Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
wigglies concur with some precipitation around the 17th, but are keeping the temps above average Sad

http://www.gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=stuben
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, mid Feb is about the coldest part of winter in terms of average temps. That would still be snow in the village (were it to happen like that).

For comparison that red line sits on about 0C for much of December in the Arlberg and is about -1C for mid Jan. In mid Feb it's closer to -4C. So compared to average for mid February it is milder. But not for much of winter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen wrote:
kitenski, mid Feb is about the coldest part of winter in terms of average temps. That would still be snow in the village (were it to happen like that).

For comparison that red line sits on about 0C for much of December in the Arlberg and is about -1C for mid Jan. In mid Feb it's closer to -4C. So compared to average for mid February it is milder. But not for much of winter.

Sorry, if this has been answered somewhere before, but what does the thick green line represent in that graph? (GFS -Hauptlauf)

Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Toadman, read this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852 if you have lots of time, or the third paragraph on my website here if you don't! http://www.gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=stuben
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yesterday

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's not a good place for a chopper to be...

Just got back - pistes were in ok nick, but well worth taking the time out to get around to Lech and Zurs where the snow seems to be better. Off piste is rubbish if you want to mess around at the side of the piste as a million other people will have done that before you... However, take a guide and they should find something worth skiing - we had beautiful spring conditions, our guide was saying that this was the least snow that he'd seen in 15 years in the region.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RichardJHJ wrote:
That's not a good place for a chopper to be...

Well apparently there had been a very serious accident, so I guess the best protection for the victim and the rescuers is a helicopter, cause nobody is skiing into that Smile

RichardJHJ wrote:
our guide was saying that this was the least snow that he'd seen in 15 years in the region.

I don't know who the guide where, but does 140 to 240cm of snow seems a little to you!!

It certainly depends on where you're looking, take for example the southfacing hills just above town, the ground is always warm there and the suns hits it very hard, so the snow never stay very long there, but on the other hand up high on the E-N-NW facing runs where the sun never comes and the wind puts the snow, that is a completely different story.

So we can't just say "it is the least snow I've seen..." what I can say is "the amount of snow fallen over the last period of time is below/above average" and it is certainly well below average.

Hope that you will still come back and enjoy the normaly high snowfalls we're getting here wink

Cheers,
Torben
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
torbs, so so so want to come back, the off piste looked amazing but really could have done with some fresh!! But, think that i'll leave it until next season.

Ok, your point it taken on average etc, it's good there was a solid base put down early in the season, but very sad that it hasn't been topped up in a while.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where are all doing our snow dances every night - belive me, hopefully the end of this week brings in a little bit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heading for St Anton tomorrow, hope there is some snow, Im a bit concerned after reading this thread Puzzled This is the only week I can make and St Anton looked to be fairing better than most on the snow reports I looked at.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chaletlizard, just back, had a great week with some epic skiing but make sure you get over to the other parts covered by your lift pass...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SNOW ALERT

CANCELLED

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 14-02-11 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:
SNOW ALERT

Starting Tuesday night . All day Wednesday , this one looks good Very Happy

How good Puzzled St Anton main web page is not so good.

Quote:
14.02.2011 / 15.02.2011 / 16.02.2011 / 17.02.2011 / 18.02.2011
Forecast
°C Night / Day -3°C / 6°C -5°C / 5°C -4°C / 6°C -3°C / 3°C -4°C / 1°C
°F Night / Day 27°F / 43°F 23°F / 41°F 25°F / 43°F 27°F / 37°F 25°F / 34°F
Rainfall risk
AM / PM 0% / 0% 0% / 30% 30% / 20% 30% / 50% 50% / 70%
Hours of sunshine 6 4 1 1 0
Below-zero border 1900 m 1800 m 1800 m 1700 m 1400 m

The friendly, partly sunny weather conditions, forecast for the beginning of next week, will not stay with us for long. A lively southerly foehn wind will bring weak extensions of unsettled conditions from the Mediterranean regions and result in more changeable and slightly unsteady weather conditions. On Wednesday, the southerly foehn wind will strengthen on the north side of the Alps. Clouds approaching from the south will accumulate along the main Alpine ridge. Thursday and Friday will bring slightly unsteady conditions and scattered showers. The snowfall line will sink towards 2000 meters, however, larger amounts of new snow are not expected.

But then looking at the Snow-forecast web site indicates much colder temps at much lower levels.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Folks sorry forecast changed snow evaporated
Nothing in forecast for at least next 7 days if anything
Its getting warmer again.

If snow comes in March it could turn out to be
A deadly month like once before. To much at one time.

Carry on sun bathing!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton, in fairness the forecast is flipping back and forth faster than they pull pints in the Moose at present...
ski holidays
I guess no sense worrying about it. We have our travel plans set for the week of Feb. 26th. Still plenty that can happen over the next 12-14 days. Wondering if I should jsut cancel the reservation in Grindelwald for the week of March 5th. I have until Feb. 18th to decide before I incur booking cancelation fees. Confused
ski holidays
Pathetically light dusting at resort level in Lech. Still, at least it was some snow!
snow report
GFS has flipped again towards colder temps/chance of something around the 20th/21st Feb (But given it's flip flopping every 6 hours.................)

St Anton website concurs...

the next Atlantic disturbance will approach and bring more unsteady weather on Sunday.
latest report
Someone needs to put their ski boot down on that forecast, and wring its little neck for some snow in Austria!
ski holidays
forecast for Arlberg sounds as crazily unpredictable as it has been in Pacific Northwest this year. Fingers/toes crossed for snow in next week - we arrive in Lech on 25th ...
ski holidays
Think it is snowing in St Anton now...
snow report
looks like light snow on the cars/roof of hotel in St Christoph from the webcams??

snow report
gortonator wrote:
forecast for Arlberg sounds as crazily unpredictable as it has been in Pacific Northwest this year. Fingers/toes crossed for snow in next week - we arrive in Lech on 25th ...

Hey gortonator We arrive in Lech Feb. 26th. Our first time. Maybe we could hook-up for some turns. Bringing the avy gear, and hoping to sample some off-piste... At least this past week in the PNW has had really good snow and allowed me to get a bit of exercise hiking into the BC at Crystal Mtn.
latest report
Just got back from 3 days in St Anton. Despite the ongoing lack of snow, they are doing an amazing job of keeping up the condition of the piste. I've skied on a lot worse, glad we went ahead.
ski holidays
chaletlizard, how did you manage to source short break digs? we are going for 3 days/4 nights next month and no one wants to put us up.
snow report
kitenski, It snowed in Lech/Zürs/Zug today.. but it was a dusting. It looked like heavy snow at Stuben/St. Christoph when I was on the bus back from hosting. The real dump is meant to be this tuesday.. but the forecast has been pretty wrong all week.. so who knows..

It did snow on a full moon again though...
ski holidays
Snowing in Lech as I type
snow report
Sitter wrote:
Snowing in Lech as I type

Don't stop typing!!!! Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toadman, Laughing Laughing
snow report
So, if it's snowing in Lech is it snowing in St.Anton too Confused
latest report
Toadman wrote:
gortonator wrote:

Hey gortonator We arrive in Lech Feb. 26th. Our first time. Maybe we could hook-up for some turns. Bringing the avy gear, and hoping to sample some off-piste... At least this past week in the PNW has had really good snow and allowed me to get a bit of exercise hiking into the BC at Crystal Mtn.

cool - where ya staying? We should def meet up. We've been a few times so know way around - intermediate/advanced group of 6 of us. We'll be doing plenty of 'near piste' assuming conditions are good, but don't have avy gear.

what your appetite with this from our trip last year ...

http://youtube.com/v/8_SjHZX2c4c

Off to Mission Ridge for weekend ... have fun out there and pray for Arlberg snow ..
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
So, if it's snowing in Lech is it snowing in St.Anton too Confused

no.. blue skies today
snow report
halfhand
FreeRider
So, if it's snowing in Lech is it snowing in St.Anton too
Sat 19 Feb, 11
00:25     
Stayed in stuben for a week a couple of years ago. Stuben had constant snow, and I mean constant, for 3 days. Skied over to St Anton a couple of times and wasn't snowing at all. As a Rule of thumb i think zurs gets twice as much snow as St anton
latest report
Well who knows what will end up in the Arlberg next week, but you wouldn't argue with this from Bergfex...

http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/
ski holidays
Ended up being only a cm or so (talking resort level here, still not able to hit the slopes yet), like Timmaah in St Anton, we've got blue skies here today.
snow report
boabski, this season it's been the opposite.. St. Anton, as far as I know!, has got significantly more snow than Lech. Stuben always gets the worst (or best?) of the weather though. It's meant to snow all week next week though.. one can only hope.
ski holidays
Returned on Friday night from 4 days in Lech. As mentioned above there were a couple of very light dustings of snow in that time but nothing significant. It was warmer in Lech village on Friday afternoon than it is in Ealing as I type and the mountains clearly need some snow. However, all the pistes are open (and all but one of the "ski routes") so it hardly affected our holiday at all. In fact we had a great time and skied for miles. Don't worry.
snow conditions
Light snow today & tomorrow. Nothing significant for next few days. Pistes in excellent shape especially Rendl,Zurs . Bachseite still great
snow report
Looks like a reasonable amount of new from the cars in St Christoph?? Any on the ground news on how much fresh was received Smile
latest report
At Rendl Beach 08:55 this morning I measured 10cm on the tables Very Happy

Up higher around 15-20cms. Its snowing in town now.

Gampen pretty much ´Dust on Crust´

It will calm down for tomorrow. More snow is forecast for Thursday

Stuben Zurs & Lech is getting ALOT more (normal) snow today than St Anton

Personally I would not venture off-piste due to the lack of any base, rocks.open ravines, gullys
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy