Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
A piste too soft for race? Then that will be good for me 😀 great pics. Getting really excited now. Starting to get my kit ready Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JimboS, Did you manage to book the 20% discounted online liftpasses I mentioned before you went to Wengen? I believe you said you were staying in the Falken - how did you like it? It has a certain old world charm which some people like and others don't. Was there a pianist in residence - when I was in Wengen over the New Year I heard from someone at the DHO that the previous great jazz pianist Al Copley who used to play there has been lured away by a better offer to another Swiss resort. Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink wrote:
JimboS, Did you manage to book the 20% discounted online liftpasses I mentioned before you went to Wengen? I believe you said you were staying in the Falken - how did you like it? It has a certain old world charm which some people like and others don't. Was there a pianist in residence - when I was in Wengen over the New Year I heard from someone at the DHO that the previous great jazz pianist Al Copley who used to play there has been lured away by a better offer to another Swiss resort. Sad

I think he got lured away from Wengen by a hotelier in Mürren but I think Al Copley went elsewhere within a couple of weeks due to altitude sickness ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Brookes, According to Al Copley's website he is spending the winter season at le Grand Bellevue Hotel, Gstaad.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gstaad @ 1050m ....lol Wink

Joking aside have you seen the piste map of Gstaad and the lift system Shocked Shocked -
http://www.gstaad.ch/typo3temp/_processed_/csm_Interaktive_Karte_Ski_04_9d4891f51e.jpg

Shocked Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I booked our lift passes through the discount web site, paid £198 for 7 days, Inghams wanted £268 for 6 days!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
suzysue2, its a great genuine deal
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gstaad is really not as great as its piste map might indicate, it's a series of little villages each of which have a few lifts, but the vast majority don't let you go between villages, you can between Gstaad and Rougemont and I think Zweisimmen and Schonried but elsewhere you need to take the train from one resort to the next along the valley floor or in some cases a bus, you cannot go for instance to Schonried go up one of the mountains and ski back to Gstaad you have to go back and take the train home, that said the vast majority of the resorts are very pretty and there a lot of very wealthy people there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:

Yes we bought the tickets in advance and got the 20% discount, thanks for the tip.

We stayed at the Falken and were very pleased with it and its old world charm, we had an excellent south facing room with a large bath/shower room. The staff were great, as was the new pianist. For the price I was also very happy with the food and there were also good options for my vegie wife.

The skiing/boarding was great, the quantity of easy access, safe OP was also amazing, although it was all tracked out by the end of Monday, but at least we did have a huge dump of snow on Saturday night after we arrived.

We did most of our skiing in the local area but also had a day over in Grindelwald and one in Muren, although we enjoyed both days it was a bit of a trek to get there and back.

Some other impressions, observations, in no particular order.

The local ski area was better than expected and we had zero lift queues.

The village/village centre was smaller than I expected.

There fact that we did not see or hear any drunks was great.

No matter where we went there seemed to be at least one upper middle class woman talking too loudly.

The food and drink on the mountain was pricy and I felt some of the service the service was poor compared to my favoured Austrian resorts. On occasion we were served drinks in plastic cups and soup in plastic bowls, I have never seen this before. The food quality and quantity was good but as for hot chocolate, I was surprised to be handed an cup of hot milk and a packet of chocolate powder, for that price I expect some one to make it for me (this was in the Bond restaurant!).

The little outdoor/tented bar at the bottom of the beginner area was good, it was great to finish there with a Glühwein and watch the skiers come in off the hill. I think they could make this a bit bigger and if they had a space for dancing I would have been up there.

We tried a few bars in the village but found that Rocks was our favourite.

All in all I am sure we will be back.

The route below was what we did on our last day, 42Km distance and 7000m vertical drop!

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jimbo, what did you use to get that graph?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NE1 wrote:
Jimbo, what did you use to get that graph?

NE1, It's the individual data from the Jungfrau skipass - you go the website http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/ski-region/jungfrau-winnercard/jungfrau-winnercard/ and enter your skipass number and it will show you a daily record of the lifts used, distance skied etc... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JimboS, not sure what it is with the hot chocolate, but for as long as I can remember it's always been hot milk plus the sachet, I think it's because you can choose different types one ovo and one chocolate, can't recal ever being given a plastic soup bowl have seen the plastic cups especially at some of the outside bars where non plastic easily gets broken, buried in snow and so on.

Unfortunately the exchange rate is going to make the mountain restaurant prices hurt in Switzerland, not the Swiss fault they have a strong currency, prices there hardly go up but the pound buys very few Franks these days Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair pink, you are are a font of all knowledge. Excellent. I will check this out next week. You jungfrau experts have been great, thanks for all your local knowledge which will enhance my trip .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes me too! How good to see what you've done over the week! Justify the cake & hot chocolate eh? We did something similar in Zel am Ziller a couple of years back but it just totted up the amount of kilometres!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hear is a tip for food on the mountain, just buy one meal between two as the portions are huge and the price is then reasonable.
snow conditions
Heres another one use the less used restaurants out of the sun, Jagerstubli just up from the Aspen Restaurant on the route down from the Mannlichen is much better than Aspen, Brandegg offers good food at a fair price and plenty of it but use the table service rather than self service section, the prices are almost the same but the portions are often larger, Wengeneralp Hotel is Expensive, as is Marys cafe (also known as witches house) at Innerwengen or at least it is since the Hotel Regina aquired it. Kleine Scheidegg Station Buffet is not bad nor last time I went the Restaurant at Eigergletscher.

Some restaurants will offer meals for more than one person ,such as a huge pot of spaghetti or a big bowl of soup to share

Restaurants with big sun terrasses and great views charge more, it's the same the world over. Station Buffets in Switzerland often (not always) offer for the Swiss good value for money, at current exchange rates we probably term it more bearable.

If you really want to save money take an extra roll or two at breakfast and some cheese and ham if you have a buffet at your hotel, there is a picnic room downstairs at the top station of the GGM Gondola, door on outside of building facing Mannlichen Restaurant, its warm, dry and has a nice picture window, not so nice are the waiting rooms at most of the railway stations but I've never been chucked out of one for eating

Oh and it looks like snow is on the way to the area again probably 10cm on Tuesday and maybe some later in the week around Saturday (50/50)
snow conditions
One of our favourite places to eat is Alpiglen. You have to get off the train though and it's about a 100m walk on the flat. We always have the meal that's bread soaked in wine (sounds disgusted but it's not) it's then covered in cheese & veg & grilled. It might be called Kaseschnitte??? Very filling and sharable.
We were disappointed, however, a couple of years ago to find the restaurant had been "modernised" we prefered it olde worlde.
D G ORF, is the Jagerstubli the open air bar right facing the Eiger? The one with the portaloos???. Best view, worst toilets Sad ha ha
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
They're building that damn bar again in front of my webcam Confused

https://www.downhillonly.com/live-cameras-and-weather/

Mike's DHO cams are now on the Bergfex site - where you can watch the shed being built for the Lauberhorn races- and eventually taken down again with daily photo history.
http://www.bergfex.ch/jungfrau-maennlichen-wengen/webcams/c7421/

http://www.bergfex.ch/jungfrau-maennlichen-wengen/webcams/c7422/
ski holidays
sherlockis, nice one thanks mate Very Happy
snow report
suzysue2, if you follow the Red Piste no.3 Down the Mannlichen to just before the point where it meets Red No.21 from the bottom of the Tschuggen Drag lift you will find the Jagerstubli, it's a little single story building by the side of the road with usually a few tables outside, it's maybe a couple of hundred meters up the road from the Aspen Restaurant which is where the two pistes actually meet, if you come down the Red 21 there is usually a little signboard pointing to the left that takes you down an incredibly narrow cut through maybe 3ft wide and on to the Jagerstubli (assuming it hasn't closed). Assuming it is still there the food has always been good and portions generous.
snow conditions
D G Orf, still there, and your description is good. I think that the open air / portaloo bar that suzysue2, is describing is the one on the Arven piste where the run turns right just before the lifts. She's right about the loos!
snow report
Thanks Telford-mike, that's exactly right! 2 years ago I had to use before we went off to meet friends at Brandegg, when we arrived there we realised that hubby had left backpack on the table! So we had to go back up on train, ski down to lift then back up chair (arven or honegg.) then collect the bag that was still there! Unfortunately by the time we got back we both needed to use the bloody awful portal loo once more!
D G ORf, I will seek the restaurant out you mentioned, always looking for something different to try! Thinking of having a go on the zip wire at First, any of you had a go?
snow report
suzysue2,
http://youtube.com/v/T_wWh7CrVWg I took this while riding the gondola a few summers ago.
ski holidays
I'm just back from my first Wengen trip, my thoughts: Probably the most scenic ski resort we have ever visited, no queues & nice quiet runs. Thought the trains were great & used them a lot to get up to Kleine Scheidegg, food & drinks on the mountains didn't seem any dearer than France & the toilets were definitely better! Stayed at the Silberhorne & were impressed by the service & great food, for the first time ever I have put on weight on a ski holiday Shocked Particularly enjoyed a trip to the Piz Gloria revolving restaurant on the Schilthorn & the black down from there was in good condition & not as challenging as expected. All in all a good trip snowHead
latest report
Blimey, I didn't realise it was that far off the ground!!! Might have a re think on that one ha ha
snow report
Kim was up for it but I wasn't, especially after lunch.
snow report
Its snowing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, of course it is though not much in Wengen yet, I think there should be more tomorrow, the midnight hours often seem to cause a drop off in snowfall hat resumes around dawn
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it still snowing? You can't tell from the webcams, but the cow is covered and the village is white Very Happy . Nearly time. Very Happy
latest report
About 20cm in town. I'm going up to dick about in the trees.
ski holidays
Ooooo Very Happy Very Happy

Another question please, this time about trains and getting to/from grindlewald & murren.

I think I have the journey to murren in my head. Train down to lauterbrunnen, cross road, gondola up and then train across ridge. To come back we will have to download by gondola to lauterbrunnen, trains run all evening. Is this correct?

For grindlewald, it's up to mannlichen and then down to grindlewald. How do I get to the slopes on the other side of valley? by bus? Is the connection simple? To come back I need to get the train up to Kleine Schedegg, is that right? Do I have to change trains at KS ( if late) or does train carry on down to lauterbrunnen via wengen?

Is there a timetable leaflet available in village? I presume there is, we are talking Switzerland after all Very Happy
snow report
NE1, For Murren from Wengen, as you say take train down to Lauterbrunnen, cross road and take the cable car (not a gondola) up to Grutschalp. From there a train will meet you - you can either stay on all the way to Murren or (my recommendation) get out at the first stop (Winteregg) where there is a chairlift that takes you straight into the Murren ski area. Coming back you can either go back to Grutschalp and take the cable car down to Lauterbrunnen, or an alternative if you are in Murren is to take the 2 stage cable car to Stechelberg in the valley from where a ski bus takes you back to Lauterbrunnen.
For Grindelwald the skiing on the other side of the valley is at First - there are frequent bus services that runs from the bus station in Grindelwald. When you ski down from the Wengen side to Grindelwald you arrive in a region called Grindelwald Grund - there are bus services from there to the bus station or there is also a train link from Grindelwald Grund to Grindelwald main train station which is just about 200 yds from the bus station. Returning from Grindelwald to Wengen then as you say you could take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg, change trains (the same train never travels between Grindelwald and Wengen - they all terminate at KS from their respective valley sides) then train down to Wengen, or alternatively from Grindelwald you can travel to Lauterbrunnen (change at Zweilutschinen) then train back up to Wengen.

And yes, pocket sized timetables are readily available at the stations! Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 14-01-14 11:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Some speedriding by Ueli Kestenholz around the Schilthorn:

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/taming-the-jungfrau-with-a-wing-and-some-skis-%7C-ride-the-elements-with-ueli-kestenholz-ep-4/270134
latest report
NE1, third alternative from Murren if conditions are good, ski down to Lauterbrunnen

Trains have to be changed at Kleine Schidegg because of opperating rules, the engine (motor) must always be on the downhill side, so if a train goes up from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg it cannot then go down the other side, in actual fact it is possible to take the same train all the way, because burried in the mountainside under the Lauberhorn is a reversing Y which lets them do this, but as a matter of practicallity it's a lot easier and less bother to simply change trains.

Timetables available in all stations and cable car terminals, probably the gondolas as well, you can get a fold out detailed one on paper but there is usually a waterproof mini timetable that you can put with your ski pass, all for free of course.
ski holidays
Isn't Wengen civilised wink
snow conditions
NE1 wrote:

Indeed it is, the training run for the Lauberhorn downhill is cancelled today, so the teams are amusing themselves by having a curling tournament! Shocked
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.459232707512081.1073741840.136378366464185&type=3
ski holidays
NE1 wrote:

I thought so until I came across the "gentleman only" club, Kim steered me clear!
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Chris Brookes, of course it is though not much in Wengen yet, I think there should be more tomorrow, the midnight hours often seem to cause a drop off in snowfall hat resumes around dawn

There's been enough to cancel the training run today, forecast looks interesting for the weekend. Looks like they will be out all Friday night working on the freshly fallen snow ready for the downhill on Saturday.
ski holidays
suzysue2, The First zip wire thing is a giggle. It IS high. But you're well strapped in. It's also not really that fast to be honest.
Certainly, it looks a lot more wild than it is. Though I guess it's all relative!

Being on the ski pass, if the queues aren't too bad, it's rude not to have a go really! The queue's do take quite a while, although they might not look very long, they have to haul all the harnesses all the way back up after each run so it's easy to lose an hour waiting...
snow conditions
Oooh I might still have a go then! I'm not so good at queuing so if there's not much of one I might join! I am a bit of a dare devil. Is there a weight limit for it? One of the guys with our group is a big 'un!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy