Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Après-Ski/ Nightlife or Gastronomy 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Germany.

This is what happens when Bar/Restaurant restrictions are lifted and you do not CONTINUE to observe social distancing & hygiene rules..

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersachsen/Corona-Faelle-nach-Feier-Kritik-an-Werft-Leitung,corona3202.html

I expect to see a lot more of these hotspots flair ups in the coming weeks/months ...

Après Ski (Austria) Restaurant's, Nightlife will not be the same Season 2020/221. It may not even exist. Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE wrote:
@Orange200, @telford_mike, is correct it is the pople who go to ski resorts, go drinking rather than skiing that reduce the price for the rest of us. The more people that buy lift passes but don't use them the better. Except that the money is just pocketed by the lift owners as profit who see no reason to invest in new facilities while the existing ones cope just fine.

It is perfectly feasible to ski all day and party all night!! And do it all again the next day. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ghost Dog, not at my age its not
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ghost Dog, We went to St Anton one christmas and in the chalet with us were a party of Australians, most of whom were beginners. The resort was jammed packed with most lift queues in excess of 30 minutes and ski tip to ski tail shoulder to shoulder siing on the easier runs. Most of the australians gave up skiing by day 3 and sarted staying out later and later getting drunker and drunker as the week progressed. Eventually we would meet them returning to the chalet in the morning while we headed out to join the lift queues.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there the possibility of resorts limiting lift passes next season, so as to limit numbers (and therefore queues at lifts) as part of social distancing measures?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Android2000, of course it's a possibility.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Given many people will decide not to go for reasons either financial or perceived risk to health, I suspect there might not be the need to formally restrict lift passes.
A bigger question is will resorts bother to open if, because of limited skiers, they are guaranteed to make a heavy loss?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Restricting lift passes would have little significant impact in many resorts.

Take somewhere like Portes du Soleil, even on a half term week I bet you could walk up to the Super-Morzine bubble and get straight on with a bubble all to yourself - at 11:45 or 15:45. Mean time you'll probably find yourself in a queue even on one of the quietest weeks - for first lift (especially if it snowed overnight). And what if you tried to socially distance on something like the Samnaun gondola in Ischgl? That horrid thing has queues even when they are jamming people in like sardines for the 7min ride. Social distance that and you're talking about and upload rate of probably 16, rather than 180 people every 7min or 144 rather than 1,620/hr.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mjit, but don’t they make most of their profits in 4-5 busy weeks? If passes had to be restricted for these weeks for social distancing then would that not wipe them out?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get how it can affect local businesses but in terms of a consumer, I'm not too fussed! I'm going for the skiing, and this whole set up sounds a lot like how a ski season in Japan was for me! The slopes don't feature the students drunkenly making their way down from apres bars, you won't spend half your budget on meals out at night. It'll be a different kinda ski holiday for a lot of people but I don't think it will by any means be a bad one!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, Have you ever skied in Scotland? This is how it is every year! The only issues they may have is perhaps limiting the T bars to one person per bar instead of doubling up to reduce queueing time.

I usually avoid the one mountain hut at lunchtime due to queues and unhealthy food. Also, there is a high risk of flu and norovirus in such confined crowded places.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bars and restaurants are now open in Austria. The allowed closing time will increase from 11pm to 1am in mid June. At the same time, some of the mask requirements (e.g. in shops and for customers in restaurants) will end. Some of the lifts have also opened now, and while you are supposed to wear a mask, it does not seem to be being enforced (although you could be fined).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowhound wrote:
@Mjit, but don’t they make most of their profits in 4-5 busy weeks? If passes had to be restricted for these weeks for social distancing then would that not wipe them out?

Would it wipe them out more than not opening?

Possibly if you took the blinkered view we tend to in the UK then no, as the lift company you probably woudn't open. There tends to be a lot more communal thinking in at least French and Austrian ski resorts (sometimes to the point of cartel-isum, but that's just the flip side of the coin) so the lift company's more likely to open and run at a loss, knowing it will mean critical cash flow for the hotels/ski hire shops/restaurants/shops, and pay checks for the people working in those businesses. The hotels/etc they need to still be in business in the post Covid world so enough people can visit the resort in the future to sell a profitable number of lift passes to.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, It's a complete lack of that type of logical thinking that has plagued Aviemore for many a year.

Sorry for the thread drift.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Forget about 2020/2021 Winter Season

High chance resorts will be have to be closed before they even get started...

The risks of a Second wave and tourists spreading Covid 19 all over the European Continent again is just to High.

If it is allowed to go ahead..

It will be completely at your own risk...so if Government travel advice changes in the Fall your insurance will become Invalid.

3rd Party Insurance is Compulsory in the EU.

Be prepared for instant Lockdowns at own expense and ZERO chance of a 2nd Government Repatriation...

Apres Ski Austria

Federal Decision later in year...unlikely to be anything like before (Seated Only, Table Service, No Standing, Music Turned Down)

This will mean many Establishments will NOT Open this season.

Compulsory entry Good Health Certificates (CV19 negative) not older than 3-4 Days.

All will become clearer in the Fall of this year 2020
latest report
stanton wrote:
Federal Decision later in year...unlikely to be anything like before (Seated Only, Table Service, No Standing, Music Turned Down)

Sounds fine too me.
- I'm too old to do the whole standing-for-hours thing, especially after having stood on skis all day (excluding yard sales) so always go for a seat at apres anyway.
- Why queue at the bar if someone will just bring you beer!
- I'm not sure what the different is between "seated only" and "No standing". Will the urinals be taped off so you'll have to use the stalls, even if you just need a pee? (thouch lot of benefit when you get to the wobbly stage of drunken...)
- And in addition to not smelling of smoke/having to put in eye drops every 10min I won't have too sore a throat from 'singing' in the bar either!
ski holidays
@Mjit, smoking banned now
snow conditions
National Decision needed Fast on future of Apres Ski in Austria.

https://www.tt.com/artikel/17221597/apr-s-ski-wird-zur-heissen-kartoffel-ruf-nach-regelungen-wird-laut
snow report
[quote="stanton"]National Decision needed Fast on future of Apres Ski in Austria.

"Don't panic, don't panic, Mr Mainwaring. The ski season starts in 4 months, we must have a decision today."

OR, as Frankie said, "Relax............
snow conditions
Hopefully Ben Ledi apres ski will still be running

Lunchtime Jan 2019

March 2018 no other skiers on this piste:

Dec 2017 another quiet day on Ben Ledi:

Dec 2017 unfortunately you need to walk up, or hitch a lift with an ATV:

latest report
"""Österreich muss aus den Fehlern der anderen lernen. Und auch aus seinen eigenen – Stichwort Ischgl. Zumindest in diesem Punkt scheint die sonst zerstrittene Branche einig. Denn es wäre fatal, würde Deutschland eine Reisewarnung für ganz Österreich aussprechen. Passiert das in der kommenden Wintersaison, gehen in den Tourismushochburgen im Westen des Landes schneller die Lichter aus, als irgendwer beim Après-Ski „Hölle! Hölle! Hölle!“ brüllen kann.""

https://kurier.at/meinung/die-party-war-schon-angesagter/401003339
ski holidays
That means even less than a OneGlove post Very Happy
snow report
Or...
Austria has to learn from the mistakes of others. And also from his own - keyword Ischgl. At least on this point, the otherwise divided industry seems to be united. Because it would be fatal if Germany were to issue a travel warning for all of Austria. If that happens in the coming winter season, the lights in the tourist strongholds in the west of the country will go out faster than anyone at the après-ski “Hell! Hell! Hell! ”Can roar
You're welcome Very Happy
snow conditions
NO Apres Ski

Serfaus

In den Schirmbars der Bergbahnen wird zur Gänze auf "Après-Ski-Stimmung" verzichtet. Die Schirmbars werden im Stil eines Kaffeehauses, mit Bedienung, geführt. Auf die Tischabstände wird natürlich auch hier genau geachtet. Es wird nur dezente Hintergrundmusik gespielt. Auch die Öffnungszeiten werden sich an den Bahnzeiten orientieren.

https://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/de/Live/Aktuelle-Informationen#collapse-0-3

Ischgl is following earlier News release from Serfaus

APRÈS-SKI SAFETY MEASURES
In winter 20/21, there will be no après-ski in its usual form. The exact details are yet to be announced. Après-ski offers will be drastically limited due to the legal regulations. But its new form will provide a key, higher quality offer for our guests. Details to follow!

https://www.ischgl.com/en/Active/Active-Winter/Start-our-winter
snow conditions
In Switzerland, to date, they've had 23 deaths /100K compared to the USA (53) and UK (62).

COVID deaths yesterday were: CH (0) and zero all last week, USA (1,132) an increase from previous day, and UK (12).

Seems to me that people here in Switzerland are pretty relaxed but alert re COVID. As you would be if no one had died of it in the last week and it was clear the Big Wave has come and gone. Yes, there are still localised outbreaks, but their track+trace seems to work fast and of course, their tracing app has been in operation since March. What you get, I suppose if you don't give responsibility for Track+Trace to a failed and unqualified political crony, and your politicians have moved on from 19th century pen+paper processes.

So my conclusion is that in CH at least, it's not going to be a big thing. You'll be wearing a mask on public transport and gondolas, but not elsewhere. You'll be sharing gondolas and chairs but won't talk. Bars, cafés and restaurants will be lower density but un-masked. And they'll be no dense aprés-ski bars or nightclubs. You'll be required to download and enable the app, and have to provide contact name/tel.no at cafés and restaurants.

The big question isn't going to be what the conditions are at your target resort, but whether you'll be allowed in. Or rather, allowed in without having to quarantine.
snow report
Umm, you DO realise these two statements are NOT the same...?

stanton wrote:
NO Apres Ski

stanton wrote:
no après-ski in its usual form
ski holidays
@Mjit, For Stanton there is only one form of Apres Ski. If he can't have that then it doesn't exist Toofy Grin
latest report
@LaForet, Thats what may have happened in the past but using worldometer figures the UK 7 day rolling average for new cases is around 1000, on a like for like population basis Switzerland is running at around 1600. Still very good compared with a lot of Europe, but maybe not as rosy as you suggest on the last 7 days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a nice email from my hotel the other day detailing the Christmas and New Year party arrangements. All sounded very pleasant and appealing to me.
latest report
Switzerland now on the Scottish quarantine list, but not the English one.
latest report
Looks like Nicola S. doesn't like the way the Swiss figures are going, quarantine now required if returning from Switzerland to Scotland.
snow report
@chocksaway Certainly, I wouldn't be as sanguine if I was in the Geneva Canton. Or to a lesser extent, the Vaud. Geneva apparently has 125,000 or so French cross-border workers, and French residents in adjacent areas have been tending to cross into CH because they don't then have to wear masks in bars. And the French and Swiss Covid App infrastructures don't talk to each other, so if someone is diagnosed in once country but works or visits the other then it doesn't get notified.

But entire country exclusion is a blunt instrument. As of today, Geneva is running at 228 confirmed cases in quarantine, while here in the Valais it's 61 and in Glaurus it's 5. But the UK is treating all returnees the same.

I can't help but think that if and when the UK exceeds this or a related key metric, it'll be the first to complain that its citizens are being unfairly required to quarantine because of the effect of a few hot spots. By next season, I hope that (a) returnee testing (from a high risk country) will be mandatory and quick turnaround and (b) the UK has a useful app that can help automate and streamline monitoring of returnees.
latest report
@LaForet,

when 200+ people get on a plane, you tend to have no idea where those passengers have been. Not all would be going to areas with low infection rates.
How do you even start to try & police it? people will just lie. There are already community spikes across the UK, but I would guess if a London got another big spike, then countries would lockdown.
We are down 2 confirmed cases a week in my County. 2 cases last 7 days, total of 4 last 14 & 10 last 21 days & 17 last 30 days. Just because it is safe here, does not mean it safe to get here!
snow report
LaForet wrote:
...French residents in adjacent areas have been tending to cross into CH because they don't then have to wear masks in bars. And the French and Swiss Covid App infrastructures don't talk to each other...

But entire country exclusion is a blunt instrument...

While whole country exclusion is a blunt instrument it's the sort of case you highlighted yourself that makes it necessary.

If we weren't idiots as a species it would be fine but sadly we are. I'm sure there are many people out there spending this morning trying to work out how they can holiday in spain, flying via Portugal to weasle out of quarantine on their return, for example.
ski holidays
People wanting regional restrictions for other countries should be careful what they wish for. We could expect them to be applied in return to the UK. So currrently that might mean no travel to certain countries if you live in, or want to fly from, say Greater Manchester or Aberdeen.

And it could also make claiming on insurance, or getting a refund, much more difficult. There might be no blanket FCO advice not to travel to a particular country, and flights from other airports would still be operating.
ski holidays
With more localized 'no go' areas I can see the potential for some real crazyness at some of the mega-resorts.

Immigration: Where have you been?
Returning skier: Sking in X.
Immigration: Humm, that resort isn't on a no-go list, but the ski area dips in to an area that was after 4am Thursday. Did you do runs X, Y, or Z on Thursday or Friday? If you did you need to quarantine for 14 days but if not you're fine.

* Though I guess that could still happen somewhere like the Portes du Soleil or Ischgl. France/Austria might be fine but Switzerland could be on the 'no go' list. Ski down the wrong piste and you find yourself having to lock down!
snow conditions
ecureuil wrote:
People wanting regional restrictions for other countries should be careful what they wish for. We could expect them to be applied in return to the UK. So currrently that might mean no travel to certain countries if you live in, or want to fly from, say Greater Manchester or Aberdeen.

And it could also make claiming on insurance, or getting a refund, much more difficult. There might be no blanket FCO advice not to travel to a particular country, and flights from other airports would still be operating.

What's wrong with that? I see infection numbers for france, austria, greece, etc. - but I would rather know if the areas I am going to are highly infected or not.
Equally, if it means I dont get on a plane in the UK from a current UK hotspot, then it's win win.
ski holidays
Time is Running as there are only 2.5 months until the Winter Season begins ... A Decision must be made

There will be either an Outright Apres Ski Ban
or
extremely regulated.

Lift Company's belong (rules come under) to the Public Transportation Sector.. Face Mask are be Compulsory.. Lifts will be speeded up which some folks will like.....

Tirol Political Part Leader (ÖVP) wants regulated Apres Ski .. Registration of all guests..Numbers restricted. A Curfew between say 18:00-19:00 to allow for Deep Cleaning on Premises..

Vienna Austrian Health Minister wants a coordinated Regional Approach (Italy,France, Switzerland) so no one has a competitive advantage..

Wintertourismus „unter ganz spezifischen Rahmenbedingungen“ stattfinden, wie er vor wenigen Tagen in Aussicht gestellt hatte.

""""winter tourism is to take place "under very specific conditions", as he had promised a few days ago"""

https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3063797/
latest report
@stanton, Ski Amade published their protocols days ago
ski holidays
I was in Cervinia/Zermatt a few weeks ago and I guess Austria will have similar policy:
- Everybody should wear mask/buff in all gondolas.
- Small gondolas(usually 6 or 8 people) limited to 3 people also with masks.
- Restaurants working normally but with a bigger distance between tables and you should wear mask all the times except when seated.
- Night clubs closed.
- Walk around in the city center no masks required but once inside any place, masks needed.

So my guess would be that aprés-ski in bars/huts that have an open area should be ok as long as people keep the distance and night clubs will only be open as long as there are tables so they can control social distancing.
Nevertheless, as long as I can ski from 9h to 16h, I'll be very happy, even if I can't party at night snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy