Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Jon Ford, You manage a whole sentence with adding a number in and then you post again with stupid numbers in. Old people read these posts type proper man Laughing At 9am, a shadow infested Arc 1950/2000 bowl is the coldest place on earth Skullie Skullie

Here you go

http://en.lesarcs.com/piste-opening-times
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry just to add. The logical way most people head out of the bowl towards Peisey etc is via 'Marmotte', then 'Arcabulle'. However Marmotte opens 9am and then Arcabulle does not open till 9.15. Marmotte is short quick lift. Often had the joy of stnading below Arcabulle at 9.05 looking at signs saying it is -10 and over for a good 10 minutes. Not a nice way to start the day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, Although of course, some will go from 1950 via Bois De l'Ours and then blue cruise straight into Peisey. Possibly same elapsed time (apart from Arcabulle Q) but more skiing than uplifting.

Pays yer money...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arctic Roll, Thats the boring route. The run from Transarc to Peisey is a brillant run, worth the wait.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, well, yes, admittedly too much cat track on the 2nd half for a 'real ski', but I guess it depends if you want out of the 2000 ice bowl!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arctic Roll, Just trying to encourage others out wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crikey. Didn't realise planning the skiing would be so difficult. Was just planning to turn left/right out of the apartment and see what happens. We do like nice cruising blues though. Suppose we have a week to find some good tracks. What is the best way to get to la plagne from 1950? Want to go at least once and being far from the main lift we need to plan the route. thefatcontroller, no silly numbers in this post. Razz
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, cheers for that link. Really useful
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jon Ford wrote:
What is the best way to get to la plagne from 1950?

Follow the signs Toofy Grin . Genuine that, Bois de L'Ours or Marmotte and then the signs for the Vanoise. Surprising how many signs there are on both sides keep you on the straight and narrow for the Vanoise.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's an alternative, if that early morning temperature in Les Arcs 2000 is below minus 15c, and especially if the visibility is poor. Glide down the easy piste to 1950. Stroll to the bus stop at the edge of the village. Get on the warm and free navette for 25 minutes to Arcs 1800. Five minute walk past the shops to the piste. One chairlift up. Then an easy ski down, on tree-lined pistes, to Peisey. Once across the valley on the Vanoise Express, there's also some nice treeline skiing to Les Coches and Montchavin. Plenty of time to go higher later in the day if the weather improves.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Less than 10days now, hopefully it will have warmed up a tad. Staying in 1600 and will be celebrating my 40th birthday whilst out there, so thinking ofskiing the aguille rouge on the big day. First real time for my daughetrs on skis so i,m really excited about that and hopefully i,ll get to ski with them later in the week. Any further tips on things to keep a 6 and 7 yr entertained? - toganning etc, would be really welcome. Cheers tony.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
intermediate, The bus trip from Arc 1950 to Arc 1800 is an ok idea on very cold day I agree. BUT your timings are not correct. The bus from Arc 1950 goes to Arc 1600 in about 25 min and from there you must change to another bus that takes another 15 - 20 min to Arc 1800 depending on which area you wish to get too. You could just go as far as Arc 1600 and go up the lifts to start skiing down to Arc 1800. takes about the same time as the bus to do that for an average skier. Hope that helps.

It is very cold right now. minus 18 at times today. Crying or Very sad But we still had fun. Todays report coming later. Time to eat. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowcrazy - yes, you're right. The bus trip takes longer than I recalled. I much prefer to ski anyway...but sometimes a bus ride is worth it to avoid early morning frostbite. Glad you're having fun and the snow conditions must be excellent.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red80, Hi Tony and welcome Very Happy

Arc 1600 is quite quiet, but there is a kids area where they have some activities. You need to check the tourist office in the dome in Arc 1600 when you arrive to see what they offer for little ones.

The official toboggan run is in Arc 2000 bowl, but you can play around the beginner area after the pistes are closed most days with the kids in Arc 1600 without any problem. The ESF in Arc 1600 also have a kids area with some snow things for them to play on I think. Hope that helps. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking out of the bedroom window of the apartment, it looks like it will be another cold day with sunny spells and a good mix of perfect pistes and heavy powder Toofy Grin

Hoping the air bag will be available today and maybe a run down the toboggan run wink so far a mixed week that's just getting better Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Cheers for ideas over to la plagne. Will scope it out over first few days. steven0123, is the air bag not open every day?
snow conditions
Yesterday was another day when you could not help but find good untracked powder. After a nightmare getting across the VE we made it to La Plagne and over to Champagny for lunch and back to Nancroix then into Les Arcs and home. The off pisted was really fun everywhere we went and the pistes in La Plagne were in excellent condition.

Today was another great powder day. Managed 7 long off piste runs today in the Les Arcs domain and still had time for lunch. The pistes today were just a way of getting from one off piste area to another, but all were still in excellent condition and the vis was much better today. The off piste is holding up really well due to the low temps and should last for a few more days. You can still find plenty of untracked snow if you head to the right place.

I will post pics of yesterday and today later on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page in the new Feb 2012 Album. Enjoy!
snow conditions
Jon Ford wrote:
Cheers for ideas over to la plagne. Will scope it out over first few days. steven0123, is the air bag not open every day?

Not sure, would imagine that it depends on the conditions. Still haven't been on it Sad
ski holidays
Have to say, its darn cold here at the moment!!
snow report
Couple of questions before we leave (now v excited!). What is the best run for cruising blues. Where are the best views for photos. Where abouts is the jump park. Sorry to ask, just don't want to waste time looking.snowcrazy, are there any easy off piste runs. Want some video footage of snow flying everywhere but don't want go break neck on sheer drops. Thanks
snow report
Jon Ford, Loads of cruisey blues, snow park is between 1600 & 1800 above Altiport resto, & everywhere is fantastic for photos at the moment - top of Ag ROuge would be amaxing, and ifyou don't want to ski down from there, take the lift back down. enjoy it & wrap up very warm - currently -13 on my balcony at 1650m
ski holidays
Cheers genepi, Quite happy to ski the Aug Rouge...providing its a red and not a black. Only done one black before and that was by mistake...wasnt a big fan!My wife has just been speaking to someone who returned from Tignes. They had to be airlifted off the slopes and even though the had insurance and an E111 card, they still had to pay 250euros for the helicopter. Their rep told them that if they had a certain card, they would not have had to pay this. They say you buy the cards from the lift guys or poss through your rep. Its called something like Cord Blood and costs about £7. Anyone know anything about this and is it worth getting, or is it just a con? thanks
ski holidays
Jon Ford, Carre Neige. Ask for it when you buy your lift pass.
ski holidays
cheers thefatcontroller,
snow conditions
Is the Carre Neige different to my Axa insurance? ie, I have winter cover etc with Axa - do I need Carre Neige? Sorry about the Q's
ski holidays
Out again in first week of March and looking for some small and easy bumps to try! We stayed at Plan Peisey 7 - 14th January. First time in the area and loved it, explored Les Arcs and had one day in La Plagne. OH and me both confident on most groomed reds and sometimes play around at the side of blue and red pistes (loved the gun barrel off Plagnettes - especially as we managed to ski it several times without falling which gave us a big high!), but would like to challenge ourselves a bit more, but not as much as the start of Tuffes which looked very challenging. Staying in Arc 2000 this time. Look forward to reading any suggestions.
latest report
Hello snowheads, odd request, my apartment has. Even double booked tonight, have a room for two out of three of us tonight but are one bed short and hotel will not allow 3 in a double. Has any one got a sofa to crash on for one night? Fully house trained and will buy some beers.
snow conditions
Sorry in les arcs obviously.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jon Ford, " need"? don't know. "Want?": yes.

Your lift pass will be stamped with it, and the piste patrol will get you off the mountain with no questions asked.

Removes the stress of trying to use your bestest French when in pain explaining that yes, you've paid a UK insurance company, and that the pistey / medical centre need have no fear, he will get his cash in the fullness of time...

Of course, after that...Axa and E111 to the rescue.
snow report
lightningdan, When & where?
snow report
lightningdan wrote:
.....hotel will not allow 3 in a double...........

Why tell them. Go sign in as a 2, then go to room, one pops back out to car with key and brings other in. Very easy, ok if fire then not registered etc, etc.. However I have seen some films based in hotel rooms where there were way more than 3 people in the room, let alone the bed Toofy Grin Embarassed
ski holidays
Jon Ford, I had winter cover with axa and had an accident with a dislocated shoulder on the mount blanc piste. The piste patrol revovered me with no questions asked, then the medical centre in Arc 1600 treated me with no questions asked. The medical centre presented me with a bill and I returned the next day and paid; at the same time I called into the piste securtiy office and paid for my rescue. I sent the bills off to Axa with the claim form expecting to be reimbursed. First of all they converted the euro expenses into pounds using their own exchange rate, effectively cheating me out of £50 then they deducted my excess. When I complained and asked for the cheque to be made out exactly in euros they ignored my letters. Needless to say I am no longer insured with them.

I have friends who do not take out UK travel insurance but rely on carre neige for accidents on the hill (they will repatriate you to the UK if necessary) and the european health insurance card.

Since my household insurance covers my property wherever I am I worry that if something gets lost or stolen the insurance companies will simply go into lock down mode and say that the other comapny should pay. For this reason I have this feature removed from my travel insurance policy.
snow report
All sorted thanks, hotel club golf had a triple.

Beer o'clock in the mountain bar 1800

genepi, Thanks for asking, really appreciate it.
ski holidays
jac@pandy, Hard to reccomend what may be a good bump run without actually being there. They may be much bigger than usuual or the piste bashers may have sneaked in during the night and ruined our fun.

To find some nice practice bumps sneak in after the tricky start to tuffs ( or just fall down it) where the rest of the run, particularly to the right of the piste has nice gentle bumps, as does the bottom of the cachette. I find refuge off the grand col and roulles towards 1600 are often middling bump runs and worth a look if you fancy putting blacks under your belt.
snow conditions
johnE, thanks for the suggestions. We've not made it to cachette yet so will definitely check that out and also take another look around tuffes. Had chance for a good long look at refuge on the chair lift up to the grand col and thought it looked a bit scarey! A lot of the black runs at Les Arcs seem to be long and mogully which is a bit offputting for a newcomer to bumps. Is roulles bumpy all the way or just part of it?
snow report
thanks Arctic Roll, and johnE. think we will take it out when we get there. for the sake of £10ish each, its worth the peace of mind. All packed now and going to airport hotel in 2hours! Be up in 12hrs to catch that flight.
To all going this week, have a great time and may see you out there. Look out the guy all in black and wife with pink salopettes! I'll be the one filming everything too!!
snow conditions
Jon Ford, Its still snowing!
snow conditions
Wooohoo Flying out tomorrow genuinely cannot wait! Just finishing my packing now then turning in.

See you on the slopes! by the way if anyone sees a 6ft bloke tumbling down the hill in a lime green ski jacket, feel free to say hi or catch me Laughing Laughing

have a good one Jon Ford,
latest report
Russeh, Have a great time. It was great when I was there two weeks ago
snow report
chrisb wrote:
Russeh, Have a great time. It was great when I was there two weeks ago

Thanks chrisb Very Happy this will be our first ski trip, i hope its a good one and not the crazy cold that was predicted a week ago (30 below brrr!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy