Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

That amount of snow (and rain lower down) would be very disruptive and could shut things down for a day or two.

Hmm. First big transfer day of the season.... that figures. The Met Office chart predictions have some impressively low pressures on. Be careful what you wish for......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, it's not often you see the precip wiggles slice through the temps like that. Looks like potential for a settled period after the storm. Could be a chance for the snow pack to consolidate.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking good but austria not quite so exciting although if i am right looks a pretty cosistent cold spell with a few cm of snow most days? hope i am right meaning would be plenty nice condition for my new year trip, webcams look a lot healthier but some of the snow reports seem a little excessive from what looks to be on the ground?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen, flying to GVA on Sunday morning, hope it has passed through by then
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is some very serious precipitation en route !! snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Eeek, I've gone from being excited about epic snow to slightly concerned I won't make it to La Plagne on Saturday...ah well, as long as we get there at some point.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm flying TO London from Geneva this Friday, hope it will be Ok!

Miserable weather in Geneva this morning with very heavy rain, so hopefully higher up it will be seeing the benefits.
latest report
 brian
brian
06z keeps the worst of the winds in the channel/biscay. *Ridiculous* amounts of snow heading to northern french alps and the Valais. Still a decent dump along in E Switz/Austria. A few cm at best in Italy/S France (do not underestimate the power of the rain shadow!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Piccadilly wrote:
Eeek, I've gone from being excited about epic snow to slightly concerned I won't make it to La Plagne on Saturday...ah well, as long as we get there at some point.

Me too! Particularly as one forecast on tinternet shows a weather warning for heavy snow in BstM for Saturday!
Although this morning the heavy snow seems to have moved to Friday.

We shall just have to wait and see. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its excited concern snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a bit worried about the FL, snow-forecast have got a lot of rain low down for where we are going (Val Cenis) Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Driving to Le Grand Bornand on Friday/Saturday - looks like we might need those lovely snow tyres (and 4WD and chains...) Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can the snowheads arriving GVA on Friday prep the bar for those of us arriving Saturday - please??? Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
driving down to Ste Foy on Thursday, looks like my arrival is going to be well timed ahead of the heavy snow forecast..........others in the party flying to Chambery on Fri & Sat.....finges crossed for them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
just see the forecast and its now rain with FL at almost 2500m........i bloody hope that is wrong!!!!!!!!!!! 45mm of rain for STe Foy
Days 0-3 Sainte Foy Weather Summary: A moderate fall of snow, heaviest on Mon morning. Temperatures will be below freezing (max 0°C on Tue morning, min -15°C on Mon night). Wind will be generally light. Days 4-6 Sainte Foy Weather Summary: A heavy fall of snow, heaviest during Fri afternoon. Becoming milder with heavy rain (total 45.0mm) on Fri afternoon . Freeze-thaw conditions (max 1°C on Fri night, min -11°C on Sat night). Wind will be generally light.
Metric
Imper.
Mon
morn-
ing Mon
after-
noon Mon
night Tue
morn-
ing Tue
after-
noon Tue
night Wed
morn-
ing Wed
after-
noon Wed
night Thu
morn-
ing Thu
after-
noon Thu
night Fri
morn-
ing Fri
after-
noon Fri
night Sat
morn-
ing Sat
after-
noon Sat
night

Wind (km/h)
Summary light snow light snow clear some clouds some clouds snow shwrs snow shwrs light snow snow shwrs light snow light snow mod. snow heavy snow mod. snow mod. snow mod. snow mod. snow mod. snow
Snow cm 5 2 - - - 1 1 3 2 4 5 8 12 7 6 7 5 7
Rain mm - - - - - - - - - - - - - 14 31 - - -
Max °C -2 -5 -6 0 -1 -2 -1 -2 -6 -7 -8 -4 0 0 1 -2 -8 -10
Min °C -3 -8 -15 -2 -2 -3 -1 -4 -9 -7 -8 -10 -2 0 0 -5 -9 -11
WChill °C -7 -13 -20 -5 -6 -7 -5 -8 -15 -12 -16 -14 -8 -6 -5 -12 -16 -17
Freezing level (m) 1700 1450 650 2200 2300 2000 2050 1950 900 1100 850 800 1850 2350 2500 1800 950 450
ski holidays
snowing quite nicely in the Savoie today, it seems. 15 - 25cms at 1500m forecast by Chamonix meteo. snowHead Need to build up some more base to withstand the stunning quantity of rain which looks pretty likely to fall on Friday - hopefully Saturday it will still be precipitating, with snow to much lower altitudes. Anybody driving round the Alps this weekend will probably be thankful if all that precipitation doesn't fall as snow along the main road arteries and resort approach roads. I have timed it really badly; driving south through the San Gottardo tunnel on Thursday and north through Fréjus on Sunday - not looking forward to that, really. Have four good snow tyres and just did my annual snowchain practice, but.......
snow report
pam w, gulp.... good luck with that!
snow report
Remember snow-forecast takes its figures only from the op. GFS run, it's likely that any snowfall coming this weekend will be less than currently progged (it's 4-6 days away, a long time when there is a massive variable involved such as the track of a storm)
ski holidays
why will it be less ??........last week they weren t forecasting anywhere near the amount that actually fell.

as it happens I m happy for it to be less.......the only worry is the FL, which at 2500m, and the amount of precipitation due will cause mayhem.

thouigh very true much can change between now and then
latest report
stefoy4me wrote:
why will it be less ??........last week they weren t forecasting anywhere near the amount that actually fell.

As far as I can see the 6z OP run on GFS was an outlier in showing much heavier precipitation that what most of the other runs show. Hence the amount falling is likely to be less than what the OP run shows unless the OP run is right and all the other runs are wrong. I would wait until Thursday before getting excited/disappointed as this will give a amore accurate indication of how much will fall Friday/Saturday. What does seem clear at this stage is that the heavier precipitation coincides with milder air hence the high freezing level shown on sites like snow forecast.com
latest report
cheers Jimmy........to be honest alot of this is beyond my level of understanding as regards forecasts, GFS, 6z, OP etc etc.........

by Thursday i ll be en route so what will be will be
snow report
If you look at the wigglies for the Western French Alps for example:

The green spike is the operational run which snow-forecast is based on, and shows almost twice as much precipitation as some runs.

All runs agree that the FL will increase over the weekened, and then decrease again, and all agree to some precipitation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This storm only has to track a bit further north and the temps will drop and so will snow levels, don't worry yet, the freezing line on snow forecast pretty unreliable , I like to use the guys from chamonix they tend to get temps and snowfall amounts reasonably correct normally though from two days out max
snow report
cheers for the explanation......excuse the dumb q's............which side is the FL indicated on right or left ?
ski holidays
yes noticed that about Snow Forecast........their freezing levels don always seem to be very reliable...........take each day as it comes until Thursday when i ll be en route to bucket loads of rain or snow.

A freezing level of 1500m will be just fine.......snow in resort but not a nightmare climb in snow from BSM
snow report
06z is showing an increasing likelihood of a white (or even rather wet) Christmas, compared to 00Z. In fact you might wonder whether the two runs had any relationship to each other at all.
snow report
James the Last, almost no relationship at all at that range. Each run is just producing different permutations.
ski holidays
stefoy4me, the upper line and the left hand side shows the temperature at approx. 1500m. The steady red line is the average for that time of year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know a lot could change in the next few days but I'm pleased I won't be involved in the first big changeover of the season this Sat and by Sunday some french resorts have had more Snow in two weeks than the whole of last season Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
no Rob, it potentially could be carnage...........glad i m getting there on Thursday night!!!!!!!!!..........
latest report
phillip33 wrote:
the freezing line on snow forecast pretty unreliable , I like to use the guys from chamonix they tend to get temps and snowfall amounts reasonably correct normally though from two days out max

I checked snow forecast today after looking at this thread and it said 13mm of rain followed by 1cm of snow for us at village level (I usually only look at chamonix meteo unless the news is so good/bad I'm praying for agreement/disagreement from other sources)! It was a bit sleety at 7am but by the time I'd made coffee it had become proper snow that has just stopped, and there is 16cm of snow on the balcony (tape measured for accuracy in this weather thread rather than relying on the Pringle method!)

I stopped looking at snow forecast because it so often predicts rain at village level here when it in fact falls as snow that I got tired of being unduly worried. I seem to remember nozawaonsen giving a good explanation last year of the different factors that affect the actual rain/snow limit at specific times in specific areas, and why snow forecast can only give a rough guide as to what might happen.

Here's hoping it works out perfectly so everyone can get where they need to go, with just the right amount of snow!
snow report
 brian
brian
phillip33 wrote:
This storm only has to track a bit further north

South wink

Don't get too hung up on the freezing level. With a low lapse rate and heavy driving snow, there could easily be a f/l at 2000m and a snow/rain limit of 1500m. As the colder air pushes in behind the cold front into Friday evening, it will snow right down to <1000m. Snow showers on Saturday right down to the plain.

12z GFS keeps the main storm action down in the channel with the worst winds on Thursday evening. No Friday UK airport problems on that run. wink All eyes on the other models as they come out ... Still looking snowHead snowHead snowHead for the Valais. Very Happy
snow report
There was a flutter of sleet here today, at below 500m!
ski holidays
brian,

South wink Don't you start
Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

keeps the main storm action down in the channel

and possibly right into my house if the lowest pressure coincides with high water.... Sad The Environment Agency forecast storm surge of .64m on tonight's high water, which we can cope with. But the Met Office gale warning is a picture - "Low 200 miles west of Rockall 960 expected southwest Hebrides 944 by same time" (ie midday tomorrow). We don't get many 944s around here. Shocked

Thurs/Fri storm looks worse for us.
ski holidays
Hmmm I'm on Hayling Island and its gusting over 40 knts now....
snow report
The GFS reports, are they normalised to sea level?
ski holidays
Bit of a shame about sea area Trafalgar (or whatever it is now called)... otherwise it would be "There are warnings of gales in all areas...." not what you want to hear if you are in a small boat but quite nice if you have plenty of alcohol and spare matches on land.... 944 would certainly cause you to take a reef in....
snow report
Quote:

944 would certainly cause you to take a reef in

bare poles, maybe? And some of that alcohol you mentioned. wink
latest report
Yes - bare poles and plenty of sea room! Always think that mountains and seas have one thing in common.. rocks are a bad idea....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy