Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sleeping in the car Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:
Bless. Laughing

That was back when she could still reach to clip me round the ear!

adithorp wrote:
But they can't ski Puzzled

Hasn't phased them yet
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
@crazy_dad, I'm not sure this is as daft as others think, the Tesla can definitely cope, and if you did it over the Easter holidays the temps and amount of daylight would be (theoretically) better.

https://insideevs.com/news/342319/eight-hours-overnight-in-a-tesla-model-3-in-freezing-temps-video/

You'd be better off at the bottom of the valley I'd suspect, somewhere like this would give you facilities for warming/drying etc

https://europe.huttopia.com/en/winter-caravanning/

You are 100% wrong about this. It is absolutely as daft as everyone thinks and that has nothing to do with whether the Tesla can stay warm.

The assembled wisdom of these boards (and there is a lot of experience and wisdom on the topic here) is that when you take small children skiing you should make sure that everything around the skiing is as fun as possible and be relaxed about the amount of skiing that gets done. If you put them off on the first trip it is a long way back. ANyone with half an oz of common sense would realise that presenting the kids with a situation where they have nowhere comfortable to relax and play games/watch videos is totally incompatible with that before you get to the point of crapping in a bucket and trying to sweet the talk the local boulanger to let you empty said bucket in the morning.
I'm also pretty certain you'd get moved on by the police pretty quick which is probably not a fun experience for young children either.

I'm all for adventures and took my kids wild camping for a night or two when they were quite small. But it was somewhere beautiful in good weather and we didn't have to slop out in a cafe.

The idea is completely ridiculous and I'd say even irresponsible.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, hence why I said go to a campsite with facilities....Tesla has plenty of space and tech to play games/watch videos etc etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
@jedster, hence why I said go to a campsite with facilities....Tesla has plenty of space and tech to play games/watch videos etc etc.

Yes but you can't even stand up in it. And the weather could be nasty at times. There is a reason why people have camper vans.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And I doubt a campsite would let you pitch just a car.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Has to be a wind up, can afford a Tesla but can’t afford £100 for a room.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster, I've also taken my 2 wild camping at the ages the OP is talking about. Although we didn't sleep in the car we were in a small 2 man pop up which didn't take up a large amount of room, the amount of stuff you need to bring is quite substantial. I have a large SUV and it was stacked to the rafters. (I'm in the Middle East - so I mean gigantic by European standards). I just cannot fathom adding ski kit to that or ever doing it in a model 3.

I have slept in my car whilst camping many times and I would never contemplate sleeping in it with both my kids. 1 of them maybe. My son likes to rotate in bed like a clock so he will never get to try....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wild camping is an entirely different thing to sleeping in a car in carpark in the middle of winter in VT. Toileting aside, can use bucket and loo bags which dispose of into a normal waste bin, there's showering, drying wet gear, eating and entertaining the kids. Younger ones will get bored of long hours in the car. Add in day of weather where it isn't possible to get them out into the snow, and it really wouldn't be worth it for 3 nights.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@crazy_dad, it's great that you generally want to give your kids adventures and experiences. But like others I think this might be going a bit too far. At their ages they probably won't even appreciate, and may not even remember, that they have been to a top ski resort.

If you are still set on it I recommend trying out a similar long weekend somewhere near London first. Camping in the car, perhaps in an underground car park that permits overnight stays, in say November so you get similar damp and battery conditions. Doing something adventurous outdoors during the day.. But close enough to home, or a 24-hour service station, that you can abandon the plan if the kids get miserable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did a week in Engelberg in my Transit Custom in April 2023, with an awning on the side. I thought given it was late April it would be fine. I was wrong!

It happened to be a relatively cold week and snowed down to village level. I came back to this one evening.

20230420-153625

Being in the van was fine, I slept in there ok, albeit with no heater to keep me warm, but I just wore more clothes in bed.

The issue was all the rest of the time. Eating and cooking in the awning was cold, I was also doing some remote work which was also cold. Going to have a shower made you cold. Going to wash up the items from dinner made you cold.

Having to get dressed inside a van not being able to stand up was a pain.

All these things means I wouldn't do a ski trip in a van again unless it was a proper motorhome. The thought of a week with 2 kids in a Tesla would be awful Laughing

That said, I might sleep in the van for 1 night in the car park in Täsch the night before the speedtest next April, but for 1 night it'll be fine Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of course it could be done. People live with kids for months, years, in this sort of situation - but without an expensive car. I contribute to UNICEF to help them. I've slept in a car, not infrequently. I even fixed up small curtains for our Multipla (Velcro), and made a mattress which just fitted the back (with the back seats out). We had an experimental night outside my son's once, as it seemed a better alternative to their leaky Lilo. It was fine until OH needed to pee. It was pouring with rain, which wasn't ideal, but the worst thing was that the vehicle was new to us and fumbling round in the dark I couldn't work out how to switch off the courtesy lights. So his efforts were illuminated........ We spent several nights in it in French motorway aires. In summer!

But I've never camped in a car with small kids. We had an old Toyota Hi-Ace camper when we lived in Scotland and even camping in that, with kids, was a challenge. Transitioning between everybody being out, with wellies and wet clothes, and being in, with everybody in their allotted sleeping places (there were 5 "berths" but of course they took up the entire vehicle except the two front seats, where everything else had to be piled). It was an operation needing a LOT of organisation. One Friday night, after we'd headed north when I got home from work (stopping in Marks and Spencers in Kilmarnock to pick up some nice food), listening to the rain my son, then about 11, asked plaintively "Mum, we live in a house with five bedrooms and two bathrooms. Not far away. Why are we sleeping in a rusty van? Naturally I told him it was an adventure. That was my answer to most complaints. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Origen,

I've done something similar in a 22ft sailing boat which we had on a mooring on Ullswater.
My dad originally tried sleeping four of us aboard. We didn't have a loo so rowing the dingy to the shore shower block in the rain in the middle of the night was something to try to avoid. Easier for me than my sister!
It was very cramped and steamy when the Lakeland rain set in.
Very quickly my parents opted to move to a B&B and leave me and my sister with more space (we were probably 13 and 11) and we seldom did it for more than a long weekend. In summer. It was of course utterly goregous to wake up on a still, sunny morning and drink tea in the cockpit surrounded by beautiful Lakeland hills. I'd say quite a lot more attractive than a VT underground car park but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

The op's idea is bonkers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We didn't have a loo so rowing the dingy to the shore shower block in the rain in the middle of the night was something to try to avoid.

You must have been mad! Bucket and chuck it. I have lived on a 19' Seawych, including with four of us when daughter and friend were about 11, but that was in the South of France in the summer, so no problem keeping warm. And nights were spent in a marina, so we could walk (not row!) to the ablutions block.

Quote:

It was of course utterly goregous to wake up on a still, sunny morning and drink tea in the cockpit surrounded by beautiful Lakeland hills.

snowHead Oh yes. That's still my favourite moment, shipping as crew on a very comfortable 34' cruiser, where I have my own cabin and en-suite loo. I'm invariably first up, and make tea and sit in the cockpit. Most recently in the beautiful Newtown River on the Isle of Wight. Best moments of the day. Last time I did it, last week, I was watching a seal basking on the rocks, and listening to the seabirds.

I did take my family on a few low cost chartered boating holidays - the best on the Caledonian Canal, including lochs Ness, Lochy and Oich in a 23' Leisure. So I have no objection at all to various forms of camping and roughing it! My niece cycle-camped down the west coast of North America from Vancouver to LA. Her dad used to take her wild camping too. Though nowadays I like comfort and standing headroom is absolutely vital.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Most recently in the beautiful Newtown River on the Isle of Wight.

That is such a beautiful spot and seems so wild considering how close to major ports and one of the world's yachting centres you are.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I say go for it! Marriage Darwinism at its finest. I reckon the divorce papers will be signed and processed, and access to the kids denied, before the first snowflake has landed in resort.
ski holidays
Just driving there alone with 2 kids that age is going to be a challenge.
ski holidays
Don't worry about your of teaching skills - there's not a lot to learn as a 3 year old in the first couple of days, just put them on a safe, flatish patch of snow - just let them play around and have some fun. they'll figure out how to stand up, shuffle along etc.
Your problem is only one person supervising - its just not doable - must be 1:1 ratio. Its impossible - you'll need 2 adults. As someone else said already, and I can confirm - they'll be knackered and uncooperative after 2 or 3 hours, so you'll have plenty of time to drive down to a cheap B&B in Moutiers Please tell us how it works out.
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
And nights were spent in a marina, so we could walk (not row!) to the ablutions block.

just crap off the side of the boat
ski holidays
Even in the south of France, never mind ullswater I do not want to see turds floating by when I’m in the sea.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Origen wrote:
And nights were spent in a marina, so we could walk (not row!) to the ablutions block.

just crap off the side of the boat

On Ullswater you are not allowed to discharge into the lake. Sea loos are not allowed. Chemical toilets obligatory if you want a heads onboard.
Obviously you can take a leak over the side but dumping crap would be unacceptable.
snow conditions
@davidof, I've got a great picture of a mate on an offshore race droop hiking off the pushpit with a loo roll around the guard rail.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy