Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
drdodds, go and have a look on the Val D'Isere thread.

then go there. If you book with Crystal now, you'll get yourself a bargain. Do it quick though before they realise the early season is not doomed after all and put their prices back up.

Come back to this thread if you want to learn about what the weather might, might not, possibly, or probably won't do in a few days time.

As for all the snow. All snow is good, as long as you know how to enjoy it safely.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plus 1!
Quote:

go and have a look on the Val D'Isere thread.

then go there
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
drdodds, if you still fancy Zermatt have a look on the Zermatt thread on here, or the Italy thread and look at Cervinia (which links to Zermatt). A couple of snowHead were out there last week and even though it hadn't snowed for near on a month the snow up high was apparently very good.

Places might not be fully open now even if there is enough snow as it's still going to be very quiet, they won't run all the lifts all day if no one is there to use them. The week of 16/17 will be different as it's when Christmas holidays start for some, and is likely to be busier.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Italy thread, read post from ChrisWo http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80301

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74393
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Places might not be fully open now even if there is enough snow

very good point. Many resorts are not scheduled to open fully until 17 Dec.

80cms now at 2000m in the Beaufortain - was completely green just a few days ago. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Clearly a tricky start to the season in the Alps, though recent snow across the northern and western Alps has gone some way to correcting the situation in those areas.

In terms of the US worth a glance at this piece from Wasatch Weather Weenies on the continuing marginal conditions in some places.

A Look at the (Limited) Snowpack

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 7-12-11 16:51; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Edit.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-12-11 16:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Clearly a tricky start to the season in the Alps, though recent snow across the northern and western Alps has gone some way to correcting the situation on those areas.

In terms of the US worth a glance at this piece from Wasatch Weather Weenies on the continuing marginal conditions in some
places.

http://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/?m=1 http://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/2011/12/look-at-limited-snowpack.html?m=1
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FastEddie, What have you done with Noza?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From this evening's 12z GFS it looks like any milder temperatures at the end of the week won't last too long over the Alps nor does it currently appear that they will be that far above average.

Snow though does look like pausing for a few days with clouds parting at times over the weekend. There is the possibility of some snow showers from 12 December over the French Alps.

Beyond that there is an encouraging FI this afternoon, with low pressure building to the south and bringing snow across the Alps from 17 December. Too soon to have any confidence though...

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Noza, that FI GFS looks perfect for the Dolomites, but as we know anything in FI will change, fingers crossed for all of the temporary pasta eaters though
snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The current pattern is playing havoc in the Pyrenees, normally we have a good base building up by now but the sky is clear and the temperatures are way above normal. Though gradually cooling there doesn't seem to be any major activity on the cards within the next 7 days. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Noza, that FI GFS looks perfect for the Dolomites, but as we know anything in FI will change, fingers crossed for all of the temporary pasta eaters though

+ 1 ..... going to be watching this GFS with fingers and toes crossed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow-forecast seems to have dropped the dump of snow in the 3vs from next weeks outlook. Just waiting for Noz and the other masters of the wiggles to tell us what's going on.
latest report
You do know that snow-forecast use the exact same techniques, yeah?
snow report
paulio, Yep fully understand, but like the dialogue and words around whats happening.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
The general theme is atlantic dominated, with a HP around the azores and another ridging over from Russia. To get snow in the alps, you ideally need them to stay far enough apart and not flatten out too much, allowing atlantic storms a free passage to plunge moistly in a mountainous direction, a la this morning's ECM FI ...

snowHead
latest report
More snow due next weekend.
latest report
Has the big dump finished for now? Will the weather pattern on the chart bring some more snow soon, do we think?
snow report
brian,

Are ECM and GFS in agreement for next week
latest report
phillip33, to visualise what Brian said a little better, just zoom out a bit.

What do you think ? wink

ECM in 10 days ...

GFS in 10 days ...
latest report
Not quite ? Come on ECM but thanks
snow report
looks like more snow for norway then!!
snow report
phillip33, yep, at that instant in time, the ECM chart shows an opening that let a little trough spawn further south but the overall theme across both is just about identical (which is really uncanny and very rare at the 10 day range). So I don't think there's much to worry snow dancers in the northern & western Alps as the theme is ripe on both weather models. I'll be arriving in Verbier on the 16th and I'm certainly expecting at least some new snowfall(s) between now & then and the longer term GFS ensemble set suggests a continuation of the theme during the week I'm there too. Important thing is there're almost no members across the model output suggesting a return to a big, bloated, mild, dry European high pressure. Little Angel

I just ought to add that, that overall theme is superb for Scotland. I mean, really superb. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
So wait, I'm likely to get more snow in La Plagne for when I arrive on the 17th? I may self-combust with excitement.....!
snow conditions
cleared up today but check this pic, at the far left and back of the pic we see Mt Blanc with it's snow coming hat on Smile

source: http://swissmountainleader.com/ via facebook!
latest report
kitenski, that field must have a good 2 cms of snow on it. Thing is, does the Aiguille Verte have her snow hat on?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latest GFS wiggles and maps very encouraging for next week, freezing level a bit high,but hopefully will come down, the Atlantic should show some more of it,s "teeth" next week, but if it comes off should be a great Xmas week especially for N ALps , where I,m going 2nd jan wink experts will confirm later I hope !
snow conditions
Midday GFS was better for the Alps than the earlier ECM ...

snow report
Quote:

experts will confirm later I hope

I'd be surprised if the experts are sticking their necks out about 2 January - but I hope you're right.
latest report
pam w, pam is that you? Is it really you?, this is phillip you don't talk to me remember, can't be you. Admin there is a imposter on the thread !

Meant confirm my general comments not specifics,

Merry Xmas pam whoever you are x
ski holidays
phillip33, for crying out loud - put a sock in it. pretty please
snow report
red 27,

Clearly my sense of humour ? Is lost on this website, sock is employed
snow report
looks like snow-forecast has caught up with the wiggle meisters, as it is now showing reasonable accumilation in the 3v's and other areas for middle of next week.
latest report
Could someone concoct some predictions for the Eastern Alps/Ski Amade for the next 7 days? Wiggles looking to show slightly higher temps than now but what about the snow?

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
phillip33 wrote:
red 27,

Clearly my sense of humour ? Is lost on this website, sock is employed

I thought it was quite funny mate. If that makes you feel better...
snow report
This thread would be poorer without phillip33 and his humour
snow report
PS: Just noticed also that Noza hasn't been on here for a while. FastEddie, ?
snow conditions
Last post from noza was on wednesday, i'm getting worried about him. Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy