Warning: file_get_contents(https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.json?url=https://vimeo.com/53746362&width=640): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /var/www/html/ski-forum/includes/xtrafunctions.php on line 3631
Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2 (17), snowHeads ski forum
 Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
True, we had a glorious weekend in the village last November:

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pictures of the snow in Mürren today -

Thanks to Eiger Guesthouse

and Eiger Hotel for sharing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
19c at Gimmelwald today...but they say it could snow next weekend ?!

thanks for Patrick for sharing http://www.pearsonstyle.com/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Brookes, entirely possible I can remember a weekend in August where on the Friday it was 31C on the lakes at Interlaken and by Sunday lunch time there was 8 inches of snow at Kleine Scheidegg, but I really don't expect snow to stay around until we get well into November and possibly not till December
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf wrote:
Chris Brookes, entirely possible I can remember a weekend in August where on the Friday it was 31C on the lakes at Interlaken and by Sunday lunch time there was 8 inches of snow at Kleine Scheidegg, but I really don't expect snow to stay around until we get well into November and possibly not till December

This happened this year too at August bank holiday weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Think my one was the weekend after August bank holiday but it seemed quite amazing with the temperature change, much more pleasant waling up to Kleine Scheidegg in the snow than sitting on a lake steamer in the oppressive heat there wasn't even a breath of air on the lake that day
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
view from Mürren today, above the clouds.

snow for this weekend with the FL dropping down to 900m...it all about how much snow will fall now (until the temps rise and it all melts...lol)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hugo Harrisson in Mürren, Switzerland: Behind the Scenes of Warren Millers latest film 'Flow State'

http://youtube.com/v/Dr6KLBT7cow
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing down to Wengen again today but I don't expect it to last yet, nice to see though Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
all the way to Lauterbrunnen Madeye-Smiley

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mürren currently

Thanks to Ema for sharing at http://www.eigerguesthouse.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Of course someone will now come along and ask if this is a sign of it being a bumper season, the answer is that at this time it's too early to say, if as is likely the snow melts before the next snowfall then the answer is that it's too early to say, in the unlikely event that the snow stays and is covered by more snow then the best I could say is that it will provide a good base, getting early snow (even if it all melts) is still good as it helps to take some of the ground surface temps down, this means that when you get significant snow fall it tends to settle much faster and build to deeper depths.

The deepest I can recall in Wengen was about 4 feet of snow lying in the village, but my parents could recall a year when there was so much snow that the high street was a single roughly 4 foot wide trench between walls of snow that went over their heads (my dad was 6ft 4) I don't think that would happen these days as they have snow blowers etc for clearing the road.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's not a sign of anything at all. Two years ago (infamous 2010/2011 season) in Valais it snowed lots October/November and a bit in December and then this was it. And in 2008/2009 it didn't snow till mid-January and then it snowed every week till June. To me this weekend's snow is a reminder that winter is on its way but definitelly not a promise of winter being particularly snowy and fanstastic snow conditions. We can only hope.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
never summer, As I said previously chances are it will be gone in a couple of days Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, freezing level is going up to 2500 meters by Friday. So couple sunny days and it will be all gone below this mark.
ski holidays
Looks like a coooold week at Scheidegg

latest report
Snow catches Swiss unawares

MeteoSwiss described as “unusual”, the onset of the winter conditions in October in the plateau, although the same thing occurred in 2008 and 2003. But averaged over a long period the first snow usually falls in the second half of November in this area.

It said that in a few locations the record for the amount of snow in October had been broken. This included the capital, Bern, where records have been kept since 1931. It had received eight centimetres by Sunday morning. Bern’s previous record for October dates back to 1939, with seven centimetres.

The snow started on Saturday, and has continued to fall. The Swiss plateau received about ten centimetres overnight. In some places above 500-600 metres there had been up to 20 cm, MeteoSwiss said.

It explained that the air masses that reached Switzerland on the night of Saturday to Sunday had lain over the Arctic Ocean only four days before.

full article : http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_news/Snow_catches_Swiss_unawares.html?cid=33830010
latest report
The view from Wengen today looking down into Lauterbrunnen valley

temps have started to rise Sad

thanks for sharing http://www.swissalpineretreat.com
latest report
There are a couple of properties in Wengen I'd be very happy to own, one of them is the little Chalet on the Left of this picture, it must be rarely used though because in all my time going to Wengen I think I've only ever seen the shutters folded back a couple of times. Shame as the views from there are amazing.
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
There are a couple of properties in Wengen I'd be very happy to own, one of them is the little Chalet on the Left of this picture, it must be rarely used though because in all my time going to Wengen I think I've only ever seen the shutters folded back a couple of times. Shame as the views from there are amazing.

amazing views indeed
latest report
New attraction planned for Summer 2013 at the Schilthorn : 007 Bond World
Schilthornbahn plans for the summer 2013 season the opening of the 007th BOND WORLD This indoor attraction arises in today Touristorama on an area of ​​around 400m2 and includes an interactive, regularly changing exhibitions and a cinema. At the same time the issue will have on the way up to Schilthorn and on the terrace of the Piz Gloria a visible role.
Christoph Egger, Director of the Schilthorn, the BOND WORLD 007 is the first project of a comprehensive multi-year plan: "We want the next 5 years, the attractiveness of our excursion destination Schilthorn - increase Piz Gloria in the center of attractiveness are two threads. One topic is the best view of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau, the staging of this summit. the Schilthorn provides the Alpine region by far the best views. The second theme is James Bond 007th this topic we want to revive expand significantly and. At the moment, the guest, with the expectation of the Schilthorn, travels to learn about James Bond, nor disappointed. etc. We want to change with the BOND WORLD 007th "
snow report
Webcam from a different angle in Interlaken -

ski holidays
Very excited. Booking now for Wengen in February, and then again at the end of the season. Very Happy
snow report
Mürren yesterday (playground opposite Sports Centre)

http://www.mymuerren.ch/
snow conditions
New webcams (html5 woohoo!)

http://panocam.panomax.at/lauberhorn

http://panocam.panomax.at/firstbahn
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
New webcams (html5 woohoo!)

http://panocam.panomax.at/lauberhorn

http://panocam.panomax.at/firstbahn

Excellent find Mike, i can see Mürren and Grütschalp from the Lauberhorn webcam and see the snowline just ending below Grütschalp.
latest report
Except that the one called Lauberhorn actually looks much more like the top of the new Wixi lift! What marvellous quality of picture though - brilliant
snow conditions
Well the New Lauberhorn chairlift is working, just seen someone going up on it at 10.30 local time

I do love these ultra high res cameras, you can even download the images at silly resolution 10,768 x 2048 From the Lauberhorn
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
countryman wrote:
Except that the one called Lauberhorn actually looks much more like the top of the new Wixi lift! What marvellous quality of picture though - brilliant

The Wixi lift arrives at what is called 'Lauberhornschulter' - Lauberhorn schoulder. So the name is not too far off. Its the bottom of old wixi/fallboden that is called Wixi. New wixi starts quite a lot further down I am told, but its not reflected on the maps.
snow conditions
Technically Neither the Wixi or Lauberhorn lifts go to the top of the Lauberhorn, they stop below the peak, the Lauberhorn follows the line of the Original Lauberhorn lift which was a drag lift, if you look down from your chair as you go up the mountain you can still see traces of its path where they had to cut a gap in the rocks, the new Lauberhorn web cam is indeed on the top of the new Wixi upper station which is just slightly higher than the top of the old lift, but probably the reason it's called the Lauberhorn web cam is because you can see both the Lauberhorn Peak and the Start Hut for the Lauberhorn Downhill race.

The picture quality from both these new cameras and the one at the hotel Bellvue in Wengen is superb best of all they have archive facility and you can download the images for free, you could actually have these printed as quite nice prints, with a large format inkjet you could go as big as 107 x 20 inches and have a good picture or on a high quality photo printer about half that or crop down for a narrower image, it gives a great picture at dawn and dusk if you can get a shot at the right time
latest report
Between 5 and 10cm of Fresh snow so far this morning on the Lauberhorn sadly it's raining below Wengeralp and judging from the Forecast even the Snow at the Lauberhorn won't last till the end of the week with warmer temps forecast for the next 5 days along with Sunny weather.

Long range forecasts currently suggest a possible change in weather from the 21st with an increase in precipitation and a decrease in temperatures, with the possibility of snow at resort level from the 24th and at higher levels such as Kleine Scheidegg from the 21st as always with my long term forecasts there's a little guesswork in this especially this early, pre season starting, it is highly unlikely that there will be sufficient snow to open at the weekends for skiing at any time before the 25th as my most optimistic figures would indicate no more than 45-50 cm at higher levels, to safely open there needs to be closer to 70cm as a minimum and 90 cm is better
ski holidays
Long range forecasts still suggesting fine weather for at least another week with resort temps as high as 10C however it still looks as if a significant change in the weather will occur around the 21st with temps gradually dropping to sub 0C by about the 25th at the moment it's about 50:50 as to weather the higher slopes will get rain or snow starting on the 21st, my guess is that the Lauberhorn will probably get snow but that below Wengeneralp will almost certainly get rain, after the 25th it should be sufficiently cold that everywhere will get snow
snow conditions
A couple of weeks ago someone posted a link to reduced price lift passes , I don't suppose anyone knows it? I can't find it now! 😞Thanks
snow report
Found it!

http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/skipass

When you load details in it shows the normal price but s you go through to purchase it discounts them. €314 down tov €251,
latest report
Tried to buy one for Xmas - no discount Sad
ski holidays
telford_mike, Yes the discount varies with date - I got the 6 day Jungfrau Region skipass in January for 154CHF, half the normal price of 314CHF Madeye-Smiley (note to suzysue2 - the price you quoted is in CHF, not Euros, and the current tourist rate for CHF is approx 1.5CHF to the pound)
latest report
Ah yeah, I realised after I hit send, doh! I put the 6 days in for Xmas and the discount was there.
snow conditions
You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, you can edit your posts by clicking on the scissors icon on the right hand side of your post.
snow report
Small hike above Wengen and then flying down to Lauterbrunnen

https://vimeo.com/53746362
Thanks to Pädel for sharing http://www.pearsonstyle.com/
snow conditions
Hi all - thanks for the info above about cheaper Skipasses.

Can someone tell me if the 'Hiking and Sledging Pass' on this site :
http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/skipass

is the same as the 'Wengen Sport Pass (ski lift passes)' on this site :
http://www.swisspasses.com/index.htm

it's
£157 p/person on shop.junfrau
v's
£179 p/person on swisspases

so want to make 100% sure - can anyone advise ?
(we are only Sledging and Walking from March 16th for 6 days)

thanks for any help / assurance / info ! Happy

***update.. could we use just a SKI PASS ?... for sledging and hiking ?...( i know it's wishful thinking) as that's coming in on shop.jungfrau @ CHF 157 !! (£105)
do you get the jungfrau region trains on a SKI PASS ? or is it just the gondolas / ski lifts / cable cars ?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 20-11-12 14:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy