Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF take UK tour ops to court over alleged illegal ski guiding

Poster: A snowHead
Bend ze knees ...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From http://www.planetski.eu/news/5328

Crystal have cancelled their contract with the ESF and are going with Evolution 2

Quote:
"With this new service we are providing a more comprehensive, flexible ski school product to our customers as well as days out on the slopes for those who don't want instruction, but want to discover the ski area as part of a group," said Crystal Ski overseas director, Nikki Hooper.

"The main aim is to assist skiers and snowboarders to discover the ski area in a fun and safe way giving them some tips along the way if needed," said Hervé Favre, founder of Evolution 2.

ooohh that's going to put someone's nose out of joint!

Slightly ironic that this whole situation arose because it was believe that the ESF would lose trade due to hosting and, as a result, they are losing trade...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very interesting - sounds a good arrangement and perhaps if some of the "guided" punters find the "tips along the way" useful, and hit it off with the instructors, they'll sign up for some proper lessons, too. The instructors designated for those guiding days will have a terrific marketing opportunity. For some people it might be the first time they've come into direct contact with an instructor for many years.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
feef, Good for Crystal. I doubt the indies have the capacity everywhere to accommodate a full switch but if I'd been the Director of a non ESF school past winter I'd have been courting TO big cheeses like crazy whenever they came to town.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
so the burning question is then...

will the ESF take it on the chin with a shrug of the shoulders or will they now start to try and run the independent schools out of town as well?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Terrific! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, +1 - good points

feef, thanks for posting. How deeply ironic snowHead Laughing
Nice one Crystal and Evolution 2

fatbob, ansta1, indeed - try and guard the cheese(s) ESF! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
it was believe that the ESF would lose trade due to hosting and, as a result, they are losing trade
Thus was it ever so...
Unfriendly protectionism just sends people away from you by one route or another.
ansta1 wrote:
will the ESF take it on the chin with a shrug of the shoulders or will they now start to try and run the independent schools out of town as well?
They already try to do that - it's quite common.
Only a couple of seasons ago we had trouble with ESF instructors trying to intimidate British and French instructors who were working for us via an independent local ski school. As a result the school brought in an official 'legal observer' who mingled amongst the snowHeads on race day to make sure we had the evidence should the matter escalate. It wasn't even because we were Brits; the school, a long established one in that village had been getting grief all season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

They already try to do that - it's quite common.
Only a couple of seasons ago we had trouble with ESF instructors trying to intimidate British and French instructors who were working for us via an independent local ski school. As a result the school brought in an official 'legal observer' who mingled amongst the snowHeads on race day to make sure we had the evidence should the matter escalate. It wasn't even because we were Brits; the school, a long established one in that village had been getting grief all season.

but will they now, as they have done with TO guiding/leading try and make a legal case somehow (can't see how without significant changes) that to instruct in France you have to be ESF or registered with the ESF and pay them a fee?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 well done Crystal better get more pop corn for this thread Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Crystal aren't the only ones looking for alternatives either.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well done Crystal, IF I was booking a holiday through a TO, that's the sort of extra detail that would tempt me back to Crystal.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1 wrote:
but will they now, as they have done with TO guiding/leading try and make a legal case somehow (can't see how without significant changes) that to instruct in France you have to be ESF or registered with the ESF and pay them a fee?
Clearly that's not within their power or they'd have done it already - it's not as if they haven't been trying. There is a long history of the ESF lobbying the authorities to tip the field in their favour by whatever means possible. But, although they're a big, well-known, old-school organisation, there's still a limit to what their influence can achieve in an [officially] open market.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin, Back before snowHeads began we used Prosneige in VT for the kids. The story of their struggle to set up in business in the early days was a real tribute to their determination. ifirc their original office had all manner of things crash into it windows and physical obstacles put in the doorway etc etc
I guess Evo 2 will know what to expect!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 19-09-13 12:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Herve Favre, the founder & owner of EV2, has always been very forward thinking and unlike most French understands marketing & clients. He no doubt sees a win win situation for his ski schools.

I can see a few ESF instructors moving to EV2 this winter.
snow report
stewart woodward,
Quote:

I can see a few ESF instructors moving to EV2 this winter.

Particularly the English speaking ones I would guess?
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Well done Crystal, IF I was booking a holiday through a TO, that's the sort of extra detail that would tempt me back to Crystal.

To be fair it would take a lot more than that to tempt me back to Crystal. They've let us down too many times.

But good on them for taking this line, I hope all the other British TOs follow suit.
ski holidays
Quote:

To be fair it would take a lot more than that to tempt me back to Crystal. They've let us down too many times.

+1
snow report
andyhull, only been with Crystal once and they were excellent. Rep had naff all to do adn was more than happy to help in any way she could.
snow conditions
Our recent trip to Garda was with Thomson/Crystal and I couldn't fault it.
latest report
Another satisfied Crystal customer here - never had anything but good experiences in a number of places.
ski holidays
Possibly they have upped their game, price was usually competitive but always let down by the staff, vowed never to use them again about 8 years ago.
snow report
Cacciatore, +1

In fact haven't travelled with anyone else for the last 8 years (bar one).
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/fhWlAKdlQp4
snow report
I hope Ski Esprit and others can come up with similar arrangements!!!
latest report
Much as I don't agree with ESF on this I have always been extremely happy with the lessons my girls had with them on esprit holidays.
ski holidays
Next move for the ESF? Their effort to eradicate zee inglish peeste donkee. You don't want to take lessons with us? We'll lobby hard to demand ze skieur competence certificate which naturally we are in the best place to adminster and judge.

Edit: FTAOD - comedy Peter Sellers accent intended not casual xenophobia.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob,
Quote:

not casual xenophobia.
Hardly, particularly when Le Rosbifs are refered as Le Be Nice please! by some locals. Sad

Thu 19 Sep, 13
17:32

function openAllSmiles(){
smiles = window.open('quick_reply.php?mode=smilies', '_phpbbsmilies', 'HEIGHT=300,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,WIDTH=250');
smiles.focus();
return false;
}

function quoteSelection() {

theSelection = false;
if (window.getSelection) {
theSelection = window.getSelection().toString();
}
else if (document.selection) {
theSelection = document.selection.createRange().text;
}

if (theSelection) {
// Add tags around selection
emoticon( '
Quote:
\n' + theSelection + '\n
\n');
document.post.message.focus();
theSelection = '';
return;
}else{
alert('Select a text anywhere on a page and try again');
}
}

function storeCaret(textEl) {
if (textEl.createTextRange) textEl.caretPos = document.selection.createRange().duplicate();
}

function emoticon(text) {
if (document.post.message.createTextRange && document.post.message.caretPos) {
var caretPos = document.post.message.caretPos;
caretPos.text = caretPos.text.charAt(caretPos.text.length - 1) == ' ' ? text + ' ' : text;
} else {
document.post.message.value += text;
}
}

function checkForm() {
formErrors = false;
if (document.post.message.value.length < 2) {
formErrors = 'You might want to enter a message when posting.';
}
if (formErrors) {
alert(formErrors);
return false;
} else {
if (document.post.quick_quote.checked) {
document.post.message.value = document.post.last_msg.value + document.post.message.value;
}
document.post.quick_quote.checked = false;
return true;
}
}

fatbob,
ski holidays
Crumbs! waht happened there?
latest report
You just trying to baffle us with bullsheet?
snow conditions
pam w, quick! Laughing
ski holidays
pam w, Laughing Laughing
No Confused
snow report
I'd like to share everyone's optimism but as I see it it'll be like a congestion charge. It initially works then everybody goes back to normal. ESF will loose business initially, but ultimately, even if it's from EV2, Crystal is now using fully qualified instructors as hosts. ESF are kind of getting what they want and eventually people will do business with them again as they are unlikely to go bust even with this...
Call me cynical if you want...
snow report
Crystal will now be offering one day of free hosting, on Sunday, rather than several days during the week which I guess was the case in previous seasons? It will, of course, be an ideal opportunity for Evo2 to upsell to lessons later in the week. If ski hosting is an important part of your holidays requirements I'd say that looking to other countries might still be your best option.
latest report
Crystal & Evolution 2 providing "try before you buy" for their customers.

Kicking Horse Snowsports School, BC, Canada was offering this almost 10 years ago.

Free, daily 1 hr mountain familiarisation tours with instructors from the Snowsports School.

Lesson uptake went through the roof.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Crystal will now be offering one day of free hosting, on Sunday, rather than several days during the week which I guess was the case in previous seasons? It will, of course, be an ideal opportunity for Evo2 to upsell to lessons later in the week. If ski hosting is an important part of your holidays requirements I'd say that looking to other countries might still be your best option.

Is that the official line? Got any links ?
ski holidays
feef, I think that's what I read on PlanetSki. Will see if I can find it.
snow report
http://www.planetski.eu/news/5328
snow conditions
The article has been updated then, it wasn't there before I'm sure.. or maybe I read it too fast Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy