Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday 2024

Poster: A snowHead
halfhand wrote:
@ster, Segment on a deaf ski instructor.

The same one (there can't be too many) that BBC sport had the clip up for a few days ago? Amazing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ukoldschool wrote:

Statistically, I believe is 66% ski, 33% snowboards, whereas ski Sunday (name should be changed, but that's another story) is 90% ski, 10% snowboard. This isn't acceptable IMO and it means I don't bother watching.

1 in 3 in resorts are snowboarders? What a ridiculous claim. In Val d'Isere it's 1 in 20, if that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dr John, its referencing a very specific statistic... so a bit more plausible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways, that chart shows 90% skiing on piste, and 33% snowboarding on piste. Maths isn't my strong point, but I humbly suggest it's a rubbish survey. I'm looking out of the window now in La Daille, and my 1 in 20 claim holds firm. BTW I'm not anti-snowboarding in any way, just making an observation based on 30 years of holiday and 10 seasons of skiing (in many resorts across Europe)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Not really much else - Ed repairing a board with ptex badly

Do we need to talk about Eds somewhat laissez faire approach to base repair? Technique and missed steps aside, my thought was nobody has asked for anything on the socials, Ed managed to pickup a gouge on his ride so just filmed it to plug a 30 second hole in the show running order... or they'd spent this weeks budget on chips and beer and needed a free segment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dr John, I would assume some do both - my son would have been one such example.

But yeah 33% is not representative IMO/IME.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dr John, The question would have been along the lines of "Which of the following do you do on your winter holiday, tick all that apply" - hence 90% ski, 59% ski off piste, 33% snowboard, 26% snowboard off-piste etc. So (with some hefty caveats applied) the differential suggests that 10% of people only snowboard which is probably a number I'd be more comfortable with, being in that 10%
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, absolutely. Problem with surveys is they rely very heavily on what questions are asked, in what context, and how the output is presented. It may well be that a few people said they do both, in that they can do both (like me), but choose to ski rather than snowboard. I would have said yes to the first 5 in that chart, but in reality I do 50/50 on/off piste skiing, and tour on approximately 1 in 3 of my off piste days, and haven't boarded for many years. How you show that on a chart lord only knows. Lies, damn lies, and statistics, as someone once said.

@Richard_Sideways, think we came to a similar conclusion independently. As I said, nothing against you single plakers, some of my best friends etc etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any converts to bowls fans yet?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are they serious? Loads of coverage of the tea-tray merchants but only a cursory mention of 3 British men in the top 20 in a World Cup race!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gordyjh wrote:
Are they serious? Loads of coverage of the tea-tray merchants but only a cursory mention of 3 British men in the top 20 in a World Cup race!

You have to remember that the Kitzbuhel slalom only took place this morning and the vast majority of the programme will I suspect have been put together before that, so they only get the chance to add mention of today's slalom in the last minute ski news segment.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 21-01-24 19:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair Pink, but still disappointing that they didn’t make anything of what must be the best British Team result ever in World Cup! All the build up to Mia Brookes & she basically DNFed while we had 3 guys top 20 in Slalom.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gordyjh, Ahead of both les Frogs and the I-Ties . . .closest Yank was 31st - amazing result!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gordyjh wrote:
@Alastair Pink, but still disappointing that they didn’t make anything of what must be the best British Team result ever in World Cup! All the build up to Mia Brookes & she basically DNFed while we had 3 guys top 20 in Slalom.

+1 on this comment.

Though I nothing about Telemark skiing I think this achievement could have done with a bit more coverage

https://gbsnowsport.com/taylor-bags-third-gold-of-season/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kiteman69 wrote:
Though I nothing about Telemark skiing I think this achievement could have done with a bit more coverage

https://gbsnowsport.com/taylor-bags-third-gold-of-season/

Actually that gbsnowsport link is out of date, Jaz won the fourth Telemark World Cup race the following day, so 4 out of 4! Very Happy (which to be fair Ed Leigh did say in their short news item on it).
snow report
I happily stand corrected.

as the mention was so brief last night we only picked up the keywords "telemark" and "gold" so I just googled that.

( I was also cuddling up to a rather cheeky french red .................... sadly of the wine variety) Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@kiteman69, +1
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, they also don't have rights to show the race. The rights are really complicated as there are multiple bodies to deal with. It's all dead boring and expensive, I'm told.
snow report
They managed to show DR winning it a couple of years ago IIRC…
snow conditions
are we allowed to say we watched it and enjoyed it, or is that not allowed on this thread?
ski holidays
@t44tomo, you are, but you will be explained to at length why you're wrong to do so...
ski holidays
Gordyjh wrote:

This is simply a reflection that Ski Sunday is a magazine show, not a sports analysis show. They’d planned in advance that their magazine features this week would be the DH (because the Streif and Hahnenkamm are the historic bread and butter of SS, they’ve focused on these races since at least the 80s) and the Laax open (because of the presence of a British favourite, variety vs men skiing past poles, etc.). I suspect the producers considered a feature on men’s slalom but decided the proximity of the race to the show, and that in advance there was nothing different between this slalom and another meant it wasn’t chosen/possible)

In the 2 mins they dedicate to Snowsports News with the magazine format the Kitz slalom was the lead story.

I’d imagine they’re currently debating whether to do a magazine feature on the brits in the slalom in a future episode which will give little notice to the fact that it was won by Linus Strasser, disappointing people who expect Ski Sunday to be Match of the Day for skiing, which it isn’t.
snow report
If anyone wants to keep up with the Slalom boys Laurie Taylor does "Behind the Brits" on youtube - not slick production like SS but good fun and interesting.
snow conditions
I can't remember if it was in this weeks SS, but was interesting that Ed does the cooking for the crew. I think it says a lot about the budget for the show. I'm sure we'd all be surprised at what really goes on behind the scenes.
latest report
@ratkinsonuk, if you listen to this weeks The Apres podcast (Tim Warwood, Ollie Peart, and Jenny Jones) you'll hear Ed cooking dhal in the background AND get his recipe. Also an anecdote about how Jenny inadvertently spent an entire weeks SS budget on a round of coffees and chips for the crew on the mountain, which should give you an idea how much money they have to play with.
snow conditions
Cheers Rich. I've recently started listening to Iain's podcast, but I'm pretty new to the format so haven't come across 'The Apres' yet. I shall go hunt Little Angel
ski holidays
@ratkinsonuk, it's quite snowboarder-y so don't take it too seriously... they don't.
latest report
@Layne,
Quote:

If anyone wants to keep up with the Slalom boys Laurie Taylor does "Behind the Brits" on youtube - not slick production like SS but good fun and interesting.

i subscribe to his you tube channel as well

its quite interesting to see them preparing for their races, with all the training and equipment prep involved.
must admit i have not bothered entering any of his giveaway competitions, as it is usually old training kit and i would just about get one leg in to one of his ski suits!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As much as I respect and admire the skills of pro snowboarders, very few viewers know the difference between a triple cork badger or a quarter spilt half grind. Skiing is about the fastest down the hill. No judging, just the clock.
ski holidays
Quote:

Skiing is about the fastest down the hill. No judging, just the clock.

Mmm, its ALL about that final time - must be why they're trying so hard to give you all those additional metrics like jump distance, top speeds, the funky new chase drones, live splits, increased number of sector splits trying to keep people engaged with watching Flurgen beat Jurgen by maybe a gnats or a country mile...

At least you didn't call it 'Racing'.
latest report
To be fair the drone footage was pretty cool
snow report
@Layne, it is actually - I think they've learned quite a lot from how the Natural Selection tour was televised on that.
snow conditions
@Dr John, do you need to know the difference to be impressed or find it worth viewing?

Even in the racing (sorry @Richard_Sideways) I'm often more impressed by the run than the time, especially with downhill. E.g at Kitzbuhel last year I can't remember who won but I can remember Kilde having several big moments and then a really, really big moment.
snow conditions
Cortina and Chemmy's camera run - very good
Schladming - good
Zak Carrick Smith - nice to see
Avalanche rescue - oh dear
Your questions - oh dear 2
snow conditions
Layne wrote:

I’m not keen on the noise of the drone, TBH. I find it quite disconcerting when it suddenly accelerates
snow conditions
I was in Cortina last week and spotted Chemmy and Ed plus film crew. We were all stuck at the Cinque Torri base station/Bai de Dones restaurant as the chair was closed for a while due to gusts of wind at the top. I didn't approach as they all looked a bit anxious.

The good news was that the chair did eventually start running and looks like they got the footage they wanted on the empty run up at Col Gallina for the opening sequence! Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 28-01-24 23:33; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
Layne wrote:

I’m not keen on the noise of the drone, TBH. I find it quite disconcerting when it suddenly accelerates

We were watching the race training from the terrace of the Duca d'Aosta next to the Tofana Schuss last Wednesday. They were practicing with the drones too and hearing them wailing like banshees was an unearthly sound. They were so fast trying to keep up with the racers doing 60-70mph!!

The footage when they pull up was a bit disconcerting, but I think it added a bit extra perspective of the speeds involved compared to the fixed cameras.

We got on the Pomedes chairlift which goes up next to the Schuss and witnessing the racers fly off the top only metres away in person is like nothing you see on screen...they're absolutely fearless!! Shocked
snow conditions
Dons fireproof clothing.

I’ve really enjoyed the last two weeks of Ski Sunday. I like watching the men’s, ladies, the segments. All really interesting stuff and pulled the kids into watching it with me as well. They’re less interested when it’s 40 mins of slalom racing.

Really strong set of middle episodes and I think Chemmy and Ed have had a bit of a belter with their presenting.
latest report
@Richard_Sideways's chart at the top of this page was rather badly misinterpreted on here. It did not say what proportion of the people were skiing as against snowboarding at any one time, but what proportion of those asked said they had done that activity. A very big difference. Lots of the people had done multiple things.
snow conditions
Agent Orange wrote:
I think Chemmy and Ed have had a bit of a belter with their presenting.

I find them really cringe and I know I'm not alone.

Better if the BBC resurrect David Vine using AI. I'd watch that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy