Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
feef, from Interlaken the front section of the train goes to Lauterbrunnen and the rear section to Grindlewald. Clearly marked on the train though.
As far as changing at Berne, we've never had a problem in making the connection. Enjoy the journey
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
where in this thread do you tell where to stay, looking for s/c apartment over Easter... hopefully doorstep skiing, or as close to as possible

thx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HeidiAmsterdam, in which village ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not particular, or should I be?

I am considering this for Easter, but only have the Friday and the Monday off, well, speaking of the kids then...so just looking to get a bit altitude where the skiing is still decent, and we can get some steep skiing in. The kids will ski blacks and those 'yellow' runs all day long, I ski a few of them, then take a coffee whilst they go off in the freestyle park...

I've never skied there, so don't really know what I should be looking for. I just know the altitude in general looks decent, and from where I'm at, it is one of the shortest drives to altitude and some serious terrain to keep us entertained for 4 days.

So, tell me what to do with 4 days...and husband doesn't ski, so we try to come back around every so often, like for lunch to make sure he still has an internet connection. Blush
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Not particular, or should I be?

Yes, if visiting at Easter
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thinking about Wengen...or for Easter do you recommend somewhere else? My other option Engelberg. I have an option there on an accommodation within budget, and well placed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
where in this thread do you tell where to stay, looking for s/c apartment over Easter... hopefully doorstep skiing, or as close to as possible

thx

http://www.chalet-service.com Lots of apartments in Wengen, highly recommended.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK - poll

Easter, this year.

Wengen, Grindewald or Engelberg.

We have 4 days, so was thinking Engelberg might be nice for 4 days, then could do Wengen on a trip where we had more ski days...

But, I've not skied any of this area, so I haven't a clue, just looking at piste maps, and altitude to sort it out, which isn't the same as opinions of people who've been there.

I have an option on a doorstep apartment in Engelberg for 150 CHF per night, which seems pretty decent, that weighs into the occasion. The difference in travel time from where I'm at is about 15 minutes longer to Wengen, so a non issue IMO.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With only 4 days just about anywhere will be fine. Personally I'd be going to Wengen - easiest access to the most extensive skiing. Can't predict the weather though, Engelberg has the glacier which might be handy if we get a heatwave.

I'll be in Wengen as usual Smile we go every year and stay right up to Easter, always good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HeidiAmsterdam, personally I'd go with Wengen but I'd guess it may depend on accommodation costs more than anything else, the majority of skiing in Engelberg is down from Mt Titlis whilst Wengen has a much larger ski area and probably a bit more tree lined skiing if the weather is bad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feef, we did the trip from Zurich airport during half term week - 6 of us, plus luggage - the connections are tight, but we managed them all, and if you do miss one, it seemed like there were trains every half hour or so. SBB (Swiss railways) have a good app, which gives you details for all the platforms of each train. If you have big bags with wheels, look out for the ramps, rather than the stairs, which make the platform changes easier. If you are on your own it should be quite straightforward as you wont have to keep checking you have everyone plus all their bags, coats, helmets etc... We found it made a very relaxing way to get to resort, though depending on the day and time you are travelling the trains can be quite full, probably not a problem if you are travelling on your own.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HeidiAmsterdam, personally i would head to Mürren due to village charm, views, slope accessibility, higher altitude more snow sure, Schilthorn and easy access to Wengen.

Mürren

Views
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HeidiAmsterdam, we were in Grindelwald a couple of weeks ago, and gained the impression that the Jungfrau region is great if you have a non-skier as there is so much walking, trains to get about on, and the tobogganing is another option (though this depends on his reasons for being a non skier - I felt the tobogganing was more risky than skiing, not great for people with back problems). Can't comment on how it would compare to Engelberg for a non skier as have never been there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, well the thing is, ultimately I'd like to ski both.

I have to say, Wengen looks very tempting!!! And all things being equal, I lean in that direction. BUT, given we only have ski days, and Engelberg is smaller, especially when you cut out the runs below 1800m, it seems like the 'right' time to try Engelberg... If it were a weeks skiing, Wengen would be the clear winner.

But like I said, Wengen looks awfully tempting...looks like a place I'd rather try than Engelberg, all considerations balanced.

Sorry for my mega-waffle here...and of course I ask this on Jungfrau thread, being the Engelberg thread is non-existent or buried deep somewhere in this forum that I can't find it. I did also like the idea of the glacier skiing, should the weather go pear shaped before Easter. After just returning from 4 Valley's, some tree skiing sounds very appealing...

Looks like Wengen might cost me a pretty penny for half term next year, but if I'm lucky, maybe the difference in price won't be an issue...

Finally, the above was random rambling with no particular meaning or conclusion...I guess if I won't be *unhappy* in Engelberg, I should go there, given I've got a good accommodation sorted, s/c that is willing to take us for 4 nights at this point in the season. And the big question is, when and how do I get myself to Wengen?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes,

That looks fabulous! Wow!

making it more difficult than ever for me...

I will be driving from Amsterdam, so trains aren't an issue.
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Chris Brookes,I will be driving from Amsterdam, so trains aren't an issue.

If visiting Mürren & Wengen you have to leave your car in the valley as they are car-free.

Mürren live webcam
http://hoteledelweiss.roundshot.ch/

Valley webcam-
http://www.jungfraumarketing.ch/webcam/lauterbrunnen/cam1/current.jpg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-03-13 20:14; edited 3 times in total
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam, If you are driving, I presume you will be leaving your car in the large multi-level car park in Lauterbrunnen (both Wengen and Murren are inaccesible by road). If you do want to do the Wengen and Murren areas one option is to actually stay in Lauterbrunnen (which lies in the valley between the two resorts)- you'll find that accommodation will be cheaper there than either Wengen or Murren themselves.
snow report
Alastair Pink, Chris Brookes,

So that does raise a logistical issue. I reckon we'd be arriving around midnight on Thursday, could we still reach Wengen or Murren that time of night?

Gosh, so many km of pistes to ski, with so few days of in the winter...I reckon I should make a 10 year plan!
snow conditions
Two ways getting upto Mürren each one being a quick cablecar. The last one from Lauterbrunnen leaves at 20:30 (20 min cablecar/train ride)but if you drive further into the valley to Stechleberg you can catch the last one at 23:45 (10 min cablecar ride)

Ski map showing how to access Mürren

snow conditions
This information is golden.

As far as arriving, that is going to depend on traffic on the autobahn in Germany. How busy it will be the day we drive, is anyone's guess. I will leave my kids' school probably at 15.30 and google maps says it's an 8 hour drive...usually we go faster than google maps making up time in the no speed limit zones in Germany, but no guarantees, and then down side would be paying for lodging twice on the Thursday - as I'm finding that I'm lucky to have owners grant me a 4 night rental rather than the usual 7 night minimum....

Thinking, Engelberg makes more sense when I do the spreadsheet exercise, but my heart would want to go to Murren or Wengen - - but I guess that will have to be next winter... half term. I've booked La Tzoumaz for Christmas New Year as we are with a larger group then and have extra considerations with said larger group..that make Murren and Wengen not a good choice.
ski holidays
Couple of quick Qs regarding ski-lifts in the Jungfrau region...
We are going Tobogganing for a week - however we have bought the full area ski lift passes (as was cheaper than the dedicated toboggan and walk lift pass) - they had a special offer (might still ?)

Are we (as non-skiers) allowed on the ski lifts as "walkers" ?
Are we as tobogganists allowed on ski lifts with said toboggans - for instance for the Gimmeln to Murren toboggan run (I imagine certainly not - but thought i should clarify/check to be sure)

As a side note - do you get many non-skiers/boarders on ski lifts ?
- i guess as we have the pass we are entitled to use them ! (with or without skis or boards stapped to out feet) - so can make our way upto vantage points before heading back down on the lift (as walkers)

will we be looked at strangly by the lifties ?? Puzzled Blush Very Happy

thanks as usual for any advice / info
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
This information is golden.

As far as arriving, that is going to depend on traffic on the autobahn in Germany. How busy it will be the day we drive, is anyone's guess. I will leave my kids' school probably at 15.30 and google maps says it's an 8 hour drive...usually we go faster than google maps making up time in the no speed limit zones in Germany, but no guarantees, and then down side would be paying for lodging twice on the Thursday - as I'm finding that I'm lucky to have owners grant me a 4 night rental rather than the usual 7 night minimum....

Thinking, Engelberg makes more sense when I do the spreadsheet exercise, but my heart would want to go to Murren or Wengen - - but I guess that will have to be next winter... half term. I've booked La Tzoumaz for Christmas New Year as we are with a larger group then and have extra considerations with said larger group..that make Murren and Wengen not a good choice.

for future reference - Mürren is very child friendly,car-free and very safe. The nursery slopes are right in the village with superb access to hotels and apartments

snow report
Indeed -

At Christmas my family comes, with a baby of one year, and need better-easier airport access from Geneva, this changing trains thing with small kids and equipment will do their heads in. Plus, I am situated 200 meters from the baby slope in La Tzoumaz for the beginner skiers, and then my Mom is there too - -plus the price on the place we got seems to be about half of what we'd pay in Murren or the likes...

So, Murren is the Feb 2014 goal...
ski holidays
Good Morning..... Winteregg to Shilthornbahn on Skis Question..... I intend to show our group how to get from Grindelwald to Winteregg (train transfer etc) early next week. Last year when we visited we enjoyed lots of nice runs starting there ....I would also like to navigate them towards the Shilthornbahn station to go up higher if nice weather. I am familiar with Red Run (Palace) #5 then the Allmendhubl funicular. From the top of that it seemed we always had to do the short run to the t-bar. Assuming that part is correct .... which trail(S) best get you to the Shilthornbahn area OR do we just walk through Murren once we end Red run 5?

One other question? Are there any blue / red TREE runs on the Schiltgrat / Gimmeln side? We never skied that section last year - just thinking of next week's forecast and possible visibility issues if precip /clouds move in. We are not used to above tree line skiing. Thanks much - this forum is always very very helpful to us visitors. Maryellen
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/dnSC-I3G6ms
snow report
Chris Brookes,

you're killing me!
snow conditions
gamer2471, All the big cablecars and trains in the area will definetly let you take sleds on them, I think the Gondolas will as well, the chairlifts might at one or two locations I'm not sure likewise I'm not sure about walking and chairlifts some might allow you, I suspect most would argue there is a risk of injury when getting off, for Gimmeln to Murren there's no direct lift from bottom to top of run so I think you probably have to walk, All the runs on the Manlichen to Eigergletscher ridge (down to Grund and Wengen) can be reached by train, The Long run above Grindelwald you have two choices, theres a bus that goes about 23rds the way up or you get the Gondola up to First and then walk across to the start of the run.

Hope that helps

PS travel after 10am for less packed trains and cablecars, most of the ski schools start about then so the 10am departure times are the busiest
snow report
Well I made it no problem. The train connections ran like a Swiss watch.

Spent today getting to know the kliene schidegg area, and enjoying the spring snow.

Getting a little slushy down towards grund, but it's fine higher up. Forecast is for the temperature to drop over the week, but I'm expecting more of the same tomorrow. A bit overcast, and while there were a few moments that the sun came through, the light was a bit flat for most of the day..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef wrote:
Well I made it no problem. The train connections ran like a Swiss watch.

Spent today getting to know the kliene schidegg area, and enjoying the spring snow.

Getting a little slushy down towards grund, but it's fine higher up. Forecast is for the temperature to drop over the week, but I'm expecting more of the same tomorrow. A bit overcast, and while there were a few moments that the sun came through, the light was a bit flat for most of the day..

If you had been staying in Mürren you could be watching the final of the 7th Whitestyle Open

enjoy Jungfrau Region !!
snow report
Chris Brookes,

All your enthusiasm is contagious...logistically, I doubt I can make the last train up on the Thursday before Easter when I leave school on time, and encounter even the slightest of delay...and given I've only got the 4 days, I don't want to be sleeping one night here, then next night there...it has to be simple.

So, as a compromise was wondering if you about staying in Grindelwald, presumably then could make ski itineraries over to Wengen and Murren, can drive to the village itself, and leave my car parked in front of the place I rented, and scope out Murren for the next trip...

Or do you think I run a chance the snow there will be porridge? Presumably getting colder again now, with hopes of snowfall...

I know, I'm a complete waffle! Embarassed But really, Chris Brookes, all your pics and posts just got me thinking, I've really got to go there...
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam, I think for 4 days and with a good deal on accommodation I'd go the Engelberg choice, save Wengen till another year, I'm sure it will still be there Laughing
snow report
D G Orf,

Likely, you are the voice of sensibility...

The Engelberg drive is 20 minutes less then Jungfrau region, I know that isn't a lot, but that is 40 minutes round trip, and late in the night, 20 minutes does seem like a long time...and the point of this trip is skiing, not driving!

Accommodation in Engelberg seems to be next to the gondola (3 min walk), fireplace, balcony, covered parking and with sheets/towels/cleaning fee, all-in other words, 600 CHF for the 4 nights...hard to beat it with a stick I'd reckon.
latest report
Cracking day in Wengen, warm, sunny and great pistes.

Temp about +10 as I write this, but still no brown/bare spots at all. Forecast is another couple of warm but mainly cloudy days, then cold with snow Smile
snow report
Gloomy and wet today, snowed quite heavily for a time this morning.

Still quite mild, but the weather's definitely changing.
snow report
Snowing BIGTIME in Jersey

Heavy snow and freezing temperatures have caused chaos across Jersey & Guernsey - and blizzard conditions are expected tonight and tomorrow.

The Met Office has issued a rare Red Weather Warning and says tonight the islands could see the worst snow storm in thirty years.

Temperatures will struggle to get above zero degrees Celsius, but with severe gale force 9 easterly winds with gusts to 65 mph it will feel more like -8C.

The airport,Schools,harbour and all transport has come to a halt...its bad

Picture of our garden earlier this afternoon before it got alot worse (calm before the storm)

It took me 2 hours getting home today after closing my shop earlier due to the bad weather (on the way home had to stop as the road was blocked !!)
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, Did you see the thread I started: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98903 ?
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Chris Brookes, Did you see the thread I started: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98903 ?

No, i didnt see it but will post on it now Wink
ski holidays
Weather in the Bernese Oberland rather better than the Channel Islands by the looks of things. Another warm, sunny day here. The Standard run down towards Mary's Cafe this afternoon.

Snow forecast tomorrow.
snow conditions
Todays picture of the garden

the roads -
snow conditions
@ DG Orf .... thankyou for your reply.. as we went last year the only Toboggan runs we did not do in the whole area were those over in Murren - so will be doing those next week to complete the entire set Very Happy

I guess we will ask a few locals when we arrive about "pedestrians" using the ski lifts... (we have the passes - but not sure we can go sightseeing on them without skii's or boards strapped to feet).

Anyone else have an opinion regarding non-skiiers on a skilift ? Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy