Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
thank you all for the suggestions - I've previously had Lucy, Jenny, Rupert and Peter (dogs) and Little Girl and Squeaky (cats). Lucy and LG were already named when I got them, and Squeaky just made so much noise as a small kitten she couldn't be called anything else! Very Happy

Now, however, I'm completely stuffed as it's snowed buckets in the night and I'm unable to get the van out. No snowplough. Shocked I'll take a photo later. It's still snowing a bit. I hope they do pass by as there's no way I'm going anywhere until they have. Sad Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski wrote:
I'm completely stuffed as it's snowed buckets in the night and I'm unable to get the van out.

Sounds like a nice problem to have to deal with Wink Photos please...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As he is black, I think Valentin would be a good name for him.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or Les Aymes. Les is a good name for a cat. To give the thing a surname is better still.

Anyway, less importantly, how much snow are we looking at outside your house Charlotte? Are you able to operate the drawbridge?! wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, second vote for that one! Cool name for a cat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, George said can you call him DINNER as he'll be down at christmas to see him wink wink

P.S I dont actually think he knows what a cat is so he should be quite safe Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK - thanks for all the suggestions! There was a lot of snow last night. the snowplough finally did it's thing around lunchtime, and I managed to get the van out mid-afternoon. I put it at the top of the hill to be safe since I absolutely have to go out in it tomorrow. Thanks to Mr Lizzard who went to the builders merchants and then drove all the way up here to deliver the floor insulation he got for me, I have at least been able to finish the little kitchen extension. I was not liking the idea of poor little pussy moving into a house full of horrid noises and drilling and dangerous sharp objects. Shocked

I've taken a picture looking up at the Grand Pente with Sapins and l'Y to the right, also one looking down from the corner of my road, and another looking up from the same point. The white vehicle you can see in the first one is actually my van. Shocked Shocked You can see that although the snowplough had passed by at about 05.00 it hadn't since, and it clearly wasn't possible to get up the hill from mine!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My subaru Forester would eat that slight incline. You may need to get one wink

No need for snow chains, just good snow tyres Very Happy

Have a good winter! NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chappers, I have snow tyres (doh!) - I was standing on the apex of a 90deg bend, so it's hard to keep going. No car was coming up that unless it had chains and 4x4 at that point yesterday. Don't forget that the camera minimises. I invite you to come and actually look at the road. However, a Subaru costs a fortune to service (I've had friends with them), you can't convert it to either a motorhome or an MPV at will, so I'll stick with the E team van. Very Happy Normally I don't really need to get out with the car, it was just today and yesterday that it was important.

It's clear today and will be sunny, but there's a bit of light cloud around We'll see how it goes later Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ooh what a difference to June! Can't wait for March and look forward to meeting "His Royal Felineness" - wonder how he'll get on with the "dynamic duo" from the road above!

Chappers, it sure is a steep hill - made Mr B puff & pant walking up it in the summer!

On the subject of vehicles/snow, in the small amount of snow we had here Sunday some dodo managed to overturn a RangeRover, obviously thinking 4x4=invincible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, easiski, you are right horses for courses.

Subarus are mega expensive to service/fix but honestly they are the best 4x4 car by far.

Anyway, back on topic, snow looks great and I wish I had that snow when I was in L2A. snowHead

I am out this weekend to my place where there's been a bit of snow. Cant wait! NehNeh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What about naming the cat after your favourite run - I was going to suggest one but all the LDA maps online are terrible...

although calling him marmottes might give him an identity crisis...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 25-11-08 20:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, Shocked Shocked

Have you got 'CAT' then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, Believe it or not we don't actually have a run called 'Marmottes' - we must be the only place in France. R32, et al - YES. I went to Chambery and collected the cat without a hitch. He does have a name (I thought he must), and he's called Ioda - that is Yoda with an I. Very Happy When we got in it took him about half an hour of exploring before I got a purr, since then he's been asleep on my bed, but his efforts at typing have to be discouraged! He's still too unsettled to photograph though. Hopefully tomorrow.

To the snow and weather: it was nice when I left LDA this morning and I took the photo of the Valentin with tracks and cannons working. Very Happy It's a bit hard to see the tracks. However in the valley it was dull, cold and miserable. The snow doesn't quite go down to Grenoble, but is on the higher pastures around the town. As I drove back up the mountain I could see fabulous sunshine on the Vaujaunay side of ADH, and sure enough it looked as though it had been fairly nice all day here - bah!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, cant wait to meet Ioda Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
How about parking the car in L2A?

All i can find is 'free along the main street' or Place de Venosc carpark at http://www.2alpesnet.com/travel/les-deux-alpes-transport-and-parking.htm

(Excelent series of websites for various resorts btw, has truly good information)
ski holidays
Ronald, that's what there is, as well as a big parking area at the entrance to resort. Parking can be a nightmare in 2Alpes, especially at peak times.
snow report
Lizzard, fortunately i'm going there the quietest time of the season (judging the accomodation prices)
latest report
lampbus, I may change his name - the force is definitely NOT with him. He looks quite egyptian, so I may have to call him either Jack (Jumping Jack Flash) or Anubis (rather nasty aincient egyptian ..... Of course having made sure I got absolutely no sleep all night he's now ....
ski holidays
easiski, Smile

Have you not bought him a bed yet Shocked wink
snow report
Jack the cat....like it lots Cool
snow conditions
He's certainly outrageously cute.
snow conditions
Lizzard, I think he likes you more than he likes me!

It's been a lovely day today, but very cold all day in spite of the sun. I haven't gone further than my cave, but here's anice picture of the early evening sky over La Muzelle.
snow report
easiski, only because I haven't swiped him onto the floor for trying to get into the sink!
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
lampbus, I may change his name - the force is definitely NOT with him. He looks quite egyptian, so I may have to call him either Jack (Jumping Jack Flash) or Anubis (rather nasty aincient egyptian ..... Of course having made sure I got absolutely no sleep all night he's now ....

Surely for a ski-cat you'd want to call him Horus - the god of the sky?
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
easiski, only because I haven't swiped him onto the floor for trying to get into the sink!

......but if he wants a bath......???

I was in stitches picturing the scene!
ski holidays
easiski, So after he got in the sink you gave him 30secs in the micky-wave to dry off? Shocked You europeans and animals! rolling eyes
snow report
bertie bassett, Good one. He does seem to actually like water Shocked Shocked and is fascinated by both the sink and the loo. Every time he gets onto the sink (which is also where my little work surface is) I pick him up and plonk him back on the floor. The last time, as soon as I started towards the sink he jumped off - learning. Very Happy He was much quieter last night and only woke me up 3 times. we've been outside this morning with him on a harness and he was very doubtful about it all. Laughing

the cannons are still working , and it's clear and sunny again today, but at 10.00 it was still -10 on the balcony (shade). Brrrr. Also good news, the Police Municipal are taking the Scorpio off and doing the doings with it. It turns out that you can't just take your junk foreign car to the breakers - all sorts of hoops, but the local (Venosc) police have done this before and were actually very helpful.

It looks as though the pisteurs have been skiing down, but the tracks on the Diable are very traversy, although there are nice little turns on Sapins. clearly the snow low down is a bit crusty. I hope they put the machines over the Valentin, if so I'll ski down, but having encountered 'cannon crust' before, I don't think I'll try it on Saturday if the machines haven't done the business. Looking good though for the opening. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, All looks fab - still hoping to get over to see you this side of Xmas depending on how things go when we 'land'. Love the mog (apologies to Ioda, Jack, Valentin, Horus etc Swift if he believes he's better bred than a mere mog). From the photo, it looks like he's trying to name himself - Miaowlinex
snow report
easiski, if there is enough snow do they open the la grave link before January as listed on lift pass blurb? Puzzled
latest report
Sorry - taking up space needlessly Embarassed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-11-08 13:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
markyb, very unlikely. Charlotte will confirm, but I've not known the snowcat liaison to open earlier than mid January
It takes a lot of snow to bring La Grave into condition, as the area is formed of great big boulders etc.
Nonetheless, you can hike over the top (about 20-30mins depending on your capacity to wheeze uncontrollably in the thin air), or else drive round the Lac du Chambon and up to La Grave, and get the lift up from there. Either way, it's worth it, cos the place blows your mind.
Oh yes, and it can kill you easily! wink
snow conditions
just out on interest seeing as i am heading to lda in jan how good a skiier do you have to be to take on la grave??
snow report
paulmck, I agree Very Happy , skied it for the first time April 2009 with a guide used the link. will probably skin over for a look if their is a clear day. Christmas Eve anyone interested in sharing a guide?(if conditions worth it).
ski holidays
chewy192, not all that good (I did it last year) but you certainly need a guide.
latest report
markyb, It's not a question of access so much as whether their glacier is deemed safe, so skinning and walking aren't really a good idea. However you can drive round and go up on their lifts (they're usually open by christmas), but you may not be able to ski below 2,400. If the liaison is not open you have to pay for a day pass at LG. Serious advice should be taken about the crevasses on their glacier before considering going over if it's not open.

chewy192, I say min 7 weeks, what you need is control and to be steady and solid on your skis in variable snow conditions. We'll see, anyway.

today's pic is the standard view of the Diable out of my bedroom window... Very Happy Very Happy wink and I don't know if you can make out the tracks - they are there. Also, if you compare it with the last time I took this view, you'll see a serious difference. snowHead
ski holidays
easiski, thanks for advice see you in 23 days Smile welcome suggested on early season skiing with guide
snow conditions
easiski, suggestions Embarassed
ski holidays
markyb, Not long to go Very Happy Very Happy

easiski, There were loads of tracks showing on the bikepark webcam yesterday.....looked quite deep too Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
easiski, I say min 7 weeks, what you need is control and to be steady and solid on your skis in variable snow conditions. We'll see, anyway.

i have 7 weeks skiing experience and i fairly solid on my skis but i haven't done hardly any off piste but i am willing to give it a go Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy