Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changes to SCGB Reps' Off-Piste Rules

Poster: A snowHead
Aurial, Welcome.

You mention insurance a couple of times there. Makes no difference to the victim(s) of course. If there was no such thing as liability insurance, organisations like SCGB would be a whole lot less lax about how they manage their whole operation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, sweetheart, would you operate your business without liability insurance? Shocked You must have had an atack of the vapours (did the Saab just pass by?) Without liability insurance I doubt if any organization would operate.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, you miss my point. Aurial seems more concerned about being insured should tragedy strike than avoiding the tragedy in the first place. Insurance is only there to eleviate the financial pain of an unforseen event (accident); it cannot replace lost lives. SCGB should be concentrating on how they avoid the same happening again and if, hypothetically, there was no such thing as liability insurance, they'd certainly be concentrating a bit harder on all aspects of their operation than they appear to be doing right now.

Mmmmmmmmm Saaaaabo!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, ah. I didn't realise you had inside knowledge of what the SCGB has done and is doing to to avoid a reccurence of the accident.

Soft, 'tis late. We must stop seeing each other like this. People will talk. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, All I know is the contents of the last 26 pages... some of it posted by reps. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm not driving all the way to Lincolnshire now. You can forget it. It's your turn anyway. Night.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, Bode Swiller, Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The recent death of a local 12 year old child caught in an avalanche while skiing with his parents in Klosters/Parsenn should be of interest.

The parents were locals and presumably had some incling of the mountain and its risks (avalanche danger level 3 at the time). They skied off piste across a short traverse from the top of the lift (and very close to the piste). This would have have almost certainly been an "OK" zone under the ski club rules. From the attached link you will see that the avalanche actually comes down on to the piste.

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/ich-waere-auch-in-den-hang-gefahren-80692

FWIW, I've skied in that area many times.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Levitt wrote:
.... This would have have almost certainly been an "OK" zone under the ski club rules. .......

How can you say that? Do you have guidance notes issued to the Klosters rep? I have seen nowhere in the SCGB bumpf that it's always fine to ski off-piste close to pistes. What that poor family has suffered is bad enough without you trying to score an unsubstantiated point from it. Shocked

[edit] On reflection I think you may not be trying to score a point - and I withdraw that. But your inference from the letter to punters that any area close to the pistes will be fine is wrong - and I have never been with a rep who behaved as if it were. On the contrary, I have been with a rep who warned us that an area close to the piste would be prone to avalanche. Next time we were up the lift, a slab from the area had slipped away.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 23-01-08 10:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Levitt, I can't imagine how those parents must feel right now. (Insurance can't take that pain away!)

You're right, that looks like it would be OK if "The policy for the terrain where reps and leaders can now ski off-piste states that off-piste skiing will generally be closer to the piste and only involve a short ski to return to the marked runs" is in fact the advice given to reps.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
Levitt, I can't imagine how those parents must feel right now. (Insurance can't take that pain away!)

You're right, that looks like it would be OK if "The policy for the terrain where reps and leaders can now ski off-piste states that off-piste skiing will generally be closer to the piste and only involve a short ski to return to the marked runs" is in fact the advice given to reps.

Tut tut. I thought you might have calmed your beating heart in the morning. The advice given to punters is that the areas they will be skiing will involve but a short return to the pistes. it does not go on to say that any such area will be fine. I believe your local authority will have details of English comprehension classes. With luck the tutors will draw out the point about not extrapolating inferences too far from given facts. You should enrol.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, all this illustrates a point perfectly... the Club's guidelines are so flaky that nobody understands them, least of all some reps (I refer Your Royal Gnomeness to the last 26 pages).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, I may be wrong but I doubt it says anywhere in the guidelines that if you are skiing close to the piste you can take leave of all your senses
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

looks like it would be OK if "The policy for the terrain where reps and leaders can now ski off-piste states that off-piste skiing will generally be closer to the piste and only involve a short ski to return to the marked runs" is in fact the advice given to reps

Hang on, I agree with you that that the guidance is woolly but closeness to the piste isn't the ONLY criterion that the reps have to take into account. It wouldn't have been OK for other reasons in this instance, as was pretty much visible to the naked eye - extremely steep at the point at which the avi was set off. Apparently many people had skied there before, it's a well-known route, but were, over the course of a day or two, moving further and further over to a less safe pitch to find fresh tracks. I heard that the boy was not wearing a transceiver and that it took a very long time to find him. It was scary to see the avalanche spread over the piste...

FWIW, I skied off-piste with the Klosters rep last week and felt perfectly safe. He declined to take us on the Madrisa itineraries.

[I now see that I've effectively repeated achilles's point and, because I've taken so long about it, Arno's as well. Sorry.]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, Hurtle, the quote I used is taken from the opening post on this whole thread. Evidently from a letter that went to reps.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I agree with you that that the guidance is woolly

Hurtle, going over old ground here but that's surely the point. An organisation like SCGB can't afford to be woolly about life & death issues.
snow report
Bode Swiller, Absolutely. I'm not condoning the wording of the guidance and indeed, if I were a rep, I'd be nervous about going off-piste with the punters at all at the moment! But, like achilles and Arno, I thought you'd drawn too much of an inference in this case.
ski holidays
Thank you for that, Levitt. What this says to me is that skiing is not a risk-free sport. If you want it to be, then DON'T GO SKIING (although the SCGB could still be for you, as it is for DG Wink ). Assess the risk, and your own ability, and ski appropriately. My German is getting pretty rusty, but I think that that article says that the parents were local country people (father a hunter) and the son was one of the best skiers in the local club - so far from clueless idiots. That slope does look fairly steep, but every slope like that in every resort will be covered in tracks - and I would imagine very few of those tracks will be guides or SCGB reps. People ski these slopes - so get used to it.

I see no reason why that slope should be outside the SCGB rules, but I would doubt that many groups would do it (typical groups I've been with would contain skiiers that would probably not be safe on slopes like that). Accidents happen, and avalanche predicition is not a precise science. If you never skied any avalanche-prone slope you'd never ski anything remotely interesting - a point Nigel Shepherd makes during his avalanche talks - and every time you ski you have to make a safety assessment (on piste as much as off - although your on-piste criteria may be different from your off-). Due to it's aspect though I would have taken a substantial degree of care in traversing it - probably 40+m separation between individuals in any group.

Bode Swiller, achilles, all good fun, but not very edifying. "Get a room" - would MK be a halfway point?.
snow report
So........... Can the SCGB take people off piste? Does this refer to "true" off piste in the back bowls that require a hike or is the ungroomed area between the pistes!

No slagging please, just a simple answer to a simple question! Or is that the problem, the SCGB can not define what is "off piste"!
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, Yes they can take people off-piste. 'Off-piste' is fairly easy to define (see references to pregnancy, passim) and includes ungroomed areas between pistes. The problem is that of defining SAFE off-piste areas: the recent guidance offered on this aspect - which is not, however, intended to be the whole story on safety guidance - is vague. Does this sum up the last 25 pages or so?
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, come off it - the letter seems pretty clear that this is an *additional* safety measure. it isn't saying that they will abandon all other safety measures
snow conditions
Arno, without going back over all the posts, I'm just making the point that most people (including reps) seem to be confused or uncertain as to what the reps can/cannot now do. SCGB need to sort that out surely.

In normal everyday life, when things go tragically wrong, the typical response from those responsible is to communicate clearly to all concerned (a) what happened (b) how it's being handled (c) what lessons have been learned (d) what's being done to make sure it never happens again. This whole thing is shrouded in secrecy and dribs and drabs are slowly emerging on forums like this. Not the way to do it is it? I'm embarrassed for them. A leadership issue.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I don't disagree with any of that, save to say that the secrecy element is probably, at least in part, outwith their control.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I agree that it is somewhat confusing, although I don't think the content of the letter has made much difference to that. I think (and this has been said before) it probably stems from the SCGB's status more generally - it's not clear whether it's a commercial organisation or a members' club or whether its one in some circumstances and the other in other circumstances and if so which circumstances...

on your second point, i'm not sure that's true in the world of insurance and litigation unfortunately. you're not supposed to admit liability if you bump your car into someone else (even if it is patently obvious) and the same principle seems to be applying here
ski holidays
Arno,
Quote:

on your second point, i'm not sure that's true in the world of insurance and litigation unfortunately. you're not supposed to admit liability if you bump your car into someone else (even if it is patently obvious) and the same principle seems to be applying here

Quite so. (I think this was covered somewhere in the first 25 pages! wink )
ski holidays
Arno, an example of what I'm saying would be last week's BA crash landing. Nobody died but a few were injured enough to need hospitalisation. The injured and the mentally scarred have years in which to launch a claim for damages (and there are bound to be some). None of that stopped the BA disaster plan coming into play... they told the world as much as they knew and we all feel like we're in the picture and able to see that BA are fully in control of the situation, doing everything they can. Result = we have respect for them, we'll keep flying, their image remains high. Imagine if they'd said "Oh well, nobody died, we have other planes and all pilots are being told to aim a little bit further down the runway just in case!"
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, youare a very naught y little boy. You are well aware that the SCGB will have been constrained by its insurance company as to what it can say. You are also well aware that a corporate giant such as BA will be more able to negotiate with its insurance company as to what it can release to the public to maintain good PR. If I did not know you as a gentle child of such a normally sweet disposition, I could have been trapped into the impression that you had malice for the SCGB. I am so glad that is not the case, but do behave.
snow report
Swiller, you've inspired me. The World's Favourite Ski Club will commence operations next winter: British Hoorays
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,

It's only a matter of time before BA annouces that it's planes will only fly "by the side of the runway". Wink

Well I never, all those people on the committee but the insurance company calls the shots.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, haven't BA just proved to us that there's no such thing as "a little bit off-piste"... Little Angel
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Bode Swiller,

Well I never, all those people on the committee but the insurance company calls the shots.

When it is an incident likely to result in an insurance claim, the insurance company generally do call the shots.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
.......Well I never, all those people on the committee but the insurance company calls the shots.

Can you tell me of a small organization where it does not? If you can, you've also described a small organization with inadequate cover.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-01-08 14:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
achilles, there may well be a limit to what SCGB can say (we don't know, actually) but they should be demonstrating strong leadership in the face of a crisis... or we wouldn't still be in the dark and 26 pages on. By now we should be discussing how well they'd handled the situation and what great improvements they'd made to their safety standards etc etc. But no, they prefer rumour mill mayhem.

Accusing me of malice in your eccentric roundabout way cuts no ice. I have a growing lack of respect from them tho'. GB deserves a better national ski club.
snow report
Bode Swiller, Dear gentle chap (you know I love with you really - but you can be so misguided Little Angel ). I am not clear why the SCGB leadership in this matter has been seriously adrift. From what I can gather, it has been in contact with the unfortunate victim's family. It has not left its rep in the lurch. What it also has not done is offer information which you would like - but that does not mean it should have. It was pretty obvious form the start that this would be so. You seem miffed that 26 pages of a snowheads thread cannot dig out a change in their position. But I am sure you will cope if you receive proper counselling - just make sure your counsellor is trained. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
achilles, I don't do "miffed". But I can read and I see what I see (like most others do). Fully understand your defensive stance for your precious ski club. You are a great advert for them wink
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, why, thank you! I just knew we could be friends again. Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
Bode Swiller, if you read on fora some of the aviation professionals feelings about how the BA accident has been handled, you might see that there is a widespread feeling that BA have by no means told us all they know!

For instance - modern flight management systems are able to give in real time, and by rapid download later, the approach profiles for their planes. This kit did work on the BA plane, and is separate from the voice and data recorders. No one is saying yet what they showed. For instance a commercial pilot mate of mine who is well placed to understand a lot of airline regulatory stuff told me that if anyone flies an "Unstabilised" or unothodox approach, this data is immediately available, and the pilots can expect a very rapid call for tea and bickies to discuss it at head office.

BA have this info and a lot more, and it has not (rightly IMHO) been put in the public domain. Pilots have been put before the press as heroes (which they probably are), before the AAIB have concluded there is no pilot error.

My point is that I think this is about BAs PR disater plan - ie choose BA and be flown by heroes - rather than a full open sharing of the information at their disposal. Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 23-01-08 16:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I have wondered about the BA press release - but didn't want to get diverted here when I replied earlier. I think there is a high chance that the accident was not caused by pilot error - and something like a sensor fault or software bug was to blame (of course such faults could be the result of maintenance error rather or a manufacturer's fault, but we have no way of knowing at the moment). But on the other hand, I was surprised that pilot error was implicitly ruled out so quickly by BA. We digress - but perhaps it is about time in this thread.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, I can't argue with that but, if you took a poll among their normal customers, it would probably be perceived that they did the right things at the right time and in a professional manner.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, exactly! that's modern media relations for you... and given that the Daily Mail hasn't published a "Ski Club Shame" article in the last year or two (and yes I do remember that article from before...) perhaps the SCGB is also managing the media reasonably well?
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, have to say I'm amazed nothing got reported in the UK press at the time. As we all see on here the press pick up on most fatal ski accidents involving Brits. Good media relations can't stop the press reporting events however, so I suspect the incident just slipped under the radar. The real test will probably be when the unfortunate rep stands trial.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy