Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

migletski
user

Hi we have booked go to les arcs (2000) on 10th march is this way to late or will we still get some decent runs - we stick mainly to piste don't have confidence (and maybe ability) for off piste (although thinking of trying aiguille rouge - heard it is a really great run). Just me and hubby so can pretty much please ourselves where we ski any advice appreciated.

I am due to Les Arc on the 11th March. I have gone skiing on the same week circa 4/5/6th march every year for about a decade and always had conditions ranging from good to brilliant to powder days. The only time it has been slightly less than perfect was in La Rosier 2 years ago where the off piste was crusty and icy and by the end of the week the lower pistes were just starting to get slushy. Still had more than enough skiing and pistes were wonderful.
I went in Feb last year so missed out on the awful March being referred to above, however last year was appalling throughout. I have been to Chatel every Jan-feb for the last 5 years and it is usually awesome, last year it was a summer holiday with green fields and T-shirts. This year is totally different to last year, nothing is certain but it would need to be one hell of a turn around to wash the snow away by March. The last two weeks has seen more snow then the whole of last season and people seem to be talking about some of the best conditions they can ever remember. It looks like there may be some more next week too. Don't forget the snow making in the Alps is very good too so even if it goes horribly wrong there will still be skiing to be had.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking at the long range forecast it looks good for the next few days into next week with loads of sunshine and cold temperatures. Fingers crossed its stays like that all next week. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been watching snow forecast now with interest (arrive this saturday!) for a few days and it seems to be varying from blue skies to 20 CM of snow next week so theres obviously a bit of uncertainty around. Either way conditions will be fab, I would just love a bit of fresh! I know its early but does anyone have any predictions and what are the locals predicting?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been watching snow forecast now with interest (arrive this saturday!) for a few days and it seems to be varying from blue skies to 20 CM of snow next week so theres obviously a bit of uncertainty around. Either way conditions will be fab, I would just love a bit of fresh! I know its early but does anyone have any predictions and what are the locals predicting?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We arrive on Sunday. Roll on a heady mix of fresh snow and bluebird skies.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you're all right, really. It would take a remarkable amount of warm weather and rain to strip away the snow by then, but you could be unlucky and turn up just after a warm spell has kicked in with the off piste turned rock hard. Pistes should be OK though.

Over the past 8 years early March has been consistently good to fantastic, with the exception of last year only IIRC.

I am out to Vallandry on 21st, looking forward to it all the more after my February trip last year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone know is there a shop to buy grocery's, drinks etc in Arc 2000?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surfski wrote:

Yes there is but personally we use the Spar in 1950 which is beside the free lift down.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was when I was last there in Jan 2010
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, Cheers for that. That will do but i was hoping for something nearer to 2000 also. Puzzled
http://www.arc1950.com/en/Food/35-SPAR-1950/View-details.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller wrote:
surfski wrote:

Yes there is but personally we use the Spar in 1950 which is beside the free lift down.

Of course - where else would you get the champers?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
surfski, There is a Sherpa store in 2000, if you click on the link and scroll down and open the map at the bottom, the sherpa store is just below the number 8 ion the map at the bottom of the apartment block. We use it for an odd thing but i think its a crap store. If you want some nicer food we find the Spar in 1950 better.

http://en.lesarcs.com/arc-2000

bertie bassett, If you can afford to buy Champers in 1950 then life must be good for you. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecast next week seems to be slightly milder and sunny.

As I'm loading car this morning and heading down, all I can say is Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
quote:

The Aiguille Rouge run is just a piste and very easy for a black more like a red. You should not have any problems with it going all the way down to Villaroger.

is it similar to a hard red like the clair blanc...could you give me a couple of comparisons?? thanks!!!
snow conditions
macduff, the start of the Aiguille Rouge run is narrow, and is often polished snow. It's more intimidating rather than steep, but the tricky bit is very short then it opens up to a very wide and enjoyable piste which I'd say is less steep than Clair Blanc (I've never understood why that run is red rather than black). Once you have skied this pitch the run gets more gentle as it follows the ridge towards Villaroger, then you have the choice of blue or red pistes (with one small black pitch, but it's no steeper than the red) as you ski towards the village.

The piste map at the top of the Aiguille Rouge shows a black piste (Aiguille Rouge) and a red piste (Arandelieres). This is a bit confusing as they are mostly the same piste for a few hundred metres before the red peels off to the left (and becomes a road).

If you are worried that it might be too steep for you I'd recommend you go up to the top as the views are wonderful. You can then have a look at the piste and if you decide it's not for you you can simply take the cablecar back down. Plenty of people go up just for the view.
snow conditions
Thanks Rob, I have managed it from the top of the cable car, but always followed the red/blue down to 2000, then took lanchettes up to continue into Villaroger - but was considering trying the black part of aguille rouge all the way..thats the bit of the unknown and the scary bit for me!!!
ski holidays
macduff, other than the very top section which tricky because it's narrow, it's a lovely run down. If you go up in the cablecar you can see the top section of the run (the worst bit) so you can decide then whether you want to ski it or not.
latest report
Thats sorted then - black all the way!!! Cheers!!! Laughing
snow report
Boris, Of to Gatwick soon, such a shame about the weather, we will have to endure burning heat of the January sun and the total lack of wind.

Heigh ho. chin up,

Normally I would report back on conditions but in all honesty this time what is the point? Laughing
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
SnowSquirrell, orangekss, Guys i think Metcheck has not been working correctly this season. Quite often when I look at the Les Arcs forecast it is showing a run from May, which is what I think orangekss saw.

Clicking on the link now it is correct and showing snow potential from Monday.

This keeps happening. I nearly cried earlier......! Laughing
ski holidays
SnowSquirrell, Yes its terrifying isn't it. I think however red 27 has it right for next week. Perfect conditions. Sunshine,. low winds, tons of snow, the resort open low to high. It would be amazing to be out there next week. Oh wait I am Toofy Grin
latest report
Me too. I'm out on Sunday.

To say I'm excited is an understatement. New snow, new board (sorry...), new wax and bluebird days. If Carlsberg did snow holidays....
snow conditions
Will you lot all fk oof with your "oh i'm out there tomorrow".
I've still got 4 weeks to wait

Bstards
Laughing
ski holidays
Out this Saturday and it looks perfect! Bring it on! Toofy Grin
snow report
Aaaaahhhhh!!!!!
ski holidays
ricfrench, Laughing

Your time will come. It may well dump it down in a months time and we've all got a year to wait! (I haven't, I'm going Feb too, but I'm trying to soften the blow) Laughing snowHead
latest report
"the start of the Aiguille Rouge run is narrow, and is often polished snow" rotflmfao

The start of Aiguille Rouge was designed by a Frenchman who hated skiers, possibly a team of them each vying to outdo their team mates. It has split/separated black/red start that joins together again and funnels everyone onto a single, narrow track with a 180 degree turn in the middle THEN it opens out into a nice, wide field where people, terrified by the insane local speed merchants who think it's laugh to scythe past slower skiers on the narrow track, congregate to recover thus causing further obstacles - as if the aforementioned was not enough. Not only that but invariably the narrower, steeper second half of the track past the bend gets shaved off and carved into moguls with a lovely scattering of stones thrown up by desperate braking due to the track not being wide enough to parallel brake. The less gifted skiers then either fall over or resort to a snow plow or adopt a ropy version of the speed merchant tactics described above, usually plowing out of control into the aforementioned group of terrified, similarly gifted skiers who just about made it down before them. There is an off-piste cut through to avoid all this but you need to be good to use it and know it’s there. I’ve lost count of the number of “I-can-handle-the-black-runs-honest’ skiers that I had to pick up and carry down that second bit.

Lead on, Macduff!

And I echo what ricfrench said given that I am still at my desk (six days and counting)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you have a car it's weel worth going down to the Super U in Bourg St M and shopping their, the prices are way better and the choice also. Even without one I usually slope off once per holiday after sking and do an all-I-can-carry shop and take a little vist to the Intersport next door at the same time
snow report
Well I managed the AR all the way to Villaroger so I'm a happy bunny... don't think I'd like it if the snow wasn't as good as it is.. and we've still got another week to go!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
macduff, good stuff
RattytheSnowRat, agree if you have a car, but without, it really isn't worth losing snow time just to go shopping (ugghh) to save a few euros

The Spar in 1950 is really, really not far rfom 2000. Jeez, how far is your local Tesco?! It is also considerably better quality and range than 2000
ski holidays
Sorry ricfrench, No promises not to track the place out Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'm not arguing about the 1950 Spar - one of the reasons it's there is because I lobbied for it with the developers! Originally they were not going to have one due to pressure from the restaurant owners. I'm just saying that the Super U is an option. I would not take time off from sking to go there but if it's a sh*t day then I like to go and have wander around BStM, do shop then scoot back, s'all. God bless the Spar otherwise, much better than the Sherpa. Book a rotiserrie chicken before you go tho'.
ski holidays
... and you, sideways bloke, track it out and i'll come looking for you. How will I recognise u, BTW? Other than the fact that u don't seem to able to ski straight?
snow report
Lundi 16
-6°C / 2°C
Mardi 17
-7°C / 2°C
Mercredi 18
-7°C / 2°C
Jeudi 19
-6°C / 3°C
Vendredi 20
-4°C / 3°C
Samedi 21
-5°C / 1°C

snow Wed/Thur/Fri next week - allegedly. Track away, Sideways!!
latest report
RattytheSnowRat, At what altitude are those temperatures for?
snow report
Am I right in thinking there is a lift of some description between 1950 and 2000? Anybody know what time it's open until?
snow report
Never skied straight in my life and proud of it.
snow report
Jenniper, yes free pedestrian lift, known as the "Cabriolet" open until 11pm (with a break at IIRC 9:30 for half an hour). Runs every 6 or 7 minutes.

RattytheSnowRat, Laughing wasn't getting at you re: the Spar - realised I'd missed surfski's name from the post afterwards... sorry!

Who were you lobbying? Do I know you? Do you know me?! Shall we PM?
latest report
Arctic Roll, Great, thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy