Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Could lead to a lot of avalanches with the new snow when it arrives if the existing wet stuff has a chance to freeze up first
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Indeed, already mini ones coming down off the crags but nothing serious just yet. It's still freezing hard every night.
Certainly, after the foot of snow just two nights ago- the plus figures and rain are some of the weirdest conditions I've ever skied! I have never been so warm... Not complaining Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More rain tonight if the temps don't drop enough. FL around 1800 !!!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great Inferno video - http://www.downhillonly.com/site/inferno.shtml
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike, it is a good one
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It rained again last night with possible more to follow tonight (I so hope the weather websites have got it wrong and it it cooler).

Not looking good !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Brookes, rain today hopefully turning to snow later and higher up temps drop later today more snow midweek, it may have rained at lower levels but there was fresh snow on the Lauberhorn this morning
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eddyr, thanks for feedback on hotel and ski hire - does Buri sport have heated bootracks when you leave your stuff overnight? Tobogganing sounds great - did you hire those from the ski hire shop as well? Also, are the toboggan trails also for pedestrians, or are there other walking trails marked out - we have a 60 year old Zambian coming with us and I am not sure how much skiing/tobogganing he will be up for, but I think he would enjoy walking and meeting up with us at restaurants up the mountain. I am thinking that the tourist office should have maps for walkers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gamekeeper, there is I'm sure a winter walking map, but the walks are also marked on the piste map, In purple I think, some of the walks and sled runs share the same paths but there's usually plenty of room for both, walkers can meet skiers at almost every mountain restaurant by virtue of the railways and cablecars, there are only a couple of bars that can't easily be reached with no more than a few hundred yards of walking from a railway of condola/cablecar station. On the slopes most of the walking paths will have purple piste marker poles by them and may have a walker illustrated on their circular signs.

Sleds (of vsarious types) can be hired from the ski hire shops, look for ones that are plastic but that look similar in style to the older wooden ones, the plastic ones have wide runners which give a better glide over snow, make sure everyone who takes one wraps the leash around a wrist or potentially you could send a sled hurtling off down the slope on its own.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gamekeeper, Buri do have racks but I'm not sure you ca use then- think they were to dry out returns. Don't know for sure though as have my own boots which I just carried back to the hotel each day.
The walking and sled runs are indeed shared for the most part. I myself have come close to demolishing some frightened looking pedestrians Wink honestly it's not too bad in the main, it's mostly quite open so either party can see each other generally well in advance.
You can get a piste map at any lift station which have the walking trails on too.
Buri hire sleds, as do tons of shops- you're never more than a minute from sled hire in any of the villages honestly!

Final day of skiing for us today. It did indeed rain last night and the lower snow off piste all has this golfball effect! Wasn't the best day really because it was quite icy in the morning, then coming down after 3pm seriously icy from top to bottom on the Grindelwald side of Manlichen.
Another sledge day tomorrow so hopefully they'll zip along nicely Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like next week will be decidedly chilly in Wengen. Mrs Brian T not very happy that I persuaded her that we should go early February as she does not like it too cold. Could be chilly on more than one front wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brian T wrote:
Looks like next week will be decidedly chilly in Wengen. Mrs Brian T not very happy that I persuaded her that we should go early February as she does not like it too cold. Could be chilly on more than one front wink

which site are you looking at then as its all up and down at the moment with the FL
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with Chris on this temps will be cooler than the last few days but not really cold between maybe +2 and -5 I think
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, D G Orf, snow-forecast is showing -10 to -16 at 2200m most of next week
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mostly Wednesday onwards. NetWeather the same. Or am I misreading something???
snow conditions
Well temps will certainly drop from Tuesday but I'm not sure if it will get that cold, it's possible though, I've seen -28C at the Lauberhorn start hut before
ski holidays
Please don't let Mrs Brian T know that. Divorce could beckon.
ski holidays
Brian T, if temps get that cold take her down to Interlaken and go and enjoy afternoon tea and cakes in Cafe Schuh http://www.schuh-interlaken.ch/ it's probably cheaper than divorce Laughing
ski holidays
snowed a small amount in Mürren but some sites state the temps are going to rise before they fall this afternoon which means more rain !
ski holidays
It is warm. Maanlichen webcam (http://www.feratel.com/en/webcams-weather/switzerland/wengen-maennlichen.html) showing +2.4 at the moment.
snow report
Only -5c at the Schilthorn Sad Sad

Today was meant to be snowing not raining
ski holidays
Screwy weather, it will change I'm sure
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Screwy weather, it will change I'm sure

will that be before or after all the snow has melted in the villages..lol
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, before
ski holidays
Yesterday I took part in the Railway Cup race which is a fun race for DHO members put on by the Jungfrau railways. Fortunately the weather yesterday morning was blue sky and sunshine, although waiting for my turn at the Lauberhorn start hut in the wind was a bit cold. The race consisted of a short GS course, but about 2/3 of the way down there was a table and coatrack and you had to stop, take off your skijacket and put on the previous skier's jacket which had been left there and drink a schnapps before setting off again to the finish. All good fun and followed by an excellent 3 course lunch with plenty of wine in the Champions Lounge of the 1st floor of the KS railway station restaurant, all provided free courtesy of the Jungfrau railways for the race participants! Madeye-Smiley

I went up Männlichen at 9 am today, light snow was falling with a few cms of fresh on the pistes which was nice Smile , the run down to Grund was OK. Had a hot chocate at Grund then took the train up to Kleine Scheidegg by which time it was blowing a hooly so took the rat run down to innerwengen and then back via Allmend to Wengen. The weather had turned to quite heavy rain in Wengen by midday, and the information sign by the station was showing several lifts closed: Eigernordwand, Lauberhorn, Fallboden and the new Wixi (no doubt due to the wind), so decided to draw stumps and have a leisurely afternoon in town (I'm going home tomorrow anyway).

Incidentally the new 6 seater Wixi chair is a great improvement over the old 2 seater, and interestingly it's another one of those side loading lifts like Eigernordwand. Talking of new lifts, I was sat at the Railway Cup lunch yesterday with Martin Gertsch from the Ski School and I asked him about the proposed Y lift system from Grund up to Männlichen and Eigernordwand that I believe has been discussed here on this thread, and he said the latest plan was that it would now be a V rather than a Y, i.e two separate lifts from a common start point. The hoped for date for this is 2016.
ski holidays
It was very wet today for sure...
Towel rail now crowded trying to dry out bits before we head back tomorrow!
Still, had some fun on the sledges, just not as much as we could have done. Glad I wasn't skiing though, wasn't very pleasant.
Incidentally, not just the chairs closed- the train from Brandegg up to KS was stopped also!
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, eddyr, hopefully you guys will get a suprise in the morning when you wake up and head home (and myself when I look at the webcams) that the temps have dropped and its turned to snow snow snow and more snow..
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, looks like that snow has turned up Happy

http://www.downhillonly.com/cam/cam.jpg?1359792660892
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf wrote:
Chris Brookes, looks like that snow has turned up Happy

http://www.downhillonly.com/cam/cam.jpg?1359792660892

lol.......i know i was up at 6am looking at the cams
ski holidays
Does anyone know how much snow has fallen overnight and today?
ski holidays
Brian T wrote:
Does anyone know how much snow has fallen overnight and today?

I was told 'a shedload' Smile
latest report
telford_mike, snowHead snowHead
latest report
As I left just after 9am, yup- a bucket load. Already over half a foot in Grindelwald, let alone the hills!
snow report
The SLF station based at 2360m above Murren has measured a current depth of 293cm of snow at 9pm.

http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/messwerte/wt-daten/wt_tabellarisch_EN
snow report
telford_mike, eddyr, How many bucket loads are there in a shed load? Metric or Imperial? Garden shed or cowshed? So many variable factors could make the "fallen snow" topic the subject of a PHD study.
Might just wait until I reach Wengen on Monday to find out Happy
snow report
Brian T, I believe current snow levels are at garden shed loads, this is equivalent to 80cm on the nursery slopes and 130cm at Kl Scheidegg/Mannlichen, Cowshed loads are seen as anything over 120cm in the village, at this level however everyone is miserable as they are all waiting for avalanches
snow report
D G Orf, Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks wonderful now, village for of snow
http://hoteledelweiss.roundshot.ch/
latest report
Early to bed, early to rise,
Early flight into the skies.
Land in Zurich, Wengen bound,
To ski the slopes with snow on ground.

Yippee
ski holidays
Brian T, enjoy, looks like you may need to extend our 'garden/cow' shed terminology, as the village may well be buried by the time you arrive Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy