Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Webcam at the Bellevue in Wengen

http://www.bellevue-wengen.ch/webcam-wengen.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a beauty eh? Shame it doesn't work on fruit-based devices.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
telford_mike wrote:

vey true rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike wrote:

Works fine on my Windows laptop... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Brookes, you can even see the outdoor model railway in the back garden of the hotel Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf wrote:
Chris Brookes, you can even see the outdoor model railway in the back garden of the hotel Laughing

I did wonder what that was at the beginning Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only trouble with the Bellevue is that it's a long way from the center, I suppose that one could possibly ski out the hotel and Down to Wangwald station in the morning but going back with ski boots in the afternoon it would be a long walk, I guess the alternative would be leaving the kit in Central Sport overnight which would be easy enough and the views from the hotel are great, probably the best in the resort
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Medial Scenography at the Jungfraujoch....it looks amazing !

To realise the seamless 360° shots TMS developed and conceived their own unique camerasystem which enables to produce with a resolution of 17.720 x 1080 pixels.
Panoramaprojection: 7 projectors with 13.056 x 1080 pixels resolution
Projectionarea: 170 qm
Size Sphinxhall: 24 m x 11 m x 5,5 m

Tamschick Media + Space / Jungfraubahnen AG / Sphinx Hall Jungfraujoch / 2012 from Tamschick Media+Space GmbH
https://vimeo.com/44254359
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some of Warren Miller´s latest film Flow State was filmed above and around Mürren

http://youtube.com/v/UVQZ_oUwsbw
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Construction of the Wixi bridge to support the 6 seater chairlift above Wengen

Picture taken by - http://www.caprice-wengen.ch/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blimey. Looks like a motorway bridge! Will be there next month so I'll get an update. I walked over the old bridge last November before the snow came - it was so ricketty it felt like I was taking my life in my hands! Couldn't help thinking about it every time I skiied over it last season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
telford_mike, I can recall walking over it more than 10 years ago in the summer and thinking the same, I assume they must have just replaced the wooden bits when they had to, I have to say I'm a bit concerned given the width of that bridge as to how they will get snow under it, they already have issues with getting snow under the racetrack bridge at the bottom of Bumps and that is a much smaller bridge
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
More picture have now been posted by http://www.caprice-wengen.ch with the following stated-

Construction of the NEW 6-seater chairlift @ Wixi is well underway in Wengen for the Winter 2012/13 Ski Season. The new chairlift serving Lauberhorn will apparently adorn a yellow weather protection hood adding to the already colourful range of orange hoods at Eiger Nordwand. As well as constructing a base station and summit port, a new bridge is being built over the railway to accommodate the increase of skiers and snowboarders in the area. The new 6-seater chairlift will take 1,800 skiers/snowboarders per hour.

Thanks again http://www.caprice-wengen.ch

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 19-07-12 8:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah I think I think I see, they've made a new path that goes around the base of the bridge and as you come off of the bridge it looks as if you will be facing uphill so the bridge will not cross the blue piste but it will be significantly larger than before

I'm not sure but it might be a little further up the hill than it used to be, difficult to tell from the angles the photos have been taken from

Certainly the larger capacity lift will please all those who spend all day on the Lauberhorn
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting. A 6 seater at only 1800/hr, that is pretty much what all the 4 seaters in the area do.
Only 360 up from the 1440 2 seater Wixi was rated for!
snow report
Kind of makes sense, I suspect the 6 seater will help reduce the queues at the bottom more rapidly which is what people complain about the most, now if they could just make peace between the owners of the Lauberhorn Chairlift and those who own the land just below before it becomes due for replacement then finally we might get rid of the stupid up hill climb from the station to the lift, all they need to do then is swap Tschuggen for a chairlift (don't expect that to happen soon) and I would be very happy. The only other thing would be to somehow get rid of the last few yards of climb up to the Mannlichen Cablecar, I've always been surprised that they didn't stick in a small elevator there such as one finds in shopping centers, it would make going back to Wengen from the Mannlichen so much easier at the end of the day
snow conditions
I thought going back a year or so Jungfrau railways had bought out the Lauberhorn chairlift.

As you say, we will wait years for the Tschuggen and the Fallboden, which you don't mention, to be sorted but the new Wixi and the Eigernordwand
make a nice circuit avoiding the Fallboden.
snow conditions
I only ever used Fallboden to get to Salzegg. With Salzegg gone, there is no reason at all to use Fallboden.

Not sure new Wixi would do too much for mid term queue's. What would relieve it is swap Fallboden for something quick (like the old 2 man Wixi Very Happy )
ski holidays
Ronald, I suspect Fallboden will never be very quick, it's always been an issue on that lift as the wind hits you straight in the face 90% of the time, maybe if they put one of those new hooded chairs on it they might get the speed up, but to be fair many going up Wixi would perhaps not be up to doing the Fallboden routes, they like gentle cruising down an easy red in the sun rather than in the shade of the Eiger.
snow report
Fallboden will be replaced in the next couple of years by a lift from Wixi to Eigergletscher. We are also promised a new blue piste from Eigergletscher down towards Wixi, as the only existing options are Schwarzen, Oh God and Black Rock (all blacks).

Got this from a (prominent) Jungfraubahn official at a do we had last season. Agree with David though, Tschuggen would be my top priority.
ski holidays
Patrick speedflying from the Schilthorn down to Stechelberg
18.07.12 Speedflying Schilthorn from Patrick Pearson
https://vimeo.com/46044561

Thanks to Patrick at http://www.pearsonstyle.com/ for sharing
latest report
telford_mike, Not sure how they'd manage a blue piste down from Eigergletscher towards Wixi, Red maybe but Blue ?

Someone told me years ago that replacing Tschuggen with a chair had been discussed but they had decided not to for some technical reason which I can't remember, still we can but hope they change their minds as they did with the 3 way junction we now have at Arvengarten
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
telford_mike, Not sure how they'd manage a blue piste down from Eigergletscher towards Wixi, Red maybe but Blue ?

Agreed. It's a big drop from 2300m down to about 1700, and no real way to avoid the big drop at Oh God. Can't go above the existing Black Rock piste along the moraine either. Cut a path above the top of Fallboden by the railway gallery maybe?
snow conditions
The trick would be making a blue from Eigergletscher to Fallboden, I think if you could get down to there it would be possible to make some sort of blue from Fallboden down to the bottom of Wixi but it wouldn't be easy, of course you already have a blue from Fallboden down to Arvengarten

Adding an extra blue run or two especially if nice and long would add to the area as far as beginners are concerned and handy when there's no snow lower down
snow report
Its blue skies and 22c here in Jersey today and love looking at the live webcam at the Jungfraujoch when its completely the opposite -
http://www.feratel.com/webcams-wetter/schweiz/lauterbrunnen-jungfraujoch.html
ski holidays
bit of James Bond On Her Majesty's Secret Service at Piz-Gloria

http://youtube.com/v/3PDRpvAh_Us
latest report
more pictures regarding the new 6-seater chairlift @ Wixi -

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=618&start=600
snow conditions
And bubbles on the Lauberhorn chair by the looks of it Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The new bridge over the railway at Wixi wouldn't look out of place if it was on the M6!

snow report
telford_mike, I'm guessing that since they were rebuilding the Wixi and had all that heavy equipment up there anyway that they figured to rebuild the bridge good enough to last at least 50 years with minimal maintenance work, by making it so much wider it should significantly reduce accidents and I suspect reduce speeds where the Wixi Red crosses the Rat Run from Kl Scheidegg, I'm guessing they will landscape the crossing point once they are finished to make it a bit safer as well
ski holidays
D G Orf, i cannot tell from the photo but the size may be due to the fact that the bridge is over the railway and the rat run. It would make sense to do this as it would dEAL with the accidents at this spot.
snow report
riverman, I thought that at first But I've now changed my mind, I think what they are doing is placing it further to the uphill side of the track if you look at the 18th July pic from Chris you should see what I mean, I agree that putting the bridge over both would have solved the problem, but I now suspect the bridge is going to be up to 5 times the width of the old bridge which would make getting snow under it to go on the rat run difficult, they have enough problems where the race track crosses over below Bumps

By making the bridge so much wider and I suspect not having the sharp right uphill turn to get onto it, I think they will improve flow and safety
snow report
D G Orf,Time will tell but i think the bridge is wide so they can have one long piste down to Wixi without the need to stop as before. To do this the rat run would have to be under the bridge. I dont think getting snow under the bridge would be a problem, there are three Armco tunnels in the area which they keep a snow surface with no problems. It will be interesting to see what the outcome will be, will see if any information is avaiable elsewhere.
ski holidays
Walked past it again today, they're really getting on with things. Also, new pipework has been installed on the home run as it passes Cafe Oberland, so presumably we'll be getting better artificial snow along there.

Super week of walking, went over to Sulwald a few days ago. They have a tiny cable car. It can take 8 people, or 1 cow.

latest report
Not long now before the winter season starts again..... snowHead snowHead
snow report
Its currently snowing down to 2200m Exclamation (i know it won't stay but its lovely to see)

Looking good on the live webcams-

Schilthorn
http://www.feratel.com/webcams-wetter/schweiz/muerren-schilthorn.html

Männlichen
http://www.feratel.com/webcams-wetter/schweiz/wengen-maennlichen.html

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 31-08-12 8:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Amazing. It was +25 at Mannlichen / Scheidegg this time last week Smile
snow report
Several years ago (more than 10 thinking about it) I walked up to Kleine Scheidegg from Wengen, in early August or Late July, as I left Wengen it was light rain, by the time I got to Allmend it had changed to snow and at Kleine Schidegg there was 8 inches (20cm) of snow on the ground, just a few days earlier it had been 30+C on Lake Brienz with not a breath of air, a few days later and the snow had all vanished Sad
ski holidays
The FL dropped over night to bring a dusting of snow to Mürren

A picture of the Hotel Eiger mascot, George.

picture from : www.hoteleiger.com
snow report
Twitter anyone .... @murrenlover wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy