Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
phillip33, alas I will be back in the UK. But if you can't get up to La Tania in a winter tyred Q7 the snow's going to be fricken awesome so we will all be grateful for your self-sacrifice to the snowgods.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good point, it's just a shame I,m not good enough to ski the bloody stuff !

At home eh ? Just stopping over to earn a few quid to pay for that pad of yours? Guess you never travel by car up the mountain?!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
phillip33 wrote:
At home eh ? Just stopping over to earn a few quid to pay for that pad of yours? Guess you never travel by car up the mountain?!
Usually by car, but it's the chauffeur that drives it wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar,

Game set and match !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
according to the Val D'Isere website forecast..........they are expecting at least 60cms tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday December 29th, 2011 Friday December 30th, 2011
Forecast Cloudy morning with light snow falls. Sunny spells are expected in the afternoon. Heavy snow falls all day long, we are waiting for at least 60 cm of snow

Ste Foy being just down the road hopefully will get much of the same.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i guess the rain/snow limit will be the main issue over the next few days precipitation, meteo france has freezing levels over 2000m on sunday Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ yeah, looks like some heavy rain in lower resorts. "Best conditions can be found on the upper slopes" haha.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As flagged up on the skipass.com forum (and a number of others) the strength of the Azores High is certainly becoming one of the major features of the first part of winter. You can see it clearly in today's UKMO chart (or indeed any number of recent charts).

This is having a number of effects (beyond delivering us a very high NAO).

- It is blocking off low pressure from pushing into the Mediterranean, meaning it is much drier in the Southern Alps.
- It is bringing storm systems down from the north west, bringing additional snow into the Northern Alps.
- Amongst other things it (and the jet racing over the top of it) is preventing really cold air from piling down from the Arctic. So far not too much of a problem, but meaning we are having overall a relatively average to mild start in terms of temperatures.

Over the coming days the Azores High sits further to the west (and cold weather pushes in from the north west), as it nudges it's way east later the flow of snow is cut off and temperatures rise.

As we go into FI there is uncertainty over how far east the high will push across (see the different GFS and ECM examples from yesterday morning) and far south low pressure will dig. Last night's 18z had the low pressure pushing down from the north with a disrupted polar vortex, this morning's keep high pressure in charge. So a great deal of uncertainty remains.

In terms of the next few days in the northern Alps.

- Heavy snow tomorrow and New Year's Eve, high winds at times. Temperatures rising towards the end of this period so rain lower down.
- New Year's Day will be mild. Though fortunately looks relatively dry.
- 02 January snow returning and temperatures falling (so rain to snow at lower altitudes).
- Much lower confidence has snow returning to low levels on or around 05 January.

In terms of contrasts it still looks just possible that Bourg St Maurice could record the wettest December on record. Out west by comparison rainfall in the last couple of days means Seattle has just narrowly missed a record for the driest ever December...

There is snow coming into northern parts of the US, but this shows how below average a start they have been having in a number of places.

NOAA current precipitation against normal for western US

Here are some ensembles:

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Eastern Pyrenees.

Bad Gastein.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 17-01-12 12:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen, really interesting update, thank you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NOZA - I'm sure you've been asked before, but can you explain what the thick blue control line is on the ensembles, what does it represent?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ZAMG's December 2011 preliminary round up for Austria.

Mild, wenig Sonne, im Westen feuchtester Dezember seit 20 Jahren

- Large East/West split. Parts of the Arlberg and Tirol had their wettest December since 1991, with two to three times average rain/snow. In parts of eastern Austria however, there was less than half the average rainfall.
- Sunshine was below December averages. Temperatures generally above average.
- After the driest November on record and the wet weather in the west, snowpacks in the west are roughly average for the time of year. The deepest measured snowpack was is Galzig am Arlberg 190cm.

Arteta10, it's a control run, at slightly lower resolution than the operational. You want to look for the control and operational reaching similar conclusions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen, Mmm. Lots of food for thought there, thanks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
With strong to stormy winds coming in over next couple of days, accompanied by heavy snow and increasing avalanche risk there could be quite a few lift closures. Potentially worth staking that spot in the bar by the fireplace early.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen, thanks again for your time in posting weather updates in detail...a great read !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heavy snow showers ganging up and barrelling down into W Switz & N French Alps tonight Very Happy
snow report
12z GFS pushes up potential snowfall in the Alps on 04/05 January quite considerably.

ECM agrees. Though it's still too far to have a real sense of how heavy this may or may not be.

Here's SLF on the next few days.

Avalanche danger is increasing, amidst snowfall and storm

- "The snow depths are far greater than average, particularly in northern and in western regions."
- "Thursday night in western and northern regions, snowfall will set in. During the afternoon on Friday, the precipitation will slacken off. In the furthermost southern regions it will be partly sunny." [20 to 30cms in places and up to 40cm locally]
- "... northwesterly wind will be blowing at strong to storm velocity."
- "On Saturday, continuous and intermittently intense snowfall is anticipated in all regions of the Swiss Alps except the furthermost south. The northwesterly wind will be blowing at strong velocity."
latest report
Quote:
This season i have entered 5 races and they have all been cancelled due to too much snow. My next race is the 6th of January so i predict lots of snow next wednesday/thursday. Not very sicentific Puzzled but it seems to be a trend

Now 6 races out of 6 cancelled Puzzled Another way of predicting snowfall.

I have not entered any races for the next 2 weeks so i predict clear skies, sunshine & firm pistes Very Happy

Expect the next big storm w/c 20th jan Puzzled

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 5-01-12 18:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Funny you say that as an other dump of snow is forecast for the 5th/6th !

I am off to Flaine on 7th so sorry fingers crossed this happens

Snow Snow Snow Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
The Jan 5th snowfall looks like it will be another biggie (for the Alps).
latest report
Certainly a lot more snow due at altitude in the northern Alps over the next 48 hours.

Slightly less good and tricky to be exact, but it does look like heavy rain could be falling at times tomorrow below about 1500 to 1800m along with strong winds in places.

By Monday though the temperature is dropping and further potentially quite substantial snow is looking likely. This will push in from the west so arriving later and finishing later (early Tuesday?) in the east.

Pushing on to Wednesday it looks like the Alps could see further snowfall and colder temperatures, before a stronger system pushes through on Thursday 05/06 January. If 06z is right this is followed by a lighter band of snow on Saturday.
snow report
Was snowing exceptionally heavily this morning in the Beaufortain - I don't think it started till about 4 am and by 6 we had 20cms. Had to bring forward our departure and followed an early snowplough down the mountain. There were no fewer than 6 snowploughs clearing the supermarket car park in Albertville when we stopped for breakfast - and people wonder why the UK doesn't cope well with snow!

30 mph all the way to the Frejus tunnel, listening to news of accidents and hold ups (all behind us!) and the stopping of trucks on the Mont Blanc tunnel approach road. for about 15 minutes 107.7FM was broadcasting warnings of a vehicle travelling the wrong way on the motorway from Albertville to Chambery. Shocked A few dodgy moments with a truck which rashly passed a load of cars, on a very snowy outside lane. We passed him stuck later, hazards flashing! I was impressed with how very cautiously all the cars - including the local ones - were driving. Steady speed, good gaps, no problem at all. Was nice to have really good snow tyres though we had put on chains first thing, given that our garage access road had not been ploughed and had very deep snow. Easier to put them on indoors!

Then through the Frejus tunnel (70 kph speed limit, the fastest we'd driven all morning) and out onto the Italian side with just a few flakes of snow, which soon stopped. Very high wind but no problems and the sun is shining bright and warm over Genoa. I guess that "Genoa low" they've been talking about (to produce snow on the southern side of the Alps) is nowhere to be seen. The Italian side was looking pretty dessicated.

Looks like a couple of rather unpleasant wet days at altitudes up to 1500 - 1600m in the northern French Alps; think I'll stay by the sea. wink
snow report
For tomorrow at 2000m Chamonix meteo is forecasting another 50-70cm. Shocked
Guess that means torrential rain at lower altitudes though, which will wash away a lot of the snow that fell today???
ski holidays
hd, It will wash away some but help consolidate some too, depending on temperature. Not the end of the world.

More worrying is avalanche, or even mudslide risk.
ski holidays
Keeping an eye on that Bourg St Maurice record. It's crept up to 279.2mm though that's without today's rain/snow (342.2mm is the record).

Short term looking at GFS 12z this evening the picture remains the same.

Looking further ahead the potential for snowfall and lower temperatures in the second half of the week continues to gain support.

- Light snow on 04 January.
- Potentially heavy snow on 05 into 06 January.

Out into FI (so low confidence)

- Light snow on 07 January
- Further snow on 08/09 January.

Here's SLF's update for Switzerland tomorrow.

High avalanche danger in west and north, moist snow avalanches in afternoon

- "Between Thursday morning and Friday afternoon above 1000 m in the Jura, on the northern flank of the Alps, in the Lower Valais, in the Gotthard region and from Prättigau into the northern Engadine, there was 20 to 40 cm of snowfall, locally as much as 50 cm of new fallen snow"

- "On Friday night the precipitation will become more intense again from the west."

- "By Saturday 20 to 40 cm of snowfall is anticipated [in places]... The snowfall level during the night will be 600 m. Over the course of the day, it will ascend to 1500 to 1800 m from the northwest. A northwesterly wind will be blowing at moderate to strong velocity.

- "In all regions of the Swiss Alps, moist snow avalanches and full depth snowslides accompanied by rainfall can be expected below about 1800 m over the course of the day." [and that's likely to be an issue for much of the northern Alps]
ski holidays
Some wind speeds from "Robert" which hit the UK on Wednesday. Slightly oddly the source is Meteo France.

- 176km/h à Aonach Mor (à 1130m d'altitude).
- 161km/h à Caingorm Summit (1237m).
- 152km/h à Bealach Na Ba (773m)
- 141km/h à Glen Ogle (564m)
- 128km/h à South Uist Range (4m)
- 128km/h à Tiree (9m)
- 120km/h à Loch Glascarnoch (269m)
- 115km/h à Islay - Port Ellen (13m)

Next Tuesday incidentally, currently looks like it could bring further stormy weather to the UK.
ski holidays
Saturday / Sunday could be black days again in certain French resorts I should think
snow report
nozawaonsen, impressive wind speeds. Shocked
snow report
I'm off to Arabba in the Dolomites on the 8th Jan, will any of this snow make it's way that far east??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27,

Do you mean rain! If that's the case do you think I will not need the winter tyres I have just spent a small fortune on ( la Tania 2nd jan ) , if so robrar can you ask your "chauffeur" to look at your tyres and seebif you need new ones, typical bad luck , the rain on the conservatory is blooming loud, hope it ends up in the alps but on a cold front not warm, cannot complain though as we will be skiing above 1850 most times, time for a drink ,
latest report
Quote:

Do you mean rain!

maybe he means 5/5 avalanche risk; more than likely, I'd say. chamonix meteo says 5/5 tomorrow - will inevitably close some pistes, and possibly some roads.
latest report
phillip33, wot pam w, says. Black Flag I should have said

You will need chains tomorrow in the French alps regardless of tyres
snow conditions
Then I need another drink as I have to practice again,please rain on Monday if only for few hours !
latest report
phillip33, please can we keep this on topic about the weather, rather than your snow chains.
latest report
Temperatures rising this afternoon, snow looks like clearing from France late this evening, though it will take till tomorrow morning to move from Austria.

New Year's Day then looks less snowy, mild and possibly some sun between clouds.

By Monday though snow looks like returning from the west, building through the day and as it does temperatures drop.

Here is WRF on Monday afternoon.

A possible pause on 03 January, before snow (and cold temperatures) resuming on 04 Jan... and possibly slipping up a few gears. Bergfex has 120cm falling on St Anton on 04/05 January.

Looking a week ahead there looks like being further snow on Saturday as the system moves through, before another weaker system approaches on 07 January.

Beyond that there is the faint suggestion of a pattern change with high pressure being more dominant. Lot's to be worked through though. The Polar Vortex (the low pressure system that sits over the pole) looks like it will be broken up to some extent and this may shift things around a little. The 06Z runs suggested one FI option might be taking things a lot colder (perhaps less snowy for a while beyond 09 January).

But that's a long way out and I wouldn't take that chart seriously. We'll see.

Here are some ensembles.

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Eastern Pyrenees.

Bad Gastein.

luigi, yes Monday/Tuesday in particular. The issue is more about north south than east west. Snow has been pushing through to the Southern Alps, just not in anything like the amounts in the north.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:

luigi, yes Monday/Tuesday in particular. The issue is more about north south than east west. Snow has been pushing through to the Southern Alps, just not in anything like the amounts in the north.

Good news, it hasn't been a epic start to the season in the Dolomites, good job they're experts with the snowmaking. Just hoping Innsbruck airport will be open for business, the freeze levels are dropping sub-600m next week coinciding with the heavy snowfalls in the Tyrol!
ski holidays
Noza happy new year your a star
snow report
+1 Very Happy
latest report
Didn't in the end reach the 1965 record for Bourg St Maurice. It reached 324.1mm for December (the record was 342.2mm), although it did equal the December 1965 record for 20 days of December with rain and was just over three times the monthly average of of 107.2mm.

Further snow looks like crossing the Alps tomorrow with temperatures cooling as it does. Looks like around 10-20cm. Could last into Tuesday morning in the east though in general Tuesday looks clearer.

By Wednesday another relatively light band of snow is working it's way through, to be followed by what looks like a substantial (and potentially disruptive) snowfall on 05/06 January in the northern Alps. Possibly slightly more focussed on the east this time round, but that could still shift. It does though look likely to be quite a bit colder than the snow at the end of last week.

Here's WRF for next Thursday midday.

Saturday night looks like a further light band of snow will potentially pass through. With the possibility of further snow pushing into the eastern Alps on 08/09 January.

Beyond that and deeper into FI it continues to look like a period of colder weather may be on the cards.
latest report
Worth comparing ECM and GFS at 120 (next Friday lunchtime).

ECM +120

GFS +120

Both models see snow in the Alps on Thursday and Friday. But ECM would suggest it may be stronger than GFS is currently modeling with low pressure pushing deeper south.

Shorter term it looks like snow starts arriving in northern French Alps around 7am, possibly light rain to start with, but temperatures fall and the snow strengthens around lunchtime. It looks like reaching Austria in the afternoon.
latest report
Hmm. Now I have to decide whether to drive back up to the French alps from Genoa tomorrow, or wait till a nicer day (a very good skiing day....) on Tuesday. Decisions, decisions. But nice ones. snowHead Just saw a sign, out of the taxi window, to say it is forecast to rain in Genoa tomorrow. So I think that suggests heading north, to the snow, tomorrow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy