Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
Unfortunately no lift pass won at the races this year!!!! But what a race from Andytown!!! Kauto was awesome again....
Can concentrate on preparing for our break in L2D now!!!!
Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really warm again today, possibly hotter than yesterday. I've even come out wearing shorts.

Updated my season thread in snowboarding again, it includes some photos from La Voute in La Grave.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aztec, I ony got to see the half hour highlights programme in the end Sad but I watched the Gold Cup twice this morning - that horse is just pure class. I wonder if he'd beat Masterminded over 2 miles? After all he has won the Tingle Creek among other 2 mile races ...

as Swirly, said, very hot - beautifu spring weather - what a difference not to have to wear 8 or 9 layers. Very Happy Love it. I'm sorry but I forgot a photo. Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm sorry but I forgot a photo. Embarassed

Thats it, I'll have to come out and take my own tomorrow wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been boiling hot again today - wonderful. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy What a fantastic change not to have to wear so many clothes you can hardly move. Very Happy that's 3 days on the trot too (or is it four?) Anyway, of course the snow is a bit slushy low down after lunch, but that's a small price to pay.

I was up at Bellecombe this morning and the snow condition was good, Cretes at lunchtime was perfect, and skiing down the Valentin at about 14.15 the conditions couldn't have been better - firm base and a nice thin layer of soft snow on top. I'm sure it was pretty horrid by 17.00 though. The nursery slopes weren't too bad either at the end of the day, considering the heat. Very Happy

Pix looking up towards the Grand couloir from the bottom of the Bellecombe lift, and of a totally magnificent ensemble that I spotted there. Just after that a young fella came through apparently sporting a whole wood. Shocked Trees, foliage and a sun on his right shoulder. Shocked Shocked One after the other was too much for me so I didn't manage to photograph that one. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a young fella came through apparently sporting a whole wood.

Wonder if that was Nico from the Yeti, he has an interesting taste in one-piece and that sounds similar to what he wears.

Snow is as easiski says, of course I'm loving the slush: hit the Grand Pente just before 5 today and it was fantastic lots of short turns top to bottom non-stop firing slush everywhere. Met up with Lizzard and Mr Lizzard for a bit too. Only downer was a major goggle and glasses smashing wipe out. Glasses are fixed (thanks to Mr Lizzard for finding the second lens) but goggles are headed to the poubelle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, did you say you are in Lutins most days after skiing? If you are I'll pop in to say hello. The Irish Champs are going pretty well, came third in the bordercross yesterday after one false start run I won! then I came second in the rerun, a win in the semi and third in the final, happy with that and it was great fun. Not so good today in GS as fourth! Next up is Paddy's day railjam in the snowpark and then novice freestyle on Wednesday, won't be my strongest event but maybe some of the others can teach me some tricks.

I really is warm alright, GS skis aren't great in late afternoon slush, I'll be glad to be back on twin tips tomorrow.

Re the horses maybe the lads in Nicholl's yard could have that race on the gallops, actually they could nearly hold the Gold Cup in Nicholl's yard next year and save all the main contenders having to travel!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Ross, Yes - most evenings around 5 in the Lutins - look for the gaggle of ladies of a certain age, and one lone man! Laughing Well done so far in the champs too.

Other Snowheads around this week are DavidAsh, Pollyperks, with Aztec and Mr Aztec arriving shortly. Very Happy

Very warm, lovely day (not quite as warm as yesterday though). Snow nice but slushy low down after lunch - proper spring conditions. Very Happy Very Happy Pic looking up Petit Cretes and towards the Cretes proper (green and blue respectively).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lovely again, hotter than yesterday, but mushier snow low down and the higher snow was turning at around midday. It won't last, but it cheers everyone up for a bit. Very Happy
Butterfly, & Awol skied down from the glacier to the Cretes. this was s first for butterfly Very Happy we even took in a bit of off piste and the pic shows Awol & Caistor Skier on Moonland, Butterfly is just out of shot.

Can't really complain about anything. Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks great, easiski. I'm feeling jealous and nostalgic now!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Easiski,
conditions look great, I see its meant to be sunny into next week.
Do you reckon ski-ing conditions will still be good next week. Am concerned about the lack of fresh snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
justinj wrote:
Hi Easiski,
conditions look great, I see its meant to be sunny into next week.
Do you reckon ski-ing conditions will still be good next week. Am concerned about the lack of fresh snow.

Ditto. Going on Saturday for a week. Sounds like it's been gorgeous sun for most of the week and is forecast to stay that way for a few more days. Is the snow condition going to hold up?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did novice freestyle today, pretty much a first for me with every trick! Won't know results til Friday, what suspence! So hot here today, my face is feeling it, although snow holding up well excpet for down the bottom, did some off-piste after comp off the back of Toura area, nice shaded snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can confirm that Peter Ross, has caught the sun! Laughing Laughing

justinj, aaaaa, there is plenty of snow, but obviously with very warm spring weather at the moment it's thaw and re-freeze conditions lower down. Above the Cretes level though it's pretty good all day, and if you look for the north facing slopes.

Pic is of the Grand Viking at about 16.30 this afternoon - no probs with cover as you can see although it was pretty slushy. Still my near beginners were perfectly fine in it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today was the return of the biting N wind. Sad It was still sunny, and still warm out of the wind, but in it was most unpleasant. Sad Otherwise the snow is as you'd expect, getting hard in the mornings low down, fine higher up and well soggy by end of play at vlllage level every day. The forecast seems very bitty, with temps up and down and maybe some more snow in the middle of next week - possibly going on for about 7-10 days according the netweather.tv!

a fetching couple in the pic today taken from the top of the Petit Cretes chair - note how much higher the snowline is compared with a week or so ago.
ski holidays
Skied Alpe d'Huez today - usual spring combination of boiler plate and slush. Can once again confirm that 2Alpes is a better bet for late season skiing.
ski holidays
Peter Ross, what was it like near the bottom off the back?

Did Mines yesterday (to the Romanche from the bottom of the Signal chair) great snow, still powdery for quite a way, then rocks and avvy debris followed by trees! I'll post some pics when I get ScottishSkier's
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Skied Alpe d'Huez today - usual spring combination of boiler plate and slush

Sounds delightful Shocked
latest report
It was horribly windy this morning -99 kph at the top of signal at one point. Shocked On the Cretes first thing it was most disagreeable so we came down and worked at the bottom all day. Actually it was quite nice. the snow was very hard though due to a much colder night last night, however that meant it was nice around early afternoon. Very Happy
Pic of the Pied Moutet side from the top of the Petite Aiguille chair - looking good. Very Happy
latest report
the wind was a lot better today and we did get up to the glacier. It was brassic and windy, but doable. Very Happy clear skies, great views, snow on the Puy Salié was fine, snow on the Signal was wonderful. Very Happy Patches of hard around, but not too many right down to the Cretes which was fine. I skied 2 legs of the Demoiselles (puddingy), and then bottom of Valentin at about 15.30 and it was apparent that the cannons had been working last night, which is the first time for a week or so. Very Happy Very Happy I'm afraid the camera and the phone both refused to play on the photo front Sad So I'll try again tomorrow.
ski holidays
easiski, How about these - my camera was functioning! First is I think on Route de Thuite this pm, second was on Linacons about 4.30pm Madeye-Smiley

snow report
Late starter, thanks, and I'm sure the regular readers will appreciate it too. Very Happy
snow report
Yes, thanks, Late starter - and did you offer yourself as a "body" for the lift evacuation exercise?
ski holidays
It was very warm in the village today, although the hard snow still wasn't softening up much by midday. Snow on the Cretes was OK though and the Valentin was nice apart from a cannon malfunction right at the top which was fenced off. they'd been running the cannons again last night, and there was some really nice snow, although not uniform on the way down. It's wierd though, you just hit the slush about 5m after nice firm packed snow Shocked. Fortunately you can see it coming. Very Happy I had thought about the GP but tried a couple of turns at the top and it was too frozen ruts.

Photo of La Muzelle today - difficult to see but there are tracks on the glacier. You don't see it that often, but someone's made the hike. Very Happy I upped the contrast in the hope that you can all see them, but not too sure.
ski holidays
Swirly, It wasn't bad, a little slushy, I did the black Selle a few times and only the last little bit back to the blue piste was slushy where it had got the sun. I planned to get over there a few more times on Friday but I twisted my ankle in the park on Thursday so wasn't up to anything other than smooth blues on Friday.

Good news is I came second in the intermediate ski freestyle

here's a photo from the La Fee area on Wednesday afternoon

here's the glacier on Thursday

Before the GS as the ESF track above the village on Monday last

waiting for the start of heat 1 of the skiercross

My medal haul!
ski holidays
what's with the snow formations on the glacier? Trying to catch new snow or is it from moving snow around???????

welll done Peter Ross,
snow report
kitenski, snow farming for piste grooming purposes, I think.

Peter Ross, well done.
snow conditions
I think it's furrows for planting the crops, some high altitude arable farming maybe snowHead I think it's really to retain the snow like snow fencing.

kitenski, achilles, thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, achilles, Peter Ross, Yes - to stop the snow blowing away. It works apparently. Very Happy

Peter Ross, Great stuff - see your suntan was still good when you got your medals. Laughing Laughing Congrats - a certified winning snowhead. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, My nose is starting to peel now though, I only realized I had factor 50 in my bags on Thursday. We had a great week, next time I'll also get trips to La Grave and Alpe D'Huez in.
snow report
Peter Ross, well done mate, good to meet you, thought it was the beer in the Lutins that made you look that colour the other day but I see the beer wasn't so strong after all Toofy Grin
snow conditions
today was lovely, warm, not too windy and the snow held up as per yesterday. I did ski the Pente on my way down at about 14.30, but was 30-60 mins early for the best conditions. Pic is looking up it on the opposite side to the one I normally ski.
ski holidays
Tipping it down this morning, a good couple of centimeters in the last hour. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Hope it produces some nice fresh powder coating and there isn't strong wind immediately trying to remove/redistribute it.
ski holidays
Butterfly, Higher wind on the Cretes than on the glacier according to the DAL website! Shocked Cold - miz. Sad
ski holidays
easiski, eew not nice! It's really useful that Les Deux Alpes has such a choice of different areas for teaching though so you're not stuck for somewhere to go if it's foul on the Cretes. I have to say I was really surprised at the variety offered by the lower slopes.
snow report
I'm hoping those lower slopes of the face hold up for the week of 11th and my 8 year old and his 7 year old cousin like going up and down on the buttons in the afternoon while we have a spot of food and drink. Its great because they're never out of our site but feel like they're skiing on their own.
ski holidays
garethjomo, I reckon there's over a metre on the lower slopes, and they were making snow until today whenever possible, so I can't imagine you'll have anything less than full cover.

A truly nasty day today. In the morning it tried to cheer up once or twice but was dissuaded. Sad The new snow was mostly quite heavy and sticky down low, but there was more on the village slopes than the Cretes, wind I suppose. Once back down again (don't ask), we went on a jolly little off piste excursion through the woods behind the Mercure hotel in the village. Nice snow actually, but getting down to the lift once we returned to the (closed) Petite Aiguille chair was a little adventurous. Laughing

Pic looking up at the tree route.
snow report
Got horrid alpine withdrawal symptoms Crying or Very sad. I'd even snowplough ALL of Desmoiselles and not complain once if I could escape & come back Shocked
latest report
Nice to see you hold excellent conditions, some friends thinking in 3-4 days skinning in the ecrins, so I suppose that conditions are similar... When L2A close the winter season?? If warm and dry weather remains in the pyrenees the oisans is not much far away...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy