Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
suzysue2 wrote:
Has anyone been to murren the last couple of days? Just wondered whether it's skiable down to Lauterbrunnen at the moment? Have been 7 times now and only been able to ski down one year! Would be lovely to do it when we are there next week so fingers crossed.

It was certainly possible last week, lots of tracks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty crap conditions today. Up high the snow was nice but visibility awful - wet snow falling meant goggles covered in water, making flat light even harder... Down amongst the trees however the snow was slushy and heavy. Yuck! Hope it cools down!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be clearer but very warm tomorrow, colder on Monday probably with more snow though maybe rain lower down at first, Tuesday should be nice, Wednesday and Thursday looks like colder with more snow Friday and Saturday should be better conditions

Sorry I can't give better news for the New Year Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone know if there will be any live music on next week in the village? We will be there from Saturday, last year the Eiger guest house had some but I can't find any info for next week.
How's the snow holding up?
Suzy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
suzysue2, best option would be to email the tourist office, they usually have a long list of what's on in any particular week, plenty of snow still on the upper slopes, enough on the lower ones but currently likely to be somewhat wet and heavy due to recent rain and warmer weather, forecast is for this warm spell to carry on at least for a couple more days before it gets colder and more snow arrives probably at the end of the week
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
suzysue2, Eiger Guesthouse are on Facebook so if suggest looking them up as I can't answer that. Snow holding up well at village level even with the rain over the weekend. Temps are now dropping below village level with snow forecasted for thursday/friday with the amount uncertain.. Over the weekend local friends have said the snow at Birg was excellent. (Snow 70cm / 270cm)

Hopefully you will arrive with a fresh decent covering making the village as beautiful as always when it snows !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know I'm a bit late but......

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Chris, I have joined the Facebook page and posted the question there. The tourist board wasa my first thought but they replied that they didn't know of anything on!
Hopefully we will be able to fill our days with lts of skiing and not be too bothered about entertainment in the evenings. Still hoping for enough snow to ski right down to Lauterbrunnen as the friends we are travelling with have never done it! ( we only got the chance once a couple of years ago)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
suzysue2 wrote:
Thanks Chris, I have joined the Facebook page and posted the question there. The tourist board wasa my first thought but they replied that they didn't know of anything on!
Hopefully we will be able to fill our days with lts of skiing and not be too bothered about entertainment in the evenings. Still hoping for enough snow to ski right down to Lauterbrunnen as the friends we are travelling with have never done it! ( we only got the chance once a couple of years ago)

Thats why i didnt suggest the tourist office. In a perfect world the tourist office should know everything that is happening in Mürren but sadly its down to the pub/restaurant owners to inform them.

Tourist list below of restaurants but a few aren't on there like Tham's Superb Chinese restaurant (lower road)
http://mymuerren.ch/en/Holidays/LIFESTYLE/Gastronomy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wengen.com has posted some footage above wengen

http://youtube.com/v/bd0C_YubYWU

Normally this time of year i would be posting videos from Patrick of http://www.pearsonstyle.com but hes currently enjoying a long holiday in LA, Honolulu and South America but will be back at the end of the month...how selfish...lol
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the night of 1 January, light artist Gerry Hofstetter projected the Swiss cross and other images on to the north face of the Jungfrau. This launched the centenary year of the Jungfrau Railway, Switzerland’s leading mountain railway.
http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/en/tourism/news-events/news/details/archive/2012/01/article/pioniergeist-in-den-schweizer-alpen-942/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Brookes wrote:
On the night of 1 January, light artist Gerry Hofstetter projected the Swiss cross and other images on to the north face of the Jungfrau. This launched the centenary year of the Jungfrau Railway, Switzerland’s leading mountain railway.
http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/en/tourism/news-events/news/details/archive/2012/01/article/pioniergeist-in-den-schweizer-alpen-942/

Saw it when they were doing rehearsals in November - impressive!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thats better, it snowed 10cm last night and freshened up things !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beanie
Yep I remember the first wixi lift with the swing bar that came across your lap with a thick fleecy lined plastic blanket. God we thought we were the bees knees when that happened! However , the very first season that it was opened I' sure that it didint have the blankets.

I think the best lift of all time was the original T bar fro inner Wengen when they used to clip the T bars on as and when required. There were wooden plyons for the support wheels on the way up and the roughest jog on each pylon that you could ever find--I wonder how many people fell off that lift. It was always Walter Schletti's finale of the day to intimidate his class having skied down the Standard!

I would always finish my days skiing by doing a couple of Brunner slope T Bar runs.

I still have my 220 cms Attenhofer Superjet Commander skis with original Look bindings in the loft and every time I see them in the loft(All blocked )it brings back very happy memories.

LOL
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
New mobile web page for lifts, pistes etc http://mobile.jungfrau.ch

It's still a bit beta-ish Shocked
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
New mobile web page for lifts, pistes etc http://mobile.jungfrau.ch

It's still a bit beta-ish Shocked

better than nothing wink
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Should be clearer but very warm tomorrow, colder on Monday probably with more snow though maybe rain lower down at first, Tuesday should be nice, Wednesday and Thursday looks like colder with more snow Friday and Saturday should be better conditions

Sorry I can't give better news for the New Year Sad

For once David, a little too conservative a forecast, the next 24-36 hrs look a bit scarey. They are obviously getting the storms that we have just had.

A report from my brother who is still in Wengen: The Jungfraujoch service is closed due to storm winds and drifting, no trains above Wengernalp or Brandegg and no Maennlichen cablecars, no upper lifts open, but Bumps v busy - must be a first!. Expecting a big dump of snow tonight, although with the wind there will be drifting. He's is due to drive back on Friday, which could be fun as heavy snow is forecast down at at Motorway level. I told him he should stay a couple of days more and enjoy the fresh snow. Very Happy
ski holidays
Ok forecast for next week or so, heavy rain or snow possible for next 48 hours with maybe 40cm of snow falling at resort level provided it gets cold enough, strong winds likely as well so expect drifts, Saturday and Sunday are likely to be cloudy with occasional snow although this may turn out to be heavier, Monday More snow, perhaps another 10 cm, Tuesday to Thursday next week currently look like clear weather, beyond that forecast is a bit too hazy at the moment to predict
latest report
Ooh flipping 'eck, I know we like to have snow but we don't want too much do we? The bad visibility bothers me but I guess we'll not have a problem in the bar lol

Hubby having a bit of a panic about the mini bus trip from Geneva airport, hopefully it wan't be too bad?
latest report
Ooh flipping 'eck, I know we like to have snow but we don't want too much do we? The bad visibility bothers me but I guess we'll not have a problem in the bar lol

Hubby having a bit of a panic about the mini bus trip from Geneva airport, hopefully it wan't be too bad?
latest report
suzysue2 wrote:

Having driven extensively in Switzerland over the years the Swiss keep their motorways pretty clear even when it's snowing hard - so they should for the CHF40 they nab off me every year for the Vignette! You can't use snowchains on the motorway, so they have to keep at least one lane clear. Last few miles up to Lauterbrunnen might be fun though wink
ski holidays
sherlockis wrote:
suzysue2 wrote:

Having driven extensively in Switzerland over the years the Swiss keep their motorways pretty clear even when it's snowing hard - so they should for the CHF40 they nab off me every year for the Vignette! You can't use snowchains on the motorway, so they have to keep at least one lane clear. Last few miles up to Lauterbrunnen might be fun though wink

That makes me feel a bit better, thanks.

I had a look earlier at the web cam at Kleine Schidegg and saw the drifts, wow!
snow report
Yep I flicked on the webcams at Scheidegg before leaving work also. Rather a windy day and large drifts!!

I have driven to Luterbrunneen probably every other year for about 25 - 30 years and have never not been able to get to Lauterbrunnen! They always manage to keep part of the road open even if there are passing places. Good old Swiss eh---- better than wet leaves on the railway lines here!!

5 weeks and counting !!!!
snow report
Sorry that should read Lauterbrunnen !! Dont know where the wrong spelling came from!!
snow conditions
Holly, I have known the Lauterbrunnen road to be closed, but to be fair so were an awful lot of other roads in the area as well as some of the rail lines due to the extraordinary high risk of avalanches that year, actually watched one come down the Wengen side of the valley and go most of the way across up towards Stechelberg Shocked
latest report
Good grief just looked at the webcam at Scheidegg there's a snowdrift a good 4ft deep where the railway line runs Shocked I'm sure they've not had 4ft of snow up there today so it must be a drift, I'm guessing some areas may be shut tomorrow due to avalance risk Sad
snow report
DG
Glad you looked at the webcam like you I saw there was a large drift where the railway line is . I would think that its blown up the slope from down the valley over the ratrun and onto scheidegg. Early start tomm so will be able to look at webcam in daylight ! That sounds incredible with the avalanche near Steckleberg. What year was that?
Many many years ago, I think somewhere back in the 1800s there was (so I am told!) a very large avalanche down the face of the Mannlichenn and straight over down towards Wengenwald, evidently taking old buildings with it, probably went through where the Lauberhorn (Victoria as was) hotel.
When are you going to Wengen this year?
Holly
snow report
Holly, not going, no money (in fact I did have enough but then a customer shafted me for £3k and now I have to take them to court Evil or Very Mad ), not sure about avalanches at that end of the village, I know the original village square is just below the Baren hotel, the centre of the village only moved up the hill when the railways came to Wengen, the oldest hotel in Wengen is actually the Alpenrose, however the Von Allmen family originally owned the large building slightly further down the hill, long before it became a children's home and then a hostel and now whatever it is, those buildings are well over 120 years old and are safe from any avalanche, the old villagers knew where it was safe to build, certainly avalanches have made it as far as the ice rink in the last 50 years destroying the old cow barn that sat on the nursery slopes, which is why the new barn has a big earth bank behind it and whilst the Park hotel is well protected by forests behind it, the roads to and from there are vulnerable and have been closed due to avalanche risk, indeed I have seen local fire service personel stationed at either end of the open stretch of the main street between the Silberhorn and Central sport making sure that everyone kept moving when the risk was particularly high, that was they year that Cafe Oberland was destroyed and the old Mannlichen cable car got crushed like a tin can as it sat in the bottom station, Fortunately due to a lot of diligence on the part of the locals only two people lost their lives in Wengen that year, the owners of Cafe Oberland, bizarrely they had called friends of mine earlier in the day to tell them to move their cattle from the nearby barns as they were sure an avalanche was on its way, why they then went upstairs to bed when their normal practise on such occasions was to have a mattress in the basement for their use at night we will never know, the avalanche came down that night and ripped the upper floors off the building snapping the large timbers like matches, another friend who was in the search party told me that if they had gone downstairs they would have been fine, the restaurant itself and the basement below didn't even have a single broken glass Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, that ws horrible, a friend of mine was also in the search party. For quite a few weeks after they hadn't boarded up the building, and you could see in the windows of the ground floor restaurant with the lights still hanging from the ceiling. Sad

I find it strange the bottom half of the building is still there 13 yrs later.
ski holidays
beanie1, part of the building, the bit that still remains ? was not actually part of the restaurant but was in fact a garage for the piste machines and equipment
ski holidays
D G Orf, ah ok.
snow report
Webcam at Scheidegg looks even better this morning!!
ski holidays
Dg Further to your entry re Alpenrose and that large building further down . I walked past that last year and it looks like building works are up and running there all sorts going on. Are they turning it into flats?

My extended family ( Family Lauener) own the Chalet Schluect just over the footpath from the Alpenrose although I now always stay in Lauterbrunnen for sake of costs.

Hope you get your money from your guy---take a late holiday!
latest report
Holly wrote:
Webcam at Scheidegg looks even better this morning!!

WOW! AMAZING, off to the airport this Afternoon and flying out in the morning.
We are really hoping to be able to ski from the schilthorn to Lauterbrunnen this year and it's looking very likely now! Wooohooooo.
snow report
suzysue2, Lauterbrunnen to Murren via Grutschalp is currently closed due to the snow storms last night but hopefully it will be open when you arrive, if not you will have to go via Stechelberg !!

Stechelberg webcam (valley floor 867m)

Murren webcam (Bellevue Hotel)

Snow depth in the village 130cm / Schilthorn 350cm .......you will be arriving when the village looks its best (make sure you take loads of pictures, not often nowadays you get to see 130cm + in the village)
ski holidays
I took this back in Feb 09 when the village had 150cm in...amazing

http://youtube.com/v/EfuxQBVws6Y
ski holidays
Holly, it wouldn't surprise me to learn it is being made into flats, though I had an idea they might have already done so, an increasing amount of what was once hotels or rented accommodation has been sold off, I'm guessing the Hotel Brunner may be next to go this way as this year it is B&B only, given that it's right on the edge of the village and there's only one other restaurant nearby it can't be good news Sad

Due to the weather none of the lifts or railways above Wengen currently working

Only 20cm of Fresh snow so far, I believe more to come over today and tomorrow and this will fall as snow due to significantly colder local temps
snow report
Everything is closed this morning at 09.30 and they are not even selling lift passes at the moment. Massive storm for last 2 days. Only open to Wengenalp yesterday but managed to ski lower lifts in Murren. So frustrating as the powder will be fantastic and I am leaving tomorrow. High avalanche risk. Temperature dropping.
snow conditions
Only lifts open Grindelwald side, lift to Bort and train as far as Brandegg are only two uplifts currently sowing as being open
snow report
OK, here's one for the regulars. What does the panel think.
Old-fashioned charm or slick, joined-up ski resort?

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/culture/Resort_doctor_urges_Jungfrau_to_dream_big.html?cid=31816602 wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy