Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
It's been a horrid day, cold, cloudy, windy, bad light and snowing off and on - however this is good news for tomorrow (we hope). With a bit of luck it will be all lovely and quiet at least for the first 2-3 hours. Very Happy

Pic of a miserable view looking up to the top of the Thuit from the path (Route du Thuit) and pretty lights through a mucky window on my way down at the end of the day.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, Hows it looking out there? Did you get that storm or did it blow over? Tell me theres loads of fresh?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New Years Eve at the bottom of the Lutins Slope.......

ESF Display.....

Snowing lots....

Torchlit descent...

Lots of people.....

Sorry pics of fireworks were a bit iffy so haven't posted them Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Missus R32's been Easiski'd!

A beautiful day on the Cretes....very quiet as half the population of LDA were still in bed after the night before!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
R32, keep those thermals on for the drive home - didnt get above -2 yesterday and its been 0c all day today in Wrekenton.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
R32, looks good to me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
R32 Great pix - hesitate to post mine now, but it's specially for Butterfly Very Happy In rush for dinner. Pic is from the Petit Cretes Chair looking up at the Cretes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, Happy New Year. We're off snowshoeing today; just can't hack a lift queue. Looks like you had an excellent start to the season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, thanks - am counting the days down (64 now)! I look here for your pics every day esp as again I can't access your website & we cannot work oiut why. Pat who's coming in March can't either and she's with a totally different ISP - pipex. It's weird - wonder if it is worth you reporting it to the host of the site as there may be others with the same problem & you wouldn't know.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Today.........

Looking up towards the Valentin from Veronica Snowcafe.......

Pied Moutet side......

Missus R32 was flattened by a big, fat, smelly, hairy, ugly, stinking, Italian guy on the Petite Cretes. As a typical Italian.....he cried and made a hasty retreat without apologising....even though I helped him off with his skis that were wrapped around his neck. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Think Missus R32 got the better of it even though he was 5 times the size of her......she managed to impale him on her pole before the big fat git crushed her. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Poor Mrs R32's incident happened during her lesson on the fenced off safe teaching area. Shocked The guy in question was in an ESF lesson and she was traversing on one ski (uphill). fortunately neither was going fast, and he really was fat and extremely ugly! Fab snow, fab day, cold at the glacier this morning but no wind and wonderful views. There were some little stones on the goulet du Grand Nord, but otherwise no problems, even the bottom of the Valentin was good. Posettes mid and lower sections were better than yesterday with some pow on the mid section. Very Happy Ioda is at the vets tonight to have his little op, and the R32s are off on their way back to the frozen north early tomorrow. Sad Pix of the Diable looking up from inside a red egg, and also of the Chemin des Demoiselles (first leg) from the first corner. It gets mentioned a lot but never photographed so I thought I'd do it. You can see how narrow it is.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Mrs R32 up hill skier ? wink

looks fantastic as always - (btw L2A seems to keep good pistes when most other resorts are struggling), even the Chemin des Demoiselles looks good to me sitting here in Blighty, but I am sure I would drop off to the right if I was there just now Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hope all goes well with iodas little op. sure he'll be fine, although quite annoyed afterwards Laughing

enjoying the updates as always.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great pics everyone, thanks for all the updates 71 days to go Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was very cold again today. Very sunny again though. I was on the Cretes early and was frozen! I actually skied the whole of the Valentin on the way down which is unusual for me, but it was very quiet so I figured it was worth the risk. It was fine - lots of cannon fresh around at 11.00 or so - don't suppose it will last. Lots of people were coming into resort which was a surprise, but I now see that Germany, Russia and Finland are still on hols. I have a Russian girl in a beginners class this week. Very Happy

Pic today is taken from the traverse path that leads from the bottom of Valentin across to the other end of the village, just about where you come down if you stick to the normal straight route down Grande Pente, and is looking over and down to the Champamé slope at the Mont de Lans end of the village.

thanks for the kind remarks. Very Happy Rayscoops it's what comes of having largely north-ish facing slopes. Very Happy Very Happy

sorry forgot to report - the vet on duty last night forgot Puzzled to do Ioda's op, so when I finally got the van started and got down to Bourg the other vet had to do the op then and there. Poor wobbly little cat at the moment and feeling very sorry for himself. Sad
snow conditions
easiski, I noticed a lot of Croatians arriving today: 3 coaches and a couple of cars. Saw you heading out in the van this afternoon, hope Ioda feels back to normal soon snowHead I came down Valentin today for the first time in ages to and got a clear run right down, was really fun, especially after yesterday when my edges were still feeling the effect of trying to fell trees in La Grave and looked like someone had taken a hammer to them! (I will write up New Years Day in La Grave but have an interesting day planned tomorrow so will give a full on update in my trip report thread when less knackered: been a bit ill this week too Sad).
snow conditions
Swirly, Croatia isn't included on my Tourist Office lift. Curious - WC race there today and they come here. Shocked I'm very interested to hear about LG - I've got a couple of guys here this week who are keen, also Achilles coming next week. It sounds as though you got through the woods to P1. Clear again today
snow report
Just back from a week in Les Two Lumps...

Everything's open but more snow would be good as pistes as getting quite polished with patches of slick, scraped hardpack and some stones from Toura at 2600m and all points down, although the stuff around the glacier is still great.

Favourite runs would be Signal and Beche for Hooning, Super-Diable for steep and quiet and the intinery down to Fee although that has a couple of rather trappy narrow bits Shocked

The lift system seems very efficient but there are a few flat spots that give skiers a welcome chance to a) brush up their ice-skating technique and b) laugh at tray pushers doing their little scooty-hop thing Laughing
Best route down seemed to be straight down the front between the two black pistes as at least there you got some space - Valentin is to be avoided I would say unless you like to feel like a skittle in a bowling alley.

A couple of other points - don't stay at the Hotel Amethystes and watch for maurading groups of Italian teenagers looking for trouble. Although this may be perculiar to New Year week the atmosphere after about 11 at night was quite unpleasant and indeed the Riot Police were out in force on the night itself as I staggered back from a little drinky & boogie at Smithys. I think the issue is that none of the pubs/clubs will let them in so they roam around bored and start fights - they all looked 'ard as nails too Skullie

In summary, I found the resort ugly and utterly charmless and the bars and restaurants accordingly lacking Alpine character but there is a great range of skiing for adventourous intermediates and above and I can see that that compensates. Perhaps out of season would be better - I think I'll give NY week a miss in future - too busy

Next stop 3V Very Happy
ski holidays
red 27, Shame you felt that way about the resort, I find at New Years if you book into a nice restaurant for the evening then you are fine and the crowds have left the streets by the time you have celebrated the New Year. For some reason people think that human beings are different in other parts of the world, although I have found almost everywhere I have ever been for New Year that people get loud and over exited, even Lenny Henry on Jules Holland this very New Year, made my front room positively booming.
I hope you try the resort again at a different time of year sometime in the future as the rest of the time I think you will find people to be very friendly, helpful and welcoming.
In fact if you go back the second week of March there is one snowhead here who would even buy you a drink.
snowHead Laughing
snow report
easiski, Swirly, keep the reports coming - I am following ttem with great interest, now!

easiski, in what state is Chalence?
snow report
red 27, Huh - where was our drinky??????? Were you frightened by a couple of girlies??

TBH I've posted a number of times about New Year and how it should be avoided. Yes - the Italians come specially for it, but they just like to celebrate in the street - as you said it can be unpleasant, which is why none of the locals go anywhere on the night! rolling eyes

By 'Alpine' character were you expecting little chalets? Surely you didn't expect that? Pretty little chalets and 35,000 beds are not compatible. Actually in this region the traditional building material is stone, and I hate it that they're busy covering every building in wood to try to make it look 'alpine'. I'm sorry you didn't contact either me or Lizzard we could have pointed you to the bars and restos with more charm! Smithy's is repulsive, english and expensive!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the skiing and that you found the better ways down the mountain. Very Happy

Today was again very cold (-10 in the morning) and sunny and I think the snow is holding up very well. Cretes was nice, and I skied down Grande Pente at around 14.30 or so deliberately avoiding the more 'pisted' areas and actually found that the rough stuff wasn't as rough as it looked. Very Happy
Pictures of the lower slopes looking 1)towards the Petite Aiguille end and 2) towards the Diable end.

Ioda is fine BTW, and back to himself (very wobbly yesterday), but annoyed at not being allowed out.
snow report
achilles, Not great - lots of the heavy snow was blown out of it and not more dumps yet - keep fingers crossed. It's been skied, but is very rocky apparently. Pascal said he didn't think he'd take you down it when I described you. rolling eyes
snow conditions
easiski, snivelling apologies... Embarassed I did put my head round the door of the Windsor on the Sunday but it was packed to the gunnals and I just couldn't face it and I was in a big group I tended to go with the flow... TBH I think Lizzard would have marked me down as a whining middle-class cockney knobhead, accused me of nicking her Volkls and punched my lights out, so I guess I was a bit scared yes! Thanks for all your advice about the resort which was helpful. The guys in Sport Emotion were great BTW, letting me change my skis to suit conditions and not fussing when I wiped out big-time and bent a binding... Shocked

Point taken about New Year - I didn't exactly choose to go at that time, but more joined a group a short notice to make up the numbers. Point also taken about you guys being able to point out the better places - I was well aware that lurching between the Polar Bear and Smithys was lazy, but to my shame I went with the flow despite feeling like a ghastly punter Embarassed Those going later in the year would be well advised to be more thorough in their research than I was...

As for the town, no I defintely wasn't expecting vernacular Tyrolean architecture, not least because I've been to L2A before in about '88, but I stand by my opinion that the strung out and random nature of the town, combined with a mish-mash of styles and materials and the clear lack of a strategic design to control and plan development have conspired to create an unattractive resort and a blot on what is a stunning area of the Alps. Ski resorts are always an intrusion into nature's most beautiful and precious creation - I'm always concious when skiing that by doing so I am part of the reason for that intrusion - and so this I think it is imperitive that in areas where resorts have been purpose built, rather than existing villages expanded, development is controlled and sensitive. The extraordinary natural situation of Les Deax Alpes makes the insensitive nature of the town all the more jarring. In another life I was an achitect and I'm well aware that the commercial in these situations can be overwhelming; I think there can be little doubt that sadly those pressures have won the day in this case...

I forgot to mention what must be the best ski-lift in the world - the 8-man chair up from the back of Toura to the Glacier - the Baltic Express - that thing can really move the meat, but wrap up! It looks new - why in the name of God didn't they put weather hoods on the chairs?? Skullie
snow report
red 27, The best ski-lift in the world.........

snow conditions
R32, oh dude - that makes me want to be back there.... We got some perfect weather over the last week right?

Another thing I forgot to mention is on a day like that there is the most stunning view of Mont Blanc from the back of the Signal chairlift Shocked Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

why in the name of God didn't they put weather hoods on the chairs??

Because we're hard here, you whining southern poofter. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

why in the name of God didn't they put weather hoods on the chairs??

Because we're hard here, you whining southern poofter. Laughing Laughing

It is a known medical fact that too long spent on cold chair lifts leads to memory loss... In acute cases otherwise near-normal nails northern birds have been known to drive off leaving their Tigers leaning on their Clio - you should start getting Jandri 7 up to the top hon. wink
latest report
red 27, that's very interesting, and we'll have to beg to differ " the strung out and random nature of the town, combined with a mish-mash of styles and materials and the clear lack of a strategic design to control and plan development" is exactly what I think saves the place from being like Tignes or Val Thorens or Avoriaz or Flaine or ..... Because there was a village here (actually more than one), and the land belonged to lots of different people who sold or developed it when they felt like it/needed the money/whatever. So the development has been over a long period of time, and consequently is certainly not 'purpose built'. However you prefer a 'one time' build - that's fine.

They were going to put weather hoods on the 8 man .... they just never did! rolling eyes Sunny again today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returned from LDA and had a fantastic time, the slopes were superb and the resort had a good range of shops and bars, the weather was great apart from a few flat light days which made it a bit difficult to see, but as our instructor kept saying, we had to ski with our feet not our eyes, (whatever that meant). Have already decided to return next year
Cobbled a few video clips of lifts and slopes if anyone's interested,( I apologise for the choice of music) wink
http://uk.youtube.com/v/OrNowgHgTsg
snow conditions
Bartezki, Glad you had a good time, and I enjoyed your vid and the music. Very Happy the Souleil'Or is a really nice hotel and the food there is to die for.

It started out cold again today and sunny, got a bit cloudier around lunchtime and then improved again later in the afternoon. I don't doubt though, that a change is ont he way. Above about 1800m the snow is holding up. Off piste on Posettes (see pic) and Grande Pente the conditions were quite nice, but some cannons had done some water spraying down inthe village and there was some nasty crunchy stuff around down there. Sad
snow conditions
Just back from a great weeek at LDA...and feelin the back to work blues. Yes its not the prettiest resort , yes the 8 man chair is cold , yes the Italians are a pain, yes the place was busy at new year ... but for variety of skiing and opportunity to explore its pretty damn good...this is 4th time here and me and mini-pistemister found plenty of new bits to explore Laughing a bad day in LDA beats a Monday in central London anytime !
ski holidays
easiski, yeah we could ride down to P1 snow wasn't great in the woods though although there was enough. The snow was variable depending on aspect fantastic in the vallons de la Meije didn't look good in the Chancel, I've slapped some words and photos on my trip thread in snowboarding.
snow report
pistemister, snowHead Laughing Yes indeed - AMEN all that!
ski holidays
Butterfly wrote:
am counting the days down (64 now)!

By my calculations, I'll be there at the same time Smile Watch out!

Can you please tell me, how I can access easiski's web site?
ski holidays
espri, there is a link in her sig. Www.Easiski.com. I am there 7th to 21st March. See link in my sig for trip info.
snow conditions
pistemister, They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery snowHead I have to agree with your comments about LDA though. (Oh, and welcome to Snowheads)
ski holidays
Thanks, Butterfly. I certainly qualify under older but we're already booked into a hotel (week from the 8th). Maybe we'll bump into each other on the slopes - not too hard, I hope Smile
snow conditions
Butterfly, My sig seems to have disappeared - don't know why. pistemister, Glad you had fun - would you have 2 minis by any chance???

espri, Not everyone is staying in the same place as the Lutins doesn't suit everyone, but it will be our base - where are you staying?

Looks miz today - dusting of snow overnight.
latest report
espri, look forward to meeting you Smile
snow report
Have they opened the link from LDA to La Grave yet or do you have to drive around?

TIA

B
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy