Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
nabus, I don't think you are quite that far up the road - i think Chalet Hannah is part of the building directly under 16 (but i could be wrong Smile )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nabus, i've sent you a PM
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
nabus, I don't think you are quite that far up the road - i think Chalet Hannah is part of the building directly under 16 (but i could be wrong Smile )

Even better Smile

Thanks gazzaredcruiser, have replied
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chalet Altesse is the left hand one of the pair below 19 on the plan so @nabus, we are almost neighbours.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Montalbert gondola was on a go-slow at lunchtime so that is probably why the draglift was in use. We were told at the top of the Adrets lift that it was out of action so had to ski down to La Roche. People were still getting out of it but it was travelling even slower than the old chairlift. Hopefully it has been sorted so we can go down to Montalbert through the trees tomorrow.

Lovely piste conditions today, powder snow everywhere but still a very high avalanche risk and the higher lifts were closed probably due to high winds. Still snowing here in Champagny village, it has been snowing for most of the day and is forecast to continue overnight so tomorrow should be another good day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hectic day. Skied from Belle Plagne to Montalbert, lovely run all the way down but got to the bottom to find the gondola not working, the only way to get back to La Plagne! About an hour went by and then we got word that buses were being scheduled to take people back to La Roche. Everyone queued down set of stairs and people were pushing into the queue down the sides of the stairs.

Not a good experience, wonder why there were no signs at the top saying that the gondola was closed?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had a very enjoyable couple of days skiing yesterday and today, despite the often poor visibility.

All starting from Belle Plagne and heading over towards La Plange/central etc. Yesterday was mostly cruising blue pistes, with the odd little red we found. But decent snow, and just nice to be out in a new area, and hanging out with friends. Had a few guys with me who kept saying how much they loved off-piste etc, couldn't wait to do it. So when the vis lifted and I scouted some easy sidepiste options in the afternoon, they skied (well, boarded) one, then skipped the rest and stuck to the piste instead - I did a few more runs by myself and laughed at them over dinner Razz Twisted Evil

Today - made it a little further, it seemed there was slighltly more open, and the visibility was generally pretty good (and definitely better than yesterday). Had a great time buzzing around on some really lovely snow on piste, a couple of very nice little side-piste play areas, and a really fun time doing a couple of loops on the [closed] "Crête-Côte" black over in 1800. We quit early afternoon today - we were originally going to head right down to Montalbert, very glad now we didn't in the end Shocked

4 days left to explore - unfortunately I'm skiing with a group of boarders who faff far too much for my liking - they may have to be dumped at some point so I can get some serious mileage and exploring in Twisted Evil Very much enjoying La Plagne so far!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fixx, If they get Aprette sector safe then get yourselves up that lift first thing and blast down to Montchavin through the trees - something for everyone down there and fantastic tree lined pistes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chopkins13, They had to open it as the brand new €11 million Gondola has had a total electrical failure, hopefully they will get it fixed by the morning...
However every cloud etc , we came up Adrets at 3.00pm and after convincing the Pisteurs we lived in Montalbert skied all the way back down on pistes with a few inches of powder and then through Bois Croz in knee deep powder and piles of powdery snow and didn't see another soul Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi chaps & chapesses - voice from over the valley here.

Looking at the difference between a decouverte and a full paradiski pass. Any ideas on how much a day extension is, if I get a decouvertre, but want to come over to your side twice? I can' t find it on the pdfs on the website (yes, I know... he's an Arcs boy, must be slow) so any advice / knowledge welcome.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arctic Roll, it is interesting how difficult it is to find the fare for the Vanoise Express.
This site says €13
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonpim, wouldn't @Arctic Roll, need more than just a Vanoise Express ticket though if they wanted to actually ski on the La Plagne side for a second day on his Les Arcs Decouverte pass?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Arctic Roll, No, simply because once you leave the icy wastelands and discover the lush powder lined pistes hidden around La Pagne you won't want to go back ⛷⛷⛷

But if you want to be spoilt and are here Saturday you could get a LaPlagne www.samedijeskie.com
Or one day Paradiski is 57.00e
Best ask at a ticket office this time of year they may do a deal?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good point chopkins13, obviously not had enough coffee rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonpim, young niece on first ski holiday without us Sad has booked into Chalet Almach, just wondering where it is in relation to ski hire shops?
ski holidays
Kiters, it is very hard to find any information about exactly where this chalet is.
Its not on any of the detailed resort maps i can find.
The best info i could find:
1. the map on Alpine Answers
2. which agrees with the comments on Trip Advisor
ski holidays
@Jonpim, thank you it's a start and now to give her a little lecture on excessive drinking and ski school the next morning, in one ear and out the other I suspect Laughing
snow conditions
I expect she will manage both without your help!

snowHead
ski holidays
KJT123 wrote:
Hectic day. Skied from Belle Plagne to Montalbert, lovely run all the way down but got to the bottom to find the gondola not working, the only way to get back to La Plagne! About an hour went by and then we got word that buses were being scheduled to take people back to La Roche. Everyone queued down set of stairs and people were pushing into the queue down the sides of the stairs.

Not a good experience, wonder why there were no signs at the top saying that the gondola was closed?

Only need one word to answer this........ France Very Happy
latest report
Or ukredsox, the gondola broke down after KJT123 started down.

Also, you have to go past the Gondola to start the descent - its right by the top of the Adrets chair - so any problem would be easy to see.

Anyway, seems to be working today.
snow conditions
duplicate
post rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 13-01-16 15:37; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Jonpim, Yep both Grangette AND the Eleven Million Euro Gondola are working today. I suspect there was a major earth leak on it's main electric supply cable. All the cables had a considerable weight of snow on them yesterday, most are protected from the wind by the forest but in one or two places the wind blows across...
The slow operation was possibly it's back up diesel generator running to clear passengers and then the lift was shut down. (All supposition as no official news on why...)
Some pictures of Grangette and powdery deserted Montalbert pistes to follow snowHead
snow report
Glad to see you're getting better conditions down in Montalbert now.

Once a decent base is formed, will you be OK for the season or would a warm snap / rain ruin things again quickly.

I would like to make it down there this year
snow report
@chopkins13, Appears that Grangette is open to the public....
ski holidays

Just going over the bridge - there are other skiers here...somewhere snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 13-01-16 16:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
All we need is the Fornelet drag lift put back

Dismount off Grangette
latest report
and heres the New 11 Million Euro Montalbert Gondola

Blends in well! snowHead
latest report
@ukredsox, Thats enough now for the rest of season if it stays cold, when we come back in March it should be the same as now or it maybe the same as New Year, it just depends on the weather, some years we could ski in May. So cold today they could make snow... even though theres another 20cm forecast for tonight

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for not taking the Pi$$ too much.

OK - so @boredsurfin: Saturday's we're using Samedijeski's on the Arcs side (includes the Funi to get to/from 1950 from/to the train)

@Jonpim As per @chopkins13, a Vanoise crossing on its own won't cut it.

I thought there was an upgrade route which took into account I'd got an Arcs ticket, rather than having to buy a complete day pass for the motorways of LP Laughing - seems daft to buy a whole day ticket on top of an existing one.

But thanks anyway for trying.

I shall ask on the LA thread...( and probably get similar " why on earth would you want to go there?" sarcasm - usually it has to be said from me - "if you want to spend 2+ days in LP on a 6 day trip to LA, you've probably bought your accommodation in the wrong resort").
latest report
@chopkins13, thanks, top tip for today Smile I saw Arpette was scheduled to open, so we queued for it - had a rapid blast straight back along the Arpette piste to warm up the legs, then up the same lift again to go and explore right down to Montchavin. Very enjoyable, and some great snow. Returned to Belle Plagne for lunch, then headed back over to Plagne Centre for some easy skiing - ended up lapping around Becoin lift a few times as it was the first time we'd seen it running, then a fun couple of loops under the Colorado chair too offpiste to end the day. (I got a few cheers from the chairlift too for hitting a series of little lips and rolls just right - so much fun!).

Another very enjoyable day - especially when the sun came out. I'm still trying to get my head around the sheer scale of the area though - it's just vast! So much to explore, it can't possibly be done in 6 days. It would help if the avi risk came down too, but I'm enjoying it all anyway Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@fixx, glad you enjoyed your exploring today!

If you've not already been over the back of Grand Rochette and Verdons into the Champagny sector make time to do so - some great runs for all and it's especially enjoyable on a sunny day as South facing.

Will be there on Sunday myself, can't wait!
ski holidays
fixx, But if you ask on snowHeads its an ugly carbuncle with only motorway blues and not worth visiting.
Lets keep it that way wink wink snowHead
latest report
@Arctic Roll, for what it is worth, I think that spending two or more days traversing home area and the vanoise to the other half, whichever way round, is one of the key reasons for being in Paradiski! I plan to retest that theory in just overt a week's time. snowHead snowHead

As an aside for anyone reading, I am looking for a ski-buddy for my first day, Sat 23rd, as I arrive in the morning by overnight train while the rest of my party are on the planes. Will in fact be starting from Arc 1600 but I have been known to travel far and wide....

Edited the date above, apologies for being stupid, the 22nd was in my mind because that is the day I leave home, at least that's my excuse!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 13-01-16 23:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Sat 22nd

You just scared me into checking I'd booked my airport parking for the correct dates. Sat is the 23rd.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 13-01-16 23:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
me too!
ski holidays
So it's 9:30am on the Montalbert webcam, clearly chucking it down with snow (as is forecast for most of today) and they're still running the snow cannons!! I like their attitude, you really can't have enough snow down there Very Happy
snow report
@chopkins13, The whole system is automatic so all of LP will have its makers on I guess.
ski holidays
chopkins13 wrote:
So it's 9:30am on the Montalbert webcam, clearly chucking it down with snow (as is forecast for most of today) and they're still running the snow cannons!! I like their attitude, you really can't have enough snow down there Very Happy

Same on the PB video webcam. That's the one I use to judge the falling snow because you can see it moving.

Keep it coming, Just over a fortnight until I'm out there
snow report
@boredsurfin, wow really? I'd have thought they just directed it to those areas that needed it most? Surely there's not enough water pressure in the system to run every snow cannon in La Plagne at the same time? None of the other cannons were running on the other webcams either?

I'd have thought it was just the lower villages that would be trying to 'make hay while the sun shines' or in this case, 'make snow while the temperature is low enough' in order to build as big a base as possible for the rest of the season?

EDIT: when I say other webcams, I mean bergerie, as that and Montalbert tend to be the two I check most! So in my scientific poll of two webcams, only 50% were operating
Puzzled
snow conditions
Bergerie is my 'go to' static cam because I can see both areas that we stay in
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy