Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
yeah, i wasn't being serious about the head torches rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gazzaredcruiser, Yeah but head torches do help wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just booked up for Plagne Soleil in the first week of Feb.

I'm looking forward to being back in La Plagne. We went to Ski Amade last winter. It was a nice change but I prefer the ski-in/ski-out of LP over the drive somewhere everyday of Ski Amade.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will there be a 2015/16 snow/weather conditions thread for LP or is this going to be a general purpose LP thread for the season?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't seen a 2015/16 piste map yet

Are there any changes from the 2014/15 map ?

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/PlanPistes-PleinEcran.htm

After the Colosses upgrade, was the Leitchoums drag lift moved over to become the Dou du Praz ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ukredsox, Yes the drag was moved in time for last season.

There's a spanking new Gondola up from Montalbert to the top of the Fornelet this season, progress reports regularly posted here: http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm

Plus a small magic carpet has appeared in Montalbert to help you get up the Front de Neige on a morning and on to the afore mentioned Gondola.

They've also removed the Belle Plagne chair and put a magic carpet in on the beginner slope instead.

Think that's about it for this year, anything I've missed anyone?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ukredsox, I have downloaded the Yuge app for the resort, and it appears to be showing a 2015/2016 piste map, as it has the new gondola from Montalbert. Not getting to use the app in resort until February, but it looks like it might be useful, showing which lifts are open, weather report etc. That of course depends on it being updated regularly. Also has a tracking system so you can see where you have skied that day, and seems to have a facility to trace linked apps so you can meet up with friends and family if separated in resort. Plus webcams which I am trying to avoid checking as I don't want to get disheartened at the lack of snow, or envious because it looks fab and I'm not there. Waiting to see how much it pulls on battery life though...... Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, I'll check out the new App

The new DDP drag will be useful for us because we're staying half way up the Chalets des Alpages steps

My normal webcam for checking is the one on the top of the Bergerie lift. However, that's been out of order since Nov 2014. If anyone passes by, please throw a snowball at it to see if that gets it going again Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 14-12-15 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it's currently ok at the top but lower down it's the wrong colour Sad . there was 30cm forecast for this week but that seems to have now reduced to a miserly 7cm on Wednesday. I went last Jan and the coverage was OK but not great, we decided to go back this season to try those areas that weren't skiable last year! with some luck they'll get a good dumping after Christmas and the 3 days before I go on the 23rd Jan!! of course least year it dumped two foot two days after we left rolling eyes

here's hoping.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Them sure are wonderful pics on perso-laplagne, chopkins13.
Real pity its slowly deterorating in the mild weather.
Down in Montalbert not so good, but higher up still looks ok.

The pdf piste map on the La Plagne website still last season's version rolling eyes .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are out Boxing day, Although i'm too worried at the moment its the temps that are the concern. Fingers crossed history will repeat and there will be a dump NY week.! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, I've seen it worse in Montalbert at this time of year Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Currently at Belle Plagne since Saturday. Not seen a cloud since we got here but cold enough for the snow blowers to be working during the day. Nice piste skiing at Roche de Mio and Arpette and the place is deserted. Snow forecast for Wednesday but miles better than this time last year
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Not seen a cloud since we got here but cold enough for the snow blowers to be working during the day

that sounds good. snowHead What altitude is that at?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Not seen a cloud since we got here but cold enough for the snow blowers to be working during the day

that sounds good. snowHead What altitude is that at?

Some of the canons were running mid-morning today in Les Arcs, above Arc 1800 around 1900-2100m as a guesstimate. Not sure how long they ran them for, but it looked like they were making snow on at least a couple of different pistes.
ski holidays
Temperatures do seem very mixed, around the slopes generally - it's good that they're blowing snow when and where they can.
latest report
They were on down to Bellecote. We haven't been any lower I'm afraid. No acces to Montchavin from Arpette at the moment. We'll see how far we can go towards Montalbert tomorrow. Great fun on empty slopes and lifts.
snow report
@pam w, I was surprised to see them as it felt quite mild, but they were definitely running them to make snow (rather than just testing or clearing the pipes). My weather station says the minimum temperature today (at 1810m) was -3.0 degrees at 8.30am, maximum temp was 2.6 degrees at 3.05pm.
ski holidays
No blowers going today I'm afraid and it certainly felt milder. Pistes holding up though despite quite a few stony areas now starting to appear more frequently. Some snow forecast for tomorrow so fingers crossed
ski holidays
Yesterday rdsweb wrote:
We'll see how far we can go towards Montalbert tomorrow
rdsweb, you are there in the Pre(view) Week. There is usually no link to any of the other areas: Champagny, Montchavin, or Montalbert.
The resort don't open Proper until this Saturday.
This opening day, so i'm told, used to be a grand day with a party atmosphere: sweets and free drinks at the bottom of lift stations, cheery people going round in La Plagne outfits to encourage general jolliness.
No more: Opening Saturdays now much like any other day - just you can access the other areas at last.
Glacier area didn't open last year until after Christmas.
ski holidays
Been coming at this time for years😀 First time was 1976. As far as I remember what is open depends on snow conditions.

Glacier was open this afternoon when I went up Roche de Mio
ski holidays
Anyone in resort been able to get hold of a new piste map? Still no sign of it online or in the App.
snow report
@chopkins13, It's here as usual wink
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#16_12_15
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, Brilliant! That wasn't there at lunchtime today when I checked!!

Can waste a few more hours studying that now just to get more excited about our forthcoming January trip!!

thanks @boredsurfin,
ski holidays
@chopkins13, It's as inaccurate as ever Laughing snowHead wink
Send me an SAE and I'll post you a hard copy from Montalbert on Monday Toofy Grin
latest report
@chopkins13, there seems to be an up to date piste map on the Yuge app - it shows a gondola from Montalbert, which is only opening this season.
latest report
I think I still prefer a paper map - doesn't rely on your battery not dying Skullie
ski holidays
Is the Dou Du Praz drag a free one ?

If so, it'll be handy for me on the afternoon we arrive
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If all goes well, I'd like to progress to some Red runs this trip.

I was thinking of starting with Inversens

Does this sound like a good idea to the LP experts or should I be looking at other Reds instead?
snow report
The Source is a gorgeous red. That should be a blue apart from the steep bits Wink

The Inversens means you have to sit on the worlds slowest chair back up

The Source takes you through Belle Plagne and into Bellecotte if you want.
latest report
@ukredsox, I used the Dou Du Praz drag last season and recall you requiring a pass I'm afraid. There is a beginners tow rope on the nursery slope just below it though (very much a green!)

As for progressing to reds, you're spoilt for choice in La Plagne. Inversions is very wide with a consistent gradient, so on this basis a good place to start. However, two words of caution - it's the piste to no-where, the only way back up at the bottom (unless you fancy a black run!) Is to jump back on the Inversions chair - probably one of the longest, slowest and coldest lifts in La Plagne - might want to save it for a warm day!

Another good red to start on might be the ones heading down into Montalbert if snow conditions are good - the new Gondola going back up should make for a quicker return to the main area.

Finally, over on the Champagny sector, you have a good cruisey red running underneath the Borseliers 3 lift from which it's possible to 'bail out' onto the parallel blue piste if you struggle - that said there's not a great deal of difference between the red and the blue running under this lift to be honest!

My biggest piece of advice is to find out about the conditions, this is more important than the colours - an icy hard packed blue can be a lot worse than a nice wide red with fresh snow on top. Les Sources (Red) is a great example of this, only one steep bit, absolutely fantastic in fresh snow, totally horrid and down right dangerous to the nervous skier if it's polished and icy!
snow report
Day 1. (arrived on train last night).
Conditions slightly better than they were this time last year, AND this year we have sunshine! (last year was dull, dull, dull)
We were sitting out at mid-day for drinks at the Bergerie and quite comfortable in brilliant sunshine from cloud free blue sky.
Hardly anyone about - straight onto the Roche de Mio Gondola and up to Glacier without any wait.
Took the zig-zag red back down (it is just Day 1) and one run down to the Chalet de Bellecote chair.
Back from Roche de Mio via the tunnel - they've removed the scary animal experience and replaced it with a colourful light show and "Jingle Bells" - jolly, but not nearly as much fun as the squawks and threatening shadows of last year.
Most of the pistes are quite enjoyable, but sections with stones can suddenly appear, so be careful - especially so on the section from the tunnel down to Belle Plagne, and the blue down from Grand Rochette (which is also well mogulled).
All in all, a lovely first day.
Quite looking forward to tomorrow.
snow conditions
The Bergerie is our default end-of-day bar before heading back to the chalet.

Have any of you drunk the frog infused alcohol ?

This isn't a anti-French comment, there's genuinely a frog in the bottle.

Thanks for the advice re the Reds. I agree that conditions can be just as important as piste designations. This is especially true in LP, where some of the steepest, mougliest blues are those running down into the resorts, eg after going under the bridge beneath the Bergerie lift or down into Belcotte from the restaurant close to where the old Colosses drag used to be.
ski holidays
The classic has to be the blue left out of the Grand Rochette.

I've seen marriages end there Laughing
snow report
@Whisky_priest, +1 Laughing

@ukredsox, The Reds in Montalbert will be OK much later in the season, early season they tend to be icy from freeze thaw and man made snow in places, plus they are all forest tracks and forest fire breaks so need lots of snow to cover all the routes and stones, loose branches etc.
Having said that they are usually very quiet and thoroughly enjoyable. Very Happy
IF conditions are good go over and have a look at Murs if theres snow it's a good Red, officially is black, but only if theres been no snow and it's been overskied! Theres a good view down it from the piste at the top so you can make a decision snowHead
ski holidays
View today from above Aime 2000 (near where old Cogs lift used to finish) over Plagne Centre and on to Roche de Mio (with Bellecote mountain in the distance)

Similar day to yesterday. Wonderfully quiet. Snow still good in most places.
Became cloudy late morning - raised our hopes - then all the cloud faded away.

Runs down from Colorado lifts quite lovely, and up Becoin OK, but run down from Aime back to Plagne Centre going brown with lots of stones.
I think those coming out for Christmas week will be ok (as long as it don't get too busy), but i'm glad i will be going back to UK next on Christmas Eve
It could be tough for the New Year week.
snow report
@Jonpim, Tough for NY week! Yikes I am heading out boxing day for the week. Fingers crossed the snow gods get their act together to freshen it up. Thanks for the updates.
ski holidays
24 Jan for me.

Off to snow dance
snow conditions
@Jonpim, are they making snow on the linking pistes? What is their snow making capacity like?
ski holidays
Day 3: Montalbert to Montchavin (well, almost)

Resort fully open today, so should have been able to get everywhere.
Well, not everywhere: links over to Champagny closed, presumably to protect the south facing slopes.
So, first over to see the new Montalbert Gondola:

We did the run down to Montalbert: to have any sort of run they have sacrificed all the blues and just kept the central red: very hard all the way down. We won't be going that way again until it snows some.
The gondola is excellent. 10 seats and lovely views. Unfortunately views today not so good.
Looking back at Montalbert:

And looking up as we went:

Back up at Le Fornelet (1970m), it was really warm: jackets and jumpers off for picnic lunch in blazing sunshine.
Then we set off for Montchavin/Les Coches to see what it was like getting down to the Vanoise, which of course meant having to go all the way down to La Roche (1250m). Yet again, only one way down where the snowmakers are pitched, and rock hard run all the way down.
In general, runs above 2000m are OK - some really lovely - but any piste looking south and getting the sun is suffering. Those pistes below 2000m and in the shade are holding up well, but rock hard.
The run down from Aime2000 a bit more stony and a bit browner. Capella from top of Colorado was lovely. Trieuse was its usual hard state with anxious learners floundering all over.
Then came the highlight of the day: Dos Rond. We should have gone there first, because it was closed until today. Even to, there was still lots of soft snow about:

From the bottom of Dos Rond down to the Vanoise was hard all the way. Another area we won't be going to until it snows some (but at least you can get down to the Vanoise - what its like on the other side i couldn't tell).
So back home for tea.
Few people about today, but the Christmas Crowds were coming in as we got back to 1800. Could be a lot less fun tomorrow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy