Warning: file_get_contents(https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.json?url=http://vimeo.com/80150541#at=1&width=640): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /var/www/html/ski-forum/includes/xtrafunctions.php on line 3631
Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2 (34), snowHeads ski forum
 Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Mürren getting ready for the season -

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The countdown has started!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really low temperatures = tons of snowmaking Very Happy

From @wengen.com
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hope they break up those piles before they freeze solid or the kids will have real problems on the nursery slope
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Before the lifts open above Mürren its a bit of a hike..... but this is the reward

http://vimeo.com/80150541#at=1

from Pearsonstyle http://ps.bloglounge.ch/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another lovely day

From @WengenSwiss
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More lifts & pistes open this weekend, including the Mannlichen - Scheidegg liaison, and Eigernordwand. No Tschuggenlift yet, so not possible to do the return trip back to Mannlichen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fairly thick cloud in the area today looks to have dissuaded many people from coming out, but those that do are probably enjoying the little bit of fresh snow, about 10cm of fresh in Wengen this morning, not much open at Murren, but only Honegg, Tschuggen, Fallboden, Bumps and Innerwengen lifts shut an the Mannlichen Kleine Scheidegg ridge, the last 3 are no surprise, Not enough snow at Innerwengen for them to open, Bumps and Tschuggen are both drag lifts and they don't like opening those without a good bit of snow on the ground, expect upper slopes for Honegg Lift are still a bit thin, it gets wind blown so requires a good bit of snow to build up depth, About half the lifts open at First right up to top of First, again not many on slopes there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christmas market in the village today.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely weather today, plenty of people enjoying lunch at the Mannlichen but not many on the Lauberhorn, I assume they're all eating at Kleine Scheidegg right now
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chance of a few snow showers tomorrow (Friday) but then it looks like clear but cold weather for a good 5 days
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just booked a week from the 4th Jan staying in the Falken and am now looking at ski passes, we are a good intermediate skier and very experienced boarder.

Is the general wisdom that it's worthwhile going for the more expensive ticket that also covers Murren or is it too much hassle to get over there?

I'm also thinking about getting 7 day passes so we can get a few hours in on Saturday afternoon since the flight arrives in Geneva at 9.35 in the morning.

Does anyone have experience with Thomson/Crystal and transfer timing etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimboS, You can book a 6 day Jungfrau region skipass online at 20% discount providing you book it at least a few weeks beforehand, so don't delay! Go to http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/skipass?___from_store=de

You'll see that the entire Jungfrau region skipass (which covers Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren ski areas) is reduced from 323CHF to 258CHF (or if you get a 7 day pass it's reduced from 358CHF to 286CHF). This discounted Jungfrau region skipass deal is cheaper than just buying the undiscounted Grindelwald and Wengen area skipass which is 291CHF for 6 days or 319CHF for 7 days, so going for the discounted Jungfrau region skipass is a no-brainer. Like I say, the discount is only available up to a certain period before the skipass start date, so don't delay in ordering!

As regards transfer times from Geneva, do you know if it is a coach transfer or train transfe? Either way I would doubt very much that you'd be arriving in Wengen before 2pm on the Sat, and by the time you've checked into the hotel etc I would have thought any skiing you'd manage in the afternoon would be very limited.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the tip on the discount, I think we will go for the 6 day full area, we should be just in time as it says you need to book a minimum of 21 days in advance.

It is coach transfer from Geneva, we can always go for a half day pass if we get there early enough.

How long does it take to get over to Murren?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It will take 40 mins from Wengen to Winteregg (the stop before Mürren or 48mins to Mürren village). You can get off at Winteregg and jump on a chairlift. Depending on the snow conditions you can also ski back down to Lauterbrunnen via Winteregg -

piste map -
http://schilthorn.ch/en/Angebot/Schilthorn/Winter/Ski_area

whole ski area -
http://cdn.myswitzerland.com/wispo_images/karten/742_KARTE.jpg
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
How long does it take to get over to Murren?

Look at my post in response to the same question from NE1 on page 31 of this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2387934&highlight=winteregg#2387934 i.e you can be skiing in the Murren ski area within 3/4 hour of leaving Wengen.

Edit: I see Chris Brookes beat me to it! Laughing
ski holidays
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help with my questions this morning? I've booked some flights (because Inghams didn't have any availability!) through swiss air and intend to holiday in Murren. The flights out are Saturday 25th January and return Sunday 2nd feb. I understand that hotels and s/c don't like splitting the week and we are fully aware we may have to move hotels or travel back to Zurich on the 1st and are happy with this.
I've contacted a few hotels re availability but havn't had replies yet. Just wondering if I've missed a trick somewhere? Are there any sites I should be going through re bookings? Does anyone know of any appartments with at least 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms? I'm starting to panic a bit now ha ha
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Suzy sue
snow conditions
You could try the tourist office, but right now a lot of hoteliers in the area are on holiday themselves, I would imagine they will be back by the end of the coming week and sending out replies by then, some of the bigger hotels have a person who comes in once every few days to check such things when they are shut but not all, if Murren give you no joy there's always Wengen
latest report
suzysue2The Murren Inferno ski race is on the 25th January 2014 which means that the Murren hotels are full for that night. If you start your booking from the 26th January you might have more luck.
snow conditions
suzysue2, If you are looking for one night's accommodation in the area (either at the start of your trip or at the end) then I've found that you can usually find several hotels in Interlaken that take one night bookings. Try www.laterooms.com

Your Jungfrau region skipass covers the train travel between Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald, so you can still go skiing fairly easily on the day from Interlaken.
ski holidays
suzysue2, contact Mürren tourism with your required dates ( info@muerren.ch ) but as mentioned by riverman its a real busy time due to the Inferno.

Try in the mean time this site and email the hotels/Guesthouses directly (even closed they still pick up emails at least once a day)- http://www.muerren.ch

Another option is staying in Gimmelwald - http://www.gimmelwald.ch/e/accommodation/accommodation.htm

Hope that helps
snow conditions
I have to post pictures which I took today of my dogs celebrating this Christmas....with a hat for a few seconds (this is our 13th year with them)

Isobel

Harvey

and our latest member to the family -

Poppy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 8-12-13 22:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Chris Brookes, Lovely! Very Happy
latest report
Thanks guys, it's all sorted now Happy can't wait! I feel like Muerren is my second home! Counting down the days.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Great dogs! Toofy Grin
snow report
Just to say thank you for the advice! We are just back from Grindelwald and absolutely loved it. We skiied back into the village on 21 - first ever experience of skiing past farms and hearing cowbells Wink

Definitely up for going back for longer, with the trains, wurst as skiing fuel and quaintness it was a lovely change from our usual mega modern French resorts.

Enjoy the season!
snow conditions
Doh, not 21 but 22 - the v long blue from kleine scheidegg!
ski holidays
just popping in to let everyone know, I'm still lurking this thread. Couldn't make a booking work for this year, mainly because we're still having to maximize value for money...

just a small thanks to the regular posters here and the lovely pics, it makes my heart swell NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peezafreeza, well done, you're the first Snowhead to get some turns in this season in the Jungfrau Region Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
5 weeks on Saturday for us. Very Happy
snow report
4 weeks on Saturday for us Madeye-Smiley
latest report
gamer2471, 2 weeks on Saturday for us Madeye-Smiley
snow report
3 weeks on Saturday for us.

We booked the Falken, which has mainly great reviews but a couple of bad ones for travellers who ended up with a small bedroom, so Kim emailed them last night and asked that we did not end up in one of the small ones.

Result!

"Thank you for your e-mail. I herewith confirm that we have attributed to you a superior twin room with large bathroom with bath tub, balcony and stunning view of the Jungfrau."
snow report
JimboS, The Falken is one of the historic hotels of Wengen, and has a good central location. It is a few hundred yards up a fairly steepish slope from the train station, but the plus side is that you can ski back to the hotel (the ski and boot room is a separate building at the back of the hotel which you can get to at the end of the day by returning through the tunnel underneath the railway line and then using the rope tow from there that takes you a few yards up to the top of the nursery slopes).

The Falken has been in the hands of the Cova family for several generations. I don't know if it's true or not, but I'd heard that many years ago when it was in the hands of the old mother that she didn't spend much on maintenance and the roof developed a leak so that there were buckets placed at strategic locations to catch the drips! Back then it was affectionately known to some of the British clientele as Fawlty Towers! Laughing When her daughter, Sina Cova, took over one of the first things she did was to get a new roof installed. In one of the lounge bars there is a piano, and most evenings there is a pianist. If you are lucky enough to be there when the American Jazz pianist Al Copley is in residence then you are in for a treat, he is a superb musician and towards the end of his set he always does some 50's rock 'n roll classics -many people staying in other hotels go there in the evening to hear him play. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, perfectly true about the leaks, a friend of mine and his (I think) brother put the new roof on the summer after Sina took over and there were indeed many many buckets. They also replaced/repaired the balconies, some of which were apparently held on only by string/washing line or a few nails Shocked
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
-many people staying in other hotels go there in the evening to hear him play. Madeye-Smiley

Absolutely. The Falken is a great place. I expect we'll be having our Christmas dinner there this year.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
gamer2471, 2 weeks on Saturday for us Madeye-Smiley

And us snowHead
snow report
6 week on Saturday for us Happy flying into Zurich for the first time then transfer by train to Murren. Any tips for catching the train in Zurich? Is the station in the airport? Is there a Migros supermarket (or other) on the station? Thinking of first class, I wonder if they're are trains with an upstairs as there are from Geneva?

Anyone know of any live music in any of the hotels /guest houses of Murren for the end of January?
snow report
suzysue2, from memory Zurich airport station is under the airport I think level-2 Migros, coop and foodland all on level 0 http://www.zurich-airport.com/ lots of info
snow report
2 weeks on Friday for us Smile 21 in our party this year, it's going to be tough finding tables for all of us at Brandegg! #upstairs room Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy