Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
genepi, Le Solan? A bar? Worth going to? Might see you around Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevew, Le Solan - bar/excellent restaurant/ take away pizza/free wifi....you name it. They have a big screen for matches. Christophe & Patrice are great hosts Very Happy Its about 25yds from your front door, & an excellent choice for chalet staff night off - as is La Vache, further up the hill. May well see you - I'm the one with the dodgy knee, so not skiing this year Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
genepi, I'll look out for dodgy kneed people, although not sure how many late nights we'll be doing at our age.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevew, Laughing Laughing usually there around 5! Not too late at our age either...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
genepi wrote:
stevew, Laughing Laughing usually there around 5! Not too late at our age either...

Ah that sounds good an apres ski bar Very Happy Probably see you there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On my Snowboard again today. I do like riding the powder at high speed. We met up a little later to give the -14 forecast a chance to warm up and the clouds to clear. We were not disappointed. Headed over to the Arc 2000 bowl via the snowpark and a few short off piste runs to arrive at the Grand Col. Then spent some time in the off piste both sides of the chairlift finding some nice powder which was not to tracked out. Very Happy

Then it was time to head into the back country. After going down in the direction of the Mont Pouri refuge we hiked up the ridge and rode all the way down to Nancroix on good powder and a fun track with plenty of banked bends to play on.Then back across Les Arcs from the top of the Derby by a slightly different route to normal arriving from the off piste only 50m above the Vagere chair. Finally stopping off at the Altiport for a drink before a last run down a gully to Arc 1600 and then the Violettes piste for a to Les Granges and home. Toofy Grin

The resent snow had stayed in good condition on the more sheltered off pistes areas which gave us some good powder and all the pistes we used were in excellent condition. The forecast is for this cold sunny spell to continue so the snow should remain good for the next few days. Smile

Pics of today are posted in the Feb 2012 Album two of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Here is just one. Enjoy! Madeye-Smiley

The Snowpark is in vey good condition! Feb 20
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is a cracking pic! can't wait to get back out there! Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Amazed how much snow is in the valley. I'm assuming we're looking down at Bourg? Has the snow been there since January or is it new snow?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevew, Yes the snow has been there since January and was quiet deep in Borg.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
surfski, There was more snow in Bourg this Janaury than there was up in Arc 2000 the previous January wink Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmmm, looking forward to heading out tomorrow for four days. Have just realised that we will be driving back from Bourg St Maurice to Geneva airport on Sunday late afternoon. (flight check in opens at 19.30) - any regulars go a view on how bad traffic will be out of Bourg Sunday afternoon and advice on length of time to get to geneva....

We have previously left about 4.30pm giving us 3 hrs for the journey and normally make good time... BUT we have normally done this Monday/Tuesday rather than a Sunday.... I'm expecting it to be bad. But any views how bad...?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richie_S, Sunday Afternoon shouldn't be to bad. 90% of people still come and go on Saturday. Go ask redrunmarcus on the Montalbert chat thread, he runs a taxi business and does these runs the whole time. He would be best judge.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks TFC... will do!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easy day this morning. Went up and met some friends for a ski around the pistes in the morning. Did a little easy off piste with them just as a taster and then off to pick up the kids. Very Happy

Time for me to have a little play and despite the flat light which was slowly clearing managed a little route with about 500m of untracked good snow and then into the 'secret forest' for a nice route before lunch. Sometimes it is just fun to be on your own away from everyone. Toofy Grin

Met up with others for lunch and headed up the Aiguille Rouge and down the glacier piste and then Robert Blanc couloir which had good chalky snow. Fun and not to busy. Smile

Over to the Arc 1800 side and a few other little off piste routes before heading to the LA Session and some big air at Arc 1800. The tricks the jumpers on boards and skis were pulling looked good and the fireworks at the end were nice. But the buses back to the funi were crazy and I was pleased I did not stay for the party as getting home later would have been impossible. Riding down to Bourg in the dark is not my idea of fun these day. Evil or Very Mad

Tomorrow the weather should be better, so hope to do some bigger routes. Although it was fun going to another ski area for a few day, it is good to be back. Madeye-Smiley

Pics from today will be posted in the Feb 2012 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy! Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went up early today and met up with some friends for a play in the National Park before the snow warms up to much and starts to go off. Crying or Very sad

After a fast ski to get to the top of the arpette chair we did one of the little side couloirs down to the marmotte chair and then to the top of the Aiguille Rouge, which with the crowds even first thing in the morning took a while. Confused

Hiked a little and then headed down one of the couloirs in good snow on a less used route almost the whole way down to La Planay. Then round the lifts again and back up to make a run through the Lanchettes Valley on more good snow, this time firm and chalky rather than soft and untracked. Toofy Grin

Had a late lunch at the Ferme in Villaroger and then did another off piste route before heading home. Very Happy

The pistes today were still in good condition, but are becoming hard packed and slippy in the more well used areas, coming into lifts and going down into stations so take care and make sure you have plenty of room to stop. There have been a number of bad accidents reported this week where people have skied into each other. Sad

The off piste conditions are changing rapidly. The higher areas are holding up well with good soft snow still to be found, although tracked in most places. Slightly lower down you can still find good snow if you get the aspect right, but coming down towards the pistes into stations the snow has become heavy or crusty and quite difficult to ski at times. Smile Take care in the heavy snow, it is easy to damage a knee. Sad

Hope to do another trip on the Bellecote tomorrow if the weather permits.

Pics of todays routes are posted in the Feb 2012 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter page on facebook. Enjoy!!
snow report
So yesterday was super warm. Base layer and a hoody was all I needed. Good to see another snack bar has opened on the slopes for a cheaper lunch, over by top of Piesey lift. Today, took cable car up and down to Villaroger and lunch at Le Ferme. After lunch trek back up the lifts and over to the park for some fun on the airbag. Finished off the day with a few runs off the Mont Blanc chair. Beers again in Arvi in 1600.
snow conditions
Today, as planned I managed to meet up with the others at the Vanoise Express and head over on a quiet changeover day to La Plagne and up to the Bellecote Glacier via the Roche de Mio face. Firm hard chalky snow all the way down and quite pleasant to ski. Very Happy

Then as it was already quite late and getting warm, two of us made our way to the North Face and into the Canadian Couloir. After going down the first section to where the rocks now show following a resent avalanche we traversed out and down the shoulder on nice soft snow to the lower ridge. Had a picnic and then carried on down towards the forest at the bottom on more good snow. The forest track was also in good condition which made the final section very easy for a change. The condition of the snow on the face was much better than I had expected and we even managed to find a few untracked areas of soft snow. Toofy Grin

Once back in Peisey we headed back towards Arc 1800 finding more good snow and even a few untracked places not far from the pistes. If you look hard there are a few short stretches of good snow still about. The hard re-frozen crust had started to become softer and was more like spring slush in places. The pistes we crossed are still holding up well and all those coming out this week are in for some good skiing and boarding. Smile

Depending on the weather of the coming week, I was told the waterslide at the Altiport may open later in the coming week. Should be fun! Twisted Evil

The rest of yesterdays pics and the ones from today will be posted in the Feb 2012 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!
latest report
Right now it is horrible outside lower down. Cold and damp.The clouds are clearing higher up and the sun is now out again above 2000m so I am having a bit of a late start and catching up on some emails and messages.

It is colder today and although the Avalanche level is 2 this morning, they are talking about an accident in the Chamonix area on the radio and warning people to take great care off piste. The rapid temperature changes are starting to mess up the snow as we saw ourselves yesterday.

Also there has been a warning of busy roads and a catch somewhere towards Aime so if you are on the road or heading down/up today it might be worth taking the back roads.

Will try and add a few pics of current conditions later. Very Happy
latest report
Have just googled the Waterslide Snowcrazy mentioned - looks fab can you tell us where it is so I can find it from Piste map - strictly watching only Laughing
snow conditions
migletski, Its below the snowpark in 1600, just above altiport restaurant. Enjoy it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hi gang, i just got here and had a great morning and early afternoon above the clouds on the Aguille Rouge. But absolute highlight and not to be missed, one of the best hamburgers I have ever had. I love my food and am normally eating at the tip top joints. But I saw this guy eating this burger (turns out it was the chef) and had to have one. Simply sensational - and in France ! Arcs 1800, cafe bar called Etranger with a snack bar opposite. Mathieu is the chef and the burger is awesome. Good Rhone wine from the cafe. The skiing is pretty good too ; )
latest report
migletski, give it a go when you get here. It is not as hard as it looks and all that happens if you get it wrong is you get wet unless you are really unlucky. Twisted Evil

eagleyezer, Welcome. Good to read that you like the food as well as the skiing. If you fancy meeting up for a beer or even a ski send me a PM.

The pics of the last few days are now posted over on my Les Arcs Winter page on facebook. Open access, you do not need to sign in to look at them.

Do we really have to ski down here? Feb 24

Over looking Arc 1950 and Arc 2000! Feb 24

I will post a report of today later as I must leave for dinner now. Very Happy I was back on the snowboard again for a change. Flat light most of the time, but still fun! Toofy Grin
snow report
Went up a little late today and after riding around a little to get the feel of my board again, headed up the top of the Arpette to have a look over into the Arc 2000 bowl. The vis was still not that great and the sun was only really shinning at the top so went over to the Blanche Murree to meet up with friends. We then headed off to ride around the Peisey Vallandry area where the light was better. Very Happy

Finally going back towards Arc 1800 and then Arc 1600 trying a few off piste areas, but until we reached the Malgovert forest most of the snow was hard packed crud which had frozen last night and not really melted due to the clouds blocking out the sun for most of the day. Toofy Grin

We managed to find a few lips to jump safely (well the others did, not with my knees any more unless I really have too) and then finally after a short route through the trees arrived back at Arc 1600 and home. Smile

All the pistes were quite hard packed and slippy in places today where they had been re-frozen and not really melted again. The off piste was not that great unless we stayed in the shady areas and even then it was still very firm and bone rattling. Despite the conditions we still managed to have a fun time and I rode more pistes on my board today than I have all season, so good for the technique. I hope tomorrow the sun comes out again to soften the snow a little. Twisted Evil

Pics from today are in the Feb 2012 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!
latest report
Back home after 4 great days in Les Arcs. After all the snowfall and cold conditions, a tinge of regret we weren't there a week or two earlier. With the temps warming up it was definately 'thaw/freeze' cycle and hard pistes in the morning - Coupled with flat light on occasion meant a slower start to the day, maybe a coffee, before heading out on the piste to allow the skiers to chop them up a bit. Still, 'tinge of regret' is short lived. The pistes had plenty of cover, few stones, or bare patches. The new Mont Blanc lift was a welcome addition to the uplift out of 1600 - Thou I can't imagine the apartments beneath it are too enamoured with the loss of view - and the full length Mont Blanc blue piste a great leg warmer to start the day.

Lifts were busy in the 'centre' of the ski area.... Arpette/Arcabulle/Vagere but less so around the 'edges' - Peisey vallandry area always quieter and with such great pistes in the area I never understand it!

Prices in resort continue to rise... EURO5.50 for a pint in 1600 vs EURO5 last year. And EURO20 for a board wax and edge in Cristina Sports (in 1600) vs EURO15 last year. I remember EURO10 a few years ago... Sad

Favourite post board refreshment stop was the Arvi Bar at one end of 1600 'complex' - Warstiener beer, nice surroundings (booths, good for a group) and the Rugby on Saturday night, and a great window view over the valley.

Food stops... as per post above, the new snack stop above the Peisey lift was welcome - EURO6.90 for a large jambon/fromage baguette sandwich or steak hache/frites/baguette combination that beat even the hungriest of our group. Disappointed in the Maxima down in Vallandry - special on Thursday was a lovely tasty chilli and rice.... but the EURO12 price took the mickey a little. The Kebab Pizza thou met with approval from those who had it (!). La Ferme down in Villaroger, was very good - Sausage and local 'crozets' pasta dish lovely and at 11.90 a welcome generous portion (in fact, the server took one look at my 6ft 5" mate and dolloped an extra ladle full of crozets on his plate!) - We still miss the burgers in the Flying Squirrel thou....

The park this year continues to improve.... the jumps were better set up, more boxes for jibbing off - and the airbag just great fun if you can keep the youngsters in check with the occasional "oi, back of the queue mate"...

Thursday we gave the Rodeo tobogan run a go... EUR07.00 a go, but buy a ticket for 4 and it was only EURO20 - 3km, 25 turns.... the steeper turnier middle section is hilarious fun, and more than compensates for the shallow start and end. I believe it is reserved for 12 yrs old and over... and having done it, can understand that... it's pretty 'gnarly' and everyone is out of control at some point!

So, that's my annual lads trip to Les Arcs over with for another year. No family trip for me this year, as my wife is heavily pregnant (lucky to get away this weekend TBH!) but already checking next years preview brochures... one trip is not enough, is it?
snow report
Just posted a few pics from yesterday. The new tunnel on the rodeo is fun, but best to do it on a sledge. Skiing down the course is not allowed. Evil or Very Mad

The conditions today were very similar to yesterday. First thing this morning it was very hard, firm, slippy and on most pistes real boiler plate conditions. Where to go? After a ski across Les Arcs to Peisey Vallandry on piste we decided to head over to La Plagne and the Bellecote North Face. Toofy Grin

After some rather large queues we made it to the top of the Roche de Mio. Time to try the off piste. A little worried that the conditions would be the same off piste, we headed down the the Rossets couloir and were relieved to discover firm chalky snow. Fun to turn on as long as you can keep your edge. Smile

Then up to the top of the Bellecote Glacier and another route back down to the Chalet de Bellecote Chair in the unprotected off piste area. Managed to find some good stretches of snow, but not enough to be worth doing it twice. Time to go onto the north face. This time we opted for the classic Petit North Face route and found more firm chalky snow mixed in with some patches of good soft snow and lower down, crud and breakable crust. After a long decent including the tricky path in the forest we made it to the restaurant for a well earned drink. A good trip and we saw almost nobody. Just what we like! Twisted Evil

Finally it was back to Les Arcs to join the queues and busy pistes. After a few pistes made it to the top of the Derby Chair and then off piste all the way down to Arc 1800 before heading over to Arc 1600 and home. Smile

Another fun day comes to an end. Conditions are very mixed on and off piste. The best advice, follow the sun, but take care in the afternoons if you go off piste. Pics from today will be posted in the Feb 2012 Album Two of my facebook page. Enjoy!

Thought I would share this picture with you all. Despite the weather, still good snow to be found if you are willing to look hard for it!

Nice!!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 28-02-12 22:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Read elsewhere..... Les Arcs pistes are 'harder than Einstein's theory of relativity' and 'like 'Riding on a steel girder'... wink
ski holidays
allanm, ah yes!! But that is before he came with me and skied this today!! Plenty more pics of our routes today and the good snow we found in the Feb 2012 Album Two over on my facebook page.

Here is another just to tease you!! Toofy Grin

latest report
snowcrazy, LOL!! Took his jacket off then....
Great pic BTW!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Im not leaving for Les Arcs until the 17th march, really worried about these conditions now.

Any snow forecast?
snow report
If you buy the Discovery Pass which includes one day in La plagne does anybody know if you decide to go over for another day can passes be upgraded for another day for reasonable cost or is it better to bite the bullet and pay for a Paradeski Pass upfront ?
snow report
Bite the bullet. Not that much more
snow conditions
kevinrhead, bite the bullet
snow report
kevinrhead, if you're first time to Les Arcs, there is so much to ski, I'd be surprised if you needed more than one day in LP....which is also a huge domain. So, unless you're meeting people over there, or there is an event you're keen on seeing that occurs on another day to that you're planning on crossing over, my personal recommendation would probably be to take the Discovery. All IMHO, of course Smile

IIRC it is extra €30 or so for another day.
ski holidays
Edited - due to being a muppet

So warm here today - much warmer than yesterday. Strangely quiet compared to yesterday - not more than a couple of minutes wait for any lift, often just getting straight on. Went from 1800 to 2000 this morning and up Varet - oh, it was so beautiful. I last skied Les Arcs age 13 so it all seemed new to me. The snow was good up there - though the pistes are packed pretty hard there was some fluffy stuff on top to make the ride a bit easier. We then skied over and down to Vallandry through the trees - nice bit of shade. Rewarded with a beer at the bottom Very Happy only went and forgot the camera rolling eyes so we'll do it all again tomorrow Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 29-02-12 16:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
dave_wick, snow forecast for next week, with temps dropping back to normal, do not worry, the base we have will stay untill the end of April ! Smile Smile
snow conditions
What a difference a day makes!! After an overnight freeze due to the clear night, the sun came out early and it was +3 at 2500 by 9.30am. Very Happy

Following the boiler plate riding of yesterday over to the Bellecote to find good snow in the morning. Today with the warm sun out early the slopes were starting to soften up before the morning was over. Toofy Grin

With a bit of juggling of my time today I managed to get to go round most of the Robert Blanc Rally orienteering course with some friends. Take a few pics of some of the kids in the family slalom event and visit the waterslide at the Altiport which opened today attracting the usual big crowds. Smile

The pistes across Les Arcs are all firm hard packed boiler plate first thing in the morning, but now quickly soften as the sun starts moving around the mountains. By mid afternoon it was more like a day in late April. The off piste within the resort area is more like pistes with moguls everywhere as are the piste natures. But you can still ski almost anywhere as there is loads of snow still, so unless you crave powder like me (skiing chalky snow is fun, but powder is still the best), you are sure to have a great time when you come out. Very Happy

Even with the high temperatures we are having right now, they say it will get colder again by next week and maybe a little more snow.With a base of over 2m in most places right now it will be a while before the snow starts to run out so you do not need to worry. Twisted Evil

The Robert Blanc Rally was ok, but nothing like the old Derby Race. Deemed to dangerous to run in it's old format anymore due to health and safety risks (and they say this is progress!!). Those I skied round the course with enjoyed the fun of having the kids navigate, but I do miss the old race! Evil or Very Mad

The slalom was the normal Fleche format plus some slalom poles thrown in and there were free sweets and the Milka cow about to encourage everyone to try their best! Little Angel

It was a very different day for me to the usual off piste trips, but still very fun and I enjoyed my first ski over the waterslide this season and staying dry!! There was lots of swimming (falling in the water) and it is still the best free entertainment on the mountain. The Arpette Restaurant had it's usual apree party going from mid afternoon. This spot in good weather is becoming more like La Folie Douce in Val d'Isere every week. Party on until late with a meal and ski down by torch light. Really fun! Toofy Grin

Tomorrow they say will be warm again so an early start for us to get some safe off piste before the snow becomes unstable. Then up to the snowpark and waterslide for some pics and a drink at the altiport I think.

I will post some of the pics of todays fun in the Feb 2012 Album Two. Enjoy!!

Here is one pic of the fun at the waterslide today!!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 1-03-12 1:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, if you fancy meeting up whilst you are out send me a pm on here or over on my facebook page. See you at the waterslide I hope! Keeping dry of course! Twisted Evil

kevinrhead, It depends if you are a very good skiers/boarder. I normally recommend the discovery pass to most people as one day over the other side is enough the first time you are in Les Arcs, but if you like to cover big distances each day then it might be worth a whole area pass or you can get a daily upgrade if you need it.

dave_wick, no need to worry about the snow, as cockofthenorth, says there is loads of it!!

Any snowheads coming out, if you fancy meeting up for a drink or even a ski or board send me a PM on here or over on my Facebook page. Hope you like the pics. Very Happy
snow conditions
snowcrazy, we have a 10 year old skiing with us and a 5 year old at ski school so we are quite constrained. Ten year old has also woken with a tummy ache - we're going to head out though and see how we get on. We're heading over to 2000, then down to the snowpark/waterslide. If you are out and about Im wearing a VERY pink North Face jacket, white ski pants and a cream helmet. Black K2 skis with little multi colour triangles on them Smile im afraid i dont have a SH sticker Laughing after 12 we're going to get the Transarc lift to the top (with the five year old) for some lunch. My name is Helen by the way Smile
snow report
Leave me some snow...we aren't coming out till 24 March!
snow conditions
Managed to get up the mountain early again today and headed over to the Aiguille Rouge and some nice firm chalky snow on the shady area to skiers right of the Varet Gondola to practise those steep turns in some nice short couloirs. The off piste in this area has held up well and we played around here for a while finishing with a route down the Robert Blanc Couloir off one of the side cornices. Very fun!! Well I thought so!!

After this we headed up to the Grand Col and found some more good chalky snow quite near the piste this time. Then one of the guys felt like a little jump (not so little really!) and then up to the top of the Transarc. Sorry I missed you Helen, did not read your message until tonight.

Finally we headed over the back of the Col du Chal and down to Nancroix, just managing to finish the trip before the snow became to soft and unstable. We passed a few avalanches, but nothing to worry about. We were quite lucky with our timing as the snow had lost it's hard crust and was soft enough to enjoy skiing without sinking to deeply. The track out was fun with the banked turns and we even managed to get seats on the bus! Toofy Grin

When we got back to Peisey we headed back over to Arc 1800 and a late lunch.Then I headed home via the waterslide of course and another dry day with some more photos of the free entertainment on offer. Twisted Evil

All the pistes are holding up well and if you follow the sun during the day you will find some good places to ski or snowboard. The off piste and the pistes are much the same within the resort area, but be careful heading off piste further afield. There are quite a few slides so you need to know where to go safely. If in doubt, take a guide! For anyone heading out this weekend, you should have a fun holiday with a little more snow forecast for next week. Very Happy

Pics from today are posted in the March 2012 Album of my Les Arc Winter facebook page. Check out the action from the waterslide plus where we skied. Enjoy!

Just a little jump!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy