute flash sale on our online shop !

From Saturday 17th to Wednesday 21th March, 2012, enjoy a 30% discount on your purchases of 6 days ski passes Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry, Paradiski Découverte or Paradiski Illimité, with a first day of validity on 25th March, 2012*.

To access to the flash sale, click on the link below or copy it in your Internet browser:
http://lesarcs.paradiski.com ou http://peisey-vallandry.paradiski.com

Attention, limited quantities (100 ski passes for each domain)!
Sales open at 7:00 on Saturday 17th March (French time).

For any question or information, feel free to contact us by phone at +334 79 04 25 03 or by email at contact@ski-lesarcs.com.
(please do not anwser directly to this email sent automaticaly)

Seen you soon on the slopes!
Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry Ski Area
latest report
What time does the lift pass office open in Bourg by the funicular? Wife just pointed out to me that the reduced prices passes are great and yes a good idea leaving them for collection in the Arc 2000 lift pass office but we arrive by train and need them to use the Funicular Duhhhhh....We arrive 7.45am so if the office is open then I will ring and change the collection point, if not we can buy 2 singles for the funicular. Grrrr
snow report
Quote:

I'm not sure 1600 caters well for my level in terms of classes etc..

It will.

A couple years ago over esater my nephew booked into the top group at Arc 1600 ESF. They did most of the classic strightforward off piste runs as well as having really good lessons. If you want a guide the the Bureaux du Guides in Arc 1800 or Arc Adventure will have them. It only takes about 15 - 20 minutes to get over to 1800 from 1600 and I have used both guiding services in the past
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Cheers for the heads up, just got myself a wee paradiski pass for 180 euros. that's a few extra beer tokens in the can.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobalexander1983, No worries. 75 euro saved, thats 3 extra pints wink Laughing
snow conditions
Amazing things internet phones where calls cost nothing....Rang the ticket office in Bourg, they open 7.20am and the lady has changed our passes for collection in Bourg. Can't wait.
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
bobalexander1983, No worries. 75 euro saved, thats 3 extra pints wink Laughing

trying to wean myself off the pints of Jagermeister and redbull actually. Wink
ski holidays
What a cracking day... in the end. The skies cleared as expected leaving good snow higher up until much later, although still pretty slushed up lower down after 3.

Managed to find space to put a couple of fresh tracks down in the 2000 bowl by dropping in from Reynard, about 3/4 of the way down between Transarc and top of Reynard lift - there's still a little space there, but just for a couple of turns. Bosses and Drosset were both closed, no idea why, both fine, and with the sun appearing later both were good fun around midday.

Top of Varet, cross country down to the igloo was a little crusty, and there are some BIG bumps at the top just above the last varet pylon.
Deux Tete traversing right into Malgovert was good fun, as was the tradesman's entrance to Malgovert, not nearly so icy as it has been.
Grand Col was so-so early on, pretty horrible really, but it will have softened up this afternoon.

All in all a great day!
latest report
For the piste people amongst us the morning was great, slightly overcast and cooler, did all the reds above Valandry and Peisey, the snow is really good, then went over to do the Arandeliers bit of ice at the top but in very good condition, then headed over to the grand col, the black was closed did the read a couple of times, just love it!
lunched at 2, after which headed back to Vallandry, the temperatures had rinses and it was slushy and a bit churned up, but not to busy one of the joys of Saturday skiing, the forecast is for cooler temperatures which means the great conditions are set to carry one. Combes is closed lack of snow lower down, though its seemed OK form the chair.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, well done getting in quick with the lift pass. I heard that they only offer very few of these so you really need to be fast. Last week they were all gone by the end of the afternoon.

radar, Good to read a post about the pistes as well. I know I tend to write more about the off piste as that is what I like best so thanks for sharing what you did today.

allanm, I heard that you ended up having a good day despite the early flat light. I am pleased I had a rest, my shoulder was hurting after a busy week so maybe just as well we did not head over to the Bellecote. Plus, the Rugby was good on the TV this afternoon.

I hope to be out tomorrow if the weather is not to bad. Maybe we will even get the fresh snow they have promised. If anyone fancies joining a small group of us for a beer at the Altiport or even a ski tomorrow, send me a PM here or over on my facebook page.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Yes, very pleased. Nice saving. Am I being over optimistic in hoping that they only do flash sales if it looks like being quite(ish)?
ski holidays
snowcrazy, unfortunately back in the UK Sad , the laptop was a bit intermittent or would have posted more, enjoy the Altiport, doing some water skiing Shocked
snow report
Darks clouds appearing on the web cams. Cool
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, In real life too - but 9 degrees here at 1650 at the moment. Althought the temp has dropped 3 degrees in the last hour, so who knows.

The family & friends that have been with us the last week have found that Varet was really quiet at lunch time, & on a couple of days, went straight from there to the Ag Rouge cable car with no queue! They've all gone now Sad
snow conditions
ooo, what a difference a few hours makes - now 2 degrees & snowing Toofy Grin
snow report
Great day with snowcrazy over in La Plagne Very Happy , just small group of four. 'Waterfall run' (river bed) was probably the run of the day'.
Weather held until mid afternoon, visibility got poor and snowing above about 2K - sleeting lower down although should turn to snow pretty soon.

Finished with an off-piste (direct crossing allowed - no downhill) run from back of Derby to bottom of Vagere, thought I'd pretty well done most 'between piste' in LA... you live and learn! All in all great fun.

Edit --- 5PM it's snowing in Vallandry!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy