Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
According to @MADmattprice on Twitter, the fastest speed through the gun at the bottom of the Hannegschuss was 156.19kph today. And that's just a practice run! Imagine heading down towards Mary's Cafe at over 97mph!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
D G Orf, many thanks!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great picture of the Schilthorn Pisten bully sorting the piste out today

follow me on Twitter: @murrenlover
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They have those things in Murren? Blimey Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blue ski's today. Pistes in great condition and still so so quiet. The downhill practice is on today. Big respect to the guy's. It's cold today -18'c.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Second practice for the Downhill cancelled this morning - too much snow overnight! Sad
http://www.fisalpine.com/news/third-wengen-training-cancelled-due-overnight-snowfall,2221.html
I have subscribed to a Swiss VPN account so that I can watch the live coverage tomorrow and Saturday - even Eurosport's coverage is rubbish this year, just the Downhill on Saturday is live and no coverage at all of the SuperCombined tommorrow.(some Tennis tournament in Australia is on instead) SF zwei have Live coverage throughout the weekend - even the award ceremony for the DH on Saturday! Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Webcam on the CentralSport site is showing the temporary buildings by the ice rink ready for the weekend.
http://www.centralsport.ch/index.php?page=383
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget the great view of the start hut from http://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lauberhorn/Wengen Downhill Intro - Behind the scenes 2013

http://youtube.com/v/OpMaI9Zpbc0
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unique T-shirt prints relating to Wengen (if you like it rolling eyes )

http://wengenstyle.spreadshirt.net/

If a facebook fan...like it (if not you must be either old or in the DHO, except for a couple of people who are snowHead's )

http://www.facebook.com/Wengenstyle
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
enjoyed the downhill on Ski Sunday. 100mph is scarily fast. One gripe about the coverage though. When GB does the pre-race run down the course i would like to see more of the course and a bit less of him filming the course. I am a big fan of his but imho the balance in that segment isn't quite right.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yay! They're removing that tent that's been spoiling the view from the DHO webcam Very Happy

http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any weather forcasts for Wengen/Murren and the like ? - long or short range .. all appreciated Very Happy

(i had to ask.. no-one has for a while Blush )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gamer2471, cold weather for the next week, light snow possible today and Sunday-Monday, long range forecast suggest continued low temps with possible further snow at the start of Feb
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brian T - I have to say that the Swiss TV coverage was very thorough (Super Combined on Friday, 3 hours of DH and prizegiving on Sat, and both Slalom legs on Sunday) - Eurosport was barely adequate - they only covered the Downhill itself (feed from Swiss TV), but at least they had Bruno Kernen doing the course run (live) so didn't edit it like the BBC did.
If you want to experience the full course try out the Ski Challenge game - you can now play the online version without having to download the game to your pc. Careful though, it's addictive!
http://www.skichallenge.at/en/
ski holidays
Hi Chaps
Arriving in Grindelwald on Saturday, going to skip skiing on Sunday and crack on with some tobogganing. Sundays tend to be busier on the slopes so I figure it'd make an entertaining change!

Has anyone done the worlds longest 15km run? We're thinking of getting up and doing it, but wonder which is the best way to the top- via the bus route and walk from there or up via the bubble lifts?
What's the walk like, and whats the toboggan run like? Extreme/dangerous is no bad thing, that's the fun Wink
snow conditions
eddyr, I did, from First.

I think most people will approach the Faulhorn from the top of the Firstbahn, which is higher up then the Busalp where the bus brings you.
The walk is easy, on a groomed path, but in the end its 600 meter up at altitude to get to the Restaurant, no problem for me though. Good views. As for the run down... not sure sledging is safer then skiing really Wink snowHead
latest report
FL upto 3000m + next week between Tuesday - Friday depending on which website you look at !!

snow-forecast
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Murren/6day/mid

Bergfex
http://www.bergfex.ch/muerren-schilthorn/wetter/

Metroblue
http://www.meteoblue.com/en_GB/weather/charts/fourteenday/murren_ch_3091

Meteocentrale
http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/europe/switzerland/weather-muerren/details/N-3515820/

Meteoschweiz
http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/en/weather/detailed_forecast/local_forecasts.html?language=en&plz=3825&x=12&y=12

Weather inversion in the valley with light snow falling on Wengen and Mürren

http://panocam.panomax.at/lauberhorn

http://hoteledelweiss.roundshot.ch/
ski holidays
Mrs T and I going out to Wengen Monday week and meeting her cousins from Canada (who would rather come skiing in Wengen than ski in Canada). Snow forecast looks promising leading up to our arrival. Any comments DG Orf ?
latest report
Weather doing weird stuff this week, warm today, cold tomorrow, positively hot Tuesday to Thursday before temps look like dropping again Friday, educated guess says bot of snow tomorrow (possibly 15cm or a little more) then a few mm of rain look likely on Thursday before light snow showers Saturday and heavier snow on Sunday, long range forecast suggests (it is long range after all) the heaviest snowfalls of the season will start Monday week with snow currently likely every day and up to 60cm (perhaps more) over the week it won't take much to raise the temps a fraction though making it rain instead
ski holidays
Hi folks,
Thought I'd come straight to the oracles with this one - I'm heading to Wengen for the second weekend in Feb for a first trip to the mountains in a decade. I'm a beginner boarder (sorry), but I'm entirely able to negotiate a quieter blue run by self and have had 10 hours of tuition this winter in the MK fridge. As a one-plank bandit who can't, for various reasons, use chairlifts, which runs are going to be best for me to get some serious board time on? I have the grand total of a day and a half on the slopes due to needing to do the tourist run up the Jungfraujoch on the first half day!
latest report
call me dave, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

There are a couple of good long runs that you could do that wouldn't need chair lifts. Take the train to Kleine Scheidegg and then either blue 22 down to Brandegg (train back up to KS) or again from KS, blue 36 back down to Wengen (which gives you access to the blue "bumps" run and the T-bar back up it). Both runs will have some flat bits.

When you get to Brandegg stop at the restaurant and have some apple fritters.
snow report
call me dave, Ray Zorro, says it all, however I should say that for a single plank merchant the run from Kleine Schiedegg to Wengen is very flat in places and you will almost certainly need to walk those bits, the run to Brandegg is probably the best choice, as there will be less walking required, plus the apple fritters are very good snowHead
snow report
good news Good dumping of snow overnight (17cm at village level)..

bad news its getting very warm between Tuesday - Thursday

fingers X for temps to drop and the expected snow to fall next weekend and into the week after.....

David, what do you think?
ski holidays
We are off to Grindelwald on 18 Feb - any recommendations for ski hire - we are staying at the Hotel Belvedere, not sure which is the nearest hire shop either to the hotel or (maybe better) to the station? Any info gratefully received - and is it just me, or does ski hire in Switzerland seem very expensive compared to France - I am guessing its all down to the strength of the Swiss Franc...

eddyr, would love to hear comments on your tobogganing experiences - we have two teenagers with us who will want to have a go
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, see yesterdays post above I was just 2cm out and I said there might be a little more than 15cm Laughing

gamekeeper, I think they are all Intersport agents for ski hire so expect to pay more or less the same price in the whole area, Swiss Franc certainly not helping things

Also worth trying the Eiger run on sledges not done it myself but it seems popular (Train up towards Kleine Schidegg, get off at Alpiglen)
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
call me dave, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

There are a couple of good long runs that you could do that wouldn't need chair lifts. Take the train to Kleine Scheidegg and then either blue 22 down to Brandegg (train back up to KS) or again from KS, blue 36 back down to Wengen (which gives you access to the blue "bumps" run and the T-bar back up it). Both runs will have some flat bits.

When you get to Brandegg stop at the restaurant and have some apple fritters.

Thanks for the welcome Very Happy
In theory I could do chairlifts if they were stopped at the top - originally it was because I'm shambolic at getting off lifts, but I've damaged two ligaments in my back leg knee dismounting/falling off the Poma at Milton Keynes and I really have to avoid the twisting movement I'm prone to when getting off lifts or my physio will disown me!

Bit gutted there's not more opportunity to explore the Murren side, to be honest. Are the reds in general much steeper? For example, I'm looking at the long red 21 on the Grindelwald side or even the long 3 from Mannlichen. I'm a pretty cautious rider but I guess the advantage of one plank over two is that one allows you to chicken out and slide down seriously scary gradient whereas two seems to be far more limited by bravery!
ski holidays
Murren is pretty steep - end of.

If you can do easy reds then the red all the way from Mannlichen to Grund will be fine. Ditto the run down from First / Schrekfeld to the Rancher bar at Grindelwald.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
call me dave, Can also do the run from Eigergletscher or Fallboden down the Grindelwald side, you could go all the way to Grindelwald but below Brandegg it's fairly boring and often can be quite icy so most people prefer to only go as far as Brandegg then go back up on the train from there, you might find that if it's not too busy you can board down to the Holenstein middle station of the Gondola on the Mannlichen and go back up from there, if it's busy you will have to go right down to the bottom.
latest report
Excellent skiing in Wengen today after the overnight snowfall talked about above. Early in the day there was plenty of new snow on the pistes, with loads of untracked powder just off to the side of the pistes - I only fell in the powder twice! Laughing . I didn't have my camera with me whilst skiing, but to show the conditions in town today here's a picture of the Figeller nursery slope:

latest report
Excellent skiing in Wengen today after the overnight snowfall talked about above. Early in the day there was plenty of new snow on the pistes, with loads of untracked powder just off to the side of the pistes - I only fell in the powder twice! Laughing . I didn't have my camera with me whilst skiing, but to show the conditions in town today here's a picture of the Figeller nursery slope:

PS The new Wixi chair is a great improvement over the old 2 man chair it replaces. It's also another of those enter from the side chairs, like the Eigernordwand. Also the new Wixi bridge over the railway line is quite impressive, and being straighter than the old one (which curved round and the snow on it could get a bit rutted ) is also a bit easier to negotiate. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
howdy,
has anyone any experience with this ? :
http://www.swisspasses.com/mobile-internet/

We are off to Wengen in March and we've just spotted this - so was wondering if anyone has either used this or something similar, in and around Wengen ?
ski holidays
gamekeeper, staying at the Belvedere Grindelwald right now- very nice, the food is excellent and the staff all very friendly and helpful.
We hired from Buri Sports which is right by the bus/train station in the centre. Prices are what they are I'm afraid... Minimised by only hiring for 4 days to allow 2 days for other things. We've been leaving the skis at the shop because its only a short walk from the hotel, and you can boot up etc there, then head over to bus or train depending on where you're going. Bit easier I think than dragging everything back to the hotel.

OK as for tobogganing, consider myself a quasi-expert on this front now Wink
The 15km worlds longest run from Faulhorn is an almighty walk from First. 2 and a half hours it took- in blazing sun which was nice but sweat inducing. It's a steep climb, made worse for the fact the restaurant was all shut up when we summitted! Oh well. The run down though was excellent, long and fast. The bottom from bussalp very busy with people who'd just come up on the bus, and not such a great run when compared to the top part. Worth it? Meh... Good to say we did it and a great walk but not especially worth the effort.
The Eiger run is good from Kleine S. , starts with a lot of walking and stop/starts, but once it gets going its excellent fun all the way back to Grindelwald.
My favourite though is going back the other way from Kleine to Wengen. Great undulating run, lots of turns and minimal walking thankfully. Made better by the fact you can hop on the train at the bottom, get back offat Wengernalp and do it again, timed right you can go up and down for hours with minimal waiting for the train!

Good run from Allmenhubel in Murren if you go there, again timed right you can just go up and down all afternoon.

As for me honestly I enjoyed our sledge day more than the skiing so far...!
Yesterday was lots of new snow but it ended up very lumpy once it got tracked out and the sun shone on it.

Today, had flat light up high which was not very nice, then down here in Grindelwald it's raining! Tomorrow set to be very warm so I've changed my skis for some slightly softer ones, probably just have a morning session honestly, we'll see how it goes!
snow report
gamer2471 wrote:
howdy,

We are off to Wengen in March and we've just spotted this - so was wondering if anyone has either used this or something similar, in and around Wengen ?

I can't help on reception in Wengen or anything like that, but the Swisscom site link is here, for a bit more detailed information. It looks like Swisspasses pays the deposit: http://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/internet/internet-on-the-move/swisscom-pocket-connect.html
ski holidays
Just following on briefly- there are tons of sledge runs marked out, but the ones I've mentioned are in my view most worth it. The others on Maenlicchen side just tend to have too much walking. Hey, if you get up early enough no reason you can't do them anyway Smile
The variety of sledge runs really sets this area apart from anywhere else I've been... It provokes so many giggles and impending sense of doom, ie. crash potential. My tip- buy some gaiters. Best money spent keeping snow out of your boots and legs.

On the weather here now- crikey it's warm! +3 degrees up at Wixi around lunchtime today...
snow conditions
gamer2471 wrote:
howdy,

I use this all the time in Wengen (Mifi dongle with a Swisscom SIM). Brilliant. Fast connection and reliable wifi. It's better than a UK ADSL service!
snow conditions
eddyr, I don't toboggan myself (fragile coccyx) but my kids (and partners) love it when we go to Wengen.
They are all in their thirties (going on 15😄) and they are helpless with laughter when recounting their stories in the bar afterwards.
Going to Wengen on Monday for a week and it looks as if it's getting snowy and lot colder. Yippee.
latest report
Brian T, you should be in the thick of it when you arrive !!

I'm just hoping no more rain falls this afternoon before the temps drop Friday
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, the rainfall was only supposed to be light a few mm at most
snow conditions
Rained a lot in Grindelwald last night, all the slopes are pretty soft but actually rather nice to ski on, not lumpy- just soft.
Plenty of people enjoying the smooth snow and flying about at speed! It's only a little too soft down low, but holding up very well all things considered.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy