Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Will be interesting to see if the ESF moving in sparks some price matching..

Just spotted a couple of 5% extra discount at skiset.co.uk for anyone needing to hire skis/boots:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/skiset.com

Codes seem to work too, but I haven't gone through to final payment stages Wink

Looks like the Alps are gonna get a pretty good dump over the next few days!! Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A white out above the trees, very windy in places, cold, BUT it kept snowing all day!! Twisted Evil

Despite the poor vis today, I ended up with quite a big group again this morning to hunt out the best places to ski. The Peisey forest was good as always and we spent the morning over that side before heading back to Arc 1950 for lunch with near zero vis at the top of the Transarc lift. Toofy Grin

In the afternoon another group came along and we headed to Arc 1600 and the new Mont Blanc lift. The Cachette red was interesting with fresh snow building on a very icy frozen cruddy base. But the new top of the Mont Blanc blue and the powder fields to the sides back down through the forest to Arc 1600 were very good. Much as it hurts me to say it, they have done a good job with the new pistes and it does not really interfere with the Malgovert red piste nature. The Deux Tetes black piste nature is still there, but needs more snow to make the start safe from rocks. But once over this problem (they seem to have dumped a lot of crud there) the rest of the run seems to be ok still. snowHead

Going back up and over into the Arc 2000 bowl was not fun in the late afternoon, cold and windy. But the snow has kept falling, although only lightly now most of the evening and more is promised for tomorrow and later in the week. If this keeps up, the holiday period should be really fun for everyone. snowHead

If you are driving out shortly, you will need chains for the car. The roads tonight are quite bad. More news tomorrow.

Remember, if you want to read the daily morning update direct from the pisteurs, plus details of weather and what's on in resort. I will be posting it around 8.30am each morning as long as I get up in time (otherwise could be a bit later). Go to my 'Les Arcs Winter' page on facebook. You do not need to be a member of facebook to view this page, just click the link below.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Since I am online answering questions on my mail, before heading out. Here is a copy of the daily conditions post I just made on the 'Les Arcs Winter' page for anyone that is interested. For those that wonder where I get this info every morning. It comes direct from the pisteurs on the mountain getting ready to open the slopes. The French meteo office in Bourg st Maurice and the Les Arcs tourist office all in French which I then try and translate plus what I see looking out my window before leaving to ski myself. Enjoy. Very Happy

snowHead Snow, Weather, Lifts and other info of the day for Les Arcs. snowHead

Altitude: 1620 / 1800 m 2040 m 2400 m 3000 m
Snow depth: 32cm 88 cm 115cm 135cm
Temp: -2.3 -3 -3.6 - 6
Risque d’avalanche (1 à 5) : 3 risque marqué
Last snowfall : 15 cm on 12/12/2011

WEATHER & FORECASTS OF THE DAY: This morning will remain cloudy with the sun trying to break through. In the afternoon the clouds will thicken and lower precipitation will move in from the lower valleys and become stronger towards the end of the day. The snow limit will be from 1800 to 2000 m. The wind will grow stronger again throughout the day.

Looking out my window it is quite gloomy with an overcast sky and flat light, but so far know sign of any fresh snow since yesterday evening and the wind at the moment is very light. The best skiing will be this morning I think. The predictions for the next few days are of more snow to come down to about 1400m.

TREND FOR THE NEXT DAY:
The Bad weather is expected to continue. Overcast with few mountain tops visible. It should snow in the mountains, moderate from 10 to 15 cm. Rain may fall lower in the valley.

THE LIFTS THAT ARE OPEN

SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : TSD VALLANDRY ,TSD PEISEY,TS 2300,
TB LONZAGNE, TSD DERBY, TK FLOCON,
SECTEUR 1600 : FUNICULAIRE, TSD CACHETTE, TSD ARPETTE DECALE,
TSD MONT BLANC,
SECTEUR 1800 : TSD VAGERE, TC TRANSARC 2 DECALE,
SECTEUR 2000 : TSD MARMOTTES, TSD ARCABULLE, TSD OURS DECALE,TS PRE ST ESPRIT, TS GRAND COL,TS ST JACQUES, TC VARET, TB CABRIOLET, C ETERLOU,
SECTEUR VILLAROGER : FERME

THE BEST PISTE:

SECTEUR 1600 : GOLLET
SECTEUR 1800 : GRAND RENARD
SECTEUR 2000 : ARANDELIERES
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : BARMONT

TIPS OF THE DAY:

Very good skiing conditions: snow (15 cm fell yesterday), light, powdery and cold. However, you might prefer skiing in the woods as the light will be quite flat in the open areas. The Forest of Peisey-Vallandry, Mont Blanc ARC 1600 will be sheltered from the wind as it grows stronger throughout the day and visibility is much better.

The link: Arpette, Bois de l'ours and Transarc 2 will have a delayed opening of about about 30 minutes.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK

Saturday 10 - Opening of Les Arcs / Peisey Vallandry - opening the European Film Festival
Sunday 11 - Film Festival
Monday 12 - 14 h: European Cinema Ski Cup Slalom on Marmots
Tuesday 13 - 8: 30 Film Festival: Visit Aiguille Rouge for VIP's
Wednesday 14 - Film Festival Thursday 15 - 14 h: European Cinema Cup Slalom Ski Marmot on
Friday 16 - Film Festival
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does Les Arcs warm up in Feb or do conditions get worse? In Italy last year, we were skiing in Tshirts and jacket as sun made skiing really warm. (is LA a sunny resort?) Need to know so I know how many thermals to pack!
thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£ is strong and snow is falling. Most unseasonal. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, do not adjust your set...

No, seriously, please don't.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jon Ford wrote:
Does Les Arcs warm up in Feb or do conditions get worse? In Italy last year, we were skiing in Tshirts and jacket as sun made skiing really warm. (is LA a sunny resort?) Need to know so I know how many thermals to pack!
thanks

Generally, as a rule, IIRC LA in February is a little warmer than January but not as warm as March. I've also noticed that April is usually a little warmer than March and December really is anyone's guess.

If I needed thermals I'd probably stay in the bar.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see the Les Arcs website is reporting 5/20cm snowfall today at 1600/2000m giving depths of 48/91cm respectively.

A fair bit of rain below 1800m too which perhaps will help consolidate what's there into the fabled 'base' onto which the snow forecast for the next 3 days can settle nicely. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Be here on Monday folks!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^ Not 'til Wednesday Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tuesday for me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll be getting in on Sunday morning (via train)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Getting in on Saturday Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Daleskier, red 27, Andybag, spursfan There's going to be so much snow that the roads and rail will be closed from Friday night until about 5Pm Wednesday Evening, so it ain't gonna do you any good getting there before me. I wish.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
allanm will hire a snow plough if needed
snow report
allannm I hadn't realised that France had adopted the UK's approach to inclement weather and travel 'Aagh snow on the tracks, stop all trains!!!'
ski holidays
Look forward to meeting up with many of you when you all arrive if like allanm, says, the roads and rail are open after all the snow that is forecast arrives. Twisted Evil It has only just stopped snowing now. Toofy Grin

Here is a report of the last few days, enjoy!!

What a last few days. Yesterday the morning started off quite clear and calm. We were able to get up to the Grand Col and play in the fresh powder until lunch time again.

After lunch the predicted storm started to arrive, by 2pm most lifts were closing and only the Bois de l'ours stayed open which gave us access to the black piste nature back down to the bottom of the lift.

For the rest of the... afternoon we made various routes down this sheltered face in poor vis, but good snow. Finishing with an untracked run down the closed red in knee deep powder blown into the gully by the ever increasing wind. Finally we stopped at around 4pm when the vis was almost down to zero. What a way to spend my birthday!!

After a great meal and a lively night, went to bed with the storm still going strong outside. They had forecast for the weather to improve for a while this morning, but I think someone forgot to tell the weather gods. I awoke to the storm blowing strongly in the Arc 2000 bowl and although they had hoped to open more lifts, by the time we hit the slopes at 10pm only the Marmotte, Pre St Esprit and the beginner lift were still open. Just enough not to give lift pass refunds!!!

Even round the other side there were few lifts open. The new Mont Blanc could not open as it now goes to high and was effected by the wind so we have lost the whole Mont Blanc forest area on windy bad weather days. NOT VERY GOOD planning!! unless you know the secret traverse!!

We went out and made a few runs, but with the wind still gaining speed. We called it quits by 11.30 or so and went in for lunch.

This afternoon has been a complete white out. The group choose to hit the sauna etc and now we are off to see as movie, then dinner and who knows?? I must say on a day like today the facilities of Arc 1950 are great.

If this weather keeps up the predicted 50cm plus they said was coming is going to have arrived by tomorrow, BUT it is very windy and what damage that is doing to the pistes and off piste we will only know once we can get back out there tomorrow I hope.

I will post again direct from the pistes of Les Arcs tomorrow and even try that twittter thing again. Please do post your comments about the twitter posts over on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. I am interested to know if it is worth doing them. You can also be a follower of my twitter posts direct by signing up direct on twitter I think.

Off to a movie now, they have some very good ones this year at the film festival.

I am back from the movie, very good. Called the 'Death of a Superhero'. A 2011 British/Irish release and worth keeping an eye out for. Not at all what you would have expected from the title. Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm an avid Twitter user, how can I find you on there? Twitter is a great way of updating people quickly - as long as you can afford the data charges!
latest report
I think the easiest way to find me on twitter is to go to my twitter post on the Les Arcs Winter page and click on the bottom of the twitter post which will take you direct to my tweet page. That is how I go to the page. Unless anyone knows an easier way. All very new to me.
snow conditions
Just post what your Twitter name is! That's what I meant by 'how can I find you?' Little Angel
latest report
My twitter name is snowcrazychris. Not very original but everyone will know it is me which was the idea.
ski holidays
Use this

https://twitter.com/snowcrazychris

or

@snowcrazychris
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, thanks for that. I am going to save that link incase others ask for it.
snow report
snowcrazy, No worries, for reporting live twitter is probably better then Facebook, but yes your twitter feed is coming through on Facebook. Great stuff and thanks for taking the time to do this. Cheers
snow report
Following, thanks guys! I look forward to the updates.

There ought to be a Twitter thread on Snowheads so people can follow each other... unless there's one already?
latest report
Things really are looking good for next week

Taking current depths from here
and 9 day forecast from snowforecats

At 1600 current depth is 58, forecast is 76 = 134cm total.
At 2000 current depth is 109, forecast is 101 = 210
At 3000 current depth is 165, forecast is 94 = 259

Lets see how good forecasting is... if it's only half as good as it says, looks like it's still going to be a damn good Christmas!!
snow report
Piccadilly, could have a hashtag so people could see les arcs tweets, maybe #lesarcs #snowheads or #sh_lesarcs?

Edit:
#snowheads: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77348&highlight=twitter
twitter.com/lesarcs: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53186&highlight=twitter
ski holidays
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, yep its looking good, the other interesting thing will be is that it looks like the temp is going to drop really quickly after the last snow Sunday night this weekend, it could make for some super light powder, could be sluff paradise Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
quick question, whilst I would consider myself a reasonable piste skier I have never really done much off piste. It seems to me that the conditions may be very good for giving it a go so can anyone recommend a good instructor in the Peisey area.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
spursfan, ^^^^ Rob Hutchison 033622744983.
latest report
looks like another monster white out today... Shocked
ski holidays
It has been snowing without any let up since I tweeted at linch time. It is still snowing now outside and they say it will keep going all night and tomorrow. They may close the road up to Arc 1950/2000 tonight, that will prove interesting tomorrow.

I have been rather busy or it has been to cold to mess about with taking pics, but I will try and get some tomorrow.

Today we did manage a ski again in the morning for a few hours in near white out conditions, but the powder was good and even going down to Pre St Esprit was fun. Fresh tracks the whole way. As you would guess we had the place mostly to ourselves, not many people out skiing over on the Arc 2000 side.

As those that followed my tweets today saw, we stopped by lunch time and that was it for the day. The whole of Arc 2000 side was shut down by 1.30pm. Even the Cabriolet closed early afternoon. ( https://twitter.com/snowcrazychris )

Tomorrow promises to be more of the same. I will post the daily update in the morning as soon as I get the details.
snow report
snowcrazy, Please please.... You're not going to remind us, on every one of your posts, to 'check' your 'tweets' , same way as you're advocating we all look at your facebook page, on every post you make.
snow report
allanm, I only just started the tweets thing so why not, some people say they like it and they need the link. Maybe you could be clever and PM me how to add it into that signature thing I have at the bottom now for my facebook page. Then I do not have to post the link. That would be a great help. Thanks.
snow report
Below is a copy of my morning post for today. If anyone is driving out over the weekend, unless the current conditions change, YOU WILL NEED CHAINS (or winter tyres maybe) to get up to the stations. A friend had 4x4 without winter tyres or chains and said he found it very hard to drive up yesterday and the roads are worse now. I am still waiting to hear if they will keep the road open all day to get down from Arc 2000 and Arc 1950 into the valley. I hope they do!!! Evil or Very Mad

snowHead SNOW, WEATHER, LIFTS and OTHER INFO for TODAY in LES LES ARCS snowHead

16.12.2011 (JUST UPDATED AGAIN)

WHAT IT LOOK's LIKE OUTSIDE:
The Mountain is in lock down on the Arc 2000 bowl side. Looking out the window nothing is moving and it is still snowing. No skiing today.

Statistics:
Altitude: 1620/1800m, 2040m, 2400m, 3000m,
Snow depth: 108cm, 168cm, 240cm, 300cm,
Temp: -1, -3, -4, - 5,
Risque d’avalanche (1 à 5) : 4/5 risque marqué
Last snowfall : 60 cm Le 16/12/2011

WEATHER & FORECASTS OF THE DAY:
Exceptionally bad! A great deal of snow is expected today. High winds are also expected until around mid-afternoon. The sky is overcast and the moutains are clouded. It is also becoming colder. Snow rain limit of between 700 - 1000 metres. The wind (NW) is very strong on the peaks.

TREND FOR THE NEXT DAY:
The Bad weather is expected to continue. Overcast with percipitaion at lower levels falling as rain and snow at higher levels. Expected snow fall of around 50cm to 80cm at around 2000m ove the next few days with strong winds from the West - North West.

THE LIFTS THAT ARE OPEN TODAY:

SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : TSD VALLANDRY ,TSD PEISEY,TS 2300,
TB LONZAGNE, , TK FLOCON,TK CABRI
SECTEUR 1600 : FUNICULAIRE,
TS COMBETTES
SECTEUR 1800 : TC TRANSARC 1 ,TS CHANTEL
SECTEUR 2000 : FERME
SECTEUR VILLAROGER : FERME

THE BEST PISTE TODAY:

SECTEUR 1600 : GRANGE
SECTEUR 1800 : GRANDS MELEZES
SECTEUR 2000 : SECTEUR FERMEE
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : GRIVE

TIPS OF THE DAY:

Sector in 2000 / Villaroger is closed (AVALANCHE HAZARD: 5 of this sector)
Stay on open pistes only to remain safe at all times.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK

Nothing happeningSee more
snow report
snowcrazy, Lowest live cam in the area is Champagny @ 1250 and that looks bad, so up high Wow! Still better than grass of 2 weeks ago.

http://www.webcam-hd.com/champagny.php

Keep posting and keep pushing your facebook and twitter feed, ignore the miserable ones. Cool The twitter feeds are great for the live stuff and mush easier than wading through this place on a mobile device.
latest report
Some views from 1950 yesterday:

News from people there: the Arc2000 residents have been asked to stay indoors due to avalanche risk. Road to 1950/2000 is current closed. No lifts open in 2000 valley.

Safe travel to all trying to get there over the next few days..
snow report
Arctic Roll, Wow. Thanks and there is still another 24 hours of snow forecast? Shocked Shocked
latest report
Just got off the phone with the village:

"Less wind, more snow than yesterday"...

BSM Road is open at the moment, but no-one is predicting for how long.

Lawks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy