Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
sad snowman Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is such a quality thread, i have taken great delight in reading this during my working day, even more so as i am off to Verbier on sunday Hooha Very Happy Thanks to you all for keeping my so informed Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure the wigglies aren't as difficult or complicated as people seem to find them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica wrote:
Red Leon, Shocked

The chart is still suggesting a cold snap but it's much less dramatic than it was when I posted the link - fortunately. When I posted, the thick blue line (technical term) went down to -20 on about Feb 1st and stayed there for the remainider of the forecast period. It now looks like it'll be a balmy -10 instead Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slight apology as to be honest I'm a little distracted at the moment by being on holiday.

Anyway the broad pattern continues. On the latest output snow this Saturday looks a little more focussed to the western Alps, but time for that to chop and change. And further snow in the southern Alps at the end of the month.

Beyond next week it continues to look potentially very cold and relatively snowy.

(slightly baffled by the comment about the Met Office sitting on the fence? That's the whole point. It's very uncertain).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

And further snow in the southern Alps at the end of the month.

OHHHH YEAH!!!

Bring on the white fluffy stuff!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
See the wiggles broken again, sending me cold turkey. However, can someone remind me what altitude (as a general rule) 850hpa represents?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very roughly 1500m asl.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not by any means the be all and end all, but the 12z GFS has upped snowfall in the French Alps and Italian border quite a bit for Saturday. And dropped temperatures aggressively, particularly in the eastern Alps from early February.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen, about 20 cms over two days or more..........
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Local forecasts here are suggesting minimum temperatures in Southern Germany and the Tirol next week in the -20's.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
downhillalltheway wrote:
Local forecasts here are suggesting minimum temperatures in Southern Germany and the Tirol next week in the -20's.

Brass monkeys should not go off piste without a metal detector
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Continues to look like most of the snow over the weekend will be in the west of the Alps. next week cold and dry, before becoming very cold and dry.

(UK currently looks too far west to get real cold).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well I can see a dusting of snow on the hills to the East of Manchester from my office window. It was fairly cool this morning and has been p!ssing it down here.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski wrote:
What kind of dates are looking snowy for the UK?? Need a trip to the Pennines Smile
28 Jan - 8 Feb. Will be the best snow the Pennines have ever seen.

This could be very prophetic Rob, it's currently snowing here in Leeds and some ok coverage already on the Pennine webcams....
ski holidays
By cold in the UK I was meaning deep countrywide cold with potential for widespread snow in about a week or two. Not whether it might be a bit snowy on the hills and chilly today.

This evening that looks like a stronger possibility than this morning...
ski holidays
Across in the lake District it dumped it down all day today dropping another 4 inches on what was already a reasonable cover, though still a bit thin at the top. Seven of us skiied heavy powder in poor viz with some huge falls !

Tomorrow could be awesome !
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
By cold in the UK I was meaning deep countrywide cold with potential for widespread snow in about a week or two. Not whether it might be a bit snowy on the hills and chilly today.

And what? I could still see snow from my office and it was still chilly today. Not sure how my comment on current conditions has anything to do with your forecast?
snow conditions
Increasingly cold charts coming up across Europe from the middle to end of next week.

Here's next Friday morning on the 18z GFS operational.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/7924/gfs-2012012718-1-156_eyu3.png

Very cold across the Alps and indeed the UK.
latest report
Is this a "very cold".........and dry or could there be snow in them there hills?
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, whats the confidence like on these current forecasts for very cold?
latest report
Russeh, something inbetween very and not very confident.
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
Russeh, something inbetween very and not very confident.

Laughing so your guess is as good as mine then
snow report
RetroBod, currently very cold and dry in much of the Alps from mid week is looking most likely (could there be snow in the hills? yes there could, but in general it is more likely to be dry). That said there is however an increasing possibility of some snow in the southern Alps in a week or so.

GFS 18z +192 (you can clearly see the high pressure over Scandinavia and low pressure to the south of the Alps).

Confidence in a period of very cold weather in the Alps is high (it has been shown in run after run across models) in the UK is currently slightly less (although most of the last few runs have shown cold it has gone back and firth over the last few days) so despite current modelling it could still easily shift, with deep cold weather later next week remaining further east, but as the output continues to build consistency so will confidence.
snow report
10 to 20cm of snow looks likely for the western Alps today. A similar band of snow pushing through next Tuesday.

After that temperatures look set to fall sharply and the first week of February looks very cold and by and large dry. There are some suggestions that this pattern could shift a little from 07 February.

This morning's output continues to suggest the UK may also see some deep cold from the middle of next week.
latest report
bobmcstuff wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

And what? I could still see snow from my office and it was still chilly today. Not sure how my comment on current conditions has anything to do with your forecast?

I think its clear to the other 1 million posters that nozawaonsen was talking about next week. The phrases that gave this away were in his post.

nozawaonsen wrote:
Continues to look like most of the snow over the weekend will be in the west of the Alps. next week cold and dry, before becoming very cold and dry.

Doesnt really suggest he was talking about what was happening at that moment does it ?
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
10 to 20cm of snow looks likely for the western Alps today. A similar band of snow pushing through next Tuesday.

After that temperatures look set to fall sharply and the first week of February looks very cold and by and large dry. There are some suggestions that this pattern could shift a little from 07 February.

This morning's output continues to suggest the UK may also see some deep cold from the middle of next week.

The first snow in almost 3 weeks fell yesterday in the Central Pyrenees, Peyragudes has reported 10cm this morning which though not much was very much needed. All of the models are showing very cold weather over the next 7 or so days, with temperatures including wind chill being almost -30 at the top of the station. I think this is over stated personally however either way it is going to be cold.

More snow tomorrow and early into next week then clear blue skies and very very cold indeed. All of this makes for a happy man Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sat in the holiday cottage near Barmouth Wales. Looking up at Cader Idris there is a dusting of snow on the summit and no wind, not a cloud in the sky. Shame I've twinged my knee and can't get up there, would be some amazing views today!
latest report
Smokin Joe wrote:
bobmcstuff wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

I think its clear to the other 1 million posters that nozawaonsen was talking about next week. The phrases that gave this away were in his post.

nozawaonsen wrote:

Doesnt really suggest he was talking about what was happening at that moment does it ?

Yes I knew that? So what? It was also pretty obvious to me that he was giving a forecast given that's what he does on here...

All I did was comment that I could see snow from my window. Fairly unrelated.
snow report
Hmmm.

Dry and cold looks like it will be upon us soon enough!

(and the outlook for the UK from the middle of next week continues to look very cold too).
snow report
Meteo France and everyone else forecast snow today, but in fact after a couple of inches overnight there's been none all day till just now - we even had a couple of hours quite sunny this morning, though the mist soon rolled in and killed the visibility. Very thin cloud - didn't look remotely like snowing till around 5 pm.
ski holidays
whats he on
ski holidays
or not, maybe
snow conditions
jeremyd,

Probably alcohol.... can induce truculence

Hope he recovers soon
ski holidays
Anyone reading the runes of FI?
snow conditions
The next few days look cold...

And by mid week could be a whole lot colder again.

The pattern change for the end of January, start of February is looking pretty set now. And looks like producing cold temperatures and snow on the southern side of the Alps (particularly for example the Alpes Maritimes like Isola 2000 and parts of Italy like Limone Piemonte both of which have been suffering so far this season) and Pyrenees.

How prolonged and deep the cold spell will be is uncertain, but GFS seems to hint at a shift around 07 February.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, and will that shift bring snow?
snow report
Hells Bells, for where?
latest report
Might be worth reminding people that in some of the overnight temperatures being forecast diesel fuel will be in danger of waxing. If there's a covered parking option - even if expensive - might be worth considering.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy