Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
bertie bassett, thanks for that
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be a silly question but is a Photo required for the lift pass in Les Arcs?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dave_wick, Not a silly question and answer is no.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last couple of days have been great bluesky days.

Tuesday we started the day with some off-piste runs off the side of the Grand Col gradually going further out to find the new untracked snow then headed off the back of the Col de Chal from the top of the Grand Col found some great snow on the north facing slopes although a couple of hikes involved before hitting the path down to Nancroix and the bus back.

Yesterday we headed over to Le Plagne made our way up to the Bellcote after a warm up run we then went over the back via the Petit Nord Face conditions were very mixed but had a great time as we made our way back down to the road and the bus back. A great day and a descent I have looked at but never thought I would do.

Today conditions have closed in and it is snowing lightly but steadily will see what the day brings.

Hi Snowcrazy how is the shoulder?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just packing the car now to drive to les Arcs tomorrow - cant wait for 1st visit - bertie bassett, thanks for the link have printed it off to take with me excellent info
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
migletski, ^^ Me too, boat this time, leave 5:30 in the morning for Dover. Just driving down to Lyon tomorrow, found a pretty reasonable place to stay there with adjacent restaurant. Into resort Saturday morning... early!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good news, they told me today that nothing is broken, but I have displaced my clavicule slightly. They may have to operate to insert a disc to fill the gap that has been created, but are not going to do so at once. If it does not hurt to much I can start to try some 'gentle' skiing from this weekend. If it then holds up ok I will be able to continue to the end of the season, whilst they keep an eye on how I respond to the skiing. All being well it will mend itself, if not then I will have the 'op' later in April or May. Roll on Saturday, the forecast is for better weather and with fewer people around it should be ok to try out the skis again. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowcrazy, good news. Take it easy tho': I want to ski 'gentle stuff' with you at end of March!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy, Good to here you will soon be back on skis sorry we will not get the chance to ski with you on this visit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcrazy, good news might see you around arriving on late Saturday
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi arriving in Peisey tomorrow, looking to try out some new ski's, any one got any recommendations, Plan Peisey seems to be the obvious lace to look, last time I was in Vallandry the guys in Sports 2000 where excellent, but was looking for something closer to the lobster pots.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
radar, There are Intersports at either end of the lobster pots, at the top is far bigger and the one at the bottom is a slightly longer walk, small but very helpfull

Enjoy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
radar, cannot remember the name of the shop, but there is one up the hill from the lobsters. Maybe Allan can tell you the name. Just walk up the road and I think it is on the left somewhere as you go round the corner. If you fancy meeting up let me know, there are quite a few people out next week.

Finally,tomorrow I am going skiing again. I cannot keep looking at the blue sky in the morning, writing my daily update and then going back to have breakfast and then 'nothing!' It is time to see if a weeks rest has done the job.

See some of you on the hill next week I hope!

Todays update: WHAT IT LOOK'S LIKE OUTSIDE: (From ME!)
Blue sky day outside, but it is colder again today. Right now I cannot see any clouds in the sky. You should enjoy it up there.

More details of the day on my Les Arc Winter facebook page.

kevinrhead, pleased to hear you made it down the PNF of Bellecote, well done. Wish I had been able to do some riding with you guys this week. Next time, sounds like you have been having a good time.

Arctic Roll, see you end of the month.

stevew, hope to see you around as well. Send me a PM if you fancy meeting up.

migletski, enjoy the week, if you are interested in meeting for a beer do let me know.

With so many snowheads out this coming week, maybe we should all get together for a few beers one lunch time Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, Hope to see you during the week if your shoulder holds up. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good news snowcrazy! Will be out at the end of March too, staying at the UCPA, perhaps Arctic Roll, you and I could ski some more gentle stuff on the Wednesday that week? - I've only got a half day of tuition that day that I can skip Wink
snow conditions
Managed to get 2 flash sale ski passes this morning after 2 hours of trying!!! See you on the slopes next weekend!!
ski holidays
Uneventfull drive down, great to see snowcrazy again, excellent warmup for first day back, finished watching the fun at the altiport with a couple of beers.

Ski back form Altiport was absolutely F^&%^$g magic, lovely sunset, absolutely deserted, shame I didn't have decent camera with me - but couldn't do it justice.

View of Vallandry from my balcony this evening....

ski holidays
allanm, For all the sunshine of late the snow line still seems quite high? Looks stunning. Only 2 weeks.....
ski holidays
Managed to get back on my skis today. Quite fun to be out again after a week of resting. Good to get to ski with you todayallanm, .

A group of us met up for an easy ski all around Les Arcs domain, mostly on piste including from the top of the Aiguille Rouge down to Villaroger and then right across to Peisey for lunch whilst watching the GS race then by the late afternoon I did have a little play in the easy off piste, well it just had to be done. Finally finishing with a run on the bordercross 'slowly' on the way back to the Altiport for a beer (I did not do the waterslide today, could have been one risk to many) and then down to Arc 1600 the easy way and home. Toofy Grin

The pistes all over Les Arcs were hard and firm with some very slippy patches around during the morning. We had a chance to see how you should turn on the hard snow when watching the race and found some nice soft snow on a firm base in the centre of the Arc 2000 bowl. Very Happy

Overall my shoulder held up well and did not hurt any more at the end of the day than it did at the start (I did not pole plant very much with my left hand) and hopefully it will not be any worse by tomorrow morning when I plan to go up again. Pics are posted in the March 2012 Album
latest report
Arrived last night after a long transfer nice skibeat hamlet loads of sun and snow ready to set off Very Happy
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Look out for N & my brother today Smile It is indeed beautiful out there - wishing I was skiing rolling eyes Maybe I'll go up the lift to the snack bar deckchairs with my book later. Otherwise, its rugby in the Mont Blanc at 16.00hrs
ski holidays
Wow great days skiing today in les arcs for me snow was great did quite a few runs sorry dont know names (must try harder) now in georges wine bar watching rugby
snow conditions
Great day. Not to busy and lots of nice runs did bits of planpeisey, 1800 & 1800 in the morning followed by aiguille rouge and down to villrroger in the afternoon taken out by a French
Woman coming into 2000 broke my pole but has promised to pay(we'll see ) I'm ok but she seemed to have a bruised nose, probably my helmet bashing her Very Happy

good first day Very Happy
snow conditions
I had a funny one today, just got off the Vagere and was accosted by four Guys, early twenties - not the sorts I'd want to tangle with 4:1, wanting to know where I got my rucksack from (dakine 17lr). They said there 'friend' had just had one stolen and started (or tried) to interogate me as to where I got mine. In no uncertain terms I told them there was 1000's of them about and mine wasn't the one they were after all in schoolboy french and english - they were quire aggressive though. I skied to the side to take a phone call (which was a wrong number), they followed closely and stopped a few meters away - there were very raised voices and gesturing - obviously to do with me.
I skied away, they started following me (to the Arpette lift), I lost them, that was that.

thefatcontroller, yes, it was. Snow's fine, holding out well, there's good and bad, but all better than last season.
snow report
allanm, Shocked My brother was in that area yesterday with a similar rucksack. As you say, a lot of them about!

stevew, Taken out by a French lady..... Laughing Laughing . We should arrange a time to wave at each other - see if I can see yo from our balcony Very Happy
ski holidays
Tentative plans to return to Vallandry 7th April for week - give me some encouragement please - more skiable snow than this time last Easter!!!!!!
snow report
Boris, Undoubtedly Very Happy
ski holidays
Just checked Snowforecast, looks like there is some snow due on Saturday which is the day i arrive! Doesn't give an amount yet!

Cant wait, excited etc...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another good day spent time in Arc 2000, did Grand Col a couple of times snow was really good some of the tree runs at Plan Peisey are excellent but did Combe as last run which was a desperate slush fest

genepi, [We'll probably drop into solan most evenings before going back to chalet so might see you there

Nearly bumped into another snowhead on the arcbulle lift he had green bandits with a sh sticker on around 1130 but didn't get close enough to say hello
ski holidays
allanm wrote:
I skied away, they started following me (to the Arpette lift), I lost them, that was that.

If you can't out ski a bunch of tourists around you're 'home patch' that's a bad sign..
snow report
bertie bassett, ^^ LOL! Absolutely right!!

Blonde moment yesterday, put boots on in ski locker, thought 'where's my hat (beanie - soz not a helmet), thought poo-poo in appartment, there are notices everywhere saying don't walk in the building in ski boots, f$%k it, I'm not taking them off to get my hat, so up the lift - couple of glancing looks, but obviously I look so English no one said anything. Got into appartment, hat no where to be found. You can probably guess where it was - see, hats are so comfy you don't even notice when you wearing one!! DOOH!

From balcony.. again... Note kids igloo on RHS. It's great!

snow conditions
Been a very busy past few days so not much time to post stuff here. Sad

The spring snow conditions have arrived off piste now and by being careful I have managed to get back out in the off piste without making my shoulder any worse and I am very happy!!!!! Very Happy

We have played around on some of the steeper slopes in Les Arcs within the ski domain and found some good snow quite near to the pistes at times. We even made two trips down the Col de Chal in spring snow which was a good surprise! Twisted Evil

Despite the hard packed boiler plate conditions first thing in the morning, by using the sun to guide you it is possible to find firm chalky snow and even soft spring snow in many places. Even the soft slush in the late afternoon is quite fun where the hard crust has been melted, but not yet become heavy and you are still able to float on the surface. Toofy Grin

Check out the pics of the last few days to see that the conditions are still quite good and more snow is expected this weekend or into next week. The pics are posted in the March 2012 Album of my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy! Very Happy

The conditions right now just posted on my daily update:

WHAT IT LOOK'S LIKE OUTSIDE: (From ME!)
Blue sky, a little frost on the cars and not a cloud in sight. It should be a great day as long as it does not gt to warm. Off to ski the Bellecote today!

Almost 100% of lifts are open and all pistes. Not bad for the middle of March. With this weather it is a great time to try the waterslide above Arc 1600 before heading home at the end of the day. Hope to see some of you there.

latest report
Cheers for the updates Snowcrazy.

Where about are you based in Les Arcs? Will keep my eye out for you next week.
ski holidays
I'm out in les Coches for a couple of weeks from this weekend. Conditions look great, considering the temps, and if you can believe the forecast snow is due for most days next week.

Just one question really, I do a fair bit of off trail/ungroomed and will be looking for areas that are ok unguided. I won't be going backcountry, and am aware of staying out of the parc national. Any recommendations. John.
snow report
BCjohnny, where did you get the info about new snow? Meteo France say rain next week...
latest report
Off to Les Arcs on the 24th for a week, can't wait!
snow conditions
Whats the most accurate free site for snow forecast?
snow report
Netweather: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;sess=
has the 4 run updates the experts on here use.
snow conditions
Liking Sundays prediction.
snow report
Richard_Sideways, and the rest of the week... ( we go 24th!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy