Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

brian
brian
Mattb, welcome to snowHead s. Predictions for the first week of Feb made now are entirely worthless. Kick back, relax and watch the model outputs. wink

Still looks generally awful from midweek out to this weekend. The trends are generally for cooling next week. Since I'm heading out on the 19th, I have everything crossed that a bit of precip will materialise but, tbh, HP centred over Brittany on this chart looks unlikely to get its sorry back bottom out of the way in time ...

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great to follow this thread (though not so good for work porductivity!). Does anyone have any feelings on how its looking for the southern alps next week, we are off to Puy St Vincent at the weekend. Seems to be looking a bit uncertain at the moment as to whether it will cool down much and as to likely snowfall. It does at least look as though the drive down is going to be sunny!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brian thought you had retired and handed over to nozawaonsen! Great output all round from you chaps in the know. I'm hoping like everyone for a cool down asap, but in particular for Zermatt from Feb 5th. 26 sleeps to go Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian wrote:
scotia, there's a little transient ridge of high pressure that looks like it might just provide a Glencoe classic. wink kitenski is on his way up there tomorrow, I have to work. Sad

I really hope so, tuned into BBC scotland for the local forecast, currently -2.2 up the hill apparently Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's 2007 all over again !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
It's 2007 all over again !

Was this a bad year or something?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Ricklovesthepowder, bad early season, it came good in the end.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tuesday's snow looks good for the French Alps tomorrow. It's not going to be an absolutely enormous snowfall, but it should be quite reasonable, on top of what came last night and with temperatures a little cooler it should bring smiles to some faces (as long as you don't mind skiing in the snow!)

A further belt of snow looks like coming in later on Wednesday or Thursday if you are further east. And the further east you are the stronger it looks like it will be. Again it doesn't look huge, but it will help refresh the slopes at altitude. Lower down below 1650m it looks like it will be more like rain.

Friday still looks like it will feel like Spring. Very warm and with some sunshine. Potentially a rather nice day to reserve a table on a terrace order a bottle of something white on ice and relax...

Interestingly Saturday is not looking quite so warm this evening, but it could all change.

So into next week and it still looks like temperatures will be cooler from mid month and around or just below seasonal average from around the 18th January. Tricky to see whether it will be that snowy. But there are some suggestions it could be.

ECM (European model) incidentally produces are rather more appealing approach to next week than GFS (American model).

And brings some more serious cold in from the east the day brian arrives! wink We'll see...

Mattb absolutely agree with brian it's three whole weeks between now and February. And so much can happen between now and then. This week is going to be very mild at times (towards the weekend). Next week is looking closer to average (possibly colder - colder still if you but ECM). Have a look at the Temperature Outlook for Europe for a sort of zoomed out view.

philipb, broadly what I said above. Too early to call any detail, especially given how much variation there is between the models and indeed between each run, but temperatures look cooler than this week.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
twoodwar, Laughing I'm quite glad to leave it to nozawaonsen, you even get a soundtrack now ... but as I'm off next week self-interest is kicking in. wink

ECM 12z ends up much colder towards the middle of next week but not too much snow around, certainly not for the western end of the alps anyway.

The pattern is ok here:

... but then the High over Iberia splits and partly drifts off NE, instead of what a well behaved High should do, ie. retrogress its butt towards Canada.

Still plenty of time for some twists and turns though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
I really hope so, tuned into BBC scotland for the local forecast, currently -2.2 up the hill apparently Smile

Was watching that too myself, they predicted "significant amounts of snow" overnight for the Highlands and there was a massive blob of white over most of the ski centres shown on the weather map. It seemed to be more centred over the eastern resorts though but fingers crossed it'll hit the west too.

Conditions were superb over the weekend though, there are some great photos over on the Scottish snow thread showing snow and conditions that look rather better than much of the Alps at the moment, certainly lower level (sorry anyone heading to the Alps, not trying to rub it in - I sincerely hope it improves soon Smile ).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hot sunshine is grossly underrated as the weather of choice for a cheeky 4 day January ski-break Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, Nevis radio reckons fresh on the way Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Almost forgot. Snowing heavily in Japan.
latest report
 brian
brian
Interesting GFS ensemble, this one is near Argentiere. General agreement of the cooling trend from next Monday and about 1/3 of the members showing some snow around the 17th-19th. I'll take the control, thanks very much!

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

about 1/3 of the members showing some snow around the 17th-19th

That's where my suspicions of snow has been coming from... All we need to do now is find some alchemist stone which will combine the snowyish potential of GFS with the colder potential of ECM... Or something... wink
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for that guys. Will have to keep my fingers crossed!! Hope conditions ok for those going soon.
snow report
davidof, not really 2007, the Alps have a much better base than back then... also the "bad" was much wider spread IIRC.

Right, I am planning a trip to Aviemore in early February... is this the right place to ask what the snow will be like then? Wink Laughing
snow report
What happened to carled Puzzled

nozawaonsen, are you carled in disguise? Laughing
latest report
MoodyFFS, what date are you up there, i will be in Scotland with my fiancee but she does not ski. My skiing days will be 9th, 10th and 11th. If your up there then we could meet up if you wish?
ski holidays
Quote:

are you carled in disguise?

Absolutely not unless he's completely changed his character. Noz is heaps more patient than carled was (fond as I was of him). wink
latest report
pam w, that was certainly meant to be a joke! Laughing

I did enjoy his tone though, and TBF nozawaonsen hasn't been asked the same question repeatedly just yet! Wink

Ricklovesthepowder, I'm there the weekend before!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking better, but I am still alittle concerned as to the rain and temps in Austria this week, followed by not a lot of snow when it cools down in time for my trip on the 22nd - still it will be fun anyway!
snow report
*stupid question alert*

First time i've really done snow watching in Scotland... given the Wigglies are approx 1600-1800m above sea level how do I work out the likely effects down at 635-1000m?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MoodyFFS, Glad my ignorance in forecasting matters provides amusement! Enjoy your trip! Blush
snow report
Mattb, certainly wasn't aiming anything in your direction! Very Happy Welcome to snowHead by the way!
ski holidays
MoodyFFS, Cheers. Becoming rather addictive!! Smile
snow report
Hello all, it's been a long while since since iv been here, unfortunately the recession strangled me almost to no return !!! Haven been able to get to the alps but just had a trip to plagne paid for so I'm off on the 22nd. It looks quite grim at the moment, very on a knife edge shall we say Puzzled can any one send me one of those squigly graphs for la plagne and any views on the forecast will be appreciated. Good to see all the familia snow heads still here.
snow report
MoodyFFS wrote:
What happened to carled Puzzled

nozawaonsen, are you carled in disguise? Laughing

Maybe it's skanky who has returned? Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, good point!
snow report
rob@rar, pam w, he/she must be before my time.... Laughing
snow conditions
MoodyFFS, skanky was a great weatherman - always worth reading. We miss him.
ski holidays
I have been following this thread carefully over the past week. Have a weeks trip planned to the Three Valleys starting the 22nd Jan. A yes no question. If any of you weather minded people could choose would you take that week in France or Whistler. We have a chance to ditch the French holiday and take an option in Whistler. Looking at the pacific charts and snow forecasts British Columbia is getting it this season. Answers on a postcard please? Puzzled
snow conditions
Here come's Tuesday's snow for the western Alps... wink

Not epic, but should be good. Should be arriving around 11am and staying till mid evening...

Slightly further out in the eastern Alps, particularly Austria, snow and rain on Thursday (kicking off Wednesday evening and running to Friday morning). Could be quite a bit, but as this is falling later in the week it is also competing with rising temperatures so it will be mild, snow level 1850m+.

snorkyvandyke, yes, no? Assuming it is zero cost. Whistler.

Obviously it is not zero cost though (extra travel, jet lag, maybe actual cost...) so you'll need to weigh it all up. Whistler has been having a good season and this looks set to continue in the short term at least. The Alps have been having an ok season up until a week ago, with the arrival of rain except at altitude and milder weather, rather caught in the doldrums at the moment looking at next week.... Really would be wary of trying to make a firm prediction on what the conditions will be like by the time you travel, the models are not returning consistent patterns at present. But on balance picking right now zero cost I'd head West (actually I'd head to Japan, but that wasn't one of your options...)

GFS is continuing to push a cooler though not especially exciting outlook [beyond this weekend!] cooling back to seasonal averages around 19 January and then sticking there (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). A number of the runs though offer cooler options after the 19th. ECM is putting a up a more punchy and colder outlook.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 11-01-11 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
harrymac, the change in temperature is generally in the region of 1°C per 100m altitude for dry air and 0.5°C per 100m for wet air. However, this is a big generalisation as there are lots of factors which can mess with this.

Basically, I would take the 1600m-ish 850pa temperature forecast and look at 600m temperatures (Scottish base-station level) being 5-10°C warmer.
snow report
snorkyvandyke, I would add that conditions in the Alps by 22 January could well be smashing, but other than saying that at present they look like being cooler than they are now there is not much of a clear indication.

Even with the mixed weather over the last few days there will have been heaps of fun to be had. There are some great pictures on the Chamonix thread for example. A friend there just called this morning to say he was having an amazing time!

Altitude will be your friend and you certainly have plenty of higher options in the Three Valleys.

Not the black and white answer... But I offered you one of those a couple of posts above. wink
ski holidays
And there you go 06z has just come up with a very cold and rather snowy pattern from 20 Jan... Now we'll have to see if it can build some support.

Off topic: Sounds like possibly bad avalanche in Val d'Isere...
latest report
 brian
brian
Winter back for the UK big time on that run as well!
ski holidays
bring it on Cool

4 dead in the valdisere avi Crying or Very sad
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:

4 fatalities reported by AFP.

Sad
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
And there you go 06z has just come up with a very cold and rather snowy pattern from 20 Jan... Now we'll have to see if it can build some support.

Where's the checkout....I'll buy that option please snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy