Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Jon Ford, nice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just peeled back the curtains to cloud, a very light overnight dusting and it's just starting to snow now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
genepi, I was doing the filming. Wanted to try the airbag but kept bottling it. I am the skier neat end of film wearing black jacket with the camera filming me ski. Doing film 2 tonight-"les arcs skiing". Part3 will be "les arcs, ice grotto, rodeo park and la plagne". snowcrazy, thanks for putting link on FB page. Hoping to get a fair few clicks on them. Richie_S, you will love le arcs. Best resort I've been too...albeit I've only been to 5.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heading out there on Sunday, so, so, so excited!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jenniper, It's a great place. If u like cruising blues u will be made up. Dead nice tree runs covered in snow. Make the most of it as I've only been back 3days and want to be back. If u can, pop to 1950 complex at night-always somethin happening.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Round 2 at Paradiski in the bag. Booked for another week in La Plagne for late march with few mates this morning.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowing quite a bit now, not stopped all morning. Spent the morning in the trees around peisey vallandry cos the wind at the top of transarc was horrendous. Off out in a bit to cruise some blues (for mrs ricfrench BTW)down to 1600 I think. Then a couple of circuits of mont blanc, back via belvedere, may be go up arpete, I'll see what the wind is like.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford wrote:
Jenniper, It's a great place. If u like cruising blues u will be made up. Dead nice tree runs covered in snow. Make the most of it as I've only been back 3days and want to be back. If u can, pop to 1950 complex at night-always somethin happening.

Sounds ideal for me, it's only my second ski trip Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jenniper, You'll love it. It's mrs ricfrrench's 3rd trip. To start with she found it far too cold at -25, and she was walking round with a face like thunder. It's now a balmy -6 and it's so much better. Just been out in the snow and wind cruising some blues(with a bit of red thrown in,shhh don't tell her). One bit of advice I will give you is learn how to skate, some of these forest blues have some long flats. It kinda turns it into a walking holiday for the less adventurous snowboarders Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ricfrench wrote:
Snowing quite a bit now, not stopped all morning. Spent the morning in the trees around peisey vallandry cos the wind at the top of transarc was horrendous. Off out in a bit to cruise some blues (for mrs ricfrench BTW)down to 1600 I think. Then a couple of circuits of mont blanc, back via belvedere, may be go up arpete, I'll see what the wind is like.

That sounds like a carbon copy of my day today... Although by the time I got to the Mont Blanc lift, it was either closed or had conked out again.

The light was pretty flat today. I almost bounced out of my boots at one point having taken a sudden and rather unexpected (but thankfully tiny) drop coming off belvedere into 1800. On the upside, the slow but steady snowfall throughout the day has rejuvenated some slighty sketchy pistes. Unfortunately as Chris has said, the sheer volume of use has rendered some busier areas a little treacherous in places, notably the last section of piste down to cachette, and from the top of chantel down to the bottom of chantel/vagere.

Overall though, having a great time here. The occasional stopoffs at La Caverne for a hot chocolate en route to vallandry certainly add to the enjoyment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing lightly all day and poor vis. But that did not stop the kids from racing!!

Despite the poor weather when I looked out the window this morning, we made it up by 9.30am and I met up with a friend to say goodbye before he leaves in a few days time. Then headed back to the GMX course and the skiercross competition.

The heats were going well and the kids told me that despite the poor light they were still having fun which was great. The course was quite fast in places and they certainly took some air off the jumps. After a good morning of racing. They had managed to do well against local kids that spend a great deal more time on skis.

Now it was playtime!! Headed off to the trees in various areas and then up and down a few more jumps (they never seem to get tired of them) in the snowpark before heading home.

The 5cm (or so) of fresh snow has freshened up the slopes nicely and except for coming into the stations or main lifts, the pistes were in very good condition. The bad weather did wonders for the lift queues (there were none) and we managed to ski all over the Arc 1600, 1800 and Peisey Vallandry area. The wind was strong up top so did not go over to Arc 2000 bowl today.

Tomorrow promises to be a good day with better weather coming in by lunch time the meteo forecasts and good powder to ski on we hope. The plan is for some of us to head over to La Plagne in the morning. We shall see?

Pics from todays racing will be posted shortly in the Feb 2012 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jon Ford, I know.... this is my 12th trip back there! Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Managed to put the 2nd les arcs film together last night. Unfortunately didn't have time to upload....v slow internet so will take 2hrs to upload. Will be done tonight and linked here. Really chuffed with it...best yet. Richie_S, ha ha, sorry sounded like u hadn't been before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DamonST wrote:
. The occasional stopoffs at La Caverne for a hot chocolate en route to vallandry certainly add to the enjoyment.

Where is La Caverne, I was in Les Arcs 3 weeks ago and never came across it. And we skied all over the place.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jon Ford, yup, first went in 2001 with a couple of mates, as an additional weekend trip alongside the annual family trip. We now have an annual 4 day 'Tour' of 8 guys, stay in Bourg and take the funi up every day.

Les Arcs provides for such a varied range of terrain we've never felt the necessity to go anywhere else. Besides, for repeat visits, it makes the booking and coordination process easier for the Tour leader (aka, me) !

We fly over from Luton/Geneva on Wednesday and will be in resort Thursday through Sunday. Normal watering hole is the Arvi bar in 1600 after a day on the slopes before taking the Funi (usually in high spirits accompanied by a rendition or two of some random 80's classic tune!)

Excitement is at fever pitch amongst the Tourists in anticipation of the best conditions ever!
ski holidays
Richie_S, sounds good. Wish my mates skiid...instead have to take the wife!
ski holidays
Here is part 2 of my Les Arcs hol. This includes skiing, night skiing, rodeo park & the views. Enjoy, and please share (I want to get it on the front page of You Tube for "les arcs" searches)

http://youtube.com/v/T2FI1rVkd2M
latest report
Great video

Cant wait to get out w/c March 17!!

Tweeted link out to followers just now
ski holidays
Jon Ford, Great video - you look very cool with the camera on the end of your pole! Quick question, how did your camera cope with the cold temperatures? We are planning on taking a GoPro (which I know is designed for shiz like this) but we are a bit worried about potential condensation when going back inside.
ski holidays
Thursday 16 Feb. The weather today did not turn out as well as they had forecast, but it did not stop us from having another fun day now that the races are over. We always like to ski the full paradiski area at least once during a week so it was time to head over to La Plagne. We skied a few gullies, hit the powder fields after the fresh snow yesterday, found some trees to dodge and generally messed around with loads of jumps all day before heading home via the Les Arcs Snowpark (which is a must everyday! Twisted Evil ) and yet another hot chocolate at the Beguin hotel bar. Very Happy

The pistes on both sides of the Vanoise Express were in good condition today after the freshening up they received with yesterdays snowfall. On the way over in the morning they were firm and grippy with a nice covering of fresh snow. On the return journey from Plagne Centre all the pistes we skied were still firm and grippy, but also quite slippy in places where they had been packed hard by many people passing in the main areas. Toofy Grin

The kids said the off piste routes we took were really fun as there was plenty of fresh powder and some untracked areas Very Happy . The vis was not that great some of the time so we had to be very selective as to where we took them to avoid any problems Madeye-Smiley . The jumps and gullies we skied were in good condition and proved challenging with quite a few falls although nobody seemed to mind. Quote, 'falling over today does not hurt' and then he took another jump and sat down laughing. Oh well!! to be young and bounce!! rolling eyes

Tomorrow we hope the sun comes out and we will then head out a little further afield. Will just have to wait and see.

Pics of todays exploits will be posted shortly in the Feb 2012 Album of my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!
snow report
Woo hoo, the sun is lighting mont blanc this morning. -6 on Robs accurate weather station. Looks like a great final day.
ski holidays
Jenniper, I was happily surprised with the quality of cam. I was filming it all within a fully waterproof case and only got condensation in it once when I opened the case in the cold after being indoors, but 10mins later it had "climatised" and I simply wiped the condensation off. The original video is much better quality but as converted its lost quality. Saw loads of "go pro heads". Would love 1 but mine seems to offer what I need...and half the price. Loved filming at end of pole. Best £2 I've spent in amazon!
snow report
Cheers for retweet timmythedog, wish I was going out again.
ski holidays
willie5094 wrote:
DamonST wrote:
. The occasional stopoffs at La Caverne for a hot chocolate en route to vallandry certainly add to the enjoyment.

Where is La Caverne, I was in Les Arcs 3 weeks ago and never came across it. And we skied all over the place.

Follow Foret down towards Vallandry. After the junction which splits off toward Grizzly (liaison grizzly/foret, also the bottom of myrtilles), there is a short run on Foret and it is the first building on your left hand side, just as you begin the last straight run down Foret to the Vallandry lift.

Our last days skiing today, before a 5am pickup tomorrow morning Mad Gonna take a few gentle runs down charmettoger and up/down in the vicinity of Vallandry a couple of times. Fallen out with the pistes around Chantel/Vagere due to the sheer numbers there, making the going more than a little skiddy across practically the entire area.
snow report
DamonST wrote:
willie5094 wrote:
DamonST wrote:

Follow Foret down towards Vallandry. After the junction which splits off toward Grizzly (liaison grizzly/foret, also the bottom of myrtilles), there is a short run on Foret and it is the first building on your left hand side, just as you begin the last straight run down Foret to the Vallandry lift.

Got that DamonST remember passing it I think, was there an igloo built next to the chalets beside it.

Sounds as if there a massive fresh dump of snow could be required to get rid of the slippy areas, when I was out there 3 weeks ago there wasn't any areas like that.
latest report
snowyowl, Yeah been thinking about buying a boot dryer. Which one do you have?
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=710030 This is the one I have. 10 years old and still fab. Smile
latest report
willie5094 wrote:
... slippy areas, when I was out there 3 weeks ago there wasn't any areas like that.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Possibly useful news this afternoon from the BSM Tourist Office:

Circulation du week-end

Information aux clients : Eviter de quitter les stations samedi 18/02 entre 8h et 11h.
Nombre de véhicules estimé entre Albertville et Moutiers :
A Arrivées en stations :
- Samedi : 36 000
- Dimanche : 15 000
A Retours de stations :
- Samedi : 29 000
- Dimanche : 15 000

Sounds like leave early, leave late... or leave by train!

Also: occupancy levels, 18 - 24th:
- Bourg Saint Maurice : 64%
- Arc 1600 : 72%
- Arc 1800 : 86%
- Arc 1950 : 99%
- Arc 2000 : 90%

Source : Observatoire Comète et hébergeurs

AR
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DamonST wrote:
willie5094 wrote:
DamonST wrote:

Got that DamonST remember passing it I think, was there an igloo built next to the chalets beside it.

Isn't that the place which is run by the New Zealanders (ie the place operates in English?)
Best Hot Chocolate (in our survey of everywhere over the last 10 years) is at Solliet on the way to Villaroger, now that Poudreuse has changed hands theirs has slipped down our list! Best Vin Chaud at the Chalet de Neige above Arc 2000 if you don't mind a second mortgage...
latest report
Here is part 3 (and the final part) of the Les Arcs holiday. This one is La Plagne, Les Arcs & the Ice Grotto. Enjoy
http://youtube.com/v/THPQYcCzDRc
snow report
Sorry, did not get the time to post pics yesterday. Only just got home from dinner tonight so pics from the last few days will have to wait until tomorrow when I have more time. Smile

I hope everyone leaving tomorrow has a good trip home. They have issued a black traffic warning day tomorrow in the valley with some 36,000 people leaving and arriving on Saturday. It will be busy on the roads. Evil or Very Mad

Today the sun shinned, the sky was blue and by the afternoon it was even warm as long as you stayed out of the shaded areas. The snow on piste was in great condition in most places, but going into the stations and busy lifts did start to get quite tricky later in the day with a hard packed slippy surface in many places.

The queues on some lifts were also quite large at times, but they did move quickly so it was not as bad as I had expected on such a sunny day. Toofy Grin

We did manage to avoid the queues most of the day by doing some fun off piste routes including the Col de la Chal down to Nancroix and through the centre of the Arc 2000 bowl all the way to the Bois de l'ours Chair. The Border cross in Peisey Vallandry and the Arc 2000 bowl were fun, as was the snowpark which we visited one last time. The runs down through the trees in Peisey Nancroix and towards Arc 1800 were also fun. Very Happy

Overall I would say the snow is holding up well on and off piste everywhere considering the number of people about so it should still be good during the coming week as more people arrive. Very Happy

The pics from the last few days will be posted in the Feb 2012 Album of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page tomorrow morning. Enjoy! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Anyone got a link to the Funiculaire timetable.... Google has let me down !

I know it runs till around 8pm but was interested in stops at Granges for the journey down after skiing to the mid station.
ski holidays
Richie_S: http://en.lesarcs.com/getting-around-les-arcs

Oops sorry that doesn't help for the intermediate stops does it? Will try again...
latest report
La Caverne is run & owned by Ski Olympic, a British firm based at Doncaster, Yorkshire! The directions posted are correct. Yes, there is a small igloo outside a chalet, just after Olympic.
snow conditions
Today it was time to say goodbye to those that were out for the first of the British half term weeks. After seeing them off I went up for a few hours on the snowboard in the warm afternoon sun. Good to be back sliding around in warm weather for a change. Did not do that much really, just met up with some friends at the snowpark and then did a run off the back in the National Park and went home again. Just had a great Thai dinner with friends and after posting some pics it will be time for bed with the hope of waking up to the new snow promised tomorrow.

The pistes and lifts today were not as busy due to it being changeover day. The pistes we went on were still in good condition, if a bit warn in places. The off piste was still fun if you went in the right area with some good soft snow still around. For those coming out you are in for some good skiing and boarding this coming week.

It will be interesting to see if the large crowds appear tomorrow as predicted. Time to head off piste again if the queues are as large as the last few days. We shall have to wait and see.

Richie_S, If you want to use the funi, then to go to La Grange you need to push the button that selects it or tell them in the lift office that you wish to stop there as you walk past at the top. Normally it will stop on all runs down or up if you ask them ie. on the hour, 20 past and 20 to the hour. But not on any of the extra ones. The last funi is now at 8pm each day except on Saturday when it runs until 9pm. Hope that helps
ski holidays
snowcrazy, thanks. That's good enough for me... we always end up in the bar in 1600 arguing what time the last funi is down... as it has varied ove the years, and IIRC was as early as 7pm a few years ago.
snow conditions
Just posted a trip report and a few photo's here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1987028#1987028

Had a great time, punctuated by the occasional plonker, but overall an awesome experience. By comparison, I feckin' hate being back in the UK.
latest report
Today the powder was back!!! Very Happy

After a fast ski across to the La Plagne side of the Paradiski area, we headed up to the top of L'Arpette and off the back. Although the vis was very poor at times, with a bit of careful planning we were able to navigate across the meadows in a white out and drop down onto a face that turned out to have great powder, rather than just a little dusting. What an excellent reward for our efforts. Skullie

Having navigated a rather unstable face, we then headed down through a number of powder fields and into the forest, before arriving at La Roche. A quick lunch in Plagne Centre and back to the top and this time all the way down to Montchavin Les Coches. Toofy Grin

Two long off piste routes with a bit of everything and some tricky navigation. But also some great powder and better vis than we could have hoped for. Smile

The pistes across Les Arcs and La Plagne were in excellent condition after the light snow that had fallen. Tomorrow should be even more fun if the sun does come out! Take a look at the pics of today in the Feb 2012 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter page on facebook. Here is one pic I quite like Toofy Grin .

latest report
Will be reading this thread intently now on as have booked for Plan Peisey with Ski beat in their Chalet Fleur de Neige for 10th March, been wanting to go to Les Arcs for years, added bonus will be able to do La Plagne again as chalet is almost next door to the Vanoise cable car Very Happy
snow report
stevew, Oh that's one of Ski Beats new chalets, & is just behind our apartment - it looks lovely & is in a fantastic position for the lifts, VE & Le Solan. We're at our apartment from 9th for a couple of weeks - although I won't be skiing. We'll try to keep the noise down for OH's birthday celebrations wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy