Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
nozawaonsen wrote:
Really? Anywhere apart from the main road in town?

No, just on the road! I don't think it was all melting.. just looked a bit grey and miserable.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Styria (central state of austria) avi service released another evening update today. Risk 4 in the northern mountains, sounds like wind and warmth causing increased risk. More snow forecast tonight, temps staying a little warm, calmer Monday, then another front approaching Tuesday. So hopefully that translates to some snow tonight in the Ski Amade region.
http://lawine-steiermark.at/index.php?frame=lage
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's how WRF currently sees things.

After some snow overnight in Austria.

Monday 23 January 0000

It looks like clearing up a fair amount tomorrow to a mixture of sun and clouds before on Tuesday snow returns to the eastern Alps in particular.

Tuesday 24 January 0600

Which looks like it could last into the evening for The Night Race in Schladming.

Tuesday 24 January 2100

Possibly snow stretching into Wednesday in Switzerland and the Arlberg.

Wednesday 25 January 1500

Thursday looks pretty clear across the Alps at this point.

Further out GFS 12z continued the theme of bringing in snow across the Alps on Friday and as low pressure builds in the Mediterranean snow into the southern Alps... for a change.

Here are some ensembles.

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Eastern Pyrenees.

Bad Gastein.

Into FI GFS suggests much colder weather, but rather dry. That of course could all change.

10 day temperature [based on 12z GFS]
10 day precipitation [based on 12z GFS]

A lot of uncertainty beyond midweek. 12z ECM just rolling out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite a bit if snow pushing through Switzerland and Austria over next day and a half.

Models now suggesting light snow on Friday in the northern Alps, not developing low pressure through the Mediterranean anymore.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the continuing updates nozawaonsen, what are the temps doing midweek on, is the v cold spell still anticipated?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Report here about weather for the Schladming Night Race
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/steiermark/2929375/kommt-noch-mehr-schnee.story

Up to another 45cm of fresh snow in the area, 20cm in the valleys. Snow easing off Tuesday evening in time for the race.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow forecast for Zermatt showing a bit of consistency, getting colder over this weekend into next week, with a smattering of snow Friday/Saturday.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretty cold overnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning and during Wednesday day in the Eastern Alps. Snow into the central and eastern Alps tonight and tomorrow. Warming at the end of the week as sun comes through, before colder maybe light snow in the northern Alps Friday into Saturday.

Broadly speaking FI looks colder than average and drier than average.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Noza - really enjoy your updates - can you give me any hope for snow in the Pyrennes sometime over the next 3 weeks - going out on the 14th of Feb to the small resort of Ac les Thermes (think that makes it Eastern Pyrennes) and the web cams are showing lots of brown starting to appear..is that Azores high going to continue to block out any chance of snow. Thinking of packing hiking boots instead of skis and wondering why oh why are we not going to the Alpes!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all of the updates, you guys are a lifeline! Any idea what the outlook is for w/c 4th Feb in Meribel? Going back out after a great xmas there.

http://youtube.com/v/0CnljQ2JZEc
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am in Genoa but just had an email from a friend saying it's been snowing hard in Les Saisies since mid-afternoon. Genoa is magnificently Mediterranean today, sunny and mild. No sign of that "Genoa low" for the time being.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GFS FI is suggesting some very cold temperatures from Saturday (if you look at the ensembles above you'll see the control runs are exceptionally cold). These are being driven across Europe from the east. That's good for cold, but not necessarily for snow. In areas where it's snowed heavily so far this season that won't be a problem for pistes. Though clearly some areas would benefit from a bit of fresh. This weekend offers an opportunity for some light snow across the Alps (and the Pyrenees) but a lot of uncertainty about this remains.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nozawaonsen, looking pretty darn chilly for Chamonix next week right? Skullie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get those thermals out............Sauze here we come.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heading out to Cham on Sunday. Those temp's scare me a lot.
ski holidays
Temperatures next week look cold, and below average, but not sure I'd be scared by them? Anyway a couple of bands of snow coming through the northern Alps Friday into Saturday, then Sunday into Monday (10-20cms each round?). The Pyrenees look like they might get some at the end of the month.
snow conditions
Hi Noza

- thanks for including the Pyrennes in your past couple of posts - great that they might be getting some snow - kepping my fingers crossed. My 9 year old is a bit disgusted at the poor snow in the pyrennes and the prospect of mountain walking instead of ski-ing - he announced he was going to buy himself a ticket Smile to Alps - might have to squeeze into his suit case!
latest report
I'm currently in Lenk, in the Berner Oberland, we had about 30cm yesterday and I woke up today expecting a powder day. Instead the temp must have been warm then cold over night as there was a light crust on all the lovely snow. Still good but not the champagne powder I'd hoped for. +1 at 1900m this afternoon.
Interestingly the forecasts can't decide on temps for the next few days, some suggest very cold, others much warmer.
ski holidays
Hi,

I'm supposed to be heading to Isola 2000 on the 4th Feb for a week, but right now the snow is looking little short of disastrous. Can anyone offer me a glimmer of hope? Or is it best to cut my losses and head off somewhere else? have been watching the GFS model runs on meteociel.fr for the past week but I'm not as good as you guys at interpreting weather/pressure patterns! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
snow conditions
Heeeeeeeelp the wiggle website is broken....... Can't get my 6 hourly fix grrrrrr
snow report
Anyone got a new link for the wigglies? Mine has given up - over use perhaps?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png
snow conditions
The Wetterzentrale site is down at the moment ringingmaster. Schade!
snow report
Edit.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 26-01-12 0:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yup it's been down all evening. Guess it will be back tomorrow morning.

The general picture for next week s of high pressure building over Scandinavia bringing cold and dry weather from the east.

That said ahead of that it looks like milder temperatures pushing in over Friday along with some snow on Saturday as temperatures cool (so light rain to light snow at lower altitudes).

Snow also looks like possibly falling in the southern Alps and Pyrenees at the end of January, start of February.

Pushing further into FI some very cold temperatures for the Alps cropping up in the first week of February (possibly cold for the UK too).
latest report
Quick look at this morning's output. Broadly similar to above for next week. The week after (so very uncertain) looks to shift things from cold and by and large dry to very cold and potentially snowier (including possibly for the UK to). ECM is less keen on that this morning. So we'll see.

Looking at the UK here's an update from the Met Office.

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/cold-weather-winning-the-war-of-probabilities/
snow report
nozawaonsen, Hope it's not to cold for the week of 4th feb as I'm in the 3V. A fresh top up of snow would be good though!
latest report
me too, i am in La Plagne from the 4th !

nozawaonsen, thanks this is a top thread, i will be tuning in regularly to catch all the updates
ski holidays
Me too, i am in Alpe Dhuez from 4th!

Any more for anymore wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wetterzentrale up and running now.
latest report
Renry wrote:
Me too, i am in Alpe Dhuez from 4th!

Any more for anymore wink

Yep, heading for Avoriaz on the 4th Smile
snow report
St Anton on the 4th!! (just in case I haven't mentioned it enough...) snowHead
snow report
Prague on the 4th! Embarassed

It is my birthday on the 4th though so anyone skiing please put in even just a wee mini turn for me Very Happy
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Looking at the UK here's an update from the Met Office.

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/cold-weather-winning-the-war-of-probabilities/

Not sitting on the fence much are they Shocked

Val D on the 2nd Feb Very Happy
snow report
Val Thorens on Saturday (28th)!
latest report
The wigglies are back online - and suggest plunging temps across most of E & C Europe. this is Arabba in the Dolomites http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_1247_ens.png Shocked
snow conditions
Hmmmm, how does one interpret these wigglies?

Nick
snow report
n1ckster, read this!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852
ski holidays
n1ckster, There's a beginners guide here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852 .
latest report
No no no - the real beginner's guide is here Toofy Grin http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31806&start=1080#864895
snow conditions
Red Leon, Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy