Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski terminology that bugs you...

Poster: A snowHead
@stevew, nope it's a cable car which is cunningly disguised
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And when on the subject of "Cham" how annoying is "Val"? Or "Bourg"?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, still doesn't explain it, a cable car, is a car (passenger compartment) transported using a cable. And a gondola is just another name for such a car/compartment.

How the compartment and the cable are used is surely not related to the terms. Otherwise you would call them same line cable cars and fixed on cable cars or something like that.

So "same difference" surely?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevew wrote:
The La Grave one is a pulse gondola?

A pulse gondola just means the cars are grouped together and not evenly spaced. Still on cars on a cable though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, snowheads exam question

1 One goes round and round but as a result goes up and down.

2 One goes up and down but not round and round.

A A cable car
B A gondola

Now is it 1=A or 1=B
Match the number to the letters

Mark scheme: 1 mark for 1=B Deduct a mark for 1=A. 1 mark for 2=A. Deduct a mark for 2=B.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gordyjh wrote:
I still have no idea about which sort of jacket I prefer - hard or soft shell!

@Tarquin, surely in that context, pants means knickers rather than trousers?
Yes, that was my point.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bash full
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A cable car. You queue up at a turnstile and it lets a specific number of people through to a holding pen where you wait again for the lift thing to come. It won't leave until you've all squeezed in and when it sets off, the turnstile opens for the next load of people.

A gondola. You just go through the turnstile and get on the next lift thing that comes, or wait for the next one if it looks crowded. You don't need to play sardines.

(Non scientific answer.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, still doesn't explain it, a cable car, is a car (passenger compartment) transported using a cable. And a gondola is just another name for such a car/compartment.

How the compartment and the cable are used is surely not related to the terms. Otherwise you would call them same line cable cars and fixed on cable cars or something like that.

So "same difference" surely?

A cable car has it's transport carriage run on supporting cables (static and often two) and is pulled along that support by another cable that travels in a loop to move the two cars in sync, hence they stop at opposite ends oof system. Sometimes called tramways as they are effectively running on two rails.

Gondola is usually configured as a chairlift with cars clamped onto one moving (support and transit) cable, in effect a scaled up chairlift. Very Happy

Of course there are exceptions as with most things in life Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
in my respectful view, a bubble is also a gondola, and a chair will always be a chair. you can have sex in the former but not on the latter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A cable car is a reciprocating lift. The cable moves forwards, stops and then reverses the same distance. A gondola moves in one direction only at a more constant but much slower speed than a cable car.

Think of a detachable chairlift as simply a ‘cheap’ gondola Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, Doesn't it maybe come from the Latin, Fero = I carry? Fero, ferre, tuli, latum... Just a thought!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a dislike of the word Domaine, for some reason...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 8-06-19 12:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feet torturers - ski boots.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have a dislike of the word Domaine, for some reason...

because it's French?
snow conditions
Pizza - Instead of Snow Plough, rather than the tasty food item.
Ice - A cover-all term for snow which is not slush or powder. Ice = Skating rink, frozen waterfall or G&T.
Coin Montagne - Just because......
latest report
brandegg wrote:
in my respectful view, a bubble is also a gondola, and a chair will always be a chair. you can have sex in the former but not on the latter.

Is that a challenge?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Hurtle, “Cham” is often heard amongst the French locals...

Which is confusing because the locals in Cham are Swiss.
latest report
brandegg wrote:
you can have sex in the former but not on the latter.

Awww, where's your sense of adventure?
snow report
The above isn't just pedantry on my part. I did once have a lengthy and confusing exchange of emails with our Swiss distributor as I had told him that demo skis were available in Cham (when they were in Chamonix), his business is based close to one, but not so much the other.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, i have ED on the chairlift. but the bubble is ok.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy