Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Hurrah hurrah. snowHead Got snow of our own tho! Been lovely [apart from the driving]. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
15cm this morning on the drive way, been drissling with rain all day but cleared up now. should have been nice up there this morning, unfortunately i had to much to do with only one day off at the mo!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the updates snowangel, we're currently in the etap hotel in Grenoble this evening and driving up to Chantmerle tomorrow morning for our 7yr old and I to ski in SC all day while Mum and our little one (3) go swimming, then we're off to PSV for 4-5pm to checkin to our appt.... fingers x'd on the snow and the lack of rain. Freezing temp looks (~2000m) high all over the place right now !

Si
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well might see you in chantemerle when you buy your ski pass, i'm in the main inside ticket office and i have black hair with pink bits in it (i'm also the only english person there you should spot my accent!) come and say hello!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oooh i hope it continues well into January when we'll be there, In Italy at the moment and it's raining Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If it's any consolation to you Yobaby, it's been raining all day in Serre Che (same as yesterday). And the mist is bad too. It looks like lots of resorts getting poor conditions right now.

The forecast for the next few days is not great but it should be a good deal better than today.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We finally made it to Puy at 1pm today after having to don the gains to get around the Col du Lauteret (as did lots of others). We didn't stop in SC as the key to the roof box had snapped inside the lock (with the skis locked inside!), (that'll teach me for bribing the Halfords box rather than the Thule one sat at home!!).

Anyway made it, and box opened by helpful chap from intersport with some pliers. Its been snowing at PSV since 2pm (quite wet snow rather than the nice fluffy stuff but still snow). It was raining all the way up from Grenoble to the col du lauteret, with temps in Lyon at 16 and 14 in Grenoble ! Snowing all the way down from the col to SerreChe, then rain below 1400m, then turned to snow as we got up above 1400 on the way to Puy.

Locals are saying the temps are going to drop massively over the next few days with some sun for Sun/Mon.

Si
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad you made it over the Col. Lets hope the weather does improve and we can get a few nice days in.

Generally a disappointing miserable feel to the place in the days before Christmas. It's ironic to sit here in the rain and relatively high temps hearing of Dublin airport closed yesterday after 20 centimetres of snow and record overnight lows of -10C.

Happy Christmas to all Snowheads, especially the Serre Che contingent.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kevin Byrne, Happy Christmas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a good one guys n'gals - nought more depressing that rain in the resort, but try and be optimistic and think that it's snow further up!

fishslice, how long was the journey from Bourg then, must have been a mare!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kevin Byrne, Any improvement in the weather Kevin? We hope to be in Chantlemerle by wednesday...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The sun returned to Serre Che today and it would melt your little heart. I take back all the bad thoughts I had a few days ago. But the -12 Celcius temperature accompanied betimes by a stiff breeze would freeze other parts!

Thankfully it looks like the weather is going to behave itself for the next few days. According to Snowforecast it will be good all week and Meteo France is showing a decent forecast for the next 3 days. Temperatures are set to rise as well.

So if you get here by Wed (the day we leave unfortunately) it looks like you'll have some good weather to begin at least.

There is enough snow, except maybe in a few places low down, and it is in good nick on the pistes. Off piste is now cut up but the "brut de neige" areas are doable and not not yet cruddy. Most lifts are working though as of today there were still a few runs that weren't accessible.

Enjoy...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mery christmas everyone, been working to hard the last few days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel., and you too. Just saw the updated pix on the Facebook site and it is looking good for New Year. ThanksKevin Byrne, for the updates.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A wee update...
Lovely day and lovely conditions up at Monetier les Bains today. The temperature was -16 at the bottom at 10am so face, fingers and toes were all feeling it. Later, and in the sun, it was a super day.

Everthing was open with the exception of a few runs including, unfortunately, Tabuc. Probably would have been OK but we didn't go there to find out.

The new Vallons (Cucumelle) lift has opened up a whole new off piste area and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more run being developed on that side in the future. As of now there is only one piste from the top of the Vallons lift to the bottom which of course is the Cucumelle. I'm sure the addition of a blue run, if that's feasible, will make the lift even more attractive. And of course will compensate for the runs lost by the de-commissioning of the Balme lift.

In the meantime, have fun boys and girls...
snow conditions
Kevin Byrne, i think you'll find the off piste by the new lift has always been there, just much quieter..........
snow conditions
Kevin Byrne, is the Isolee run open by any chance? One that the DH has been aiming for for years and not quite managing it yet. ..
snow conditions
MarjMJ, it usually needs a bit more snow for Isolée to be open. You can check on the interactive piste map on serre-chevalier.com or on the Snow forecast page http://www.serre-chevalier.com/Snow-forecast , Just open the Villeneuve Fréjus sector to see what is open today.
ski holidays
MarjMJ, The Isolee was not open today and I doubt that it has been yet. The problem is often the lack of snow on the ridge - which can be the case even after a good snowfall if the wind has scoured it. Today, to be honest we didn't pay a lot of attention. Got it and the other one to the right - Ailfroide - done last season. Good fun. Isolee is nice and long.

And Rogg, of course that off piste area was always available just not used as much, as you note.

Today, our last, was notable for the surge in numbers on the slopes. Another good day weatherwise and considerably warmer than yesterday.

We'll be back in a few weeks by which time, hopefully, there will have been another big dump....
snow report
Hi folks, first time back on the forum since last year, got a chance of a decent deal to Serre Che in a couple of weeks, so I was wondering if anyone is out there just now and what the snow was like?

Cheers

S Very Happy
latest report
snow forecast says it raining below with warm temps on the whole, we're there in 2 weeks ourselves so it had better start dumping soon..
here, take a look:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Serre-Chevalier/6day/mid
latest report
i see no rain on them forcasts? looking to maybe go there in about 3 weeks time tho.
ski holidays
Looks good to me too. I'm ignoring the 1200M of course. From mid station up it seems like there will be a right dump of snow for anyone out there second week. I know it can all change but still.....

I have never been to a resort where it has rained a lot as is forecast lower down in Serre Che. Maybe a stupid question but does the snow get washed away? Really this is a serious question, I have never seen rain in resort during a ski holiday. I am lucky and inexperienced I suppose.
latest report
I have never been to a resort where it has rained a lot as is forecast lower down in Serre Che. Maybe a stupid question but does the snow get washed away? Really this is a serious question, I have never seen rain in resort during a ski holiday. I am lucky and inexperienced I suppose.

Last year druing christmas week we had torrential rain at all levels in Le Corbier mid week. It made the snow heavy during the mild weather then needless to say icy once it froze. It didnt stop us skiing though!
ski holidays
Spent a season there either 2005 or 2006 ? It didn't rain at resort level once until April as far as I can remember so it will be strange to see it in Jan. Not a major problem for the pistes as it pisted well every night, and if the forecasts are correct should be great in a couple of weeks up top.
snow report
Rained like crazy there mid March onwards last year in the resort and up to around 1500ms - then above it's snow - so think positive - it is quite depressing to see all the snow go, but it does take a hell of a lot of rain for that to happen and freezing levels can change......think I'd rather have rain lower down and snow up top rather than hard icy piste all the time

We're out in LE GRAND AIGLE Jan 15th nicking a quick week...........

That said just had a look at the forecast for that week and torrential rain is mentioned with freezing levels at 1719ms - but hey ho I spend my whole time looking at forecasts (see link below) and anything more than two to three days ahead is generally inaccurate to say the least
snow report
Snowing this morning! Got awhole 2cm on the roof! Fingers crossed the rain don't come. Happy new year everyone snowHead
snow conditions
Doesn't snow-forecast.com drive you mad? Yesterday 56cm of snow over six days. Now down to 19cm. On the positive side the deluvian prophecy has eased a bit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sorry - this isn't a snow report....
just seemed like the most appropriate thread for me to go...
WOO HOO snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing
just booked for Serre Chevalier on 6th Feb!!!!

sooo excited!!!!
ski holidays
mountain mad, See you then!

Got woke up by torrential rain lady night should be some pow up there today. I have the weekend off and intend to go skiing (yes you read right) en familly on sunday should be good for a laugh If nothing else!
snow conditions
Hope that pow is nice and fluffy!!!

Now my hol is booked I go through the old ritual of praying, crossing fingers, doing a snow dance to ensure great conditions for my week on snow! And go dust my board down out of storage and maybe leave it propped up in my bedroom to gaze at wistfully!

BF has been before and even tho he would have prefered a new resort, the size of the discount on the holiday helped and the fact that some of the best powder he's had was in Serre Chevalier!

Right off to check out exactly where we're staying and look at the piste maps!
ski holidays
mountain mad, which town will you be in? Sounds as though it'll be your first time there.
snow conditions
In Villeneuve - Neilson Chalet Henriette - supposed to be near the slopes somewhere... couldn't find anymore detail than that!
Lifts and pistes checked out, snowpark has a beginner bit for me to be silly in and hopefully there'll be lots of powder for me to go off piste!
Now just need to cope with the 4 weeks before I get there... and also vague panic that I am not fit enough but its too late to do much about it!
ski holidays
snowangel., mountain mad, A few of us are out for a week starting the 5th of Feb!!! Counting down the days!!

just a quick question RE SC..... Is it best to buy lift passes online or is it easy just to buy them when we arrive?

Also hire gear? Anyone have any reccommendations for hiring some snowboard boots and getting our boards serviced when we arrive?

Thanks

Ryan Very Happy
latest report
ryanfitz1981, You can just as easily buy passes at resort and I think prices are the same as web - snow angel might confirm! There are loads of places for ski and board hire... I like the new guys in Ski Experience... its a new shop but they are good at what they do .. ask for Edouard.. Im sure others will have reocmmendations. As for weather.. left yesterday and it was peeing rain all the way to the top! Unbelievably mild and destroyed the powder from the day before.. however I think more snow due above midstation with rain below at village..
latest report
Hello all, how's the weather/snow in Serre Chevalier at the moment? My partner and I drive down on Friday/Saturday (14/15th) for a week - based in Chantemerle. Is it still raining or has any of it converted to snow?

Bloomin typical. Last year we went to Serre Chevalier in March and it was a bit slushy with no snowfall while we were there. We decide to go in January, as our guide (Yann Ferran from the ESF - who was excellent by the way) recommended the snow conditions during Jan, and it looks like we're going to hit an icy/snowless patch one again. Ah well. Sad

I guess we'll be in the Station Bar a fair bit then... wink

Ben
snow report
BenW, welcome to snowHeads - hope the conditions are OK for your hols. Sure they'll be ok from mid-station up. Still better than being at the office Very Happy
snow conditions
Looks snowy on the webcams which is a relief after what looked like more rain this morning. It never even crossed my mind it would be this warm in Jan.
ski holidays
Just got back yesterday after spending a week in Villeneuve.

Unfortunately there was quite a bit of rain on Friday in the village with a dramatic rise in temperature compared to when we first arrived on New Years day.

The area is superb and I'm sure the mild temps wont last.

Skipass price is the same online as it is in resort but you have to leave at least 7days for them to send the pass to you.

We used Skimium which is the ski connections hire shop in resort. You can book online and if you register for a Decathlon card you get an extra 5% discount!

We went by bus from Grenoble Le Gare which worked well.
ski holidays
Yes weather is looking pants for later this week and on into the next week - I'm writing this is the vain hope that I'll be proved wrong and you can all call me a ------------------------------------------------ fill in with what you like - and I won't mind!

Only positive is that at long last we're in for some decent windsurfing conditions mid week - Wedneday http://www.seaspritesports.com/weather72.php#map looking bonkers - so no signs of the freezing January we were promised by the Met Office - mild wet n' windy - has to be said it is very rare for weather forecasts more than two or three days in advance to turn out as forecast, especially when predicting the track of Atlantic lows. On the above chart you can see the various fronts tracking across the Alps.

This will be the first time in yonks that I've flown with kit under these new draconoian luggage allowances etc so won't be able to pack soft / hard shell jackets / trousers etc etc - oh well and then there's the Mrs - it's going to be hilarious seeing her try to get everything, including boots in under the 20kg mark - might even have to video it for YouTube Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy