Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Brilliant, tks. Sounds like a great schedule! Am i right thinking the train is the way to get up, ignoring the ski bus as it seems to take longer?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Train is the way, every 30 minutes from Interlaken Ost. You will need the full Jungfrau pass that covers Wengen/Maennlichen, First and Murren, and the journey up from Interlaken Ost
You might want to look at the Saturday deals where your children travel free
http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/ski-region/benefits/#children-travel-free-on-saturdays_156
But this may not work out quite so well if you also have to buy day passes for the Sunday as well

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 11-02-13 16:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool. tks. Have a swiss half price rail card, and a "carte junior" so the kids travel free on regular trains - but mountain trains are an exception to that as i grumpily found out when trying to get them up to gonnergrat in zermatt for 0.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
coddlesangers, generally the train is easier, however it does slightly depend on where in Interlaken you are staying also the train is only covered by the Ski Pass if you have a full area pass but it's only a little more than the smaller area passes so it's probably worth it.

Generally if you are on the East side of Interlaken the Train from Interlaken Ost station is much easier, if you are in the centre the Bus though slower may be more convenient, if you are near Interlaken West station grab a ticket to Ost and change trains there, trains From Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen usually go from Platform 2, the trains split at Zweilutschinen the front half (Sektor A at Interlaken Ost) going on to Lauterbrunnen where you can change again for either the cablecar (then train) to Murren or the Train to Wengen and Kleine Schidegg, the rear half (Sektor B at Interlaken Ost) goes to Grindelwald where you can either grab the bus or (quite a walk) walk up to the First Gondola or take the Train to Grund and Kleine Schidegg the bus will also from memory take you to the Grund railway station and the Grund end of the Mannlichen Gondola.

I personally would suggest going up via Lauterbrunnen because I think the Scenery is slightly prettier on the Wengen train you want to ideally be on the right hand side of the train facing forwards to get the best views, if you go up to Murren Via the cablecar from Lauterbrunnen theres a short (nearly flat) railway line that goes from the cablecar to Murren itself (choose left hand side of train facing forwards for views) and then you walk through teh village to the Cablecar up to Piz Gloria, alternatively you can get teh bus from the railway station at Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, where there's another cable car station that will take you up to Murren with no walk required in Murren itself but I prefer the little train route Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lovely - we are staying not far at all from Interlaken Ost, sounds like hopping onto the front of the train there and on to Lauterbrunnen is the plan!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
coddlesangers, That's what I'd do Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another day of excellent weather. This was taken around 12:30 today at Birg and I couldn't believe how quiet it was with no lift Q's and empty slopes !!.

After 3pm the snow clouds started to come roll in and it hasn't stopped snowing since.

As always more pics on my twitter page
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Jungfrau website keeps reporting that most of the valley runs from KS to Wengen and Grindelwald are closed. Are they just being slackers and not updating their site or is something actually going on like avalanche danger. Wouldn't think they would want to chase people away by reporting that most of their easy runs are closed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skifast, All open now, maybe time of day related wink?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skifast, will depend on what time of day you look at the site, they live update all the lifts so when they shut for the evening they will show on the website as being shut wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a fantastic couple of days in Wengen, what a fabulous place! So good to be somewhere that's a village before it's a ski resort. If anyone's a fan of the lakes and looking to turn the journey from the airport into an experience, then get a supersaver ticket for the Zurich HB-Luzern-Interlaken Ost route - 35CHFs each way for a really great set of views.

Thanks for the tips on the runs to take - I went down to Brandegg on the Grindelwald side, then back up and got off the train about 2/3 of the way down to Wengen and cruised into the village. Tried Mannlichen yesterday but only got about 200m into the blue no. 2 before my dodgy knee went on strike and forced me to bail out and walk down to the Mannlichen chair. Which I failed to get off with any dignity, so apologies if you were held up whilst I dragged myself out of the way Wink. There were almost no flat spots on that run that would require a kick-push on a board though which was good.

Really looking forward to going back there, but since it'll take my knee another 6 weeks to heal it looks like it's going to have to wait until next winter barring an unseasonably cold April!

Thanks again guys Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Woke up this morning with it still snowing but by 10am it started to clear.

It was wonderful up at Birg with loads of powder on and off the piste. By 2pm the snow clouds started to roll in again and it hasn't stopped so we all went for a swim

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 17-02-13 18:28; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Superb weather again above Murren today and excellent powder

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 19-02-13 10:21; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New roundshot camera at Mannlichen:

http://panocam.skiline.cc/maennlichen
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Footage i took at the end of play this Wednesday (13th) at 16:30
End of day above the clouds from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/59852312
snow report
Footage of me Tadem Paragliding with Beni from Airtime Paragliding ( http://airtime-paragliding.ch ) off the Schiltgrat at 2145m flying over Mürren and then heading down into Stechelberg at 900m......Amazing !!

Tadem Paragliding with Beni from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/59946545
snow conditions
Any hope of a fresh top up snow-wise in the not to distant future ?...
this site says no.. but any indication yet what's likely to be on the horizon for mid-march ? (best guestimates i know/appreciate)

http://www.yr.no/place/Switzerland/Bern/Wengen~2658020/long.html

seems to be very quiet weatherwise at the moment - just a dusting here and there...
snow conditions
gamer2471, a few cm (perhaps 10 in total) over next few days then a possibility of some at the start of March though it may well be rain at least at lower levels
snow conditions
Fellow Snowheads snowHead snowHead

Your generosity will be really really appreciated if you could donate to my just giving page for my charity challenge trek in Feb 2014 up Africa's highest mountain Mount Kilimanjaro at 5,895m for Autism Jersey.

I am doing this because they support my nephew who has severe autism. http://www.justgiving.com/ChrisBrookestrek

So please help support me & an amazing cause, every penny counts and will help massively.

You can also sponsor me by texting CPCB80 & the amount you would like to donate like £1 - £10 to 70070 either way they are safe & secure Thank you!

ps...donating by text only works in England and not in the Channel Islands wink
snow report
Just a note post trip to say thanks to all who helped out with advice - really loved the place. Its a bit of a trek from interlaken, but I knew that before travelling. Particularly enjoyed the ski down to Grindelwald from Kleine Scheidegg down 21, it was largely empty much to my amazement on a saturday afternoon. Didn't particularly enjoy the time it takes to get the bubble back up to mannlichen, leaving us with a connundrum - knew the last gondola back down to wengen where the OH was was at 16:45, so pegged it back down the nice fast red 3 to the chair lift, just in time, arriving at 16:29:30 ish just before its 16:30 closure, so no plenty of time there.. Cool

All the rushing was the fault of the stooopid hotel steinbock restaurant in lauterbrunnen, who took so long to serve us lunch that i missed out on a lot of the skiing....grrrrrrrr
ski holidays
Does anyone know the current opening hours for the Co-op in Wengen please ?...
Just trying to decide if we get our initial groceries delivered (limited choice) or, if the Co-op is open, we will load up on our arrival..
(probably won't bother with the Interlaken one - as will have enough luggage without adding to it at that point)

thanks for any info regarding times snowHead
snow report
gamer2471, I think it's Monday to Saturday until 18:30 but I may be wrong
ski holidays
gamer2471, Open every day in the season until 18.30.
snow report
thanks Guys - that helps..
appreciated.
ski holidays
After a bit of jiggery pokery since being made redundant, and sorting out some other stuff, I've managed to offload my Chamonix trip but also wangle 3 weeks in Grindelwald starting on the 8th.

Looking forward to it, and so will be lurking in this thread.

oh any any advice or tips on what's good and where to go would be appreciated (and I mean skiing, not apres)
ski holidays
New hotel/apartments being planned for Mürren which the locals are up in arms about which i completely agree with.

It will add another 300 beds to the 2000 beds already and be a 4 star rating, located here -

snow conditions
Chris Brookes, The location of the proposed Apartmenthotel looks quite close to the edge - hope none of the guests are prone to sleepwalking! Toofy Grin
latest report
As well as the new Bond World opening at the Schilthorn this summer they are also building a new viewing platform -

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ I can see the effort and long hours that have been put into the artwork there
snow report
How are conditions looking out there?
Checking the forecast, it looks like there's maybe a snowfall due this weekend?

I'm travelling out on Friday for 3 weeks. Hopefully it'll stay white enough for the duration

Also.. can anyone recommend somewhere for a bit of ski servicing in Grindelwald? I'll probably need them done at some point.
snow report
I second feef's question about the outlook for weekend and beyond. Last year I made my first visit as part of a ski club staying in Interlaken and a few of you were very very helpful in giving me some good tips for trails (eg Blue 22 from Kl. Scheidegg to Grund) and more. This time I am leading a group trip of 38 folks arriving on Sunday and staying in Grindelwald at the Derby. I am SO hoping for some clear days during our one week stay so we can enjoy Piz Gloria and Jungfraujoch vistas - let alone being able to see where we are skiing each day.

Would love to get an update late in the week as to how the runs into town are on either the Grindelwald (First or Grund) side or Wengen. Last year we only spent about two hours at First the entire week since there was very bad visibility there and the upper part all closed while they were doing avalanche control after a big storm. If anyone is familiar with the differences between the two red runs there (22 vs 23) I'd be grateful for the advice. I think I have the same kind of question skiing down to Grund via choices of RED ( 3, vs, 21, vs 23 from Brandegg .... any notable differences for ability? I guess a lot also depends on the conditions. Last year we usually ended our days in Wengen or Winteregg for the trains out of Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken ....this time our ski days will end in Grindelwald (Or Winteregg if at Schilthorn). I am grateful I did get some of the lay of the land last year since this time I have to keep an eye out for the others and make recommendations.

Sounds like a couple of us are keeping eyes on forecasts and your reports of how the slopes are holding up ....I've got weather bookmarks for METEOSCHWEIZ, snow-forecast.com and J2 forecasts which I'll be pouring over each day anticipating Sunday's arrival in Grindelwald. Thank much! Maryellen (Tiroler Ski Club, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
snow report
medskis wrote:

Sounds like a couple of us are keeping eyes on forecasts and your reports of how the slopes are holding up ....I've got weather bookmarks for METEOSCHWEIZ, snow-forecast.com and J2 forecasts which I'll be pouring over each day anticipating Sunday's arrival in Grindelwald. Thank much! Maryellen (Tiroler Ski Club, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

I would also use the following weather sites -

http://www.bergfex.ch/muerren-schilthorn/wetter/
http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/europe/switzerland/weather-muerren/details/N-3515820/
snow report
Light rain possibly snow showers higher up from now until Saturday, Tuesday next week looking good for cooler weather and snow long range forecast suggests heavier snow starting approx 17th
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Light rain possibly snow showers higher up from now until Saturday, Tuesday next week looking good for cooler weather and snow long range forecast suggests heavier snow starting approx 17th

Nice...

I get there on Friday afternoon. Will maybe get out saturday afternoon after I've sorted out some bits and pieces. Forecast is looking good.

It seems it's still skiable down to the town?
snow report
Plenty of snow on the nursery slopes, I'm a little concerned about Innerwengen, it could probably do with a top up, elsewhere plenty of base Many upper lifts shut today due to high winds
latest report
I'll be there on Saturday Very Happy Weather looks interesting! Mind you, we always get a bit of everything in March.
snow conditions
Looking at the trains from Zurich, I have 6 minutes to change platform in Bern and 8 minutes in Interlaken Ost. How practical is that with luggage? Not that it matters.. if I'm too slow I'll just have to wait Very Happy
snow report
feef, easy but just be organised with who's carrying what and where you are going.
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
feef, easy but just be organised with who's carrying what and where you are going.

It's me, just me, carrying everything Smile

I assume the B part of platform 2B at Interlaken refers to the half of the train that goes to Grindelwald. AIUI, the Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen train leaves as one and splits at Zweilütschinen? Or do I have to check I'm still on the correct half?
ski holidays
feef, On your train to Bern you can ask the ticket inspector to confirm the platform number you have to change onto for the Interlaken Ost train (sometimes the information is also displayed on an info screen at the end of the carriage where the doors are). The platform will usually be close in number to the one you arrive in Bern on. And the trains will go on time, so you can usually depend on having the amount of time stated on the timetable for changing paltforms.

As regards the train from Interlaken Ost your understanding is correct - the train splits at Zweilutschinen and the sections are clearly identified when you get on the train. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy