Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
franga wrote:
Brian T,

Yes, series starts next Sunday at 5PM. Lauberhorn highlights on the 20th.

Sorry guys. Is the race on Sunday the 13th or 20th?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Super Combined Friday the 18th 10.30 start downhill, 14.00 start Slalom 19.00 prize giving

Downhill (the Lauberhorn Race) Saturday 19th 12.30 start 19.00 prize giving

Slalom Sunday 20th 10.15 first run start, 13.15 second run start 15.45 prize giving

Hope that helps, start times can be delayed due to weather conditions as can start locations
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do any of you drive to the Jungfrau region from the uk?
Just wondered what strategy you used? Straight through? Stop over before tunnel? Stop over half way from Calais?
How long does it take, how are the roads? Do they ever get blocked by snow? Do you need any special equipment? Like chains etc?
Where do you park when you arrive? Random thoughts? We were thinking of driving next January, not heard of anyone doing this are we mad? Lol
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
suzysue2, have done before, it's a long way for a single driver to go in a day but not difficult for two drivers if sharing

I drove from near Bournemouth, up to M25 around to M20 then Down to tunnel, on other side easiest way is A26 from Calais to Reims then A4 to Strasbourg, I usually crossed over into Germany there and went down to the Swiss Border that way as it avoids going through the city streets of Basle (very easy if there's roadworks and you miss the tunnel link to the motorway Embarassed ) From Basle take (A2/E25/E35 same road) then (A1/E25) towards Bern, at the Wankdorf (I kid you not) junction at Bern you follow signs for Interlaken A6 (should be a left hand split in the road from memory) Keep on the A6 until Spiez where you switch to the A8 (still towards Interlaken) this takes you along the lakeside and through several short tunnels, at the end of the lake you pass through a slightly longer tunnel and right after that is Junction 25, I think this is signed with both Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen which is where you want to turn off, from hear it will depend on where you are staying but nowhere is much more than 30 mins drive, Either go left for Interlaken or go Right which will take you first to Wilderswil (be careful here as the road has a really sharp right turn followed by an equally sharp left just a 500m or so further on, after Wilderswil you reach Zweilutchinen, here you turn Left for Grindelwald or keep straight on for Lauterbrunnen, I've not driven down to Grindelwald from Wilderswil but the road should be just a gentle climb, likewise to Lauterbrunnen is the same, at Lauterbrunnen if going to Wengen I'd suggest using the Multistory car park adjacent to the station (you turn left for this just before you enter the village itself) if going to Murren you can either park here or down the valley at the other cablecar station, but that one will leave your car exposed to the elements.

For me driving on my own I think it was about 13 hours journey time, I left at 05.30 and arrived about 20.30 local time I think but I was pretty tired, I'd suggest if only a single driver that you stop at Reims, plenty of cheap hotels very close to the motorway there.

French motorways generally very good and fast, German and Swiss ones likewise, keep to the motorways, yes the distance is further but they are much faster (and safer speaking from personal experience).

Get you Motorway Vignette via the Swiss tourist office to save time at Customs, if you have that already there's a very good chance of being waved straight through, if you are stopped make sure you have all the right paperwork for your vehicle, driving licence insurance, regestration docs etc. Also make sure you have all the safety kit, I've only been stopped once but when I was they checked everything to make sure it was all in Ordnung !

The Motorways can get blocked by snow but it will take a lot, they are it seems much better at keeping their roads clear than we are, chances are if the motorways are blocked the airports will be as well.

In exceptional weather the road from Zweilutschinen to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald can be closed due to avalanche risk I've only known this to occur twice in 40 years so very rare, if it does occur leave the car in Interlaken and get the train up
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
suzysue2, Its a bit different for us when we drive as we live in Jersey.

Our journey consists of taking the ferry to St Malo and then driving for 9h 45m covering 637 miles with a night stop.

The only thing i would add from what David has put above is to pre-book a parking space at the Lauterbrunnen Car park
http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/parking/booking

Compulsory equipment by law-
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compulsory_equipment.pdf

why we drive (2 out of the 3 belong to us..lol)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-01-13 20:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, fab info as usual. We've been to Wengen, Grindelwald , Lauterbrunnen & MURREN several times but never thought about driving!
We live in the midlands but have a son in canterbury so was thinking a stop over there on the Friday night then driving straight through the next day. With what you've said this sounds do able. There will be at least 2 of us and maybe 4. I hadn't thought about leaving the car at interlaken but can see that this would be a great idea if weather is bad. ( or even Wilderswill)
Definitely going to look into this further mainly because we'd like to stay 9 or 10 nights and the flights are expensive but not always convenient!
Thanks again. Suzy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
suzysue2, if you are not staying Saturday to Saturday driving might make a lot of sense especially if you only have to go from Canterbury it should be about 10 hours give or take.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yah that's what we thought, we are looking for next year as we'd like to be there for the race and the week leading upto it.
We'd schedule in a stop in canterbury on the way out and way back, catch up with son etc.
just trying to factor in extra insurance for driving in Europe, extra AA cover, vignette, fuel & tunnel etc but still think its more viable than flights as we'd have to drive 80mins to airport then pay £80 to park (ish) 4 flights Then transfer tickets (1st class of course, lol) it also sounds a lt of fun!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
suzysue2, my insurance covered me for the car in Europe so long as it was less than 3 months, however I had to pay an extra £10 or so to add a second driver

Parking in the Multistory in Lauterbrunnen for 10 days is 105.5 Chf this year during winter

Vignette is not dreadfully expensive currently 33 Euros

So it's fuel, tunnel, AA and don't forget French Motorway Tolls but it's probably still cheaper, with up to 3 hour check in times, the possibility of lost luggage and the fact that from Zurich or Geneva airports you'd be looking at a 4 hour transfer (all be it in first class comfort) the journey time may actually be shorter as well !

PS just about all the other parking spots are cheaper than the Multi story at Lauterbrunnen but none are covered which can be very handy if heavy snow falls

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/travel-information/parking/multi-storey-car-park/lauterbrunnen-multi-storey-car-park/

Other car park details there as well
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We always drive and have done for last 20 years. Originally out of convenience but now because we bring our dogs with us. We generally have an overnight stop on the way out but not on the way back. It takes us 12 hours door to door and we live about 30 miles north of London. We wouldn't consider doing it in one day with a single driver. We are pretty disciplined about changing drivers regularly - over the years we have developed a routine where we each drive for 2 hours for first stint then the next stints reduce to say an hour and a half and a third stint would only be an hour or less depending on how far we have left to go. That way we try and compensate as we get tired later in the day.

We have never had any problems with the roads - in fact we used to take snow chains for a previous car but only ever used them in the UK where 1/2 inch of snow brings everywhere to a standstill.

We always use the multi storey at Lauterbrunnen - it may be a bit more expensive but - as already noted - it is undercover so no having to clear snow before you can to come home. Also it is sometimes useful if you want to nip to the car if you are down in Lauterbrunnen to either pick up something up or dump something off.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would echo DGOrf and alisonw44's comments - we drive from Essex, always on a Thursday evening (after work), late evening shuttle on Eurotunnel (cheaper and much less busy) then stay at a hotel at Lille Airport (plenty of choice and close to the motorway). That avoids the 5am start for a non-stop run from home and gives plenty of time for the 8 hour drive from Lille (9 from Calais) in daylight.
We avoid the French toll roads and stay in Belgium, fill up with the cheapest fuel in Europe in Luxembourg then south through Metz and Nancy and across the Vosges to Colmar. That saves €44 in tolls for only an extra 10 km - and adds the bonus of a full tank of diesel at 99.5ppl!
The only time we used the peyage was when it was snowing and they were the only(French) roads clear - Swiss motorways are about as good as you can get - you cannot use snowchains on the MWays so they have to keep them clear. Avoid peak season saturdays if you can as half of northern europe (Dutch?) seem to be on the move south/north with roof boxes and skiracks Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's been no recent snow (although some forecast in the next week). The good thing is that temps are falling again. Does anyone have first hand reports how the Pistes are holding up. We are going 1st week in February so hopefully more snow due by then. DG Orf - what do you think.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Little bit of snow tomorrow maybe probably only 5 to at most 10cm then very light snow on and off from Sunday until Tuesday but only a dusting, temps will be significantly colder Friday and Saturday next week look like giving a good dollop of snow perhaps another 20cm or so
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf,

We are staying in Murren over the Lauberhorn weekend and are planning to ski in Murren (our only ski day as we're there mainly to enjoy the DH and the other races) on Friday next week - any tips on runs / areas (wife and I are strong intermediates / cautious experts). Should we attempt the Schilthorn run?

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sherlockis wrote:
I would echo DGOrf and alisonw44's comments - we drive from Essex, always on a Thursday evening (after work), late evening shuttle on Eurotunnel (cheaper and much less busy) then stay at a hotel at Lille Airport (plenty of choice and close to the motorway). That avoids the 5am start for a non-stop run from home and gives plenty of time for the 8 hour drive from Lille (9 from Calais) in daylight.
We avoid the French toll roads and stay in Belgium, fill up with the cheapest fuel in Europe in Luxembourg then south through Metz and Nancy and across the Vosges to Colmar. That saves €44 in tolls for only an extra 10 km - and adds the bonus of a full tank of diesel at 99.5ppl!
The only time we used the peyage was when it was snowing and they were the only(French) roads clear - Swiss motorways are about as good as you can get - you cannot use snowchains on the MWays so they have to keep them clear. Avoid peak season saturdays if you can as half of northern europe (Dutch?) seem to be on the move south/north with roof boxes and skiracks Sad

Do any of you do Calais, Gent, Brussels, Aaachen and then down through Germany?
We plan to stay off the French tolls and thought the extra speed on the autobahn would make up the the dod leg to Aaachen and down.

Thanks
ski holidays
franga wrote:
D G Orf,
We are staying in Murren over the Lauberhorn weekend and are planning to ski in Murren (our only ski day as we're there mainly to enjoy the DH and the other races) on Friday next week - any tips on runs / areas (wife and I are strong intermediates / cautious experts). Should we attempt the Schilthorn run?
Many thanks

Franga,it all depends on the weather on the day where you go to be honest but if its a good weather day then its a must. I would suggest catching the an early car upto Birg and doing a few warm up runs there and then go up to the Schilthorn. Once you have done that you can continue skiing aroung Birg or ski back down and do either Winteregg or the Schilgrat. Both other areas have fast chairs and plenty of long blues/reds to keep you happy.

I would suggest either of the following

Schilthornhutte (excellent homemade soup with amazing views to boot while eating)
Winteregg (Superb homemade Rostis)
Sonnenberg (lovely homemade cakes )
Hotel Jungfrau Sun Terrace (all the above)

New HD 360 webcam now in Mürren village : http://hoteledelweiss.roundshot.ch/

See below the piste map
snow conditions
franga, Chris is the Murren expert I guess I'm the Wengen expert since that's where I spend more time, if Chris says a place in Murren is good then I won't disagree snowHead
latest report
They're building the bar on the Eigerhubel again, there goes our view for the next couple of weeks..

http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml
latest report
Bargain holiday to hotel eiger with Inghams on net at moment, £525 half board 2nd feb for 7 nights! From birmingham, not checked other airports.
ski holidays
Hotel Eiger, Murren
latest report
Just had a text...its nowing bigtime in Mürren !!
ski holidays
Overnight it has snowed over 30cm in both Mürren and Wengen and more today.
ski holidays
Thats nice they got more than I was predicting Shocked Smile
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Thats nice they got more than I was predicting Shocked Smile

enough to dive into !!

latest report
Jerby : Do any of you do Calais, Gent, Brussels, Aaachen and then down through Germany?
We plan to stay off the French tolls and thought the extra speed on the autobahn would make up the the dod leg to Aaachen and down.

We've only done it once when there was a problem on the main E25 down to Metz, we kept north to Liege then down past Trier and Kauserlauternen to pick up the E35 to Strasbourg. It's a very long way round and no faster per mile than the non-toll French M-Ways from Luxembourg via Metz. There were large numbers of Dutch, Germans & Belgians on the run down from Karlsruhe/ Strasbourg to Basel which makes the journey much slower than it should be. Not much of the autobahn in that area is de-restricted anyway, so doesn't really make a difference. The best way to keep the journey time down is to minimise the stops and just keep going.
Try an Itinerary on mappy.com, Calais to Basel, avoiding Tolls (you can't avoid the M-way tolls in Switzerland - that really does add hours to your journey- 4hrs to Interlaken from Basel rather than 90 mins)
snow report
We always come down the French side of the Rhine on the non toll motorways and then cross onto the German side just north of Basel (at Village Neuf) - then you join the autobahn about 1/2 mile north of the Swiss customs post and don't get caught up in the souhbound queues you sometimes get at the border - particularly at the weekends
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, D G Orf,
Yippee, it's cold, with nice fresh snow,
Great for skiing as we all know.
But, Wengen or Murren, the choice isn't funny,
I'd opt for Wengen where the slopes are sunny.
Murren's ok but quite expensive,
Wengen's pistes are a bit more extensive!

Sorry Chris

Very Happy snowHead Laughing
latest report
LOL Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Im ignoring Brian now for a few days(lol)
snow report
Brian T, Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's a shame I'm afraid that I can't be there
enjoying that lovely cold crisp air
but I'm poor with no work and no end in sight
so instead I sit here and with daily might
struggle with forecasts of snow for those whose plight
is to struggle with skis on mountain trains
whilst desperately waiting for winter rains
to change to snow as it did today
so they can enjoy their holidays
latest report
D G Orf,
I bow in awe at your poetic skill
Just sad that you miss out on ski- sourced thrill.
While lack of work is surely crap
And lack of funds an awful trap
We know there's no one any better
or more skillful at telling Wengen's weather.
Your wise advice on Jungfrau places
has brought a smile to new friends' faces.
Lets hope that business gets on better track
And the cry goes up "David's back!"
snow report
Fantastic weather in the region today. I wont bore you with too many pictures showing how good it is as this says it all...thanks for sharing so called friends in Mürren...rub salt a !!

skiing in Winteregg : http://ps.bloglounge.ch/
snow report
About 20cm of fresh this morning up at Kleine Scheidegg . Visability poor.

Pistes dead. Pistes to your selves. It's fab.
latest report
We should pin it to the top of the list for all time
ski holidays
Meteo Swiss forecasting heavy snow for Saturday in Wengen - of course it may change (and it probably will) but does anyone know if the Lauberhorn has ever been cancelled because of heavy snowfall?

Thanks
snow conditions
franga, I can't recall if it's ever been cancelled due to heavy snow, but it has been shortened before with a lower start position, it has been cancelled due to there being too little snow if I recall correctly. Which is why Wengen got its first snow making facilities.
snow report
Other forecasts suggest light snow Saturday rather than heavy but we shall wait and see, the reamains of this week looks like being cold with several days light to medium snowfall
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
I guess I'm the Wengen expert since that's where I spend more time

Dear Wengen expert Happy

Is Wengen usually still skiable into mid April? I'm considering 10-14/04 this year...it looks like a lovely place to go, but there seem to be conflicting reports on April skiing there, so I searched the site for "Wengen expert" and got this thread, hope you can provide the definitive answer!

Cheers,

-simon
ski holidays
Light snowfall on Monday created another 5cm in both villages and over 20cm on the upper !!

Murren village 115cm / 240cm @ 2360m Very Happy
snow report
Szymon, in recent years late snow has meant often excellent conditions well beyond the point when they switch the lifts off for the season, however Wengen is a relatively low resort and conditions can change suddenly especially at the end of the season, a couple of days of rain can totally trash the slopes and this is not unheard of in April.

It is however a lovely place to go and assuming the snow is good will be great in April, I'd leave it as long as possible before making an April booking no matter where you plan to go, when skiing in April you get longer hotter days so you really want to be on the slopes earlier in the morning and finish earlier in the afternoon for the best conditions, use the south facing slopes earlier in the day and leave the north facing ones till later where the snow will be better, for Wengen in April I'd stay clear of the Lauberhorn after about 2pm as its south facing slopes often get very heavy and instead use the slopes between Kleine Scheidegg and the Mannlichen where the snow will tend to be fresher
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy