Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Tomo54, maybe he has found a forecast that is soooo good for Europe, he is lost in total ecstacy!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyway...

Slightly milder conditions for a while in the Alps following a cool and snowy week.

08 December round up from SLF.

Evaluate snowdrift accumulations with caution.

- "Since Sunday above 1600m on the northern flank of the Alps, in the Valais, in the Gotthard region and from northern Prättigau into Samnaun, there has generally been 50 to 100 cm of snowfall; in northern Lower Valais, in the Vaud and Glarner Alps, as much as 140 cm of new fallen snow."
- Freezing level today in the northern Alps 2000m at midday.

08 December Salburger Avalanche Warning.

- Since Monday from 1200-1600m 50-70 cm Northern Alps and Hohe Tauern , 40-50cm Lower Tauern.

Looking at this morning's output:

- Possibility of light snow showers in Northern Alps on Saturday and again Monday.
- As more stormy weather crosses the UK midweek this will also brush against the Alps midweek (14 and 15 December) with further snow followed by cooler temperatures.
- Potentially quite substantial snow on or around 17 December.

17 December on ECM.

Incidentally, the Met Office picked up an award for 'empowering people to make their own decisions’ by using the technical systems for the ‘probabilities of precipitation’ which is nice...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen, does that storm next week have the potential to be as destructive as yesterday's hurricane bawbag?

I notice the pressure. Bawbag was measured with a low of 977mb. The chart above has a centre of 970. Also looks like it would have more southerly track which would bring highest winds across northern Ireland and central to southern england which would be interesting and would also feed more systems into the alps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, it could well be pretty windy across the UK next week.

Tuesday 13 December
Friday 16 December

Maybe will need to find the Irish equivalent to "Bawbag"? Still some way off mind...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ooof!!!

As long as it doesn't co-incide with high tide on the Severn!!

Would bring a lot of moisture to the alps!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hmmm - i'm supposed to be flying out to GVA on 16th. could be a bumpy take-off if we take off at all!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
hmmm - i'm supposed to be flying out to GVA on 16th. could be a bumpy take-off if we take off at all!

Still some way out, so more to watch, than to worry about I'd say.

Incidentally a good piece from Mountain Weather in Jackson Hole comparing the two La Ninas (this year's and last).

Comparing La Nina's

Currently ENSO is at -0.93 so continuing a weak La Nina (for now).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, appears......... nozawaonsen, disappears..............??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What exactly are you trying to achieve here?
I get the impression that some of you are try to wind up nozawaonsen.
Why?
He's doing us all a fantastic service.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="sennion"]
Quote:

Why?

Sennion. Absolutely not! I for one look avidly for Noza's informative contributions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maybe he's implying a clark kent/superman co-existence.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Keep the good up work nozawaonsen. Greatly appreciated Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Honestly I am dyslexic LOL Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hmmm, bumply flight to Belfast next week then Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Why?
He's doing us all a fantastic service

I think you misinterpret. This is one of the most popular threads I have ever been on and we all wait with baited breath for Noz's next installment. He can effect the mood of hundreds of people with a few swipes of his keyboard. And we like to have a bit of a laugh and a joke as well so don't take the banter too seriously.

Noz becomes your favorite person in the world when it is snowing, when it gets hot and dry I go off him pretty quickly, it all becomes his fault Smile
snow report
Quote:

No, I am spartacus [nozawonsen]
latest report
sennion wrote:
Quote:

Why?

Wind Noz up, give me a break. He's a hero, as was Brian before him. Respect both.
snow report
RetroBod wrote:
Wind Noz up, give me a break. He's a hero, as was Brian before him. Respect both.

Ok maybe I did take your comment out of context.

I was thinking of a previous comment in the thread about Brian and Noza "battling it out like wild animals" for supremacy!

After the last 2 season starts I'm still a little twitchy about the prospects rain and warm temperatures in Les Gets/Morzine over the New year period so I (like everyone else) await Noza's updates very eagerly and I wouldn't want anyone to pi** him off.
snow conditions
Great blokes perhaps but none of them can change the weather in your favour. Looking at the webcams and forecasts is a pointless exercise.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, liar liar pants on fire...

looking at webcams is not pointless. frustrating yes, pointless no.

smoking is pointless.

so's bowls. and vegetarian haggis. Very Happy
latest report
shoogly wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, liar liar pants on fire...

looking at webcams is not pointless. frustrating yes, pointless no.

smoking is pointless.

so's bowls. and vegetarian haggis. Very Happy

And Celery
snow conditions
I like this forecast sitehttp
://www.yr.no/place/Austria/Tyrol/Alpbach~2782758/long.html

If its right seems to be setting things up nicely for our visit over new year
ski holidays
Quote:

Looking at the webcams and forecasts is a pointless exercise.

I disagree, though I have been sh*t upon from a great height round here for telling people it's pointless worrying, and also pointless faffing around in mid November about what will be happening at Christmas.

Watching a trend, and learning a bit about when the forecasts are looking reasonably firm, and when they're not, is both interesting and useful. I initially learnt a bit about meteorology for sailing, when it's absolutely essential to understand a bit about, for example, how a depression tracking further north, or south, than expected will affect the winds.

For skiing, day to day, it's fairly pointless I agree - you can just look out the window - but I do find it useful for travelling and have sometimes changed plans because of weather. For example one time we got my son to brin forward a flight to Geneva by 24 hours - I picked him up and though we needed chains before we got back to the apartment, it was not a difficult journey. Then it absolutely chucked it down all night and we both got to go out on a load of unpisted pistes and had a ball. Without the forecast I'd have spent the whole of that fantastic day struggling to and from Geneva airport.

I do really try not to "worry" though. That just furs up the arteries.
ski holidays
sennion

It was me who made that comment, to be honest let's not get to worried, as I think they need us as much as we need them!

I,m glad that Brian is back I appreciate his imput as much as noza and not forgetting mottafros!? Infact I appreciate paulio,s comments even pam w,
At the end of the day we are a community a fully dysfunctional one, full of the usual traits , know-alls know nothings, no cares, no worries, no contributors, and lots more.

What we all care about is snow or the lack of it, or seeking help/advice and usually this ends in a dog fight between snowheads, one word sums us up

Priceless

To end just finished watching. Oliver with daughter, that Nancy song she sings about bill Sykes " as long as he needs me " blah blah blah

To noza Brian paulio red twenty something, and pam w the "sock" is in the wash? And I need you

Ps been in the " swan" west malling since 12 Have fun
snow report
God give me strength
snow report
red 27,

Not strength but a sense of humour. Pray harder
ski holidays
Anyway ... back to the weather eh ..... rolling eyes
snow report
Nice one phillip33,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If that storm hits as predicted, and is accompanied with a high tide, could we be in for some coastal flooding???
latest report
The last low that accompanied the high tide on the 27th November nearly caused some big problems!!!
latest report
Storm of the century if that comes off end of next week...
ski holidays
Having just seen the midday ECM output, can I just say ...

Ya dancer !! Ya dancer !! Ya dancer !! Toofy Grin

If that ECM run verified, there'd be quite a lot of snow right across the Alps next weekend. Cool

Watching even more snow falling in Scotland on Friday ...

Driving up a snowy M8 to fly from Glasgow to a rainy Geneva on Saturday ...

First day skiing in Verbier's fresh powder on Sunday ...
snow conditions
Hmm. I have a link somewhere to a tidal height website which graphs actual height of tide against predicted so you can monitor how it's shaping up. Better remind myself how to find it. Our house is within a few yards of the sea, and big spring tides with a bit of a low in the vicinity regularly deposit seaweed on the drive. Sounds like I should keep an eye on that storm. We have flood boards but have never had to use them in anger yet; there's always a first time. One day our house will flood big-time.
ski holidays
Starting to look distinctly snowier next week, I hope that continues to build.

Fingers crossed for some epic snow next weekend.
snow conditions
ohhh baby let it be so.
snow conditions
pam w, Well if it isn't next week, it would take something HUGE to do so. It's quite away off yet but if that were to hit..........it will be rather severe!
ski holidays
moffatross, I don't know why you're getting so excited. If that comes off I doubt whether you'll make it to Glasgow, let alone get to GVA and even if you walked to Verbier it would all be closed. Very Happy
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, thing is, it all depends on whether the time of lowest pressure coincides with high water. If the low pressure comes at a time when the tide is low anyway, that's fine - even a very severe low won't bring a low tide up to anywhwere near the height of a high tide. But if the factors all come together - an unusually low pressure coinciding with a big tide, that's when we have to worry. Tidal predictions are based on an average pressure which IIRC is around 2013 millibars and a difference of 1 millibar makes around 1 cm of difference. So if we had, say, 973 millibars in a big low tracking across the south of England (which they don't usually) that could give us a height of tide 40 cms over predicted. BUT there are other factors, including wind and storm surges at work - worth keeping an eye on.

There's certainly a lot of weather about. snowHead
snow report
This evening's outlook continues to suggest good potential for the coming week with a series of systems providing stormy weather for the UK and offering repeated opportunities of snowy weather across the Alps.

After possible light snow showers tomorrow, Monday, Thursday and Friday into Saturday all look like they could offer potential for snowfall, increasing as the week goes on.

Here incidentally is a useful page if you are looking at the Tirol, showing:

- current snow depth.
- snowfall in last 24, 48 and 72 hours.
- wind speed and direction.
- air temperature.

It updates hourly.

Here are some ensembles.

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Eastern Pyrenees.
snow report
nozawaonsen, have I ever told you I love you? I know we've never met, but I just do*

* well, not really, but I like that report. A lot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy