Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
@ukredsox, Your description is not too dissimilar to my ability level etc.

I have done les sources a few times now and it's a great run - in the right conditions. If the snow is soft or fresh it's a piece of cake, there is just the one steeper section that you identified and this is really very wide. A good option is to suss it out first from Blanchettes Chair - if you can see powder trails being left by the skiers then it's probably ok - it's nickname of "The Icy Wall of Death" only really applies in certain conditions!!

I've not done Carina yet but will be doing so in a couple of weeks.

You're right about Inversions - great run but a piste to nowhere for those that don't like blacks yet, the only way back up is a 22min chairlift.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ukredsox, Sources is a blue with two red bits! IF good conditions its a blue Toofy Grin
In good conditions the black off the bottom of Inversens (Crozats) is a blue red with one black section, which is also OK if it's quiet and freshest snow. BUT it has a long run out following a stream at the bottom.
Best first black imho is Murs over on the Montchavin section after the first pitch at the top its lovely and quite often it has been pisted.

The Reds in the trees in Montalbert, Bos Croz and Rock Lissy are very nice when they are open. The main red piste down (Fornelet) which gets a bit like a motorway at times can be avoided by the blue tracks that wind through the forest down to the village, but don't tell everyone Toofy Grin

Half way down after crossing a road you can be rewarded with a decent beer or Vin Chaud at http://forperet.com/?lang=en

@chopkins13, personally I don't like Carina at all! Its basically a steep dog leg with people in the way! I can never understand the point of queuing up to get get the Funi Plagne up there and then belting back down Carina! I'd much rather turn left off the lift and the Pettite Rochete and then the right turn onto Geisha through to Champagny and have a drink at Borselier whilst spotting Courchevel La Tania and Meribel in the distance
snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 7-01-16 15:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sources has been widened in recent years, especially at the steep bit between rocks. It is a delightful run. There is plenty of run-out at the bottom of the steep bit, so if it all goes pear-shaped you can just let go and schuss. There is little to choose between reds and blues in La Plagne, in my experience. There are blues with some steep bits (Mont St Saveur can be tricky in poor viz) and reds - like Sources - which are mostly cruisy. That is one of the charms of the place. You can go most places with confidence once you have got your edges in some sort of control and can turn on a slope.
Tunnel goes much the same way and if you can do that, and you can, I would say that Sources is no more than 10% more difficult in the perfect snow conditions we are going to have from now on. Which is the wink smiley?

snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chris Bish, wink wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another nice and not difficult red is the one that starts over by Borseliers and follows the lift line. Good hooning, that one. What's it called?

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris Bish, The one that starts at Borselier and goes down to Champagny? Thats Les Bois.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 7-01-16 15:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@chopkins13, personally I don't like Carina at all! Its basically a steep dog leg with people in the way! I can never understand the point of queuing up to get get the Funi Plagne up there and then belting back down Carina! I'd much rather turn left off the lift and the Pettite Rochete and then the right turn onto Geisha through to Champagny and have a drink at Borselier whilst spotting Courchevel La Tania and Meribel in the distance

A lovely run that is too, and have to agree about the Boselier - fantastic little morning coffee stop! This will be my 5th visit to La Plagne so I'm ticking off a few runs I've not done before, hence the intention to do Carina.

@Chris Bish, which run is Mont St Saveur again?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chopkins13, You should be able to tick off most if not all the Reds this year Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mont St Saveur is our home run back to our favoured chalet at Plagne Centre. It starts alongside the Stade piste at the top of the Becoin lift. Trundle down the track towards Aime until you get to the Nazi polar bear. Sharp right and down a steep bit which flattens a bit to a technical steep blue, which would be red in most places. Certainly trickier than the allegedly red Borseliers, which is a nice even slope for practising your carving technique - no steep bits at all as far as I can recall.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boredsurfin, That's the plan, if a red is open when I'm there in a couple of weeks, I'm going to get it ticked off, if for no other reason than to convince myself my skiing is still progressing and I haven't reached the learning 'plateau' yet! Keen to try Mont De La Guerre over in Champagny - always seems to be closed!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now, that is a run. On the blackish side of red in places, but a delight. Had a superb time down there with @Jonpim, and Jean last year. Certainly in my top ten ski experiences.

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chris Bish, when it is open, is it normally pisted?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Probably. Due to the nature of the run, which is very varied, it goes from a narrowish bit on the edge of a slope to open bits, tracks, bumps through trees - all sorts. That is its charm. It is very exposed in places, which is probably why it is hard to keep open.

It is great to be talking skiing on here with the snow-ploughs out and busy down at Montalbert.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
how much has fallen today?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gazzaredcruiser, Down here at Montalbert at 1370 meters I reckon at least two foot overnight and another foot during the day, right now the icy drizzle has stopped and the high winds and low cloud are moving through, the guys in the ski shop reckon another half of metre of snow again tonight.The temperature has gone from -1c at lunchtime to +2 right now.
The ESF guys have got their snowblower on top of their magic carpet blowing the snow off!
snow report
chopkins13: re Mont de la Guerre, it is really more an "itinerary red" rather than a proper piste (similar to Malgovert in Les Arcs).
The long track down to the start (past the old church on the hill) is pisted, but from then on it is left "natur". A wonderful run in good conditions.
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, sounds great, how long you out there for?
ski holidays
@gazzaredcruiser, another week or so....
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, i'm out on the 23rd, if you're still in resort, would be good to grab a beer, always nice to put a face to a name Smile
snow report
We are coming out this Saturday. Wow there is some sort of the white stuff due. Fresh Lines every day all day Toofy Grin
snow report
@gazzaredcruiser, Nope have to be home by then for youngest to go back to Uni.
@Jerby, Hopefully the forecast for rain all day tomorrow and Saturday below 2000m is wrong Shocked
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
latest report
I'm going to search out this Nazi Bear. Never noticed it before

Laughing
latest report
Bit of a family in-joke, I'm afraid. The picture of a bear on the wall of the restaurant has his paw raised in greeting, really, but it can be seen otherwise...

snowHead
snow conditions
I shall find it. Do the Source it's lovely
ski holidays
@Chris Bish, which restaurant is it? Inside/outside?
snow report
It is the one in front of you as you come off the Becoin chair and turn right towards Aime. The picture is big and on the wall facing you. Outside.

snowHead
snow report
@boredsurfin, oh well, next time may be, enjoy the rest of your time on and off piste.
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
Sources has been widened in recent years, especially at the steep bit between rocks. It is a delightful run. There is plenty of run-out at the bottom of the steep bit, so if it all goes pear-shaped you can just let go and schuss. There is little to choose between reds and blues in La Plagne, in my experience. There are blues with some steep bits (Mont St Saveur can be tricky in poor viz) and reds - like Sources - which are mostly cruisy. That is one of the charms of the place. You can go most places with confidence once you have got your edges in some sort of control and can turn on a slope.
Tunnel goes much the same way and if you can do that, and you can, I would say that Sources is no more than 10% more difficult in the perfect snow conditions we are going to have from now on. Which is the wink smiley?

snowHead

Thanks to everyone for their comment/tips about Reds

You're right about the "Blues with some steep bits", with some of them being close to the villages

I remember my first Ecartee run on my first visit to LP. I skied down from the top of the Aoletts drag, past the Bergeries lift and dropped down between PV & PS on what was clearly a Blue that then became very Green-like. However, I then went under the bridge and was a bit shocked by the steepness of the last couple of hundred yards down to the Bergerie chair.

Similarly on my first run over to Bellcote, I was surprised by how steep and mogolly things got after the Trieuse restaurant after the Bluey-Green nature of the run down from the top of the Bergerie chair.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woke up to rain Sad which has now turned to steady drizzle and thick low cloud dreek if we were in Scotland. The balcony is now clear of snow which means I could bring some logs in if I needed them - the temp is 3c atm.
snow report

Ah, the White Supremacist Polar Bear! We had the same thought....
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Woke up to rain Sad which has now turned to steady drizzle and thick low cloud dreek if we were in Scotland. The balcony is now clear of snow which means I could bring some logs in if I needed them - the temp is 3c atm.

dreich

Please spell correctly. (And for once, it isn't, here)
ski holidays
Anyone know why the TYROLIEN drag lift in Belle Plagne hasn't opened yet? It's really useful at the end of the day to reach the accommodation at the top of the village on skis - gives us the choice of coming down from Grand Rochette, Blanchetts or Arpette - if it's closed then it's just Arpette or a hike through the village itself.
snow conditions
Driech indeed, in lots of places it seems. I learnt that word when I started commuting to work over the Eaglesham moor road in Ayrshire. Dangerous too at the time, with blackleg coal lorries thundering along.
snow report
@andyrew, apologies for my southerness Cool Or rather bloody auto correct!

@chopkins13, They were working on it 2 days ago - It looked although they were going to open it. As only 55% is open a the moment i am becoming suspicious of the lift co's motives..... Looking out of the window there is no reason the new Grangette lift can't be opened, it was running this morning, but it remains closed.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, thanks - hopefully they'll get Tyrolien up and running in next few days then.

With Grangette I thought that was mainly just to serve the 'Stadium' run for the race teams on a weekend etc when training? Your everyday skiers would probably prefer to just use the new Gondola anyway perhaps? Do agree though, like in any business, if your turnover is down due to a bad spell (warm December) then you need to find ways to cut costs - hopefully this is not at the expense of your January customer's mind!!!
ski holidays
@chopkins13, Well yes but no but! Next week is the quietest mid season week so things can only get worse on that theory! I'm hoping they just put off employing the casual lift staff until the weather settles down....
Originally the new Grangette was for ESF use only. But it has been updated with all the necessary legal notices for General Public to use. We shall wait and see, as it comes out where the old Montalbert Chair did it will be useful for the holiday centres up there and to visit the Forperet restaurant as well as skiing circuits without having to go all the way up to Fornelet.
snow report
Looks like the rain is slowly turning things a bit brown and yucky down at Montalbert.....

http://laplagne.roundshot.com/montalbert/

On the bright side, doesn't look like the rain is much above 2000m as it's still looking good at the top of the Bergerie lift....

http://laplagne.roundshot.com/bergerie/
snow report
Its alright out of my Montalbert window Very Happy
snow conditions
Anyone got the La Plagne IPad app? Mine seems stuck in summer mode with no winter piste map! The iPhone and Samsung apps are fine, just seems to be an issue for the iPad app for me!
snow conditions
All I can say is that it looks as bad as it does on the webcams
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy