Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
nozawaonsen, as a newbie to all of this, I must say it's fascinating hearing your updates, thoughts etc....please keep them coming, I'm learning lots and enjoying!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm off to Kitzbuhel at the end of the month, so would love a couple of cold snowy days, followed by some nice warm sunny days to enjoy any new snow Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's looking promising for the 1st week in April. Several consecutive runs are showing Snow/Rain

I just hope the temperatures drop a little and bring the freezing level down a touch.

Nothing worse than skiing in the rain Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hedley wrote:
Nothing worse than skiing in the rain Evil or Very Mad
working in an office.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 12Z squiggly is still looking optimistic of lots of 'precipitation' for the first week of April. With high temperatures also expected what are the odds that this will fall as snow in Les Menuires and Val Thorens? I'm keeping fingers firmly crossed.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chriswg wrote:
The 12Z squiggly is still looking optimistic of lots of 'precipitation' for the first week of April. With high temperatures also expected what are the odds that this will fall as snow in Les Menuires and Val Thorens? I'm keeping fingers firmly crossed.

Surely that's two very separate and different questions!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ECM and GFS remain at loggerheads this evening.

Here's ECM 12z at +192, Saturday 31 March.

Here's GFS 12z at +192, Saturday 31 March.

ECM has high pressure much further to the west allowing the low pressure and cold weather to push south towards the Alps. GFS is more stubborn about high pressure.

So...

Uncertainty...

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen, I bet it's really annoying that people ask you constant questions,but..... if it's not too much hassle!!

Am I right to think that the chances of snow between now and next Friday is pretty much minimal for the 3V? Just better to know than be torturing myself checking twice daily! Quite happy to 'resign' myself to a week of piste cruising and cold beer in hot sun on terraces!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiG, I think you're pretty much spot on. Warm, sunny, spring snow. Hit it at the right time it'll be terrific. Great weather for lazing on the terrace in the afternoon. Get some good shades so you can check out everyone else on the terrace without being too obvious. Remember west facing terrace for the afternoon, east facing in the morning. Be sure the wine or beer is chilled.

The prospects for the week after are less clear, but certainly include potential for colder weather, as well as a continuation of milder weather.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ECM continues to want to push down colder weather on 01 April.

ECM 00z +192

Less so than yesterday evening, bit still considerably more so than GFS.

GFS has another plan.

Which turns out to be... a rather similar one to ECM (high pressure to the north west, low pressure pushing down from the north). Just six days later.

GFS 06z +336

So frankly still not much clearer, other than the siege of the fortress of high pressure over Europe looks like continuing. Whether and when it will make a breakthrough remains unclear.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a little reminder that from tomorrow the different model runs will all be z+1 or an hour later as the clocks spring forward...

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I especially like the control run from the 12Z GFS ensemble. This plot is at the lat/long for Lech in the Arlberg where I'll be 2 weeks tomorrow. Wishful thinking I know but have been based at St Anton & Ischgl for a couple of Easter weeks in the last 4 years and it's fair dumped with snow each time so being the snow magnet that I am Little Angel , I wouldn't expect anything else. Toofy Grin

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moffatross, I'm there (in Stuben) from 8th April. Also watching with interest!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some crazy all time records falling in the eastern US.

Weather Underground Extremes

ECM continues to see cooler temperatures heading towards the Alps from the start of April.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, Me also,St Christoph from the 7th Very Happy Like moffatross,my Easter snow record is also excellent,and sitting in the sun is where its at.Up early for a bit of skating,hit the soft stuff around lunch time,then give the legs a pounding in the afternoon slush Toofy Grin Spring skiing,nothing if not varied wink
snow conditions
snowskisnow, moffatross, I've put some webcams & forecasts all on one page

http://gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=stuben
ski holidays
GFS this afternoon has fairly good agreement between the control and operational runs in some colder weather from 31 March for a couple of days. Quite possibly (at least on this evening's output) accompanied by some fresh snow on 31 March/01 April.

Beyond that and into FI there are suggestions of further rain/snow on 06/07 April, with temperatures possibly dropping especially in the eastern Alps, but inevitably a lot of uncertainty at that range.
snow report
kitenski, nice one. Cool You must be as excited as I am. As nozawaonsen said, plenty good signs still. Little Angel
ski holidays
How's about 80-100 cm of fantasy island snow in the Arlberg for Easter weekend Madeye-Smiley ...

snow report
The very broad pattern this morning is for sunny, spring weather to continue through to the weekendin the Alps, before a push from the north will bring colder temperatures than we've seen in a while. It looks more like a brush than a direct hit. So nothing extreme and at present a possibility of some light snow showers.

Beyond that a rise of temperatures middle of next week before a fairly consistent suggestion (certainly in the last couple of GFS runs and cropping up in a few before then) of a possibility of cooler and snowier temperatures as we approach Easter. Obviously at that range confidence is low.
snow report
It looks like any hopes of a snowy first week of April in the 3 Valleys seems to have dwindled with the 06Z's. All that lovely cold weather is being herded too far East to be any use (to my very untrained eye).
snow report
Ah. The pub run. All FI. But hey. wink
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
Beyond that a rise of temperatures middle of next week before a fairly consistent suggestion (certainly in the last couple of GFS runs and cropping up in a few before then) of a possibility of cooler and snowier temperatures as we approach Easter. Obviously at that range confidence is low.

from my untrained eye this cold run going into Easter seems to have been around on both ECM and GFS fairly consistantly now, or am I reading too much into it??? Obviously the details will thrash out over the next week......
ski holidays
To quote this morning's tyrol avi report

"Short Term Development:
Nearly perfect conditions continue"

Looks like high pressure edging westwards towards weekend allowing some cooler air down from the N/NW. I'm running out of time for this season, need some powder within the next 2 weeks, so fingers crossed.
ski holidays
chriswg, I think there may be some light snow Sunday/Monday, but unsure at present.

kitenski, ECM has only just got out to Easter Friday. GFS has been hinting at something colder around easter for a while. The 00z and last night's 18z operational runs both looked cold over easter and carried potential for snow at some point over the easter period. But with it still being 10 days away there is a lot that could change.

waynos, best chance at present looks to be around Easter, but far from certain.
snow report
FL looks a bit high for mon/ tues

Rain below 2000m me thinks Sad

Please let that easterly cold push in a bit sooner.
snow report
Thanks nozawaonsen. Did that chance just get a little more likely with the latest charts?
snow report
Yes, but it's blinking in and out and temperatures are shifting up and down. Still to be decided.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen, How is March shaping up in terms of low precipitation? Nov broke the records in Austria, March can't be that far behind. Been a few rainfall / snow events but not much. Season so far, dry start, decent middle, poor show since mid Feb (in terms of powder, great spring skiing though). Still a decent base above around 1200m, so just needs powder on top to give great conditions.
snow conditions
waynos, yes it's certainly been pretty dry if you take February and March together.

Here's Zell am See for the last 30 days.

Zell am See 30 days precipitation anomaly

Although the last 90 days shows a different narrative.

Zell am See 90 days precipitation anomaly

Mind you it's striking that even with the January snow the overall picture ends up below average, at least for 2012 (December 2011 would I suspect still put the position overall in credit).

Temperatures do look falling from this weekend, at least closer to average if not below. ECM generally has next week cooler than GFS which wants to introduce milder temperatures as the week goes on. Further out into GFS and various runs today have peppered FI Easter with colder output today. But although there seems to be a trend for a colder and snowier Easter we won't really get a sense for whether this plays out and if it does, the detail, for a few days yet.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 28-03-12 0:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Some excellent snowfall in parts of the US in March (even as other parts wilt away).

March storms pile up to 9 feet of new snow onto Cascades

But overall.

U.S. has fourth warmest winter on record; West & Southeast drier than average
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Some excellent snowfall in parts of the US in March (even as other parts wilt away).

March storms pile up to 9 feet of new snow onto Cascades

Good read, maybe the EU should do something useful for once and introduce a euro-la-nina.

Wetter.at forecast looking quite positive for this region, (Schladming, Austria, The Eastern Alps) with cooling temps, light snow in next few days and maybe more snow round 4th.
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/hauser-kaibling/prognose/9-tage
The local wigglies seem to correspond
snow conditions
Good ol' GFS 'pub run' eh Laughing ... Fingers crossed that its Easter snowfest comes to fruition.
ski holidays
moffatross, yup. That was a corker! wink
ski holidays
Yep, there's a definite theme developing nozawaonsen Toofy Grin ...

.... in the Arlberg Easter wigglies Cool

snow report
It's gonna snow in the UK apparently according to that well know forecasting source the DM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2121521/UK-weather-Britons-bask-glorious-weather--SNOW-coming-Easter.html

nozawaonsen, Why don't your forecast updates include photos of lots of bikini clad ladies?
snow report
Looks like the very mild spring like weather may soon be taking a rest for a while as high pressure comes under attack.

Here's WRF showing light snow in Austria early tomorrow.

30 March 0600

And again on Sunday morning.

01 April 0300

And both GFS and ECM showing colder weather at times next week and raising the possibility of more unsettled (snowy?) weather as we approach easter.

And here's a picture for waynos.

snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
both GFS and ECM showing colder weather at times next week and raising the possibility of more unsettled (snowy?) weather as we approach easter.

How much confidence in this? It seems to have been around on the runs for some time hasn't it???
ski holidays
Now i'm getting excited as were off to Cham next thursday...Fingers crossed Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
How is the outlook for Scotland next week?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy