Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Superb opportunity to visit Mürren and enjoy the empty pistes this weekend when the Lauberhorn downhill is on wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My husband says it would be rude not to.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LOL Looks like the weather will not be very nice for viewers or racers this weekend but anuone there next week will I think be enjoying some excellent fresh snow, potentially 40 to 50 cm over the long weekend and into the start of next week
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ooohhh we go 25th, hoping for lots of new snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That will be me then Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're really bored at work, live timing for the DH training:

http://live.fis-ski.com/livenofis144.htm
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, good news, but are you being a bit optimistic? Snow forecast is predicting up to 20cm.
I much prefer your forecast 😃
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The word I used was Potentially, I think the area will be near the edge of a front, if the wind blows in one direction then snow will be heavy, if its a few degrees out snow will be light, the forecast is from Late tomorrow till Tuesday Next week by the way, one of my sources says heavy snow Saturday, One, light and the third none, most unusual, it's usual that they agre it will snow but not how much
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, thanks. 😄
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf wrote:
LOL Looks like the weather will not be very nice for viewers or racers this weekend but anuone there next week will I think be enjoying some excellent fresh snow, potentially 40 to 50 cm over the long weekend and into the start of next week

They have already swapped the slalom and the downhill around for the Super Combined on Friday because of the forecast. Slalom in the morning now, Downhill in the afternoon to give them a chance to prepare the downhill piste.
Coverage on Euro$port2 - but they'll probably get confused with the changes and revert to womens handball from outer mongolia instead rolling eyes
Just in case I've got my IP-Proxy setup so that I can stream direct from Swiss TV over the weekend Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can't find any snow forecast a all only rain on Sunday Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It will snow on top. Snow in town just makes a nice photo.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What stab, says, Friday should give snow at higher levels, whether they get rain, snow or sleet at resort level really depends on what time of day it starts, if its early afternoon expect rain, late afternoon sleet, and after sunset it might well be snow, Saturday and Sunday right now look like high level cloud giving occasional snow showers with possible sunny spells, BUT that might change tomorrow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The white restaurant on the webcam for Mannlichen doesn't have tables outside. That usually means they think it will snow. They have been pretty spot on so far Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NE1 wrote:
The white restaurant on the webcam for Mannlichen doesn't have tables outside. That usually means they think it will snow. They have been pretty spot on so far Very Happy

and there's only a few out at KS - so they are either not expecting to be busy or they are ready to get the tables back in when it snows later wink
snow report
Arrived in Murren this day last year for 2 days of boarding (me) / skiing (wife) and the DH on Saturday - Murren more or less deserted with more than 20CM of fresh. Beautiful place, lovely people and a great run by Innerhoffer - wish I was there now.
snow conditions
There was good program about the Eiger on BBC4 a couple of days ago, catch it on the I-player.
snow report
Looks like it snowed again overnight. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
About 15cm of fresh powder
snow conditions
Live timing - Supercombination run 2

http://live.fis-ski.com/liveal0147.htm
snow conditions
71st International Inferno-Races (22nd - 25th January 2014)

Events-
http://www.inferno-muerren.ch/en/edition-2014/programme

Last Year footage of the downhill-

http://youtube.com/v/NurLClNkiR4
snow report
Just back from a week learning to ski in Mürren, thank you to those who helped with suggestions before we travelled. Tham's was excellent and for Switzerland (Bernese Oberland) was good value for the quality of the food, he and his wife were also very friendly and the steamed dumplings were the best I've ever had.. So tastey!
Skiing was a bit hit and miss, with regards to the ski school. As total beginners the lessons in the morning were the only available time we could use the nursery slope....as the rope drag lift is owned and operated by the ski school... so come the afternoons they had 6 newbies asking why the rope was not switched on as we wanted to practice what our instructor had asked us to, in the lessons that morning. Apparently if no afternoon lessons using the nursery slope they will not allow the rope to be used by their customers who had paid for morning lessons.
We found this extremely frustrating, especially when they then proceeded to suggest we go up the Almunhuble to use the poma lift and blue runs - which as their beginner students had yet to be shown how to use or infact how to safely ski down what are 2 quite steep sections (well they are for complete novices who until that morning had only used the (now unavailable) nursery slope.

By the end of the week our morning lessons had progressed to these blue runs but I was, as were others in our lessons, extremely frustrated at the ski school's policy. We made our views known to the school, whilst others in our lesson actually thanked us for at least speaking to the ski school about their 'policy'.

The level of instruction was excellent and I progressed well, but the nursery slope policy (especially for my wife who did not have the confidence to go on those blue runs with zero experience as suggested by the office) left us with a slightly disappointed view of the school.

Accommodation was excellent in terms of value for money and for location (see my previous post for details) and we are now considering going back in summer to do the Via Ferata and some paragliding.

1st time in Murren after 4 times in Wengen, and can honestly say we prefer the village feel of Murren over Wengen.
Any q's, please shout.. Happy to answer any.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
71st International Inferno-Races (22nd - 25th January 2014)

Events-
http://www.inferno-muerren.ch/en/edition-2014/programme

Last Year footage of the downhill-

http://youtube.com/v/NurLClNkiR4

But for those more interested in the other side of the valley - great video from FIS about Wengen & the events over this weekend (Filmed earlier this week)
Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/G6lMicublso

Shame about the lowered start yesterday, and poor snow conditions for the slaloms today, but overall a great weekend of snow sport and for a change Eurosport gave us extra coverage because of the lack of other cancelled events (but still missed the first run from Marcel Hirscher this morning!)- lets see how good the coverage on Ski Sunday is tonight
snow conditions
1st day in Wengen. Brilliant. Will write more next week.
latest report
Is it just me or does anyone else think the BBC could make a better job of the ski Sunday program? #disappointed Sad
latest report
suzysue2, agreed
latest report
suzysue2, I think you're right. It could be the BBC are trying to fit too much into a 45 minute programme. (Perhaps 40 mins when the opening crap scene setting is ignored) They are trying to cover a much-expanded winter sports scene nowadays, which is great - with snowboarding and all the freestyle variations as well - but it can't be done properly in 40 mins.
ski holidays
sherlockis wrote:

But for those more interested in the other side of the valley - video from FIS about Wengen & the events over this weekend (Filmed earlier this week)
Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/G6lMicublso

I'm guessing they don't mention molitors window getting smashed up, the fighting, the puke, the stolen skis, the smashed up benches, the dicks who decided to put ketchup over everyone's windows or the thefts from central. Worst weekend of the year, and this year was exceptionally bad.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="stab"]
sherlockis wrote:

But for those more interested in the other side of the valley - video from FIS about Wengen & the events over this weekend (Filmed earlier this week)
Toofy Grin

I'm guessing they don't mention molitors window getting smashed up, the fighting, the puke, the stolen skis, the smashed up benches, the dicks who decided to put ketchup over everyone's windows or the thefts from central. Worst weekend of the year, and this year was exceptionally bad.

But that's the non Ski fans who come up in the evening for the all-night party, not the proper spectators who mostly go down after the racing is finished. Last time I was there for the racing I met a group of British girls in Grindlewald who were going up via Lauterbrunnen - they didn't even know what the party was for - 'Downhill, what downhill?' rolling eyes
snow report
Yep always a few idiots I'm afraid, also a lot seems to depend on the weather, good conditions means lots of spectators on the course who are fairly tired at the end of the day, poor tends to result in less tired people and potentially more trouble
snow conditions
You're wrong and I'm right Neh Neh
latest report
If a snowboard event was bringing that much crap to the village it would be scrapped.
snow report
True, I read somewhere that it costs about one million Francs more to stage the event than it brings to the area, you can do a lot with that kind of cash, on the other hand it is one way of advertising the area, I'm not sure how much the various chanels show of Wengen and the surrounding area in their race program but it's probably worth quite a lot in "free" advertising
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
True, I read somewhere that it costs about one million Francs more to stage the event than it brings to the area, you can do a lot with that kind of cash, on the other hand it is one way of advertising the area, I'm not sure how much the various chanels show of Wengen and the surrounding area in their race program but it's probably worth quite a lot in "free" advertising

Even when (old) Ski Sunday went down to half a season - they always included the Lauberhorn in the schedule, often with a 2minute 'resort report' - so how much free advertising to the British target market is that worth? Swiss TV -SRF- had a full programme of coverage over the weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun) with loads of pretty cut-away shots of the area and the jolly spectators for the local market, but few of the extras made it to BBC or Eurosport.
ski holidays
Given that the Brits still (despite the exchange rate) are a fairly significant proportion of guests in Wengen I guess a couple of minutes tv time in the uk is still worth a fair bit, even if it is BBC2

The Swiss tend to be day trippers so spend comparatively little in the area I'm told
snow report
The only winner is carlsberg for that weekend. By the time they've spent out/drunk out at carlsberg they head indoors to terrorize the bar staff but don't spend anything.
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Given that the Brits still (despite the exchange rate) are a fairly significant proportion of guests in Wengen I guess a couple of minutes tv time in the uk is still worth a fair bit, even if it is BBC2

The Swiss tend to be day trippers so spend comparatively little in the area I'm told

Without the dutch wengen can close, despite what the English in a certain club think.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
D G Orf wrote:

Without the dutch wengen can close, despite what the English in a certain club think.

Given the number of Dutch cars we pass on the drive down to Wengen every year I would agree - but don't they also have a bit of a reputation with the locals for not spending much? I seem to recall tales of cars full of coolboxes of food for the week
ski holidays
stab wrote:
If a snowboard event was bringing that much crap to the village it would be scrapped.

Not strictly a snowboarding event but I am willing to bet Snowbombing in Mayrhofen would top the crap you saw in Wengen. It now draws a significant proportion of punters who never make it onto the hill. Now I am pretty tolerant of those who like to party but last year the balance tipped too far with multiple fights in the streets. I am amazed that the locals put up with it, it really must be a big cash bonanza.
latest report
But snowbombing is as you say not a board event. I just saw the poster for it, full on festival. Lauberhorn is billed as a ski race.
Saying that I find snowpenair to be just as full of dicks as lauberhorn, I dj'd at snowpenair for a few years (Bryan Adams twice, Ronan Keating and the Mel c one).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy