Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
D G Orf, This is turning out to be one of the snowiest seasons for many years. Can't remember the last time the tourist office reported 80cm in the village (as this morning). 1999 was the last time I guess.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Murren tourism are currently stating 180cm in the village. Apart from end of Feb 2009 when they had 150cm I can't remember such depths in the village.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
telford_mike, think you may be right, in '99 the snow didn't fall in force till the middle of Feb and we haven't got that far yet Shocked

So long as the snow doesn't fall in huge dumps the avalanche threat will be less than it was in '99 provided it has time to settle, potentially this looks like it could be a really fantastic season for skiers, just a shame that the exchange rate is so dire at the moment.

I can remember some time in the early to mid '70s when we had about 60cm of snow overnight in the village on Christmas eve.

I've also seen the old pics of Wengen with several meters of snow in the village but that's not happened in my lifetime so far as I can recall
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, I do value your snow forecasts, which are usually right on the button. What I don't understand is how Snow-forecast.com is showing only minimum snow fall for the next week. Where do you get your forecasts from - or are they your own interpretation of raw data from met sites allied with examining the entrails of sacrificial victims who have strayed over from Murren? (Sorry Chris Very Happy )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brian T, I analyse the raw data and then adjust for best guess based on how weather typically performs in the area.

As an example if I know that the weather has been warm I will anticipate that precipitation falling at lower levels is likely to be rain whilst at higher levels it may well be snow, depending on the ambient temps it may be wet snow for which you can roughly say that 1mm or predicted rainfall will give 1cm (or slightly less) of snow, or it may be drier powder snow where it will be more than 1cm of snow perhaps almost 2cm for 1mm of predicted rain, I check the local forecasts every day and the live cameras and temp reports from Mannlichen and Schilthorn, I combine this with the raw data from the Air Resources Laboratory which gets its data from NOAA, I find the ARL has the best predictions, but they are not always right, you never get 100% accuracy in the Alps because the mountains can cause strange effects on the weather, my limited skill is interpreting the data and then making a best guess, I'm always surprised at just how close to the mark I seem to get.

P.S I only sacrifice victims to ensure good snow, I had a desperate request at the start of the season for an urgent supply of snow and I suspect I may have found an ideal sacrifice based on how well it seems to have worked this year Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
P.P.S. Snow forecast seem to be completely useless at predicting snowfall for Wengen I have no idea why though Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf wrote:
P.P.S. Snow forecast seem to be completely useless at predicting snowfall for Wengen I have no idea why though Confused

I can echo that, I used to take out a quarter's subs in December just to keep an eye on the longer-range picture. Not any more, they can't even get the 2-day forecast right! We know that there are big variations between the resorts even within the Jungfrau region, so I suppose that we shouldn't expect much out of their 'regional' model. Confused
I can recommend their Ski Map goggle-wiper cloth though, better than a soggy paper map Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sherlockis, now all you have to do is come on here and ask Laughing

Hmmz maybe I should charge I seem to be more accurate than pretty much everyone else Laughing Laughing Laughing

If anyone is feeling especially generous I wouldn't say no to a 2012 Jungfrau Railways calendar they have great pictures in a large format and I suspect a few will be of the JB this year as it's the centenary of Jungfraujoch station opening Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf wrote:

If anyone is feeling especially generous I wouldn't say no to a 2012 Jungfrau Railways calendar they have great pictures in a large format and I suspect a few will be of the JB this year as it's the centenary of Jungfraujoch station opening Embarassed

I've had one on my kitchen wall for the last 10 years (present from my mother who visits every August - Swiss National Day). It has prompted two sets of friends to join us on our annual family ski trip to the region, both as first-time visitors to Switzerland, the latest this coming February!
This year only 2 pictures of the JB train - Feb & Aug, and a Jungfraujoch picture in April.
For any regular visitors, if you have stayed in the region for more than 10 years (registering with the Guest Card (Gaste Karte?) in the Hotel) you can apparently collect a free calendar at the Tourist office. Certainly works for Interlaken and Rinngenberg, not 100% sure about Wengen/Murren or Grindelwald.
David - for 'services to Wengen/Jungfrau Tourism' you should get a gold-plated copy hand-delivered to you! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sherlockis,
Quote:

David - for 'services to Wengen/Jungfrau Tourism' you should get a gold-plated copy hand-delivered to you!

You'd think so wouldn't you, but sadly not Sad

Oh and I have had my 25 years a true guest presentation many years ago, no calendar though Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arriving in Wengen tomorrow cannot wait to try out all that lovely snow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
riverman wrote:

Have a fantastic time...looks amazing right now !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its snowing again !!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just downloaded the SC12 ski race app onto my IPad. Fantastic but I can't complete the Wengen downhill without crashing! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brian T wrote:
Just downloaded the SC12 ski race app onto my IPad. Fantastic but I can't complete the Wengen downhill without crashing! snowHead

If you have Apple TV, airplay it onto the telly and just use the ipad as a controller - it's a lot easier!
ski holidays
Riverman.

You lucky devil. Enjoy yourself with all that snow it looks fantastic Sad Blush . I can't make it this year totally gutted! Spent too much on the house and my wife is not related to Lord Sugar !!--
snow conditions
riverman wrote:

So, you've been there 3 days - what's it like??

I've added the Grindelwald webcams from the Belvedere onto the time-lapse site. Great for watching the train movements in and out of the stations
http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/weather-Grindelwald-Webcam/1048-Webcam-Grindelwald-weather.php#
http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/weather-Grindelwald-Webcam/1049-Webcam-Grindelwald-weather.php#
http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/weather-Grindelwald-Webcam/1050-Webcam-Grindelwald-weather.php#

yep, another slow day in the office wink
snow report
69. Internationale Inferno-Rennen Mürren 2012 flashback

http://youtube.com/v/tQUzw31tnzI
latest report
I have jus read on the DHO blog that a few members were skiing off-piste at Sprockets Hole and Macs Leap. Can anyone alleviate my ignorance. Where are Sprockets Hole and Mac's Leap Puzzled
snow report
Yippee. Going to wengen with the family at end of March......BUT have just persuaded Mrs T that we really should sneak in a few days extra ourselves So we are booked on 20 th Feb for 4 days snowHead snowHead
I know I'm a lucky bunny!!!!
snow conditions
Brian T, I posted about Sprockets Hole on page 7 of this thread, quote "Yesterday I skied with a DHO group led by Sheridan, and she found plenty of nice off piste snow - one area which I hadn't done before was I think called "Sprocket's Hole" (just near the top of the Fallboden lift - I'm sure DG Orf will confirm if I've got the name right) and although there were many tracks on it there was still plenty of untracked snow."
As you probably know when you get off the top of the Fallboden chair you can take a short rope tow and then go slightly uphill through a short tunnel (I think this goes underneath the Jungfraujoch rail line). Once past the tunnel you reach a signpost where the piste coming down from Eigergletscher comes in. From this point the Sprockets Hole off piste is just off to the left.
I don't know where Mac's Leap is - I'm sure D G Orf will know though.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, Macs leap is below the bottom of Tschuggen lift, I think from memory it's a route off to the left of the Ladies Downhill race course, but I may well be wrong about this, it is a very long time since I did it
snow report
Alistair

Yep Mac's leap is near the bottom of the Tschuggen but I am the same as DG -its a few years since I have skied it . As far as I can recall it's quite challenging? Any way enjoy the skiing.
latest report
I've clipped a couple of pages out of one of the DHO journals and stuck them together. This shows the colloquial names for a lot of the runs:

Bigger version here: http://www.downhillonly.com/piste.jpg

snow conditions
Thanks everyone. Very useful map as well. 3 weeks to go. snowHead
ski holidays
Snow foercast is predicting temperatures (with wind-chill) of -33 in the village and -45 at the top station. Can this be right/ DG ORF we need your weather guru skills!
snow conditions
Brian T, I don't think it will be THAT cold but it is going to be pretty bad, currently showing the lowest predicted temps I've ever seen for Wengen, at about -20C on Saturday possibly colder Shocked but that will be around 6am, once the sun arrives (weather should be clear) It should rise to above -20C So wrap up warm anyone out there, wind speeds are predicted to be fairly low, but we all know how the mountains can alter that, I've seen predicted wind speeds of under 5 knots become actual speeds of 70kph through Kl Scheidegg.

Very light snow forecast for today and maybe Thursday, total snow fall under 10cm, temps look likely to stay distinctly chilly for some time, at least until Tuesday or maybe Wednesday next week, after that the long range forecast indicates a return to temps arround 0C perhaps a light dusting of snow Friday 10th or Saturday 11th
snow report
Thanks Everyone

Well we are back from our week in Interlaken ...... Sat the 21st arrival in a lot of rain (Zurich) ....Sunday (Jan 22) on the slopes....first at FIRST but the upper lifts and gondola were closed and viz was bad so after a bit we downloaded, went to Grund for train and up to K S> weather cleared a bit and I thought the Kl Sc area was really fun to watch all the action (Trains, tepee bars). Skied blue 22 down to Grund . Went up via Wengen the next few days and tram to Mannlichen ...still more bad viz at least in the am so took Tuesday off and explored Interken / Untersee, and then up to Grindelwald for lunch and touring a few hotels for bringing a group next year and staying there vs Interlaken. Skied KL Sc / Mann again Wednesday and by now my favorite was taking the Lauberhorn lift up and skiing red 44 to blue 36, maybe with a detour on red 43, then up to the Hutte for late lunch ...eventually rest of way into Wengen. Thursday was glorious only full sunshine day so up we all went to Schilthorn / Piz Gloria...skiing the top and then through Murren to Winteregg ....magnificent ...more Winteregg on Friday. So now I have finally gotten the lay of the land and if it works out to bring a group in March 2013 I'll know my way around. We thank you for all the tips which I summarized into word documents and passed out to the group I was with (not the leader for this trip, but "helping"

Snowheads is a great forum!! Enjoy the rest of your winter. We are off to Lake Tahoe California for skiing next week but there is hardly any snow there unfortunately.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
medskis, So glad you enjoyed the trip. Long way off but let us know when you will be in Wengen area next year. It would be good to meet up if poss.
Enjoy Lake Tahoe.
snow conditions
Brian - Absolutely (re letting you know if we come over next year)..... we are looking at early March and getting some quotes now for Grindelwald hotels. Will try to combine that with a post trip extension in maybe Amsterdam or Spain (my husband and I spent 24 hours in Zurich this time ...great town ....but we try to vary our extensions ....did Paris via TGV when we skied Trois Vallees last year ...yes, it gets complicated but we come a long way and try to make it interesting from both a skiing and touring perspective
ski holidays
Been in Wengen for 4 days with very little sunshine with light snow most of the time. The snow conditions are perfect but visability at times is nil. The forcast going forward is for more sun but very very cold as reported above. Today the temp on the slopes was -7c and getting colder.
ski holidays
Riverman Thanks for the update! Difficult to tell from the Cams - can't see anything Laughing
Brian T Only 10 sleeps for me snowHead
ski holidays
telford_mike, Thanks for posting that DHO map. It certainly shows the location of Mac's Leap, but it doesn't show Sprocket's Hole or another off piste bit we did with Sheridan, I think it was called Happy Valley - which I seem to recall is off from one of the pistes from the top of the Lager chair down to the Gummi chair?
snow report
Yes I think you're right about Happy Valley, get off Lager then turn right under the lift. Not sure about Sprockett's though. I wonder who Sprockett was?
latest report
telford_mike, sprocket was probably just a small cog in the wengen operation snowHead (sorry)
snow report
Clear weather up top today, but cloud lower down making it very grey in Wengen, would love to know why the snow cannon is hard at work in Inner Wengen, surely they have enough down there right now ?
ski holidays
Crumbs the temps at the Shilthorn will go down to -27 saturday night....
snow report
PR VT of Hotel Alpenruhe Wengen Switzerland (in german)

http://youtube.com/v/Izq2KtyCz74
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Crumbs the temps at the Shilthorn will go down to -27 saturday night....

See you up there for a 007 breakfast on Sunday morning Smile colder still by Tuesday apparently. You out for half-term this year?
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:

See you up there for a 007 breakfast on Sunday morning Smile colder still by Tuesday apparently. You out for half-term this year?

Out on the 25th
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy