Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton situation (Winter Resumed)

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out to St Anton on Sunday... forecast appears to be some precipitation over the first few days. But will it fall as snow lower down ??

(temperatures still seem a little high during the day/afternoon ?)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does look as though it may fall as sleet or even rain down at resort level which will be fun if it freezes overnight ... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Lech village webcam (1400m) appeared to be showing rain and sleet this afternoon (Sun).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When i left yesterday evening the temepature had dropped quite some degrees & it was dumping quite nicely.

Last week a well know local St Anton ski guide was killed in An Avalanche (Stuben > Langen ).

The two swedes killed in a sperate incident were skiing Rendl,s North Face. Yesterday the fracture & slide clearly be seen.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It snowed yesterday. About 5cm at Mooserkreuz where I live.

It then stopped (boo).

But then started again this morning (hurrah!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The guy killed last week was from St Anton though lived in Bludenz.

He was skiing with three others, one of which was a friend of a friend of mine.

My friend was also caught in the slide, finishing with his torso out of the snow. He (only) suffered a broken femur and shattered knee.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 2-03-07 9:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
B00thy wrote:
The guy killed last week was ******. He was from St Anton though lived in Bludenz.

He was skiing with ***** from the Himmelhof, and two others, one of which was a friend of a friend of mine, ****.

**** was also caught in the slide, finishing with his torso out of the snow. He (only) suffered a broken femur and shattered knee.

I know who it was I just didnt want to put his name on here.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-02-07 8:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
May he RIP.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
B00thy wrote:
The guy killed last week was from St Anton though lived in Bludenz.

He was skiing with Sebastian from the Himmelhof, and two others, one of which was a friend of a friend of mine, Dirk.

Dirk was also caught in the slide, finishing with his torso out of the snow. He (only) suffered a broken femur and shattered knee.

I know who it was I just didnt want to put his name on here.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, I have removed his name ..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seems strange to revert the thread back to the snow in view of the obvious tragedy above especially when the individual is known to snowHead . I was tempted to start a fresh thread.

St anton website reports 50 cm fresh since yesterday and snow/ precipitation forecast every day until Saturday. 11 sleeps to go Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well with all this new snow and these warnings http://www.lawine.at/tirol/index.html

I expect a few more wooden boxes by the end of this coming weekend Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I must be missing something but why delete the guide's(RIP) name.

Seen a report for 60cm fresh in Pettneu.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.vol.at/news/vorarlberg/artikel/st-anton-skifahrer-starb-unter-lawine/cn/news-20070227-12524100

Yet another avalanche death on Rendl - a 32 year old finish male skier this time. I've never been to St Anton - is the Rendl area clearly marked as being high avalanche risk?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe I spoke to soon Sad

Its dangerous anywhere in the Mountains, remember this first.

Today the whole Arlberg Region is Level 3 Skullie Skullie

These guys were equipped & obviosuly take risks & one has paid for it. The sheer force of the slide was to much buried 2 metres under.

Rendl is know for its Lift Served Off Piste & does not get tracked out as quick. It is not controlled Off-Piste (only above the town to stop big slides coming down)

http://tirol.orf.at/stories/174881/

There was a huge group of Finns arrived in last Saturday.
latest report
DB, I deleted his name because stanton preferred his name was not posted. I respect that.

From what I could tell the death yesterday took place in almost the same place as the slide which killed the swedish guys.

Back to the snow. Today it rained. It was terrible. Hoping for a temperature drop and some more snow ....
snow conditions
B00thy wrote:
DB, I deleted his name because stanton preferred his name was not posted. I respect that.....

The question was more aimed at Stanton. There might even be people here who have skied with that particular guide and want to pay their respects.

PS the link above (in german) does say it happened at the same place.
snow conditions
It doesnt matter now as his name is still in this thread.

Lets move on...
latest report
Increasing Avalanche danger througout the day

http://www.lawine.at/tirol/index.html
snow conditions
Snowing hard at the moment. Avalanche rating 4
latest report
Weather sites are reporting 270cm snow depth for St Anton (on the upper slopes) - thats over 60cm more than yesterday Shocked
latest report
DB wrote:
Weather sites are reporting 270cm snow depth for St Anton (on the upper slopes) - thats over 60cm more than yesterday Shocked

The St anton site say 230cm at the top with 30cm of snow since measured yesterday, but great to hear still snowing hard. could do with the temperatures keeping low as the forecast suggests rising temperatures over the weekend and some more drizzle lower down Sad

8 sleeps to go Very Happy
snow conditions
Looks like Bergfex can't add up, they also say 30cm fresh but have increased the total amount of snow from 205cm to 270cm. rolling eyes

http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/schneebericht/
snow conditions
They add up even worse on this one!

http://www.bergfex.com/hochjoch/schneebericht/
ski holidays
Looks like the bergfex staff were apres skiing last night Wink
latest report
Sounds like St Anton is very dangerous at the moment (Level 4 avi warning)

Here's todays report from Graham at Piste to Powder in St Anton .....

Quote:
4/3/2007 - A definite improvement on yesterday. The sun shone after a clear night slightly froze the sodden snow layers. Avalanche grade was a high 4 which subsequently has closed most of the mountain. I skied with my group up on the Galzig but conditions were already warm by 9.30 and the risk being extremely high I cancelled due to safety after 1 hour on the mountain. The conditions will stabilize this week, so we're keeping our fingers crossed for good off piste this coming week.

http://www.pistetopowder.com/
snow conditions
However, there was superb piste skiing yesterday morning under sunny, blue skies. Today is a mixture of sun and clouds.
latest report
Yes yesterday was superb compared to Saturday. I have not gotten that wet in a long time.

They opened lower Matun which surprised me anyway, I had earlier chatted with a guy from Lawine Commisie and he assured me it was stable & OK so I was one of the first down Very Happy Very Happy First decent DEEP Powder in Matun this season Very Happy Very Happy . I looked back & there were about 2000 people coming down behind me. Typical St Anton tracked out in 10mins Smile Smile Backside was also good.

Avalanche risk was high in Non Controlled (4)areas so passed on Rendl etc.

It was so warm yesterday afternoon, relaxing having a couple of beers just didnt want to come back to the office Sad Oh well there allways next weekend Very Happy

NOTE.

For the first time the Mooserwirt is closing one week earlier this season 24 or 25th April. Most other places on the slopes close also . The KK & Taps close Easter Weekend but may even close before then. i,e end of March.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
B00thy wrote:

From what I could tell the death yesterday took place in almost the same place as the slide which killed the swedish guys.

Yes it was in almost the exact same place. He (32) was skiing with his Wife & young child , they were not in the slide but had to be treated for severe shock.
snow conditions
Like the look of the weather forecast with temperatures falling and a couple of snow days forecast this week. what's the outlook for next week? snowHead
snow conditions
dan100, More snow I believe (unless the temperatures mean it falls as rain)
ski holidays
B00thy wrote:
dan100, More snow I believe (unless the temperatures mean it falls as rain)

Thanks. I like the look of sunday a day's sunshine after snow on saturday for the first day of our trip. Just right to get our ski legs back Very Happy
ski holidays
dan100, tht makes 2 of us Wink
latest report
Staying in Lech but went to St Anton today - more of a social visit as very poor visibility and wet snow everywhere so a long and liquid lunch at the Hospitz Alm plus a visit to their world famous wine cellar. Forecast for tomorrow appalling but anything can happen in the mountains being an optimist!
ski holidays
skilegs wrote:
Staying in Lech but went to St Anton today - more of a social visit as very poor visibility and wet snow everywhere so a long and liquid lunch at the Hospitz Alm plus a visit to their world famous wine cellar. Forecast for tomorrow appalling but anything can happen in the mountains being an optimist!

Embarassed
snow report
Stanton,

There seems to have been alot of deaths this year in St Anton, maybe the tourist board need to make the information/advice on dangerous areas and dangerous skiing times more clear ... like on the ski maps?
snow conditions
Nah

Theres allways a few deaths a year its the nature of the sport. tourist office doesnt want to get involved with that kind of info, thats putting out bad messages Very Happy

There are plenty of warnings in resort a the lifts. People take risks. Snowpak makeup changes every second & is unpredictable regardless of how much science is available .

There are fatalities all over Austria not just St Anton but when you consider the numbers skiing,snowboarding its tiny .

Here are the last published stats 2004

http://www.alpinesicherheit.at/index.php?menuid=119
ski holidays
Stanton.

I going out to S A. a week on Saturday. I'll be skiing with my wife and don't wish to annoy her too much on the first day.

My plan therefore, depending on the weather, is to ski Rendl on the Sunday and then go over to lech/Zurs on day two before trying the big stuff on the Tuesday.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan to ease ourselves into the place ?
snow report
I personally am not a great fan of Rendl, except for off-piste with a guide. How about going up the new space-age Galzig gondola, few gentle runs and then down to the Hospitz Alm at St Christoph for lunch. Try and get them to show you the wine cellar, one of the best in Europe. I was there last week. You can always get the ski bus home. Make sure you do the White Circle at Zurs/Lech and if you want a challenge as the week progresses try ski weg 37 from the top of the Rufikopf, steep but satisfying. The new Frozen icebar at Oberlech is worth a visit.
snow conditions
Peter S

Its allways best to Ski Rendl on Sunday as everyone is new in town & doenst know about that side of the resort so basically you can ski empty slopes on Rendl allday.

Yes best to go to Lech & Zurs early as most people save that up for late in the week.

Re.Hospiz Alm Wine Keller . It is not a "given" that they wil show you around. It ofetn depends what mood there in & if your spending money in the establishement. It also helps if you buy a bottle of wine !

If your going to Lech & doing the http://www.derweissering.at/ At the end a good port of call In Oberlech is there other Hotel (Goldernerberg) very old with another fine wine keller Very Happy

http://www.hospiz.com/content/altergoldenerberg/weinkeller.asp
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy