Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Heavy snow for those that want to know is defined by myself as 1.5M in 3 days followed by slopes being shut and lifts closed due to avalanche risk
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
D G Orf, thanks David. Hope there isn't too much damage at Almend, and that no one is injured. Mrs T and I always stop there before the last run home. Many happy memories .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and whilst I remember very heavy snow was defined by my parents as walking down a 4ft wide corridor between 6ft plus high walls of snow in the Wengen High Street but that was 10 or more years before I was born

PS looks like a good 5 to 10 cm of fresh snow in Wengen already
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, I was reading earlier posts in this thread and the other one yesterday about old pistes and lifts in Wengen and it got me wondering. Every time we used the easyjet chair (orange cover - eigernorwand or something) we debated what the little disused, dilapidated hut was half way up the rocks on the right hand side as you face upwards. Can you provide the answer so I can pass it on to Mr NE1?

It was interesting to read about old pistes and lifts and I love the name plum pudding hill. Where is salzegg, it just couldn't place it. And I agree tschuggen SHOULD be a chair.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NE1, the Salzegg lift has been replased by the Eigornordwand lift, the Salzreg t=bar went from just above the Salzegg railway halt (no longer used but the little hut is still there this may be the dilapidated hut you refer to) to more or less the same top location as the eigernordwand chair, they had to make a few modifications at the top but it's the same location
http://youtube.com/v/A7jPsbp3YHY shows the old Salzegg lift in 2009 they got rid of it because there were at least 2 points on the drag lift that could not be seen from either the top or the bottom station, there were a number of nasty accidents involving people coming off the lift and nocking others over during its 40 years opperation and so eventually they replaced it with the much superior chairlift, by starting the chair from Arvengarten they also reduced the queues in that area, they also replaced the Honegg t-bar lift with a chair around the same time which was another very long drag, so Arvengarten is now a good spot with fast moving queues.

Plum pudding hill used to have its own drag lift but that was before i was born, I think you used to be able to see the odd concrete base for its towers but I can't remember seeing them in the last 1o years so they may have finally been removed, the drag lift was destroyed by high winds and I believe in the same storm the Wengeneralp Hotel Jungfrau also had its roof badly damaged, if you check out the hotels online gallery theres a picture showing the old lift.

Wengen got about 20cm of fresh snow overnight, Murren 15cm and Grindelwald 30cm all areas ow have lenty of snow and it's still falling

Another old one for you, Wasser Station was once a small halt in the woods between Allmend and Wengeneralp, it was originally a water stop for the steam trains that once ran up and down the track, but even in the 70's it still had a use as it was from there that people got off to start the sledge run, now of course they go up to Wengeneralp and even Kleine Scheidegg but a few people may still refer to a long gone halt
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Brian T wrote:
D G Orf, thanks David. Hope there isn't too much damage at Almend, and that no one is injured. Mrs T and I always stop there before the last run home. Many happy memories .

No one hurt, but it was a big fire.

http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region/thun/Brand-in-Bergrestaurant-in-Wengen/story/25079716
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank goodness for the eigernorwand (orange) chair.. That t-bar looks horrendous! The structure I was talking about is near the top of the tBar now chair on the right hand side not long before you disembark. It's on quite a sheer rocky bit, but it looked more rocky when we were there last week than it does on that film.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 2-02-14 14:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just had a look at the link that D G Orf very kindly sent for a discounted lift pass ....
Strange that they offer a discount for the Jungfrau area but not for just Grindelwald/Wengen.
6 day pass from March 9 comes out at CHF 258 (discount from CHF 323) for the larger area or CHF 291 for just Grindelwald/Wengen.

Anyone else noticed this ??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ordered the pass for CHF 258 ... thanks very much to D G Orf for the help
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There doesn't look like much is left of restaurant sadly
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NE1, no doubt it will be rebuilt, theres always been a lot of demand for a restaurant in that area at the end of the day, the Original cafe oberland was further down the hill where the piste crosses the stream and turns left, sadly the owners were killed when the upstairs was destroyed by avalanche, the relatives built the one at Allmend but I don't think it ever did as well, certainly it never seemed so busy and it didn't have the same views of the Jungfrau, I'm guessing the fire will be either accidental or an insurance scam which is why the investigation by the police.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, You're right about it never really taking off - the restaurant eventually changed hands last year, and was extensively renovated in time for Christmas. The electrician was still installing the last of the safety equipment while we were there in December. It's a real shame, we have too few pit stop opportunities on 'our' side of the mountain as it is.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike, maybe the electrician didn't plug something in correctly.

The problem with the Wengen side is that other than a couple of bars if you want to eat you only have Wengeneralp or Innerwengen, Wengeneralp was never cheap but it used to give good sized plates of food, last time I went there a good number of years ago it had got to stupidly expensive and smaller portions, not been in since, same problem after the Regina took over Mary's Cafe, prices went up, choice and size went down, that leaves you coming back to Wengen for Lunch which is not ideal or eating higher up.

I still miss being able to stop at Oberland, they used to do a nice spaghetti bolognese, sitting on the terrase watching the skiers go by was a very plesant way to pass 40 mins, the food at Brandegg has always been better but you don't get the sun down there till later in the day and the views are not as good.

Mind you there are a lot less hotels in Wengen these days, The Schweizerheim, Bristol, Schweizerhof, Eden and of course the Eiger have all been turned into appartments and the Kreuz burnt down in an insurance fraud with the site eventually developed into more appartments, prices have gone up a bit as well Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A big THANKYOU to all that have kindly donated towards my Autism Jersey Charity Trek up Kilimanjaro. We leave this Wednesday (5th) and look forward to the challenge ahead! (ps. currently snowing a lot at the summit 6000m)

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm very good friends with the current allmend owners. They reckon to be open again in a week or so. The part of the building that burnt is avalanche proof, so made of concrete and steel and not wood, the rest didn't get that wrecked up.
What's mental is that the piste bully driver saw the fire first, it started outside the building from what I've heard.
snow report
stab, thats good news for them, if the fire started outside it would make sense for the police to be interested, hopefully they will be able to get everything sorted quickly, from the report it sounded as if it was a big fire but maybe it was just the outside cladding, I hope so for your friends sake
ski holidays
So how are the skiing conditions in Wengen right now ??
snow conditions
gdbn, plenty of snow, but the upper slopes are a bit wind blown, lower slopes apparently very good, more snow due in a couple of days generally fairly cloudy
ski holidays
Off to Murren tomorrow, high winds, eurostar connections etc etc permitting.

Just looked at the website and it looks like the coop is closed on sunday morning. We'll be there too late on saturday to get stuff in.

Any idea if there is anywhere to buy basics (milk/bread/cereal etc) on sunday morning. Would rather not lump stuff around the railway systems of Europe.

d
ski holidays
The kiosk shop at Lauterbrunnen station keeps milk, fruit juices, bread (at least in the mornings), but I'm not sure about cereals. It is also open on Sunday mornings (although if you're arriving by train on the Saturday you'll probably want to buy your basics then, depending on what time you arrive the Lauterbrunnen Co-op may still also be open). Madeye-Smiley
snow report
thanks for that. even if the coop is open I think we have a 5 minute dash across the road for the cable car up to murren so may not have time to shop.

Looks like an early morning yomp down on sunday morning.

I'm a little bit surprised. After all, it's surely not that unusual for guests to arrive lateish on a saturday and having used public transport not having a great deal of luggage.

d
ski holidays
pendodave, depending on what time you arrive at Interlaken Ost on saturday there is a large coop right next to the station open till 5pm, you might find a bakery open Sunday Morning in Murren but I'm not sure, however Muren Coop is shown as being open this Sunday from 3pm until 6pm Lauterbrunnen coop is closed Sunday, Wengen coop open from 8am till 18.30
latest report
Guys, I was half thinking about coming back out at Easter but it seems like there are no TO deals to Wengen starting 5th April, is this normal?
ski holidays
JimboS, yes because most of the lifts only remain open until the 5th or 6th of April, Mannlichen shuts on the 6th (from both sides) First is 30th March Schilthorn 21st April
latest report
D G Orf, Thanks.
snow report
Has the restaurant at Allmend opened again anyone?
snow report
We`re got 5 days ski-ing at the start of March (Mon-Fri). Tried getting accommodation further up but we`re staying in Interlaken. Any suggestions for the best plan for ski-ing for the week? Couple of days in Wengen? Couple in Murren or Grindelwald? I`m an intermediate skier but my friend is a beginner.
ski holidays
Deedee, easiest of the slopes for you to reach will be going up via Wengen, next easiest via Murren (very little in it) the most itermediate and beginner slopes in the area are probably those above Wengen, i fyou get a beautiful blue sky day go to Murren and all the way up to Piz Gloria where you get great views, but you will probably want to go back down one stop and ski from there as the initial exit from piz gloria can be a bit intimidating, theres plenty of intermediate skiing over at the First area above Grindelwald but I'm not sure about beginner slopes also the First gondola is at the opposite end of Grindelwald to the train station but there is a local ski bus that I seem to recall stops at both

My advice would probably be, 3 days around Wengen (at least once get off the train at Wengen and take the cablecar up the Mannlichen the two stations are only 200M apart) 1 day at First and 1 at Murren, however if the weather is thick cloud or snow go with the Wengen area and up on the train to Kleie Scheidegg as the slopes from there have more forest runs to give better contrast
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deedee, The Jungfrau region skipass includes train travel from Interlaken Ost station, hopefully you're staying somewhere near there. I'd certainly suggest at least one day in each of the 3 areas (Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren). Maybe best to start off with a trip to Grindelwald First (there's a play on words there Laughing ), seriously you catch the train from Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald, walk a few yards to the adjacent Grindelwald bus station then take one of the frequent skibusses for Grindelwald First. Take the Firstbahn gondola all the way to the top station at First (stay on at the intermediate station at Schreckfeld) and from there there are a couple of nice blues (including a nice wide blue no.1 at Oberjoch which you get to using the Oberjoch chairlift). Wengen has some nice blues (e.g blue run 22 from Kleine Scheidegg down to Brandegg with great views of the Eiger) and Murren has some nice blues around the Birg area (you get there using the Birg cable car in Murren). From Birg you can also take another cable car up to the Schilthorn (Piz Gloria) with its revolving restaurant and James Bond 007 themed exhibition. There's only a black run down from the Schilthorn (so not suitable for your beginner friend) but the views are spectacular (pick a good day weather wise) and well worth a visit - your friend (and you if you wish to) can take the cable car back down to Birg.
snow conditions
As some of you are aware im just back from trekking up Kilimanjaro. The midnight summit trek itself took over 8 hours but I made it to the summit at 5895m (then spent another 6 hours getting down) -

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 17-02-14 19:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
As some of you are aware im just back from trekking up Kilimanjaro. The midnight summit trek itself took over 8 hours but I made it to the summit at 5896m -

!

Chris Brookes, well done! Did you notice the thinner air much on your trek to the summit?
snow report
Did you loose a glove ? Laughing

Seriously though... Well done and congratulations on completing for such a good cause.
latest report
Fantastic achievement Chris. Many congrats.
ski holidays
Nice article about Wengen in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/features/10643461/Skiing-holidays-can-you-still-ski-in-style-in-your-sixties.html
snow conditions
Snow forecast are predicting severe gales (50mph/80kph) for Wednesday week. Please tell me that 9 days is far too distant to make an accurate forecast and that it won't actually happen as that is bang in the middle of our week in Wengen! Puzzled
snow conditions
Cheers for the replies. We`re staying 10 mins walk from Interlaken West. Already got my Jungfrau ski pass. Will i have to get a train ticket from West to Ost every day?
ski holidays
if you are west of west station you might find it useful to get the train, but it's not far to walk provided you are in normal footwear about 20 mins between the two stations on foot so if you are 10 mins east of west station you may well be only 10 mins from Ost station .... confused yet Happy
snow report
Deedee wrote:
Cheers for the replies. We`re staying 10 mins walk from Interlaken West. Already got my Jungfrau ski pass. Will i have to get a train ticket from West to Ost every day?

Bus from West to Wilderswil, get on the train there.
latest report
good point and the bus is I believe covered by the pass
latest report
Hi folks
Ignore my last post. Snow forecast now predicting a much more sensible wind speed for Wednesday week of 15 km/hr. Much better than 80 !!!! "What a difference a day makes"
snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy